New Onkyo HT-S770!

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through December 06, 2004Night Raven100
Archive through July 27, 2004Tom Licciardello100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

15 Inch Fred
Unregistered guest
I'm running a sony dvd plaver but I need to upgrade.

Unregistered guest
Folks,

I've decided to order this system as well. Can somebody recommend speaker stands for the HTS770S (Silver). I guess silver stands would be a better match but I have no clue what to order.

Also, after reading complains about the included wire, I guess I need to order wire as well. Is it only one type of wire I need to order? appreciate any help on this. I dont know anything about this.

thanks in advance

Bronze Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 15
bigcat, Ikea has some good silver speaker stands that are perfect for the small speakers that that system comes with.

Bronze Member
Username: Twodaend

Alsip, IL

Post Number: 11
Bigcat, I have the same system, I have these speaker stands for the fronts and my surrounds are mounted into the ceiling using these brackets. You can also get these matching stands for the surrounds. I tried them, but the sound was better to me when higher up, so the ceiling was it for me.

Front Stands
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F007%5F002%5F009%5F006&product%5Fid=40%2D2106

Ceiling/Wall Mounts
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F007%5F002%5F009%5F006&product%5Fid=40%2D2087

Surround Stands
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F007%5F002%5F009%5F006&product%5Fid=40%2D2105

Username: Phaserstwostun

Post Number: 1
I just bought a new Onkyo hts770 and i pluged every thing in correctly and it worked fine untill like a hr later i started to hear static noises from some of the speakers and they just shut off and now there is no output to the speakers, even if i change inputs....ive tried switching listening modes and they still dont work.....does ne one know what happend....thanx

Username: Excalibur

Post Number: 9
Make sure that the speaker wires did not get pulled out of the receiver. That happenned to me a few times while I was moving my entertainment center around. Also make sure that on the receiver that speaker "A" isn't off. Also do a test tone to see which speakers are off. Try cutting the receiver off and on and see what happens. I hope some of this helps you a bit. P.S. Fry's had an after Christmas day sale and had the Onkyo HTS-770 for only $349.99. I already own one and the sale is over now, but I just thought you all should know.

Anonymous

Recently bought the Onkyo HT-S777C (770 with the DVD player). Great system, fantastic sound... so I thought! After three nights of movie watching euphoria, I flipped the reciever ON as I had previously. As I searched for the TV remote (dont have the monstrous Onko remote programmed yet) I heard a slight pop in the two front mains. Next I noticed a "stream" of white smoke rising out of the front of the mains as I scrambled to kill the power. Upon removing the front covers I discovered both tweeters had "melted". I restored power to the receiver and selected the tuner input and the darn thing worked just as before, albeit no highs from the mains. Almost as if the receiver had come up in a "DC" mode the first time on.
Since that time each time I would remove the power from the stack (power strip) and then restart the system, the mains would squeal when first powered up. Go to standby and back on, OK??????
Called Onkyo support (Man, thats a waste of time, literally! Hold 2x for 30+ min) No troubleshooting, no ideas, no Help! Call to HH Greg is getting the system replaced, but I am concerned since I bought two of these systems (one for a cousin) and I don't want to find out later it was a bad choice.
Any feedback?

Disillusioned
Unregistered guest
See my post below, "Onkyo=Headache", these things are very problematic, I regret buying mine and I wish I could give you some helpful advice, other than try to get a refund....

Post Number: 10
That's messed up

Unregistered guest
FYI - - picked this up at CC for $426 2 weeks before Christmas. Heard about the speaker wires and replaced them with higrade wires. Can't imagine a better kickin sound for the price.

QUESTION!!!! - I have a Scientific Atlanta cable box (just like Cha) and a Samsung DVD/VCR, neither of which have codes listed for them in the manual. Does anyone know if Onkyo has issued codes recently for these? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Unregistered guest
FYI - - picked this up at CC for $426 2 weeks before Christmas. Heard about the speaker wires and replaced them with higrade wires. Can't imagine a better kickin sound for the price.

