ONKYO HTS760 $449 in Circuitcity

jj51
I have tracking the price for weeks now, i think $449 is the cheapest on the market, right?

jj51
Just ordered 10 min ago, can't wait to pick it up...

BTW what speaker stand you guys recommend?
I know i have to change the speaker wire, what do i need to buy (I don't know much about it), only the speaker wire or also some kind of connectores?

thanks.

Anonymous
I have been looking at the onkyo 760 and 767dvc. I have found out that these systems do not have powered subwoofers. Is this a red flag to buying one of these HTIB? Do you really need a powered subwoofer?

Jack
That is NOT true. The 767C and 760 do have a powered subwoofer. Go to ONKYO's website, under theater packages and click on features and it says right there: BASS REFLEX POWERED. This system looks to be great. It is great quality audio/video equipment, for a reasonable price. I've read nothing but good reviews for this package. Although I haven't purchased it, I'm saving up some money to do so.

jj51
Yes, just pick up the 760 today, it's great. the 760 does have a powerd Subwoofer, it's HUGE!! the whole system is in a huge box, and very very heavy!

Just a question, how come the back center speaker don't have sound while i play CD.

cosmic
Score. I checked with my local CC and it is available and priced at $449.

I will be picking one up today. I know it has a shipping weight of 110lbs.

I wonder how big the box is. I guess I am going to have to bring a truck to transport it. I doubt it will fit in the car.

Haykin
It's a big and heavy box 44x24x20. You do need a truck.

Anonymous
Looks like no ones posted on here in a couple weeks.....just wondering where you guys live that CC has it for $449, it's $549 at my local CC. I have the HTS650 and really like it and I was gonna buy another for my livingroom, but then I heard the 670 came out, so I might as well buy that since it's about the same price. Although does the 6.1 systems really have any use yet? I havent seen any dvds with digital or dts 6.1 written on them.

Anonymous
bought my system in Houston... and got it with a year with interest free financing @ $449... on the 760 system...

Jamie
It must of been on sale when did you buy it? Cause I don't see why one CC would have it for $449, while another for $549.....even their website says $549.

Anonymous
The CC website currently says $499. Any way to talk this back down to $450?

Who can I tell them is selling it for $50 in the SF, CA area?

Jamie
Yeah now it's down to $499...Maybe you can just say my friend bought it here for $449 the other week and you want that price. I think they'd stop you from walking out. I know they don't match internet retailers, but if they already had it for $449, then I don't see why they can't work something out. I know they will never sell it less then $449 at CC.

Jack
$449 was a sale promo-like price that is no longer being honored. Your best bet is to try haggling or buy online. It may go on sale again - ask if there is a sale coming up. Otherwise, you are going to pay $500-$550 at CC. I bought the 760 on the last night of the sale two weeks ago - whew! It's an awesome system. No, DVD's aren't advertising 6.1, but the 6.1 is for the dolby digital EX - just making the 6th center rear speaker a bridge between the left and right rear speakers. It's a nice feature, and I wouldn't be surprised if in time, there will be more and more 6.1 DVD's. It's always ends up that way.

Jamie
Onecall.com has it for $499.99 with no tax and free shipping, so $449.99 at cc with tax is like about $490....only 10 bux more. I would personally rather pick it up myself down the block at CC instead of getting it shipped though..plus circuit city has like the best return policy. I remember they did the same thing with the hts650 i bought it for $449 one week and i never saw it at that price again. I wasnt even looking for it either then (last june) I just saw it and said wow a whole onkyo set up for $449? so i picked it up.

Steven E
CC uped their price to $599 from $499 over the last couple weeks.

I got a bay area quote from Fry's at $499- and CC is going to honor. Looks like the price may get jacked up since this system is so hot.

Thanks for everyone's info on the system. I'm out the door in order to get there before 9pm PT.

Joe Shmoe
It's $434.13 at soundcity.com with $39 shipping.

Anonymous
CC is running a sale at $499. Stock seems to be limited at stores here in N.VA. Ordered off the net, picking up at noon. Can hardly wait. Would appreciate more info on the wire. Thanks.

