The im on a diet thread

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14178
Im getting so sick of tuna.....im on a 1200 calorie a day diet with 110 grams of protein and 110 grams of carbs and 22 grams of fat....interested to see some suggestions

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

Steady as she goes

Post Number: 11169
eat a BABY every day, you wont be hungry anymore.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14179
not quite the advice I was looking for haha

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1204
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14181
haha julian I already have really lean hamburger 97% lean Ill have to start eating that along with chicken breast

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1606
grill fish? grill chicken? I say anything grilled is healthy lol.

Anyways I hear ya...tuna gets boring after a while once its a constant part of your diet. Try mixing it up and get protein from different things. Almonds, nuts, eggs (though limit the yolk intake), turkey etc are also great sources.
But damn, once a week i always end up crossing the line and indulge in the thickest piece of steak and a sh!tload of sides lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14187
yeah ill have to grill some fish once in a while I can add spices and stuff to it....I already grill chicken but I could start flavoring that up to because right now I eat it plain

I do like steak so Ill have to get those super lean individual packs they sell at walmart for that....I havent had them for quite a while

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14191
im also going to switch out my special k with yogurt and fruit for total whole grain cereal. Ill get more vitamins than special k gave and less calories and almost the same serving size

32 grams a serving for special k 120 calories
and 30 grams a serving for total whole grain 97 calories

I also am using natures own double fiber wheat bread at 50 calories a slice for a whopping 10 grams of fiber in 2 slices

I could go with a 35 calorie per slice bread but two slices would only yeild 4 total grams of fiber

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14202
I think im going to cut out diet sodas since they contain aspartame too....I dont like putting that stuff in my body

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4458
Have you thought about trying less carbs, and more healthy fats instead? The fats just seem freakishly low to me. Also, you said 1200 cals/day with 110g protein 110g carbs and 22g fat, but that's 1,034 cals/day. Just pointing it out maybe a miscalculation or something?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14221
correction that was 120 grams of protein 120 grams of carbs and 26 grams of fat

I was taking in 1200 before but I was just looking at the calories and thought I needed 110 grams of carbs but by the next morning I was carb depleted so id hate to cut back on carbs id cut back on protein to 100 grams so that would give me 80 calories so thats 9 grams of fat I can add to 26....what do you think

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14222
my ratios at

120 protein is 40%
120 carbs 40%
26 fat 20% and twenty is the low side of what they recommend for fats

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 748
I'm curious where you got the idea at for that diet. The normal ratio is carbs 45% - 60%, fats 20% - 25 % and protein 15% - 20% , recommended as a daily intake. Your body only needs a certain amount of the three. Anything that is taken that the body doesn't need is broken down into glucose, stored in the liver, then stored in the fat cells. I doubt you need that much protein in your diet. The idea is to eat nutrient dense foods and healthy fats. Fish is good, but it also contains a lot of mercury which isn't good to over consume. Also protein is not taken directly as some people assume. Protein is an amino acid which comes from meats, nuts, etc that you eat, the acid chains are broken down and reassembled into amino acids your body needs.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14230
that advice on protien at 15-20% is for sedentary people who dont exercise....people who work out like I do are recommended .8 to 1 gram per pound of lean mass especially when dieting

i

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes

Post Number: 11173
ballin.

i probably eat upwards of 200 grams of protein a day. lol

i have ~60g in the morning.
lunch (usually a sandwich and a protein shake(45g) i buy at work)
dinner (not sure but always meat and cheese)
and then ~33g at night.

so yeah, 15-20% protein wouldnt work for me either, id be sore for a week if i only got ~50-75g of protein a day.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4459

quote:

The normal ratio is carbs 45% - 60%, fats 20% - 25 % and protein 15% - 20%

The FDA is winning their battle to kill Americans by way of obesity, one carb at a time.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4460
Oh, btw Muddy, I wear a mean dark pair o shades, and you can't see my eyes, less my head is bent, you dig?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 749
Your first sourse of energy in the body is from carbohydrates.. Second is protein and then fats. That is why its so hard to "burn" fat, because its the last source to be used and it takes extreme conditions to get rid of it. Depending on how much you eat a day, that 45% doesn't have to mean its a whole lot. Taking large amounts of protein can be harmful for your health. I'll refresh my memory a little and be back with details..

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 750
I'm curious why you think carbs are so bad, when per gram Protein AND carbohydrates both have 4 calories a piece. Over eating carbs OR protein will have equal increases in calorie intake which can result in weight gain.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4461
I don't think carbs are bad at all. I eat them every single day. I just think that ratio isn't ideal for most people other than those doing some SERIOUS cardio/endurance training.