QUESTION!!!! - I have a Scientific Atlanta cable box (just like Cha) and a Samsung DVD/VCR, neither of which have codes listed for them in the manual. Does anyone know if Onkyo has issued codes recently for these? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, messed up the previous post. I'm referring to the codes for the remote.

x94blair3
Unregistered guest
I bought this system from Circuit city and also upgraded the speaker wire. I paired it with Onkyo's 6 disc CD changer and a Sony 775 DVD player. So far I'm thrilled. I pulled it out, hooked things up and said.."sweet, surround sound". Then as the days have gone by I've tinkered with the subwoofer crossover, setting the speakers to small, etc. It keeps sounding better and better. I'd originally done a ton of research and planned to do an awesome hookup in the basement. Then I decided I couldn't wait and figured I could have this in the living room..it makes movies a much better experience!

I'd recommend the Onkyo 6 disc CD changer for anyone that's interested too..seems to work great and sound good. I've got it hooked up via analog so it's being passed through by the receiver.

Anonymous

Ed- I purchased the OmniMount AB2 per your recommendation and it wont fit with the included hardware. How did you get it to fit?

redjak
Unregistered guest
I just bought HT-S770 at CC for $499.00. I didn't do any research. I had just bought an InFocus X2 DLP Projector and figured I needed some kind of sound, too. I extended the warranty for another $90.00.

Like Blues Driver 22, I also have the Samsung DVD/VCR combo and would really appreciate getting the control codes if they are available. I have set up the VCR button to a Samsung code and that gives me limited control, but *full* control would be better.

Tonight I will replace the cables with 16 gauge and (based on what I am reading) maybe mess with some settings... does this sound right?
1. Speakers to large
2. Crossover to 100
3. Set surround speakers to 4-6db???

Hope this makes more sense to me once I try it.

Anything else I should try?

MightyMet
Unregistered guest
Can someone list the DSP's(Rock, Jazz, etc) that this system has? Even the Onkyo site doesn't list them.

Anonymous

Update to the OmniMount AB2 from Radio Shack. I ended up going to Ace Hardware and purchasing some 1/2" long, 8-32 machine screws, lock washers and some square nuts. These seem to fit the mounts and the speakers OK. I installed one of the rear speakers and it seems to work fine. The mounting hardware that came with the mounts were too long and would bottom out on the speaker before they were tight. Hopefully I'll have everything done this weekend so I can finally enjoy it. :-)

RFM
Unregistered guest
Hello. I'm new to the forum, but have been reading you guys' material since Christmas. I just received my backordered 770 Friday, spent most of the day Saturday putting it together with the upgraded 16 guage wires, and I'm pretty happy with it. I have some tinkering to do with some of the settings, but for the most part, I'm happy with it. I got it from www.outpost.com for $399, no tax, no S/H. (BTW, I noticed CC has it for $424.99 now).

Any way, no problems with it yet. I just wanted to say thanks to all for your inputs on this thread and others that helped with my decision to purchase. Take care!
--Mark

Username: Bigcat

Post Number: 3
Folks, I have a newbie questions. I connected all bare wires to the equipment. I hear people talking about banana plugs but I haven't found detailed info on how these work.

Are these for connecting the wire to the speakers, or to the receiver?

If to the receiver, will the 770's receiver accept these? I am not exactly sure how. Where would I plug these things into? anybody has a picture to illustrate? thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2459
Big Cat,
Banan plugs are just a matter of convenience. You can get the crimp-on, twist-on or screw-in type. If you change things around quite a bit, much like myself, it is great, but other than that, bare ware is the best connection for your speakers.
I have bare wire from my receiver, but I use banana plugs for my speaker terminals, as I change and audition different speakers all the time.

You Onkyo should have a 5 way speaker input.

Bronze Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 71
I found my surround speakers have low volume and it may be because I used 14 gaug (17 feet) wire for fronts and center and 16 gaug (50 feet) for surrounds. I set surrounda at +5-8db. Much better. The hassle is I have to set it everytime I turn on the system, how can I save that setting?

