The Oil Spill

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 794
What are your takes on this massive oil spill? Hard to believe its worse than the one in Alaska back in 89. I was watching on the news a few days ago, where even after 21 years and the area had been "cleaned" up, there is still oil there. A man dug down a few inces into the soil and there was still oil everywhere. The surface looked ok, but underneath showed the reality. The local people there were also saying that if water from the ocean washes onto shore and settles down you can still see the hazziness in the water from where there is still oil in it. I figure that if the spill in the Gulf is worse than the one in Alaska, there may be problems long after the leak is finally stopped.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22882
It's a bad scene. Florida beaches are already showing signs of contamination. BP "promises" the cost of cleaning up will NOT rest on tax payers but seeing as they don't have the capability to stop the flow out of the well I doubt they will impress anyone with their efforts after the disaster. Yes the Exxon-Valdez mess still shows signs of oil and what makes this much worse is the region, timing and shear volume of this accident. We're about to start the hurricane season. The gulf is center stage and with as hard a season as they predict this year it's going to compound the situation triple fold. Not only will it accelerate the surface spreading but also hinder the cleanup process, which will easily cost in the billions.

It makes you think they learned nothing from the mess from Exon-Valdez. BP, IMO, will have to offset the immense financial burden the local fisheries will experience due to this mess by employing all those effected in the are in the cleanup process. It's only fair. They put them out of business, at the very least they can give them a decent paying job for the next year or two helping to reverse the effects of this disaster.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8053
Well, at least they found the problem.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5751
Upload

http://paulrademacher.com/oilspill/

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1620
damn...

New Alias:
BP - Broken Pipe

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22886
That's a great overlay of the spill/accident in relation to size Brad.

This is something we will have to deal with for YEARS to come for sure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8059
yea, I haven't been down to the gulf since the spill, but I have family/friends down there. My step-dad works offshore and all hell is breaking loose.

I will be in Biloxi, Ms, on the 24th of this month for Scrapin' the Coast...so I will go down to the shore and get some pics. NickV called some hotels down there to get reservations and they were offering a $50 gas card for anyone that booked 3 nights. I usually vacation w/ my family in Gulf Shore, AL, but it looks like this year it's a no-go.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3135

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22912
It's already many times worse than Exxon-Valdez with possibly weeks or months to go. Here is a worst case scenario prediction if all else fails. I've read that scientists "predict" the goo won't make it to beaches of the northeast but the obvious destruction to the gulf and Florida are almost a certainty and happening as we speak. Even if the oil is floating mainly 100's of miles offshore you just have to continue to wonder what effect it's going to have on the ocean and it's food chain.

Upload

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 841
What if a bad hurricane was to sweep through the gulf again, or even a minor one at that.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5755
1 million gallons a day and counting:

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4468
If Obama fixes the leak.....would it be nikka rigged?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16389
at 1st i didnt know how serious it was but it has got to be the worst oil disaster of all time since 1000s of barrels are coming out ...

a early sign of 2012 ? ...

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1632
now estimating 1.5 thru 2.5 million gallons a day!

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 856
You think BP could go under as a company because of this? Losing all that oil and paying out the money they are now, plus whatever else may come up in the future, you think it could happen? If so and they do happen to go down, who picks up the tab then?

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 16365
BP will NEVER go under over this...their profits are enormous...the costs of cleanup, restoration, penalties and fines, etc won't put a dent in their finances...and u can bet, that much of these costs will be transferred down to the users (me and you) in the end..

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22934
The estimates keep going up almost every day. It makes the absurd claim of only 5000 barrels a day originally by BP a joke. Even high school students across the country are smart enough to realize the insanity of their claims. I've been doing some reading on it and I've read the pressure of the well head is close to 9000 psi (other estimates are always floating around). Take into account the depth and the pressure of the water pushing back at 2300 psi you're still left with roughly 6700 psi of oil coming out a 21 inch pipe.

Now step back and realize the average pressure in your home's water line is around 60 psi.

Does that it put it in perspective?

By the way, here's what the slick looked like from space back on May 24th. That's 3 weeks ago.

Upload

It's still pumping, no slowing down. My earlier graphic of a worst case scenario is looking more and more like a reality.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8094
Well, I'll be in Biloxi on the 24th.
I will get pics then...if it is bad.

Thinking about it, I might buy some BP stock pretty soon on the cheap. Not much, but some. You never know...lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us