Overhyped Onkyo 770 but SKS-HT420 Are Terrific

Bronze Member
Username: Matthew2582

Raymore, MO United States

Post Number: 17
People here for some period of time have been getting kind of carried away by the Onkyo HTIB's - 760/770 and I write this not to offend any owners of these systems but a little dose of objectivity is called for, IMHO.

The receivers in the 760/770 are quite pleasant sounding but the SKS 510/520 speakers are really quite poor. Cabinets are very resonant and unbraced, sound quality is colored in the mid's and high's and bass is ill-defined and lacking in transient detail.

SURE - I accept they are "cheap" but that doesn't mean you can't do better for nearly the same money by picking separate components.

For example - Onkyo has just released their high-end 6.1 speaker system - SKS-240 which are not only drop dead gorgeous (see new CNET review) but are very, very good. Very detailed, dynamic and crisp. And at $ 349 are a total steal. Add for example, a Panny digital receiver for around $ 200 and have you a stunning looking and accurate sounding system for just a few bucks more.

Regards

edster922
Unregistered guest
Good tip. I'd recommend though not an Panasonic receiver but the Onkyo TX-SR502 which a deluxe version of the receiver in the 770 system which also has Dolby IIx, a feature that converts 2-channel stereo sources into 6.1 channels...real handy for audio and old VHS! $250 shipped at J&R right now, so that plus the $350 is just a hundred bucks more than the 770 system.

Oops, correction: $200 more since as of 7/10 this week Circuit City has the 770 for just $400 after rebate. Depends on how picky you are, I guess...I'd pay extra if I was convinced the separate speakers were worth it.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Good tip. I'd recommend though not an Panasonic receiver but the Onkyo TX-SR502 which a deluxe version of the receiver in the 770 system which also has Dolby IIx, a feature that converts 2-channel stereo sources into 6.1 channels...real handy for audio and old VHS! $250 shipped at J&R right now, so that plus the $350 is just a hundred bucks more than the 770 system.

Oops, correction: $200 more since as of 7/10 this week Circuit City has the 770 for just $400 after rebate. Depends on how picky you are, I guess...I'd pay extra if I was convinced the separate speakers were worth it.

edster922
Unregistered guest

edster922
Unregistered guest
Good tip. I'd recommend though not an Panasonic receiver but the Onkyo TX-SR502 which is a deluxe version of the receiver in the 770 system which also has Dolby IIx, a feature that converts 2-channel stereo sources into 6.1 channels...real handy for audio and old VHS! $250 shipped at J&R right now, so that plus the $350 is just a hundred bucks more than the 770 system.

Ryan JJ
Unregistered guest
I like edster922's suggestion, and I was going to pick up the 770 but this idea does sound good. Where can I get these new SKS-HT240 speakers though?

Ryan JJ
Unregistered guest
I can't find the SKS-HT240 speakers anywhere! Does anyone have any clue?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
OK there was a typo in my heading - the speakers are
the new chrome beauties the SKS-HT240 from B&H Video at :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

As a former really serious audiophile distributor (used to be the UK importer for Monster, Dahlquist, Klipsch) I can vouch for the very clean and accurate sound produced by this system - at $ 349 for a SIX.1 system - they are a steal.

Hope this helps

bibby10
Unregistered guest
I've had my eye on the SKS-HT240 as well. Also looking at the Denon AVR 1804 for the receiver. Is this an appropriate speaker/receiver match?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
The Denon 1804 is a terrific sounding receiver and would match the HT-240's very well indeed.

Unregistered guest
I can't find the SKS-HT240 anywhere.

Can someone email me where I can find them.

pcmail@sbcglobal.net

thanks.

Username: Sleepingbag

Clarks Summit, Pa

Post Number: 3
The TX-SR502 is only 75W/Ch.... You might want to get a SR601 or a SR701.... Although for that price you might as well get a yamaha's YHT 940 or 941. Somewhere around $800 i think.

bibby10
Unregistered guest
I have a newbie question: Are there any general guidelines to matching receivers and speakers?

I don't really know how to interpret the specs. From what I understand, the greatest risk of damaging speakers is from a significantly underpowered receiver. So for example, the Denon AVR1803 is 90 W per channel, and the max power on the HT240 is 100 W I think. So this receiver/speaker match should be fine under normal listening conditions, right? Any other considerations when matching receivers and speakers?