Username: Bigcat

Post Number: 4
Thanks Berny. Still dont know whether these can be used to connect wire to the receiver (this receiver).

1st61, if you make the changes using the setup menu, it will make the changes permanent.

Username: Aox

I need some help. I just received this Home Theater system from Crutchfield and I've got it all set up and it works great except for one thing. For some reason Video In on Video 1 does not put a picture on my tv. If I plug my DVD player into any of the other ports, video 2, video 3, or the dvd ports it works fine. Am I doing something wrong? Was the video 1 ports pre-programmed to do something else (??) and I have to re-program it? Or do I have a faulty receiver on my hands? If so has anyone been through this before, returning such a big item? Any advice would be amazing...

Anonymous

Adam Orange,

Isn't the Video 1 input one with a in and an out for a VCR or recording device? Have you got a cable attached to the Video in or out on that input? It might only send video out of the video out part on the video 1 input? Just a thought.

Post Number: 2
http://www.us.onkyo.com/images/products/Receiver/large/TXSR502r.jpg

There's the back of the SR502, which is pretty much the same. So (Video 1 - In) is only for a VCR or recording device? I can't put anything else there?

Anyone know if it states that in the 770 manual and on what page?

Bronze Member
Username: Steelydan

Post Number: 23
Adam... hope this helps.

It says in the manual that video 1 is used for connecting a VCR. So perhaps, yes, it will not work with a dvd player.

Have you tried connecting a VCR to that input (assuming you have a vcr) to see if it works? If you still are not getting a picture, then I would say you have a faulty receiver.

Of course, If you get a picture with the DVD input then who cares? This is the proper input to use anyway. You will not use input one anyway.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Adam,

Go to page 8 in your HT-R520 manual. You will see it documented here

Here is a link to the PDF if you dont have it onhand..

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/580/580HTS770.PDF

K, I tried a VCR and it's the same as when I tried my DVD Player, all I get is the sound. No picture is going to my TV. Any other ideas before I call Onkyo?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Im assuming youve tried changing your tv input to video 1.

what my name is
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know where i can get just the subwoofer for the 770 at? And if so, how much is it? I can't find this subwoofer by itself anywhere.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Have you tried the Onkyo website? http://www.us.onkyo.com/

what my name is
Unregistered guest
I've tried the Onkyo web site, ive tried ebay, amazon, and sveral other websites. I can't find it anywhere.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
The Onyko site sell the 770 subwoofer alone for $150 http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog.cfm?id=8

Anonymous

The video input and the video output have to be the same as the receiver does not convert signals. If you are using s-video from the receiver to the tv then you have to use s-video from the DVD to the receiver. There are many ways to connect it, but just remember that if you go through the receiver the video has to be the same through it.

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Post Number: 225
Excalibur thank you, I appreciate your help, but that is the wrong subwoofer. That subwoofer is only 150 watts, the 770's subwoofer is 220 watts.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I think that 150 watts is RMS wattage and 220 is peak wattage

Username: Mirdreams

Right now you can get the black refurbished at J&R for $249.88. The shipping's a little high but I called them and they knocked $40 off the price of the system and $20 off the cost of shipping in NYC. Worth a call to see if they can do better for you as well.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4007837

602 too
Unregistered guest
Hey Excalibur, how's your system working out?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
My system is working out great. I don't use the Onkyo remote anymore because all the buttons don't light up. I use the Sony RMAV-3100 instead. I was watching The Empire Strikes Back and it was amazing. Everytime a ship would fly by you can hear it pass you. And when people are talking off camera, it seems as if you have other people in your house behind you espically when the lights are out. I don't use the speakers that came with them. I use 4 Polk R50's and 2 JBL center speakers for then front center and the rear surround. One thing that I wish is that the onkyo allowed your other componets to work while the receiver is off. You have to cut the receiver on for any picture to show if you are running everything thru the Onkyo. Other than that I love it.