That protein ratio can stand to go up plenty without being harmful as long as you're getting it from clean sources and taking in plenty of liquids.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14239
I do need to have more carbs because even on non workout days im pretty much carb depleted the next morning.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9624
God damnit, stop the bro-science! If you don't know what you're talking about please learn before misleading people. Sean, that protein intake is on the lower side but if you're preserving your lean body mass then it's all good. By the way, there's no way you're going to carb deplete in a single day lol. Unless you're running marathons. On average a marathon runner will feel a massive "dump" in energy at the 20 mile mark because the average person stores around 2,000 calories worth of energy in the form of glycogen and again, I'm using the word "average" here...the average person burns 100 calories per mile run.

Anyhow, Sean the diet seems decent but if it were me I'd cut the carbs and add in more fat and a tiny bit more protein(keeping in mind your low amounts of LBM).

Lastly, a 40-40-20 is what is recommended by many fitness peeps/scrubs/bros. It seems to be the most prescribed ratio.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 9625
Oh and in case you guys are wondering, I was saying Shawn was preching bro science. I won't blast him for everything he's said but I'll touch upon one thing for the hell of it.

"Over eating carbs OR protein will have equal increases in calorie intake which can result in weight gai"
Okay, sure, you're correct. However, after you factor in TEF you can be sure that fat gains would be far less for an individual consuming 20,000 calories from protein versus 20,000 calories from carbohydrates, not only would fat gain be less but gains in lean body mass would be better and you'd drop a boatload more weight in general.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4463
Listen to Rob, he is in amazing shape for someone who only eats fruit, and trains exclusively on the flirty girl fitness regiment.

Okay, seriously though, when it comes to fitness and nutrition, if Rob says something, it's probably true. He has seriously put in the study time.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 759
If you were to eat the same amount of calories from carbohydrates and protein, the carbohydrates would have you gain weight quicker, you are right. That is because your body uses protein for many,many functions in the body, rather than just repairing muscle. Its first form of use for energy in the body will be from carbs, what has passed through the blood stream and is not being used will then store as glycogen and then into the fat cells. Protein would have to be in such an abundance to be used for every other function in the body, which would take away from the total intake that was consumed, then broken down into glucose as a secondary source of energy. My point was, if you cut back on the carbs too much, protein is sacrificed in a form of energy for the body, versus doing what it is meant to do. If you eat enough carbs, without over eating them, then your protein intake can do what it is meant to do, not provide a form of energy. As far as curving your appetite, for someone looking to eat less, protein and fat in a meal help a person to feel full and satisfied. However, if calorie intake is a concern, fiber has the same side effect and has many good benefits along with it, like lowering bad cholesterol. I know plenty about this subject

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 9626
"Protein would have to be in such an abundance to be used for every other function in the body, which would take away from the total intake that was consumed, then broken down into glucose as a secondary source of energy."

The human body is extremely efficient at using energy stores(fat and muscle mass) when there's a lack of intake. I'll dip into PSMF/VLCD for the heck of it. A PSMF is a protein sparing modified fast and falls under a very low calorie diet(VLCD). So far everything I've read about people consuming nothing but 500 calories from protein have lost pure fat and nothing more. The gray areas are how much protein is needed and what kind of activity is required to preserve said mass? This is going to differ from person to person because of genetics of course. Personally when I've done PSMF I haven't lost any lean body mass so for me it's a great way to lean out fast.

Touching upon lower bad cholesterol- The best thing you can do for this is get off your azz and exercise while on a good diet and drop your body fat. Issues with cholesterol tend to subside after that.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 760
"Also, watch out for " high-protein" diets, which promise quick weight loss by encouraging large amounts of protein while severely limiting carbohydrate intake (no bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereal, and so on). You might lose weight, but not from any magical combination of "high protein/low carbohydrates." One reason may be loss of water because the breakdown of excessive protein causes frequent urination. Another explanation may be that your total calories usually decrease when you're limited to high-protein foods. How much plain protein can you really eat?

Furthermore, these high-protein/low-carb eating plans can be unhealthy (unless you are clinically diagnosed with hyperinsulinemia by your physician). Your body cannot burn fat efficiently without adequate carbohydrates. As a result, you produce compounds called ketones, which can accumulate in the blood and leave you feeling dizzy, nauseous, fatigued, and headachy--and give you incredibly bad breath. What's more, excessive protein can also put an added strain on your kidneys. It's pretty ironic when the goal of losing weight should be to improve your health, not make it worse."

