Kenwood HTB-506 vs. Onkyo HT-S760?

Username: Blue_g

Post Number: 2
Any recommendations?

I'm in the market for a sub-$500 home theater system. I will mainly be watching DVD's but this sytem will also serve as home stereo (AM/FM and CD's). Digital cable to be added in the future.

I can get the Onkyo for $450 shipped or the Kenwood for $350 shipped (both new in box). Stats on both are very similar (6.1, 100w x 6, 150w sub). The Kenwood appears to handle more formats (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II Processing) than the Onkyo (DTS/Dolby Pro Logic II Decoding). The Kenwood also appears to have more input capability.

The Kenwood uses 4" x 2 front channel cones whereas the Onkyo uses 5.25" x 2. Other sizes are the same. Can anyone offer insight into build quality/reliability?

I have the Onkyo DVCP701 DVD player on it's way, but I can return it for a Kenwood if needed.

I've never used Onkyo, but I've had Kenwood receiver/CD player components for years. My receiver is about 12 years old and going strong. I'm putting the big money into a rear projection HDTV at this point; I will do a nicer audio system in the future, but I want to be happy with this "home theater in a box" system for at least a couple years.

Thank you for your advice; this site is GREAT!

-Blue

Silver Member
Username: Gdawg

Canada

Post Number: 103
Blue,
I would have to say, go to a local circuit city and test them out in person. The sound will be pretty much the same at this level.

If you have bought an Onkyo DVD Player, then go with the Onkyo system. They will match up better.
You seem to know what you want, so I would just go with what feels right.

The Kenwoods more user freindly IMO, and has a better sub, but I would think the Onkyo has a better amp stage. The Kenwood is less, however.

G.DawG

Username: Blue_g

Post Number: 8
thanks

I went Onkyo all the way. Very happy with my decision.

By the way, I got the Onkyo for $350 brand new from a local Fry's Electronics.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us