602 too
Unregistered guest
( had a hard time finding this thread ). Yeah I have to set my remote on top of the receiver to warm it up so it will work. And it's always backwards when I pick it up. $53 dollars to replace, ouch. I bought a JBL 250 cause the first sub, the Onkyo filled the room better on the left of the room, left of the cellos. Now my room has some real 'throat'. Like you I'm going to replace the center channel with an JBL. I have some Polks from '83. Still tickin' and sound 'great' thanks for the reply

Essess
Unregistered guest
I just a bought a S770 - my first HTIB. I connected my Sony DVD player to the 520 receiver using a optical cable. I don't seem to be able to get some of the dolby digital modes listed in the manual. Specifically, the movie I was trying to test this on was Matrix (Dolby Digital 5.1). The only modes I could see were the PLII x and the dts Neo6. Also, the auto detect of the format said it was a PCM. I don't know if this is correct. Is there a particular kind of cable to use? Any experiences and suggestions will be helpful. Thanks.

Jimi James
Unregistered guest
Hi - I have an Onkyo HTS-520 (speaker system for the 770). I'm using it with an older JVC receiver that has NO subwoofer out. Is there any kind of crossover in the subwoofer? I assume not, since it expects you to use the Onkyo receiver. Does anybody know?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
It seems to have a consensus that the two front speakers suck a little bit. I am planning to replace them with two floorstanding speakers. What's the specs I better to choose? i.e. power, frenquency, impedence... I have a friend and he can get me a pair with deep discount on some products but I need to have a better idea before I take any.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
The receiver specs:
Power output:
All channels:130 W (8 Omega, 20 Hz--20 kHz, FTC)
Dynamic power: 2 x 260 W (3Omega, front)
2 x 200 W (4Omega, front)
2 x 95 W (8Omega, front)

Front speakers specs:
Front Speaker (SKF-520F)
Type: 2 Way Bass-reflex
Impedance: 8 Omega
Maximum input power: 130 W
Output sound pressure level: 87 dB/W/m
Frequency response: 55 Hz--50 kHz
Crossover frequency: 4.5 kHz
Cabinet capacity: 0.38 cubic feet (10.8 L)

Look at the impedance of the receiver and speakers, is this the reason the fron speakers don't sound very good?

Bronze Member
Username: Tomltoons

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 29
In response to 1st61 I would not go with any jap speakers like sony or yamaha. I have Cerwin Vega's that I kept for my fronts. They are large 12 inchg woofers 3 way speakers but kick butt. Especially for the music side of it. I tried the ones they gave for fronts and a big difference it makes. I love my Cerwins. Maybe Polk or other American or Canadian speakers are good. Expect to pay atleast 300 a pair for quality ones. Mine were 400 8 years ago. What a booming sound. Bigger is better. Tom

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Sorry that I misused Omega in my last post and I should use 'Ohm' on the specs.

Thank you Tom. I am considering polk and other American or European speakers. I will see what's available to me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Some conflicts in the specs.

On page 17 there is warning:
Only use speakers with an impedance of 8 ohms or
higher. Connecting speakers with an impedance of
less than 8 ohms may damage the HT-R520.

And on page 59 the receiver specs are:
Power output:
All channels:
130 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz--20 kHz, FTC)
Dynamic power: 2 x 260 W (3 ohms, front)
2 x 200 W (4 ohms, front)
2 x 95 W (8 ohms, front)

So that's the deal?If the receive is can't handle speakers with impedance lower than 8 ohms why the hell they list it on its specs? A receiver that can't handle speakers with low impedance (4 ohm or lower) is deemed mediocre or poor one. I feel a littel regretable.

onkyoman
Unregistered guest
mustang, there is a setting for optical input and you will hear all speakers

Username: Gettinolder

Question about the High pitch noise problems when the unit is powered on... Is the High pitch coming from the unit or the speakers?

