Samsung PT-960

Username: Aaron_r73

Milwaukee, Wi United States

Post Number: 1
I do not know much about audio so when I went into BestBuy to get a system for my new HD TV I was helped by one of the sales clerks. They had hardly any selection since he said they are in the middle of getting newer stock models or something. I explained I have a PS3 that I'd like to use to play my movies and eventually he talked me into purchasing the floor model of a Samsung PT-960 HTIB at a reduced price tag. Even wrote down instruction on how to hook everything up for me (which was amazing because they are suppose to sell the GeekSquad service right?)
So I get home and hook it all up. Optical Audio cable running from the PS3 to the back of the new Samsung and the HDMI from the PS3 going to the TV. It all worked great, I was getting 2.1 through normal TV and 5.1 through DVDs until I put in the new 007 movie. I had no sound at all, I was puzzled as I played other Blu Ray movies and got perfect 5.1 surround. Eventually I discovered it is due to this movie using DTS-HD for the audio and lo & behold this Samsung unit can't decode that through the optical in.
So I go to BestBuy to return the unit and was told I can't do so because it was a floor model. So here I am with this system that is quite useless, as the whole reason I got it was to get the full HD experience. (for DTS-HD movies I need to tell the PS3 to pass the audio into the HDMI to the TV for 2.1 output as the Samsung unit doesn't have a HDMI out) So here I am stuck with this system, so a light bulb clicks and tells me to start looking into getting a real audio receiver (one that has HDMI inputs and can decode DTS-HD) and chucking the HTIB system while still retaining the included speakers. So no I finally get to my questions regarding this.
Is it possible to use these speakers with a audio receiver. Also if it is possible I have no idea what kind of receiver to get with all these power, amp, watt jargon terms being used.
The HTIB system being replaced is total 1250 Watt.
250 Watt - 6 Ohm - THD 10 % - 2 channel(s) ( Front )
250 Watt - 6 Ohm - THD 10 % - 1 channel(s) ( Center )
125 Watt - 3 Ohm - THD 10 % - 2 channel(s) ( Surround )
250 Watt - 6 Ohm - THD 10 % - 1 channel(s) ( Subwoofer )
I have no idea what any of those specs mean. Does all that mean the receiver needs to be same Wattage as the speakers, can I get a lower powered receiver and the speakers still work? Any help to my questions and replacement recommendations would be very much appreciated. Remember I'm already out some big $$$ by getting the HTIB, So I'd like to not go all out and get top of line expensive stuff.
Also the Surround speakers are wireless, so I'm not sure if that'd be a problem or not, the wireless card that the receiver for those speakers easily pulls out the back of the HTIB unit so maybe it can be used in other units as well?

Username: Aaron_r73

Milwaukee, Wi United States

Post Number: 2
It's not Samsung, I don't know why I called it that and kept calling it that (my tv is) the unit is made by Panasonic.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 771
Greetings Aaron,

There is no clear cut reason why the jargon is intentionally made so difficult to understand but it helps to focus more on what your ears tell you than your eyes. All of the numbers can be compared, broken down, and analyzed to death but if it doesn't sound good who cares!!!

For example, you can have all of the power (high wattage) and no distortion (low THD) from the receiver then apply a bad set of speakers to completely ruin the actual sound that you get.

OK with all of that said, first thing is you can take an analog audio out of your PS3 to get sound from all discs to your "Panasonic" (not Samsung) HTiB. I am never quite sure how to put this but with an HTiB you will not be losing all that much audio performance. Folks get mad at me for this sort of statement but the reality is that the higher level audio encoding needs higher level audio equipment to process it correctly. So the bottom line is, if you wish to continue using the Panasonic go analog and enjoy it for as long as you can!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us