Matt T, thanks for the tips. Out of curiosity what receiver did you select for your Onkyo SKS-240s? I saw an earlier post of yours saying you were putting together a new budget system. Is this one it?

hmm, I guess the problem for me and others now is finding these speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
bibby10 - first on "matching receivers and speakers" - don't get too concerned about trying to "match" specifications. There are no specifications about receivers or speakers which will tell you what they sound like. Moreover - there isn't really any specification about either which is particularly important.

For example - distortion performance for an amplifier is really quite meaningless. Valve or tube amps produce very distortion figures compared to MOSFET or Digital amps but usually sound vastly superior.

Power output too is really almost meaningless. Sure, a 10 watt amp is not going to cut driving a 5.1/6.1 system but anything over 50 watts per channel into 5/6 is going to be adequate.

Speaker specs are totally uninformative other than impedance - to take an extreme example. If a speaker had a really low or high impedance then this would be worth bearing in mind.But as almost all speakers are notionally 8 ohm impedance then this too is irrelevant.

I haven't chosen a receiver yet - but have shortlisted the Denon 1804, Onkyo 502 - coz they just sound nice - both manufacturers build amps which have above average tonal quality - and the Panansonic XR-50 which sounds niceand looks sweet with its ultra slimline design.

Hope this helps you and others

Mr. Sky
Unregistered guest
the sks 240's are $500 just by themsleves w/o the receiver. They do look spaceage and stuff (which I dont particularly like: I'm old-school) but the woofer is less powerful (by 70 watts).

I heard the 770 at Circuit City yesterday and wow. Booom, boom, boom. Maybe I am not as sophisticado but 1000Watts of system power is sure gonna crowd out the street noise I constantly hear.

freakoid
Unregistered guest
I agree with Mr.Sky that the 240's look spaceage (though I probably would have used the word 'hokey', but that is just my opinion). Haven't been able to hear them, as our CC isn't carrying them yet. Anybody have any thoughts as to how these compare to the Fluance sx-htb systems?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Mr Sky - you got it in one - the 770 bass performance goes 'boom, boom, boom'. Unfortunately, that has nothing to do with reproducing low frequency with accuracy and faithful reproduction of bass transients. The 770 system does not reproduce lows, mids or highs with accuracy or articulacy. The sound is simply colored.

You can like it that way - that's clear. But any comparison of the 240's (which are $349 from B&H Photo Video - instantly shows the 240's to have better imaging, outstanding clarity and good rendition of bass dynamics.

Your comments about the 240's subwoofer being '70 watts less powerful' is inaccurate and reveals a lack of understanding of specifications. You might want to say that the Power Handling of the 240's is lower than that of the 770. First - you would need to appreciate that the 240's have a higher sensitivity - and secondly - so what - who cares. You aren't going to listen to either system at its maximum capacity and frankly - I really wouldn't enjoy listening to a colored, one-note bottom end for any length of time - at any volume level.

Sure - the 770 is "cheaper" but not drastically so. And in comparison - cheaper here - is definitely not better.

Best wishes

Matthew

i luv Matt Therrien
Unregistered guest
Matthew, I don't know what your beef is with the 770 but your opinion on this system is not of the norm. For everyone looking for a $400-500 all in one, this is an excellent system and bargain for the price. Obviously there are better systems out there but this is not designed and marketed for the audiophiles out there. First off, you say you used to do reviews for some European magazines?? If so, what the hell are you buying a HTiB for?? You would think, someone that has such a keen sense of hearing such as yourself, would prefer a more higher quality setup. Why don't you go comment on some $10,000 speakers in the Speaker forum and quit crappin on the 770 in every thread.

Loving life
Unregistered guest
Loving my 770. Had it for 3 weeks. Great for movies and music. You won't believe your ears. Highly recommend it for everyone (except Matthew Therrien). Sounds like a $1,500 system.

Username: Mp906

Post Number: 9
I listened to the "higher end" Onkyo speakers. They don't sound as good.