If it is coming from the unit (receiver), it sounds as though a transistor is breaking down (probably an op-amp). Any unit that is doing this needs to be replaced... it's usually only a matter of time before the device goes out completely.

new2onkyo
Unregistered guest
I can not get my ht-s770s to play in DTS mode.
I read somewhere that I need an external DTS decoder.

I thought the HT-s770s does the decoding?

Username: Thalazy

San Ramon, California U.S.A

Post Number: 10
new2onkyo you need a dvd player that can play movies in DTS, some dvd players only have Dolby digital decoders, so you are unable to watch a movie in DTS you need one that has both.

new2onkyo
Unregistered guest
Figured out the DTS problem. The DTS setting on my DVD player was turned off and you coulld only turn it on if there is no disk in the system.

By the way, can anyone suggest some good stands to use.

new2onkyo
Unregistered guest
Figured out the DTS problem. The DTS setting on my DVD player was turned off and you coulld only turn it on if there is no disk in the system.

new2onkyo
Unregistered guest
Figured out the DTS problem. The DTS setting on my DVD player was turned off and you could only turn it on if there is no disk in the system.

new2onkyo
Unregistered guest

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
You can check out
OmniMount 24" Wood Speaker Stand Pair (WS24)(OMS WS24)
OmniMount 24" Wood Speaker Stand Pair (WS24)
available for $59.99 at Circuit city.com
I have a pair for my Onkyo 770 and they are great, and are perfect for holding the speakers.

bena
Unregistered guest
I am using a Sony TV HDMI input for DVD and Cable Card for Cable (Not cable box). What will be the best connection option here ?

1) TV (optical OUT) - Onkyo (optical IN 1)

OR

2) TV (optical OUT) - Onkyo (optical IN 1)
and DVD (optical OUT) - Onkyo (optical IN 2)

Username: Michaelg

I have found the Onkyo Ht-S770 online for about $250 b/c it is refurbished. Has anyone had any experience with refurbished units? Please adviese before I go buy them. Thanks.
Mike

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Michael- refurbished units should work good as new, the only wonside is that it may contain dings and scratches. They do put a large refurbished sticker most likely on the bottom of the reciever (which is a hassle to get off). I bought an Onkyo dvd player refurbished, no problems, not even a scratch or ding. It does come with a 1 year warranty, which is a great deal considering a new unit has a 2 year warranty. If you can live with some comsetic damage then you should be fine.

Username: Gettinolder

I just bought a referb unit online for $269. I got it 3 days after I placed my order, and I couldn't be happier! Works perfectly; looks perfect (not one blimish) and it carries a one year warranty. For an extra $30 bucks I think you can up that to 2 years.

Not to mention that this is a great system! I used it to replace a 5 year old (non-digital) Kenwood 500 watt surround system.

I love this thing!!!

Username: Michaelg

Did the $269 include shipping, where did you get the unit from. i'm also looking to add the dv-cp702 dvd 6 disc changer. do you know anything about that. thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Tomltoons

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 30
About the high pitch noise:

Good news, so far, I think. For those of you that have the same problem that I had about when you turn on the receiver for first time of the day and getting that high pitch noise. Well its gone for me for now. I called Onkyo about the problem and they said that if I reset the receiver it will be gone. They told me to reset it by pressing the video 1 button in before turning on the receiver and to keep it pressed in while then turning on the receiver. WOLLA...its reset and I havent had the problem in more than a week now. Just don't forget to reset some of your settings later on. Let me know in a week or so if it has worked for you guys. Good Luck, Tom

macca
Unregistered guest
Hi,
Went out and bought the S770 and the Onkyo 6-DVD changer. So far everything sounds great but I have a question. I am not using the rear surround speaker (center) but I went into setup and made sure the setting showed it as small.

Next I connect an optical cable between the DVD and the reciever. Then I changed the receiver digital setting to OPT1. Right, that should now give me Dobly Digital and DTS, but it doesnt.

When I hit display when I am playing a Dolby Digital DVD (Incredibles) it shows the surround mode as Dolby ProLogic IIx in PCS (analog) mode.