Steven E
I set up my system with the included wire and it sounds great. I haven't really cranked it up though. I will replace the wiring with 12 or 14 guage when I mount the speakers and rewire.

Anonymous
Joe Shmoe, Sound City is selling onkyo ht-s760 for $499 and $39 shipping. I did not see the price $434, which u mentioned.

thanks

Jack
Sound City seems to change their prices at night - when no one is available to answer their phones. I guess it is like, "the store is closed for the night, but you can still order online for a slightly cheaper price."

I prefer talking to someone when making a purchase for this amount of money.

Andorion
You can still get it for $439 + tax - here's how:

CircuitCity.com lists the system for $599, and from 8/3/03 to 8/9/03, you get a $50 gift card for purchasing it.

You can order the system through cc.com, photocopy your receipt, take the system into a local CC store and get a 110% pricematch from Fry's or nearly any other electronics store that's selling it at $499. Then, send the copy of your original (circuitcity.com) receipt along with the UPC and get your $50 gift card.

I tried going into a local Circuit City and getting the pricematch and the $50 card to save myself the shipping time (at least it's free) but they gave me the runaround, so I just placed my order through the website and will update as to what happens.

Of course, CircuitCity.com also has the MSN wallet checkout option, but that deal's long past.

This is my first post - hope some of you find this useful =) The HT-S760 looks like a really amazing system, and not just "for the price."

~Berj

Robert
my question is that since circuit city has free shipping and sum 1 said that the system has a shipping weight of 110lbs.(talking about the onkyo HTS760) are they gonna like charge me more cuz itz soo heavy or if i order it itz really gonna ship for free? . .

Can I use the direct ship / store pick up and still receive the rebate?

Fernando
I'm buying the 760 this weekend. What kind of DVD player works well with this system?

I bought it from JandR.com for $449.99 (they knocked $50 off 'cos it was out of stock when I ordered it). Don't know much about DVDs players (they'll all work with the HTS), but I just bought the Pioneer DV-563A, and couldn't be happier!

Note: JandR shipped it to me by DHL to Santa Fe. It arrived in Albuquerque on September 2nd. Yesterday (Sept 9th), I found out where it was, and asked why it was taking so long. They told me that it was a female who delivered to Santa Fe, and that they don't allow their female employees to lift heavy weights.

Great hiring DHL. One expectation of any courier is to *lift* things now and again. They got it up to me about 2 hours after I phoned to enquire what was happening.

Scourge
As of today, the systems is going for $460 at Brandnamez.com, and $434.14 at Mail Order Bargains, but neither has any customer reviews yet, so I'm keeping my eye on it.

I'm going to try to hold out until Circuit City offers a rebate or something, but I don't know how long I'll make it.

Just wanted to say that this site rocks. I found by accident, read notes and I am now enjoying my 760. I got it on the last day that the rebate was offered, used crutchfield for price match and got the $439 deal.

Thanks to all

RecentOnkyo Owner
I recently bought S760 from Frys and the sound is really good, but my wife does not like speaker size(s). Any suggestions? We liked Bose speker size (small, compact. Did anybody try S760 + bose (or other small speakers).

Also what speaker gauge wire do you recommend (the supplied speaker wires are too short)? Does name brand speaker wire vs. generic matters?

Unregistered guest
Hi

I just purchased the hts760 and love the quality so far but have a question about the surrounds. Should I be increasing their DB levels? My right surround is about 7 feet away and the left however is 9+ feet away. The back is close to 12 feet away from the listener. They seem quiet at all volumes? Also I hated the way the bare speaker wire inserted into the binding posts and purchased some mopnster cable opti-flex pins - anyone know how these are supposed to work? I just inserted the wire and pushed it all around the base - it seemed like the only way to keep the connector's from sliding off.

Eric Brown
Unregistered guest
I have a question concerning this system. What is the model # of the receiver. Is it similar to the Onkyo 501/601? I can't find this information anywhere. Thanks in advance for your help...

Sun
Unregistered guest
The receiver is 510

Anonymous

I purchased the hts760 and noticed that I have to turn the volume up a lot higher on DVDs then on the tuner or audio CDs. Does anyone else experience this?