1. They have cheesy plastic boxes, without removable grills. Plastic speaker boxes...yuck!

2. They have smaller drivers than the 770 speakers.

3. The DVD/reciever in one idea is generally thought of as not as good as seperate components. The 770 reciever is outstanding.

bibby10
Unregistered guest
After a month of waiting, I finally got the Onkyo 240's and the Denon AVR 1804. I'm no audiophile, but the speakers sound great to me. It was exactly what I was looking for and was well worth the wait.

I'm sure the 770s are great, but if you can spend another couple hundred dollars, the Onkyo 240 + receiver of your choice is an excellent option to consider as you weigh your choices.

Matt T, thanks for your comments. Your opinions are appreciated.

btw, the onkyo 240 speaker boxes are made of nice aluminum, not cheesy plastic. It is true that the grills are not removable.

Username: Gozno42

Post Number: 1
I too just purchased the Onkyo HT240's... But I'm having problems mounting these speakers... Can someone recommend speaker stands and wall mounts to go with this set?

I've already tried vantage point stands, but the L bracket is not long enough to accommadate the front or surround speakers...

jbaudio
Unregistered guest
What is your impression of HT240 after say a month of usage .. I am considering buying it and would appreciate your feedback .. Also which receiver do you think it will be best paired with .. Onkyo 502, Pioneer VSX-D814S or Panasonic XR50 .. Also your opinion on Panasonic XR50 in general ..
Thanks a lot .

skc242
Unregistered guest
i just got my Onkyo HT240 as well and if you have IKEA in your area, you can get their speaker stand at 19.99 for 2. and the stand matches perfectly for our 240s. There are 2 stands to choose from, here's the link

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12&lang Id=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=15797

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12&lang Id=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=32212

Username: Gozno42

Post Number: 4
I ended up going with Onkyo brand stands (AS-240) specially designed for the HT240's. They're a bit pricey ($149 for a pair), but they're well worth it. They complement the speakers very nicely. You can purchase them directly from onkyo's sales website at www.shoponkyo.com.

For wall mounting purposes, I emailed onkyo's help support and they recommended the universal mounting brackets from Peerless Industries (PE0365). You can purchase these individually for $20 at www.racksandstands.com.

My impressions so far are quite good, but then again I don't have much to compare against. I paired up these speakers with a Harman Kardon AVR330. And I couldn't be happier.

Unregistered guest
I know this is an old posting but I thought I'd leave my comments for whoever is willing to read. I listened to the HT240's at Circuit City and they sounded tinny. Very good at high range but the mid seemed to be missing. Sure you could use the subwoofer for the low range but then you get high and low. BOOOM BOOM BOOM TSSS TSS TSS BOOM TSSS That's about it. It seemed the mid was missing. Granted I was just listening to them with the Onkyo and DVD in one receiver (LS-V955) and I didn't know how to tweak it too much to get the optimal settings but it sounded very bright to me. Too bright for my taste. If I used a different receiver it may make a difference but I'm not sure.

I just bought the 770 system and when I listened to it in Circuit City it felt like something was missing on the speakers for some of the music I sampled. When I got it home I swapped the speaker cable (22 AWG) it came with to 16 gauge speaker cable from Target. I then went back and listened to the same music and it was MUCH fuller. I was hearing pieces of the music that wasn't there when using the 22 gauge cable. It was outstanding. In my opinion. The Onkyo 770 is great for movies and music with the speakers that it ships with. If you want to listen to music with high quality speakers and a super full sound, buy some floor stand speakers to go with your surround system for $100-200 each. Don't get me wrong, the 770 has a great range but you'll never beat a good set of floor stand speakers with small sattelite speakers.

If you get a mediocre to decent set of speakers (HT240s) for $349 and then a receiver for $200 at a total cost of $550 and later realize that the sattelite speakers aren't that full. You'll end up spending the $100-200 per speaker later with a total cost of $950 for the complete system. Instead buy a good quality system (770) all in one for $400-450 and then if they don't do what you want (hit lows, mids and highs like you want), buy the floor stand speakers for a total cost of $850 (assuming you spend $200 per speaker). Saving you $100 either way.

I'd also like to mention that if you do buy floor stand speakers you should keep your full set of surround speakers and put your floor stand speakers on the B channel for listening to music only. Mixing speakers for a surround sound system isn't a good idea because you want speakers that compliment each other. Something that is going to have optimal crossovers for each channel is going to sound MUCH better than pieced together equipment. Granted everything might sound GREAT coming out of each speaker but if the crossovers aren't quite right it'll sound funny and not quite right. They sell the package systems to do this for you, matching the crossovers. But anyway....