Am I missing something here? Can anyone help? I appreciate any and all input.
macca

After

Username: Wiggum

Where is the best place to buy this package silver?? Circuit City doesn't sell it... also i have seen some low numbers on here like $269... where can i get a deal like that..

Thanks, BEN

macca
Unregistered guest
Ben,
Frys (outpost.com) sell silver for $399. I got mine (black) from CC last night and made them PM to Frys price.

I thought someone said they paid about $350 from Onkyo direct for a refurbished unit.
Good luck...macca

macca
Unregistered guest
Fixed it. I had the DVD setup wrong as Dolby Digital Out - PCM. Totally rocks now, especially after I switched out the junky front speakers for the MUCH larger Onkyo floor models I kept from an older SV-620 system.
macca

I am also looking into getting a new DVD to fully enjoy the 6.1 as well... should i just buy the package with the DVD player or is it best to get it seperate...

BEN

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Ben, I would recomend buying the dvd player seperate, it is much more costly to buy the package with the dvd player then it is to buy a good dvd player and the system seperately; which in turn you could use to buy stands for the speakers, or Monster cable for the speakers and sub. Hope that helps.

I see...

Well I would like everything to match so does anyone have any feedback on Onkyo DVD players??? I would like something with a single disc prefereably and will some good capabilites... component out or s-video out... optical out (assuming the 770 has an optical input...)

Any help would be appreciated... other places to buy the 770 or any good value DVD player preferably Onkyo...

BEN

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I would recommend getting the Onkyo DV-SP502, the 302 model which I had owned but sold with my 760 in order to get the 770 was a disappointment first of all it would not resume play(if you turned off the dvd player it would start from the beginning), and was quite loud when turned on. The 502 does have a resume feature, and s-video. Onkyo is quite pricey $269.00 or so, for a single disc player if you can live with the price thaen by all means get it but there are better products for less, Like sony dvd players DVP-NS575P, which had a 6 disc resume feature (it will remember up to 6 discs you put it, which is amazing considering it is a single disc player), as well as s-video, for $89.00 at Best Buy. Hopefully this will help a little bit in your decision.

Post Number: 5
So what is the final cable solution???

16 Gauges for the rears... 14 Gauge for the fronts and center...

Nice Cable for the subwoofer...

Thanks for all your help, BEN

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I would say that sounds about right. I used Monster XP speaker cable wire for all my speakers. And MonsterBass 300 for my sub, and have been in nirvana ever since. Hope that helps a little.

mikestro7777
Unregistered guest
does anyone know where the best price online is now?

i would like to get it asap, i cant wait for a sale!! thanks for any help you can provide ;)

Anonymous

Where can you buy them cheapest. Refurbs at J&R are $250 but they have a $110 shipping, which comes close to buying them new with free shipping.

Post Number: 6
I ended up going with an Onkyo 770B...

Circuit City was my final choice...

I could get it refurbed for $362 from J&R....
I could also get it from e-cost for $385 refurbed...
ShopOnkyo.com wants $399 with free shipping refurbed and $499 free shipping new.

After taking all considerations into account the refurbed unit was a mere $75 less than a brand new one...

Circuit City was $424.99 free shipping or instore pick-up.
If you live in a local area where J&R or Fry's is, then you can have circuit city match that local stock...

My final purchases were...

Onkyo 770B
Samsung HD-841 (They had it on sale at Costco for $99 and even though i don't utilize the fake upconversion crap it still looks very good using component cable..)
15 Feet of 14 Gauge Oxygen Free Wiring ($0.48/FT)
100 Feet of 16 Gauge Flat Sleaker Wiring ($7.50/50FT)
MonsterBass 300 Subwoofer Cable
Monster Digital Optical Cable For DVD Audio Output
2 Monster Component Video Cables (DVD-RECEIVER-TV)
And I used Monster RCA's for audio from my TV into the reciever...

Overall my impressions:
I watched After The Sunset last night and I was impressed, but i need to do some tuning...

Will the reciever automatically detect the best possible audio configuration meaning when I put a DVD in it will know to use Dolby Digital or not...