Unregistered guest
I just bought the onk hts 760 (b). When I am watching a dvd at a volume of 20 or higher during loud action scenes or explosions the receiver turns off. This is not very loud and gets quite annoying. Anyone know why? How can I disable this feature?

Dman
Unregistered guest
I just picked mine up yesterday at CC and the took $50 off for the online deal at the store. Hooked it up but still learning how to tweak it but sounds awesome! Any tips on tweaking it? Sub is distorting on me. Is the multi-channel mode better than DD 5.1 which I cant seem to get to.

Username: Project6

Post Number: 141
dunno,
check the wires of your speakers, seems like your amp is clipping and going into protection mode, you don't want to defeat that. You may have a short somewhere, if not, and all your wires are clean, return it. You may have a defective unit.

Dman,
proper calibration should keep your subs from distorting, you may want to get a sound level meter when you set up the speakers. if you want to play it by ear, what you want to happen is that all your speakers should have the same volume when the pink noise is generated.
set all you speakers to "small". Also, check your subwoofer to see if there is anything making contact with it except the floor, if there is a rattling noise, it could be your entertainment system cabinets and glass. happens all the time.
cheers

Dman
Unregistered guest
Thanks Berny. I have the A/V set up with multichannel, is that better than DD 5.1? I have it connected to Pioneer DV 563A-S DVD player and I cant do anything in the multichannel mode. Thanks again.

Post Number: 143
Dman,
the 563a-s is capable of 5.1 analog output. You should have the analog cables connected to the rear of the onkyo under the DVD IN ---front L+R, rear L+R, center & subwoofer, you have set up the 563a-s to send out analog signals along with DD, DTS. If you want to listen to the Pioneer on mulit-channel mode, you have to set your onkyo manually to DVD and i think its the direct button on the right side of the receiver that you need to push to accept analog signals or the digital input button.

for movies, i think it sounds better using the digital output of your 563a-s using either optical or digital coaxial cable ( you can attach this also to the digital input part of the onkyo and then select which signals you want to use by pushing the digital button( next to the subwoofer mode button).
cheers

Anonymous

What kind of wires for speaker & sub ?

I am planning to Get the Onkyo 760 this week.

Any recommendations on the type of wire I should buy for the Sub & speakers ?

Post Number: 151
ooooh, darn, this is dangerous waters you're treading here, (i hope you're not baiting me)but, I use Monsters, because I can get them cheaper than Audioquest. But those are the 2 I would use, nothing more than looks and good price being the reason. Others would disagree and call me a blasphemer, but that is my choice!
cheers

Username: Erknjerk

Post Number: 11
I can get this for $399(ripped box). I could do this or get the Kenwood 7070 receiver and use my buddies speakers till I upgrade to some better units.

Any opinions are appreciated

dman
Unregistered guest
Berny, so I should hook up the (6) total connections analog and hook up Optical or digital. First question, why optical or digital + analog? Whats better, Optical or digital? Whats a good connector, THX, monster and which should I buy? Is there an advantage to digital or coaxial? I had pro-logic but this stuff is a bit confusing to me. I also have a difficult time setting up speaker distance on both machines. I can build a computer but this stuff seems to contradict itself between the 2 machines.

Post Number: 158
dman,
yes that would be a total of 6 analog connections + digtal connections. The digital connections are for your DVD video, they are flagged by your player so it puts out the digital stream to your receiver so it can put out DTS and Dolby signals. The DTS and Dolby are all digital signals.

Dman
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info Berny, it has been very useful and informative.

Anonymous

Onkyo 660 Vs 760

Can someone confirm that the receiver on the 760 is better than the 660 ?

Username: Erknjerk

Post Number: 13
Can't answer your question but I did save $100 for getting the ripped box deal.

