Identity theft at 13!

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 25698
Ok so my accountant finished my taxes last night and filed them electronically today. Just like he has for the last 11 years without ever a hiccup. What's the difference this year? My return gets denied because my son's SSN has come up as already been claimed. Naturally my accountant suggests that I speak with my ex, who may or may not have "accidentally" added his # to her return by mistake. For the record our son lives with me full time and our daughter with her. No problems with the returns the last decade so what gives this year?

My ex swears she didn't claim him on her return and I believe her. After all if she did the IRS will find out and if she's lying then my lawyer will be contacting her. Anyway that isn't the case as we are on good terms.

So what does that leave? That means somehow, either through school or hospital records someone got a hold of my son's SSN and found out how to claim him as their own. This is upsetting because not only does MY return get flagged but the matter gets turned over to their investigative department where an inquiry will be filed. That means my return is being held hostage until they figure it out. That could take MONTHS.

To make matters worse my return was going to be used in conjunction with my trade in to buy a new truck. This is all on hold now. Grrrrrrrr.

I know identity theft happens millions of times a day and is old news but who would have thought such trouble would come from it happening to my 13 year old son?

I was reminded that it's not a matter of simply mistyping a digit or two but they have to also have my son's full name to go with the SSN, otherwise both names would be flagged.

This just sucks. That and the truck I was going to buy today got swept out under me by an auctioning dealer. Perfect truck, perfect price. My timing was just 24hrs too late. Bad luck comes in threes so I don't think I want to wake up tomorrow! This truck with only 65,000 miles for only $12,900? I missed out on a gem for sure!!!

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Applebees

Post Number: 665
sh!t happens.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 2135
Wow Paul that sucks. I hope everything turns out to get better soon for ya bro!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25699
That's ok. I decided to keep my Dodge ram and buy a Chrysler Sebring. Just means I'll be paying for two auto insurances now. Had to file my taxes manually this year because of this mess and I'll be watching the mail for an audit indication letter from the IRS. That SOB who used my son's SSN, whomever he/she is, will be found and eventually it will get straightened out. Ah such is life.

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 17114
I had the same happen to me years ago with both my sons (my dependents) and someone else unknown claiming them also as their dependents to the IRS..it withheld my refund also...but the IRS didn't take long, less than a month , to find the other person, and grant me my full refund with my 2 dependent children's credits..

I file paper manually every year and get a refund check back usually within 2-3 weeks..

Diamond Member

Post Number: 25703
Well all got resolved and I got my refund by check. It sucks because now that this happened I was informed my return will be red flagged for at least the next three years. I'll never know who used my son's SSN and the IRS may not either. Nothing worse then having several grand held hostage until they figure it out. Oh well I guess.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us