Also i have never really tuned an audio system like this so if someone knows a website with tuning information or has any personal input i would appreciate it...

My cost on the 770B was $450 and i got to go pick it up from Circuit City... not bad really...

BEN

Anonymous

thanks for the help ya'll, i think i'll go to CC this weekend and pick it up..

Bronze Member
Username: Mrtomasulo

Post Number: 35
Question about this system-- all the good reviews I read of it all talk about how much bass it has and how much the bass kicks butt.

Personally, I don't really care about the bass anymore than I do the rest of the sound. Actually I prefer good high end to good bass.

I listened to a floor model at CC a couple days ago and the sound indeed seemed very heavily 'geared' towards bass.

So is this system basically all about bass or what?

Nothing seems to get the good reviews of this system but I'm thinking it's not the one for me.

Post Number: 7
First off when you go to circuit city some dumbass kid at some point probably turned the bass knob on the back of the subwoofer all the way up...

Also in the menu you can adjust bass and treble, as well as the double-bass feature which takes the bass out of the front speakers and puts all the power into the sub..

Either the sub level, bass/treble/ or double-bass feature could have easily been on when you listened to it..

The front speakers have good solid highs, and the backs are just exceptional.

Remember to replace the crappy wiring and use a new subwoofer cable...

BEN

johnmc
Unregistered guest
I ordered 100ft 16AWG and woofer Monster cable for very cheap (sub 50$) at http://www.ebuysnet.com

Bigger gage is required when cable gets longer. Therefore bigger gauge is required on rear speakers more than on fronts. For rear speakers 50ft 16AWG copper wire has resistance of 0.28 Ohm which is 3.5% of the 8 Ohm speakers that come with the 770. For front speakers a 15ft 16AWG cable has resistance of 0.084 Ohm which is 1.1 % of 8 Ohm speaker.

Hope it helps

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I just found out that they came out with a Onkyo 780 to replace the 770. Does anyone have one yet?

johnmc
Unregistered guest
Please ignore my former post (1 above) about a cheap online seller. They low price was in fact an error. The right price for 100ft of navajo monster cable alone is more like 48$ (and not 25$ like the website said).

Username: Tomyo10

I just bought the XM Radio Roady 2 and cannot seem to find where to hook them up? Any Help

ecrane
Unregistered guest
I use the CD outputs for my XM SkyFi. I have my CD/DVD player hooked up to the DVD outputs. Works fine.

Anonymous

I've been following this thread all night. Thanks all for such great input and help. I found a refurbed Onkyo HT-S770B 6.1-Channel Home Theater System at Fry's (via the Outpost website) for an astonishing $204.75.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4058592?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I had to call and email eCost to cancel the order I'd placed with them only hours earlier. Their price was $229 but between shipping, handling, tax and a one year warranty it was closer to $400. I'll save about $120 since I can walk in to the closest Fry's and pick it up myself.

SRBoveia

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
They just came out with the HT-S780 with 7.1 surround sound instead of 6.1. You should be able to find great deals on the HT-S770.

Username: Kevin_a

London, Ontario Canada

I have just bought a 770 and i got all new 14 gauge wires and optical out from dvd player and i was wondering if you have a prefered floor standing speakers that would match this system nicely, i dont like the overall proformance the original speakers put out that originally come with the package.

Any ideas would be great, thank you

gadelta919
Unregistered guest
The Yamaha NS-555s work well - and a bargain for such nice speakers too. They are 6 ohm speakers, but the Onkyo customer service rep said the reciever with this system will handle 6 ohm speakers with no prob - I called and talked to 2 differnt reps just to make sure.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3562
Although the Yamaha NS-555 looks stunning with that piano finish, I did not like the way they performed. I do not think they are well detailed and very much restrained. It is best that you look around and listen to them first if you want to get them.

Try looking at the Paradigms...what is your budget anyway?