Sounds great so far just need to get a sound meter and VE

Dman
Unregistered guest
Just a question of curiosity, where about does everyone have the individual speaker volumes at? My room size is 15x23 and im listening in the long demensions. I have F,C,L @ 3-4 each and and RR, RL @ 2-3 each. No center rear yet, ran out of speaker wire. Also, how about sub volume.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I was just wondering if you guys also replaced the speaker wire to the rears? If so, what kind did you use. Doing so with monster would be very expensive and was just wondering if it was worth it. Also, my sub does not sound as loud and powerful as everyone says its supposed to. Is that just because where Im placing it? Im placing it right next to my tv, right next to my fronts. How do i properly tweak all the settings too? THanks I really appreciate the help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
masterduck,
you would do well with using 12-14 gauge OFC speaker wire for the rears...doesn't matter what brand as long as they are built well.
Regarding your subs, placement is important, but not as crucial as the mains, you may have to experiment depending on your room.
Here are some articles to help you in your tweaking...

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/loudspeakers/calibrating_5_1.php

http://www.hermithome.com/hometheater6.html

cheers

Username: Mopar

Post Number: 1
Bought my Onkyo hts 760 at ecost.com for are you ready........................$269.00 Shipping was over 100 bucks. HEAVY I still think it was a hell of a buy.

jkaipa
Unregistered guest
Got HTS 760 at FRY's Electronics for $ 449

Had to buy 16 guage speaker wire (GE) becos the original wire was just not sufficient. 100 Ft of the wire costed $ 16. Used this to connect all the speakers

The component video cables for all the DVD-VCR-Receiver-TV can cost quite a bit.

Any good suggestions about a DVD Movie that brings out the best in the Onkyo 760.

Username: Mopar

Post Number: 2
pearl harbor

Unregistered guest
Hey Daniel Ellis...I see that ecost.com price for the OnkyoHTS760 is for a refurbished unit. Have you had any problems with it? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Unregistered guest
Try Gladiator...specifies 6.1 on the DVD package.

Rick
Unregistered guest
I've had my Onyko 760 hooked up for a week now and this thing is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Cnet had this system listed as Editors Choice in their review, and I'm glad I trusted their opinion .About the subwoofer cable-monster cable for the sub goes for 40 bucks,I found the equivelant cable from Philips Magnavox for 9 bucks at Menards. Their component video cables are even cheaper than Walmarts. Just trying to save someone some money.

Username: Hwjchim

Post Number: 6
Well, I just bought the Onkyo Home In A Box System.
It's the Onkyo HT-R510.
I bought it at circuit city for $449, and I get
$50 back for rebate and another $50 gift card.
So that's a total of $349. I also bought the 3 Year service plan for 109.99.
So a total of $679.68 (before rebates & gift card). After Rebate & Gift Card, total is $579.68.
Did I need to buy the service plan ?
Did I pay way too much?
Please let me know before it gets too late.
Thanks.

j
Unregistered guest
hey guys if you want some great quailty speaker cable and audio/video cables and you dont want to break the bank try the thx monster standard cables from monster cable. i have tried these on my subwoofer and i did sound a lot better than my old monster subwoofer cable I bought from Best Buy for twice more!

Here is the website. it is www.monstercable.com
and click on Monster THX and click on the Subwoofer Interconnects. Then click on the
Monster Standard THX-Certified Subwoofer Interconnect Cable link. Also look at the prices for the audio and video and speaker cables!!

Oh and Scott IMHO you should get the service plan, I used to work for Best Buy and I always buy the extended warrenty. it give you a peace of mind!! but if you had a Fry's Electronics in your area, you could have gotten the system for $449 and get their 3yr for less. i think it was $49 thru $79.

Username: Dee_seal

Denton, TX

Post Number: 4
Anyone else with a refurbished 760 6.1 ONKYO I think I will be buying one this weekend for sure? Just wanna make sure they all hold up.

DN

nick7590
Unregistered guest
I would like opinions on refurbished system as well. For half the price is it worth it? Do you know how it is warranteed and if the sound quality is the same?

Please let me know

Also, scott how did you find the system at 449 with all thsoe rebates. I just checked circuit city and it was 499 with only a 25 dollar card.

Denton, TX

Tell u what if by this weekend: The end of my credit card billing cycle :-). No one comments on a refurbished system I will, and i think I am getting the refurbished 6 DVD player as well. Any reviews on that DVD player I have not seen or heard any feedback on that particular unit

Post Number: 7
nick, I bought this system on March 29.
At that time it was being solde for $449
and you get 2 $50 mail in rebates (1 is for a CC gift card and another is for $50).
I'm not sure how much it is now.