I posted some information about speaker cable and my first opinion of the 770 in this thread -> https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/38051.html at the bottom. Read there if you'd like to hear more about the 770.

I'm happy with the product and feel it has a pretty full range. I've lived with 2 channel systems that are over $5000 in cost and I can recognize a full range when I hear it and my opinion is that the Onkyo 770 speakers produce a fuller range than the HT240s. If you like the look of the HT240s then go for it but I seriously don't like the bright sound of them. Too much treble for me.

Username: Diggadevil

Yes I know it's an old post but I felt that I needed to add my 2 cents. The 240 system sounds great. I don't feel that they are tinny as Azeiku claimed. The satellites are full and the subwoofer does wonders and has plenty of punch. The downfiring makes it that much more enjoyable. I have them matched up with an Onkyo 602 receiver and instantly enjoyed the two together. Watched Twister in DTS and was amazed at the quality. I was able to feel the twister coming before it appeared on the screen and that to me clinched it. I don't even have the woofer at full, only about 1/3 level because otherwise it was too much. I don't know what the reason for the complaints about these were but range of the 240's is amazing for the price range.

Username: Steelydan

I think we could resolve this matter to say that both the 770 system and the 240 speaker packages are great products and are a great deal.

You can not compare the systems in the store because usually they are hooked up with crappy speaker wire etc...

Speaking of a great deal.. I just picked up a the 240's 7 speaker package and the 502 receiver and a special bundle price of $564. You can not beat this anywhere. Free shipping included.

Harter
Unregistered guest
Scott Johnston,

Can you please tell us where you bought them?

Thanks

Username: Steelydan

vanns.com

They still have this deal at the time of this post. To see it you must find the reciever first and then you will see a bundle option that included the 240's

Hope this helps.

Treeboy
Unregistered guest
Any thoughts on the TX-LR552?
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-LR552&class=Receiver&p=i

I thought I had finally decided on the 502 and the 240s, but then somewhere this one popped up. Has it been recently released or have I just totally missed it?

From what I can tell, the 552 doesn't have WRAT, loses an input, and only puts out 65w (at 6 ohms nonetheless), but adds component video upconversion in a smaller package with some extra bells and whistles (onscreen menus, etc.).

As an A/V receiver, looks to be more V than A. But how does it sound and stack up to 502? Also, I cannot tell from Onkyo's website specs that it has A/B Speaker switching.

Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Unregistered guest
I have coupled TX-SR 602 with SKS 240, the sound qualiy is terrific. I also own HTS 760. 760/770, the sound is warmer and smooth. But SKS 240, I could say it is crystal clear and bass also very warm and clear. 760 withstands more volume where as sks240 gets distorted if you increase too much volume. I would say, 602 coupled with 240 matches systems priced $1500

Username: Patrick3993

Has anybody had any experience matching Onkyo SKS-HT240 speaker set with the Sony STR-DE897 receiver ? Any opinions on this combination ?
Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Excalibur

Post Number: 11
I bought the HT-S770 in silver during Fry's after Thanksgiving sale for $300. I also bought 4 Polk R30's for $39 a piece which were also on sale and a great deal. I knew that I wanted better speakers that the ones that came with the 770 and the R30's were such a great deal that I could not pass them up and they sound great. I still use the 770 center speaker and the rear center surround. I would recommend changing the speakers for better ones and the speaker wires. Otherwise the system is great. I do wish that the remote was entirely backlit and that the connected components (vcr, dvd, ect.), worked when the system was off. You have to cut the 770 on for the vcr to show on your tv.

Bronze Member
Username: Excalibur

Post Number: 12
I meant to say that I bought 4 Polk R50's for $69.99 a piece instead of R30's.