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
Problems with Digital inputs:
I consistently had problems with digital inputs. I connected all 3 optical inputs to 2 DVD players and one HDTV set top box. But I can get the audio even my digital audio input was from another source. e.g. If I am using DVD player1 the optical I connected was Optical1 but I still could hear sound even I chose Optical 2, optical 3 and even the Coaxal. It could happen to every inputs. Of course the sound is best if I chose the exact input I was connected. What's wrong? Why?

Username: Deejay16

I too am having the high pitch at start up issue. I've reset the receiver twice and that does not work. Anyone else have this issue and know a solution?
Thanks - DJ

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Anybody knows if we can select different digital input with remote? I have connected all 4 digital inputs (2 DVD players, 1 HDTV tuner and 1 DVD recorder). Eveytime I switch component I have to walk to the receiver to select the right Digital Input. I flipped all the manual and could not find if I can use remote to change digital input.

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
Bad service from Onkyo. Sent two emails but only got the automatically reply aknowledgement and nobody answered questions. I will never buy any more Onkyo products.

Post Number: 4
Call Onkyo 1st61, 201-785-2600, I had gotten fed up with their lack of email response and once I spoke with a live person things got moving. I sent my defective redeiver to their main site in NJ for repair. They could not fix it so I am now getting a replacement sent to me. They were very accomodating and I have been pleased with support throughout the process.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Finally got response from Onkyo. We have to walk to the front panel to change Digital Input and remote won't be able to help on this. Sucks.

Post Number: 5
So they are saying when you change component (i.e. from DVD to HD Tuner) the receiver is not intelligent enough to change to the corresponding digital audio input? That sounds extremely fishy. You'd think the component switching alone would automatically select the propor audio input. What were they thinking??
Be nice if they issued a firmware update to remedy such a basic omission...

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
That's what they said and what I am experiencing. All my 4 components output audio signals to the receiver and video signal to a plasma. I use the plasma remote to select component and then walk to the recever to select the corresponding digital input on the front panel. Would you like that :-(

Before I used the coxoal input I had three opticals. I didn't have to switch digital inputs after I changed component. I could hear sound no matter which digital input was selected. But the sound volume and quality was really bad if the input was not the one corresponding to the component I was really using. So no one would use that. After I add the coxal cable, even this "bonus feature" was gone.

A firmware update? I don't know if that can be done. I really hope they can make it happen to solve this awkward inability.

Mike1
Unregistered guest
All, quick question- I just got my new HT-S780 and I'm loving it so far! Except for one thing- I'm having a difficult time getting the speaker wire to stay hooked into the speaker jacks on the back of the receiver. The manual did not give any hints for ways to make these connections good enough or tight enough so that when you tug on them they don't come out...

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
You probably did not insert the wire properly or did not tighten the screw. Try redo that or buy some banana plugs. I assume the 780 has same connection as 770.

btw, can you select different digital inputs with remote?

Post Number: 6
Hey 1st61, just got my replacement HT-S770 receiver from Onkyo. After I set it up and programmed everything I notice that the Optical Input assignments change when I change the device input. I had to assign the Opt1, Opt2, etc. when I first set the unit up, but now when I switch from DVD to Video 2 the Optical Input changes accordingly. Did you set the proper Optical Input to the proper Input selection? There is a table in the owners manual that lists the default settings, but you can override them to suit your own set up.

jward
Unregistered guest
Hey guys,
I got my 780 a week or so ago, and have been havnig a few problems setting it up. When I first connected everything, it all worked great and sounded great. A day later, when I went to turn on the system, the subwoofer was humming - I hear this is called a ground loop. Anyway, I tried unplugging and replugging things to fix it, to no avail, until it vanished on its own.

Now that the ground loop is gone, the problem now is that the sub doesn't give any output at all.
-When I turn on the receiver, the light on the sub does go from red to green, so it's not stuck in standby
-I also tried doing the test tones - nothing from the sub
-If I unplug the sub cable from the back of the receiver the sub makes sounds if I touch the end of the cable to my finger or metal

Any ideas on how to fix / troubleshoot? Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us