I love this system. It has all the features that I needed. Obviously this is my first receiver too, but I love this sucker. At first, I was a little confused about how to set it up with so many plugs, but now I got it down.
As for refurbished, I'm not sure. I got mine brand new.

Post Number: 8
I should add, it was $499, but when I bought it, it was on sale for $449.

Denton, TX

Post Number: 7
just ordered the DV-CP701 and HT-S760 6.1-channel home theater audio system , all refurbished from pcmall under $475 all delivered. I am so excited. it should be here in a week I will post my impressions then

Anonymous

saw the posts about the refurb.... i saw it at ecost, for only $240, but they won't ship it to apo, so they won't get my business....

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=301920

Denton, TX

Post Number: 9
Ordered my refurb from pcmall last weeekend, it arrived on wednesday, brown box with refurb ONKYO written on it. Plugged it up last night and everything sounds great. I got the 760 and the 701 6 disc all shipped for under $475. They all had refurbished stickers under them, but you can never tell. Everything works, it even comes with a 7 day tech support number for hook ups and a one year warranty. All in all I am very happy with the deal this is definitely one of my best purchases. I just need a good deal on NEC460K to complete my home theatre. As soon as the 760S hits the refurb market I will be getting it for my bedroom with a 701 silver 6 dvd player, hopefully this is available within my next credit card statement :-). this deal is so sweet I feel like a thief :-).

I heard bad things bout PCmall and ecost which is basicallhy the same thing but I am totally sold on them now.

elgo
Unregistered guest
Horrible newb question:

How do you connect the speaker wire to the amp ??

Dumb me keeps thinking: loosen up the knob, insert wire, tighten knob. That clearly isn't it.

Thanks ! Eric

Tim Taft
Unregistered guest
People have been asking about the refurbished model, so here is my experience: ordered refurb from ONKYO.com, nice deal by the way (free shipping, plus speaker stands). Spent half a day hooking system up, turned it on, sounds great. Shuts off after 5 minutes. Does this every time. Defective unit out of the box.

Tech site says to take to local repair shop. They say 7-10 days to repair under warranty. I call them after 8 days, they say "Oh we had to send it to Onkyo, it will take up to 3 weeks to get it fixed". Now, a bit grumpy I call Onkyo to get a new one sent. Well they won't do it because I took it ot the repair place. So I have to go back to the rapair place, get them to get it back from Onkyo and then send it in, then they will send me a new one.

Imagine how long that will take.

I am torqued. CRAPPY customer service. Especially after sending me a defective refurbished unit. Bad taste in mouth from Onkyo. Would return whole unit, but what a huge hassle to repackage and send that behemoth.

Your mileage may vary, but there are some benefits to brick and mortar.

Jon111
Unregistered guest
I have this same system for about two months now. It has the most unbelievable and aggravating problem. The receiver will shut off by itself after being turned on for five minutes. Essentially, it seems like the amp protection or the heatsink is faulty. The big problem here is that the thing shuts off intermitently. That is, if the receiver has been on and off all day it will not shut down on initial startup. But say it is off all night and I start it up in the morning when it is cold, it will just shut down. I can merely start it up again once it shuts off and it will run for the rest of the day without a hitch. I took it in for service and (of course) the stupid service center could not reproduce the problem. I know it's the receiver's fault because it exhibits this behavior with NOTHING CONNECTED to it. I think I am going to have to send it in directly to Onkyo but am unsure how to do this since I can't seem to find the customer service phone number. All I have is their 800 number. Any help would be appreciated. btw..mine is brand new. Not refurbished. Makes me wonder about the quality control.

Anonymou
Unregistered guest
All these infos are really helpful to me as a new
owner of 760.Now 12-14 gauge are ok to surround speakes ,how about the bracket mounting to these
surround? Which one fit and where that i can buy?
Any info is really appreciated.

