Dolby ac-3

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 28
I just purchased a laserdisc player that has the ac-3 output jack on it, but my receiver doesn't. I was wondering if I could hook up the ac-3 to the digital coax jack on my receiver if it would work. My laserdisc player is a pioneer cld 505, and my receiver is a pioneer vsx 1014.

Aaron S Miller
Unregistered guest
AC-3 = Dolby Digital...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
tried it out, didn't work, is there a difference in the way the two are decoded?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 274
If you have properly connected the two and followed through with any set up requirements, it should work. Make certain that the laserdisc in question supports dolby digital. Many, perhaps even most, do not.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
so then i have to have the stereo outputs and the digital coax hooked up to make sure I get sound? I tried seeing if the ac-3 to digital worked with "armageddon", which was dolby digital.

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
In answer to your connection question, probably. But it depends on your receiver. Some will default to Pro Logic when a dolby digital signal is not present. Did you get sound from Armageddon?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Only when i hooked up to the composite inputs. Nothing came out when I had it hooked to the ac-3 terminal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
Josh, I'm sorry but I am baffled. Check the manuals on both components and make certain everything is properly connected and set up. Receiver may have some form of switch. Sorry I can't do more. But without access to the manuals or equipment, I'm shooting in the dark.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
np, thanks for the help anyway
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us