Username: V2vaughn

ATLANTA, GEORGIA USA

V2 Here . Hello everybody. I guess my question is to Matthew.But first. I know you are not bashing the HT770.You have only noted its weakness and its stong points , as you see them , or hear them.
So here is the deal . 1. new at this. I really want the receiver txsr520. and then buy the ht-240s, which are $299 at B&Hphotovideo, or a set of Fluance ht speakers.. I thought I found the deal of the century, at J&R a refurbed 770sys, for $249.00, but gotta pay the freight to Atlanta Ga,$110.00.And no they will not let you use a carrier of your choice. As you can see I am on the brink of putting together a good HT component system for under $600.00, untill the shippping charges add up . Actually the Fluance and J&R = $519. I believe Matthew you said it could be done fo $550.Oh by the way would you believe I talked to two techs at Onkyo, and they both recomended the HT520 speakers over the HT240's. One of them was a super nice guy , looked up the Fluance on the net and was taken on the spot buy them .Said he was thinking about buying some for himself. The only think I can offer to the forum is that I do spend a good a lot of time looking for THE DEAL ! TX / V2

ATLANTA, GEORGIA USA

Post Number: 2
What do you guys think of : Denon 1804 $300 and polk rm6750 $300 as a system
. I also found a deal on Yamaha 450/Rm6750 for $548, clearance at Hi -Fi Buys / Tweeter.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
To Victor - the SX-HTB's are knock out sonically and in terms of construction - and, no they don't need (as in have-to-have) a sub-woofer. They produce very clean tight and accurate bass.

And to those people who say - 'I heard the 240's in CC and they sounded like crap' - c'mon people ! CC don't know and don't care about optimizing sound quality. And I don't recommend crap.

Matthew

ATLANTA, GEORGIA USA

Thanks Matthew did you get a chance to look at my last post . I can get a demo Denon 1804 for $300 at Hi-Fi buys. Would you suggest Fluance speakers or the HT 240. I have a 14w x 22L x 12H room. Also onsidering the Polk rm6750, but afraid the do not have the kick for movies in my living room. I am locked in around $600, and do not want to miss out on the Denon 1804 .

Andy Andrews
Unregistered guest
For those who find the ht240's to provide a "tinny" sound at the store. I found that changing the level and setting (A, B) of the subwoofer makes a HUGE difference. If the sub is set too high, all that comes through is the sub and the tweeter - you would get the BOOM, TSSS. When properly balanced, the system greatly improves.

ATLANTA, GEORGIA USA

Post Number: 4
Help
I have a delima. I have a chance to buy Yamaha 450 /Polk rm6750 $548. or Denon 1804 demo $300, and either Fluance sv htb5 or the Onkyo ht240.
My room is 14wx22Lx12h. I know I need a lot more to handle this room , but $600-700 is the budget
Thing is I need to buy the Denon (only one aval.) ASAP or the Yamaha ASAP!! Help

Username: Johne1000

I don't know about other people opinion, however After extensive search and reading people opinions-specially in this forum, I bought the SKS-HT240. I posted this review in another forum, and I am adding it here for people to read.
I tested the speakers using the Onkyo TX-SR502 receiver, and the Onkyo DV-CP702 universal player. Also, I tested 4-years old Onkyo wooden speakers (My old set). The room is about 300 sqft, hardwood floors, and 14 ft vaulted ceiling.
My older speakers set outperformed the SKS-HT240 by miles. My old set was not expensive either; it came in an Onkyo HTB.
I bought the new set to replace my old Onkyo set. Boy, I made a big mistake. I spent about $800 on the new set, and I was very very disappointed. My older speakers were much stronger. For example, I set the volume on my receiver on about 40 and it was so loud that I could not increase it anymore, however when I hooked it up with the SKS-HT240 it was so week. And No, it wasn't the wires. I used 12/2 Gouge wires, with gold plated banana plugs. The sound quality was immediately noticeable. My older speaker sound much deeper and clearer.
For people who want to buy speakers, or put together and HT system, I suggest to stay away from this set, unless the look is more important to you.
Here is my opinion about my new set:
The TX-SR502 is an excellent receiver. Many features, good sound quality, the best that you can get for the money.
The DV-CP702 has very good picture quality; however I had only for 2 weeks, so I can't comment on other aspects yet.
The SKS-HT240 is a very good looking set, however it has poor sound quality. It underperformed my older Onkyo speakers. I won't recommend for good sound quality.

FredC
Unregistered guest
Have you considered the Yamaha YHT-450? It may have the sound, speakers and receiver you wish? How does anyone else feel about that?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us