Can I get Component video on my TV via S-Video connection?

Bronze Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 19
This is awkward but my DVD player has only S-Video and composite video outputs and my TV has all three types of input. So I am wondering of this connection:

DVD player -> S-Video cable -> Receiver -> Component cable -> TV

Theoretically, how the video signal is transmitted at each Stage? After the video has been separated via the S-Video out of DVD player, can it be successfully separated to component video signal by the receiver?

Here is what S-Video and component video do:

S-Video separates the luminance and color signals and provides better picture quality than composite video.

Component video separates the luminance (Y) and color difference signals (PR, PB), providing the best picture quality. (Some TV manufacturers label their component video sockets slightly differently.)

HTIB Help
Unregistered guest
Why not just hook up the DVD player straight to the TV using the component video cable?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1675
only if your receiver is capable of upsampling.

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 56
"Why not just hook up the DVD player straight to the TV using the component video cable?"

Errr... Reading the message 1st61 states -

"This is awkward but my DVD player has only S-Video and composite video outputs and my TV has all three types of input."

No component out on DVD.

FWIW I don't know that even if your receiver did upsample svideo to component that you would get a better picture quality vs. going directly svideo into the set (and maybe worse).

There are quite a few progressive scan DVD players for great prices available...

Username: Neofrost2411

Post Number: 1
hey i hope someone can help me out with this one.
my s video works fine, it shows everything i do on my laptop to the tv, but since few days as soon as i go into the windows media player or real player to watch a movie, it shows the movie on my laptop screen instead of the tv. Everything else except the movie is shown on the tv.
This has been happening since only a few days, it was working fine till date. only when i watch the movie, instead on showing it on the screen it shows on my laptop. pls reply ASAP.

Anonymous

Hi ,
I have problem yesterday a have connected my laptop with TV via S-Cideo kable
(s-video on lapytop rca on TV) but the picure on TV was not Color???

pleasse help where is problemm?
Thanks

Anonymous

Hi ,
I have problem yesterday a have connected my laptop with TV via S-Cideo kable
(s-video on lapytop rca on TV) but the picure on TV was not Color???

pleasse help where is problemm?
Thanks

Anonymous

Neo,

The following will solve your problem -
Just select the laptop display-mode in which there is nothing shown on the Laptop monitor.

You will be all set. I finally figured it out.

Raj

Anonymous

Suggestions?

-want to play DVD video from laptop hard drive
-desire component (desired) or will live with
s-video out
-desire 5.1 surroung sound, need digital audio
out from laptop

Is there a high-end lpatop that provides these output?

Is there a low-cost soltion for an existing low-end laptop?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 196
Berny is right. HTIB, I understood the poster to say that his DVD player only had S-video and composite outputs. So your suggestion would not work. Without upsampling and using the receiver (without direct video connection to the tv) he'll need to go S-video into receiver and S-video out of receiver to tv. Although, I would probably go DVD S-video out to TV and DVD audio out to receiver. Usually, most direct path results in best picture.

Unregistered guest
I have a RCA Home Theater that was working just fine. I had to dismantle it for some renovations and now I cannot remember how I connected everything and my FRONT speakers are not working.
The RCA receiver has a built-in DVD player. My other components are: Satellite dish, VCR, Toshiba TV. I have checked all speaker wires and they are correct; tried other speakers and the problem persists. I also have an S-videeo cable from the receiver to the TV. Appreciate any advice you can give me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us