Waht receiver w/ Onkyo SKS-HT240

Username: Turkish621

Post Number: 10
Ok So I think that I have settled on the Onkyo SKS-HT240 speakers. Now, what would be a good Receiver to go with it? The TX-SR502 looks really good, but I like the looks of the TX-LR552. Which one is better for movies? Also, I have seen some receivers that can use a mic. to program the speakers. This is something that I would find very helpful as I am not very knowledgable in this area. All help is welcomed.

Username: Patrick3993

Post Number: 2
I have a similar question. I have posted this question in other threads as well. Does anybody have experience / opinion about the Sony STR-DE897 receiver matched up with Onkyo SKS-HT240 speaker set ? Any opinion on the DE897 receiver ?
Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Steelydan

Post Number: 27
I bought the ht240 speakers with the tx-sr502 and it kicks much butt.

The LR552 looks cool, i agree, but look at the back panel.. spring clip speaker connections and no option for banana plugs (if you care about that stuff).

that said, if the 552 was a litter closer price wise to the 502, i would have bought it instead. I think the 2 are pretty comparable but 552's compact size and the blue light make the price jump up.

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 89
I would shy away from any sony str-de receiver, they are underpowered to the extreme and do not handle large speakers. They have little bass and are shrill on the high end.

Since you are going onkyo with the speakers, why not onkyo with the receiver?

The 502 was considered a best buy at audioholics.com. The Pioneer 814 is also a good solid unit that sounds good. I think you would be happy with either.

The 552 has to be carefully matched with speakers that are not too bright as the digital amps seem to accentuate the high end to me. The receiver is ideal for those with limited space or poorly ventihilated space as the digital amps give off very little heat.

Post Number: 5
Thanks, Shan Tao.

I had thought about the Onkyo 502 receiver, but according to the specs it was rated lower (75W/ch) in power output vs the sony (100w/ch).
Is the power output spec important or is it irrelevant ?

I have another question. Somebody told me that Onkyo receviers use what is called "high current technology" in their recivers. So even though their receivers are rated for lower power output, they sound better than the others that don't have the "high current design". Any truth to that ?

Thank you so much for your advice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Take a close look at those sony specs. Notice that they are not rating the receiver for 100 watts per channel with all channels driven, but in stereo. It probably is also rated at 1khz, not at 20-20,000 hz which is a better indication of how the receiver will perform, as it takes substantially more power to drive a speaker load under 1khz than at 1khz or above.

The power supply in the sony is tiny in comparison to the onkyo, as are the capacitors. That translates to little to no reserve power. That 100 watts per channel means little. When all channels are driven in home theater I think you would be lucky to get 20 undistorted watts per channel, and the bass will be thin.

Yes Onkyo advertises "high current technology", which tends to mean that it can supply that power when all channels are demanding it. That 75 watt onkyo will play louder than that "100" watt sony cleanly and without distortion. But what that high current stuff trasnslates into is not more watts per se, but the ability to accurately produce the music as it is supposed to be, with rich bass, clean mids, natural sounding treble because it has the power to do so.

Not all companies rate their receivers in a forthright and "honest" manner that is consistent from company to company. For an example, Harmon Kardon receivers, which are excellent, have some of the most conservative ratings of their receivers.... yet their 50 watt per channel receivers will easily outpower brand name receivers boasting 100 watts per channel.

But don't take my word for it, go and listen to them!

Post Number: 7
Thank you so much for the advice, Shan.
I'll definitely stay away from the Sony.

Not sure between the Onkyo or the Pioneer receiver, but will pick one of the two.

BTW, nobody seems to have the Onkyo SKS-HT204 speakers in stock anymore. So, I'm considering the JBL SCS300.7. Do you have any opinions on those ? Or, any other wall-haning home theater speaker set in this price range ($400 or less) you would recommend ?

Thanks, again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
There is probably a reason they are out of stock.. I would wait a few days and check back.

I know they have packaged the 502 reciever with the sks-240s at vanns. I think they are packaging the 602 receiver right now with the JBL's you are talking about. I have not listened to them however.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
I have heard the JBL's and The JBL's are nice, but in that price range I am rather partial to Athena's Micra 6. I have seen them under 300 at bestbuy for the sub/sat.

My friend has an Onkyo 601 and an athena micra 6 and it sounds great for HT and xbox.

Hope that helps.

Post Number: 8
Hi, Shan, and everybody else.
Thanks for all the advice.
I have decided to go with JBL SCS300.7 with a Pioneer 1014 receiver.
I have one question - the Pioneer receiver is rated for 110W/ch in surround mode. The speakers are rated at 100W max for all the sats.

Is this combination ok ? Or do I need to make sure the receiver I hook up to these speakers is rated for 100W/ch or less ?

Thanks so much for the advice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
you will never get near the 110w/ch out of your reciever so I would not even worry about it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Hi Patrick;

the 1014 is a nice box, you should be very happy with that one.

I wouldn't worry about the pioneer's wattage rating, it will be fine. What kills speakers is generally not too much power, but people overdriving weak amps to distortion and that more than anything is damaging to speakers. The pioneer can pump out lots of power that is distortion free.

I think you will be happy with your set up!

Enjoy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
they have the onkyo hts 240 with 502 reciever combo now for $564 at vanns right now in stock

Jog
Unregistered guest
I have selected Onkyo HT240 speakers. I also saw the same with Onkyo 502 for $564 at Vanns, but I am still attracted to the 552 receiver, just for the looks, Not a great music listener, 90% movies, 10% music. Room size not greater than 400 sft. Please advise..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us