Chris G
Unregistered guest
Just bought mine from the ONKYO website - best place to buy for me - since the CC rebates were over. I paid $489 - no tax, no shipping and it came with free ($70 value) Onkyo speaker stands for the fronts(saved $10 after signing up for Club Onkyo, plus I now have a 25 pts equal to 25 dollar credit on their website). Planning to go buy a sub cable after reading your posts - thanks for all the info folks

Username: Blue_g

the perfect match to your HTS760:
http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_19794.htm

The DVD player is brand new (not a refurb). I ordered one and the total with shipping was just under $200. Should arrive Thursday. Will let you know how it is. One Call customer service was great. Will be picking up the HTS760 this weekend, probably at Circuit City. If they won't honor the $50 off sale, then I'll just order from Onkyo website like Chris G did. $489 total including speaker stands is a good deal.

Anonymous

Guys, if anyone is considering the HTS760, I found an AWESOME deal a couple weeks ago at Circuit City. It was a 5-hour sale and they had the HTS760 for only $399, plus a $50 gift card. UNBELIEVABLE -- I did some quick research on the Net, saw the phenomenal reviews, and couldn't pass it up. Of course there is no guarantee that it will go down to this price again, but maybe they have a large inventory of these systems and they are lowering the price every so often on them. I monitor a couple of deal sites daily and this is where I saw the original post about the 5-hour sale:

www.techbargains.com OR
www.xpbargains.com

So far so good with the unit. I'm really happy with the sound so far! The included wires are crap, so plan to pick up higher-quality speaker wire. I also picked up new digital optical, S-video, and subwoofer cables to connect up my receiver with my DVD, Xbox, TV and subwoofer, which ran me another $120. Remember, if you are willing to spend $400-500 on equipment, it's worth plunking down another $100-150 for quality wires. It will make a difference.

As far as a DVD/CD player to go along with it, I really want to get something that supports SACD. I'd rather have a multi-changer, but from my research so far, the Pioneer DV-563A is a solid and versatile single-disc player that is also getting rave reviews. Only thing that sucks is it's in silver.

Now it's time to find wall-mounts that will hold my three surround speakers! Onkyo website lists these things at 4 pounds each. They are big puppies but then again, so is the sound.

Anonymou
Unregistered guest
Three surround speakers have a bracket on the back
so the only thing you need to do is find a screw that fit to it.

I just picked up the Onkyo HT-S760 at Fry's in Tempe, AZ for $347.

Justin V
Unregistered guest
Haha, Blue, I got my S760 a couple days ago at the same frys for the same price. Apparantly it was an open box but the guy said the system itself was brand new. Good deal. Now I just have to find stands and longer cable for the surround speakers.

Post Number: 9
Nice! That Fry's is a zoo. Only place I know of where you can buy a plasma tv, a bag of peanuts, and toilet paper at the same time. $347 is a killer deal for this much sound, though.

Anu
Unregistered guest
My HTS760 costed me $317 from CC (Brand New). I got it initially for $535 ($499 + taxes) with a $50 mail in rebate + $50 merchandise card. Then a few weeks later I noticed the price went down to $399 during the 5 hour special, as i was within my 30 day period (infact it was the 30th day) I called up CC and talked about their low price guarantee and I was refunded 110% of the differnce. That was another $118. So the net was $535-100-118 = $317.

Now I have made it a habbit to track the price for 30 days everytime i buy something. It always helps.

Cables: ...definately make a difference. I already have monster S-video, optical and digital co-axial cable. I plan to buy subwoofer cable and the multi-chanel RCA for DVD-Audio...just waiting for my merchandise card.

DVD player: After a lot of research i went in for the panasonic F-87 (black) for $119. This player is so cool. It plays any damn thing from DVD-audio to Jpegs. Only thing is it does not have an optical output , but that does nt make a difference cause I had also got a Sony 5 disc changer along with it that had an optical out and did a comparison. Believe me no difference. Finally returned the Sony, it was good but dint play jpegs, dvd-audio, SACD and lacked in some other features

Username: Aussie

Sydney, NSW Australia

Hey Guys - was thinking about buying one of these when I'm over (from Oz) in a couple of weeks. Is it a big package when boxed? ie I'll be taking it on the plane. And will it go at 240 Volts which is our standard in Austalia Verses your 120???

zack
Unregistered guest
I have a question for the people that got the Onkyo As-510 speakers stand.

