Not understanding DTS/Digital with new receiver

Username: Eddiwill

Post Number: 6
I posted this earlier, but in probably not the best section. Sorry!

I hope I can ask this question clearly, as I am having difficulty putting it into words. Please bear with me!

I used to have a very low-end HTIB. Over time I replaced all the speakers w/ many of the speakers I read about here (thanks! btw). This week-end, I upgraded (for me, anyway) to a stand alone receiver, a Pioneer VSX-D514. I THINK I hooked it up correctly, BUT, I have what may be an idiotic question:

On my old HTIB, if I inserted a DVD in 5.1 DTS and selected the DTS option in the DVD menu, it showed up as such on the display and the unit didn't "allow" me to make any changes (a la prologic or "movie" settings or anything like that). I assumed that all those other settings, which were only "available" on non-DTS sources, were for "less" than DTS sources, in a digital voodoo effort to make them sound better.

Well, my new unit is not like that. I insert the DTS disc into my DVD player, select DTS from the menu and my receiver shows that my DVD source is "Digital," which seems right, as my DVD is connected via coax, but the DTS light is not illuminated on the reciever and I can select all of the prologic options that I thought I "shouldn't" be able to, like movie, music, etc.

Have I done something wrong? Or is this just a result of sheer ignorance on my part (or both!!!)

Thanks to all for any help!

Bronze Member
Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 35
that's wierd, the only thing I can think to tell you is to double check and make sure that DTS is enabled on your DVD player (perhaps you unplugged the player when hooking up your new reciever and lost your settings) and check to see if there is a DTS option on the reciever, but I doubt that would be the problem. good luck!

Username: Eddiwill

Post Number: 7
You know, I think you're right. I just kind of grabbed our DVD player that we never used and attached it to the new receiver.

I never went into any menus for the DVD player itself. Will check on that first thing after work. Am I correct that I have to select the digital output on the DVD menu for it to work properly (even though my reciever does show a digital connection as opposed to analog)? I'm thinking it lights up like that when it senses the cable, regardless of the DVD setting?

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 36
Yeah, I know that on all of the players that I've had, you had to manually go into the setup menus and turn on not only the optical/coaxial digital output, but also enable DTS output, I guess to prevent the player from sending a DTS signal to non DTS compatible recievers. I assume that you are using a coax or optical digital connection in which case it would still send a standard stereo signal to the reciever digitally, hence the digital light being on. I had the same exact problem when I got my first theater system. Hope that solved your problem!
drew
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us