Is the stand base size is big enough for the HTS760 front speakers ? The specs says "6" wide by 7" deep". The speakers are bigger than that spec but is it stable for the speakers ?

I bought the HT760 and I still looking for some front speaker stands.

mohanherle
Unregistered guest
David Legge,
It is very big with all the package in place & very heavy also.
U can consiser repacking the speakers and Sub which will save U enough space. Do not open receiver box- it would not help U in any way.
If U buy it in US, it works on 110/120 volts.
But you can always buy a converter. Here or elsewhere. (but ensure it supports around 300 watts.)
All the trouble is worth while looking at the performance.

bjc
Unregistered guest
zack -

Did you end up getting the Onkyo AS-510 stands? If so, is the base of each stand big enough for the front speakers? Are the stands good in general?

If not, which stands did you go with?

I ordered the HTS-770 from J&R, but it's on backorder. Onkyo is offering free AS-510 stands with the HTS-770, so I'm trying to figure out if by canceling my J&R order and going with Onkyo I can get free stands and get my system sooner.

Thanks for any advice.

Anonymous

Does anybody know the difference between HTS-760 and HTS - 770 besides the subwoofer power (220 watts on 770 compared to 150 watts on 760)

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 17
100 watt x 6, 150 watt sub
Dolby PrologicII
Dolby Digital
DTS

135 watt x 6, 220 watt sub
Dolby PrologicIIx
Dolby Digital EX
DTS-ES

I think there may be some other minor differences.

My 2 pennies is that for the extra $50 the 770 is a better deal, but I'm biased as I have one.

Edster922
Unregistered guest
Gene,

Is it true that the 770 can convert 2-chanel stereo sound into 6.1 which the 760 doesn't? If so, that to me would justify paying a little more for it over the 760.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Actually all, I was apparently wrong as the 760 indeed has Dolby-EX and DTS-EX (RTFM applies here).

Please keep in mind that I'm a newb when it comes to this, Yes the 770 does 6 channel from stereo sources. I think that is the Prologic IIx vs. the Prologic II.

Don G
Unregistered guest
I just purchased the 760 reading the manual it seems harder than I thought I have comcast dtv converter box,mitsubishi hdtv and panasonic dvd,
any ideas where to start--speakers are done, the manual hooks up each individual

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
If the Comcast box is composite out then audio to Video1 on the amp and composite to composite in on TV. (the 760/770 don't do upconversion of video so you'll need to do two inputs on the HDTV.

Component out of DVD (if it has it) to component in on amp (audio as well) and component out of amp to component in of HDTV OR:
audio to AMP and DVD component out to component in of HDTV (your choice).

Londo M.
Unregistered guest
I mounted my surrounds with:
AVF - Vector - Speaker Wall Mounts 500
(purchased at Home Depot)

PRO:
- The speaker rests on top of an thick, U-Channel, metal arm. With something this large I didn't want some flimsy plastic mount. The box says these can handle up to 45 lbs [20 kg]. It didn't move when grabbed one to avoid a fall while running speaker cable. FYI: I'm 155+ lbs [70+ kg].

CON:
- I don't know if this is the "prettiest" solution available, but the speakers are large and black. Large black brackets aren't giving up much.
- The mounts have very little "down angle" for the speakers. It's a annoying for me, becasue I had to mount near the ceiling in a smaller than usual space. (think dorm room).

TIPS:
- The speaker cable included in the bundle is very thinn and unusable for the Surround Speakers. I used Monster Cable for all speakers.
- The *DTS* decoder is, IMHO, much better than the Dolby Decoder. With two channel input the system defualts to PL II, however I think you will prefer the DTS:Neo. With multi-channel DVD's turn on DTS if it's avilable!
- I don't think this is a sampling rate issue. The Onkyo DTS implementation makes *MUCH* better use of the rear/surround speakers.

Pat McD
Unregistered guest
O man. I picked up the HT-S770 at Fry's "Day after Thanksgiving Sale" for $379 - I sure was thankful!

FYI - new speaker wire is a must. www.partsexpress.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us