From this site: http://life.familyeducation.com/protein/foods/48678.html

Its been a while since I first learned all this stuff, I had forgotten that when protein is broken down into simple sugars that a toxin is released into your bloodstream which can lead to multiple problems in the body.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 9628
Carbohydrates aren't needed at all to burn fat efficiently =/ The research in your post is most likely funded by fruit or grain farmers

So I went and checked out your source of information and saw this-

Recommendations on protein Via your source-

Males
11--14 years 45 grams
15--18 years 58 grams
19--24 years 59 grams
25+ years 63 grams

*However, this chart does not take into account your size--and larger people tend to have greater protein requirements. The following calculation is a more popular method for calculating daily protein amongst most health professionals:
Your weight in pounds multiplied by .36 to .50 = Daily protein requirement (in grams)
*Avid exercisers and athletes require even more. Check out Food Before, During, and After Exercise for more information.

Of course that was posted really, really small underneath =/

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes

Post Number: 11175
MORE PROTEEEEEEEEIN

DEADLIFT THE FU@# OUT OF SOME WEIIIIIGHTSSSSS

and thanks for the vid Ehren, i was leanin and rockin the whole time i was reading this.

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes

Post Number: 11176
i drink whole milk and eat 5 meat-6 cheese pizza and then slaughter school children after i work out. helps me recover faster.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4466
I love it Rob. It's like when "experts" proclaim that "research" shows that 2000 calories a day is the ideal diet. Really? So that goes for a 110lb sedentary female, as well as a 240lb male lifting heavy weights? "Experts" lmao....

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 764
Its all going to come down to ratios. I think the confusion is people are looking at total grams taken and not the overall percentage. The ratios will differ depending upon how active a person is of course, but I couldnt see the need for more than 30% of your intake to be protein. If a person was that active to need that much protein in their overall daily diet, they would be expending a whole lot of energy during such vigirous activity. Expending that type of energy is going to require an adequate amount of carbohydrates. Its also going to come down to the individual person as well, as you said. Depending if theyre looking to lose weight, gain mass or maintain a given weight. If a person is looking to gain mass, their percentages will remain pretty much the same, but with calorie intake going up, the total grams will go up. 30% protein in a 2k calorie diet would be 150 grams of protein. If a person was consuming more, that same 30% in say a 3k calorie diet would raise to 225 grams of protein. The other gram intakes of carbs and fat would change just the same. Its all about a person's goals.

The quote I posted was simply to help explain just a few of the concerns when over consuming protein. There again, not how many grams, but rather how large of a percentage out of your entire diet. If you were eating more protein than anything else, that could lead to problems.

Saying that it was posted by farmers was funny though. It may have been, the food industry is a large market in the economy, everyone has to eat right? Just like whey protein. Whey protein is a bi-product left over from producing milk and other dairy products. Why throw it away when companies can market it and make large profits on it. Then you take all the magazines, commercials on top of that and you have a whole culture believing the high protein intake myth. Its hard to break preconceivied notions. People make money at this and want people to buy into it. I was the same before taking nutrition courses. I used to take a lot of protein and glutamine as well. Then I obtained some knowledge on the subject and learned more about how the body works.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 765
The 2000 calorie diet is based on a "normal" person, but who is normal, and with how obese america is getting, who really eats 2000 calories anymore. A person's intake is going to depend on how large a person is, how active they are and how they live their life. A person who carries a lot of muscle mass is going to have a higher metabolism than someone fat and over weight. Thats why they tend to stay hungry and eat more frequently. That leads to eating smaller meals more often than 3 large meals. The body can only handle so much calorie (energy) intake all at once. What is not needed is stored, either as glycogen, then once the liver is fully stored it moves onto a rather limitedless storage space, the fat cells. Eating smaller meals gives the body an intake it can manage and handle properly without having to store into the fat cells.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 9630
"Expending that type of energy is going to require an adequate amount of carbohydrates."

Let's pretend I totally took this out of context BUT I have performed at extreme intensities while in ketosis for a long while. Hell, some people have been in keto for years(supposedly) and haven't had issues with performance. As for your talk of meal frequency it doesn't matter. You can sit here and debate about it if you'd like but digestion rates of subject X with Y activity while on Z intake are unknown. A good example is the silly saying that the human body can only use 40 grams of protein per meal. Is that per fraction of a second or the course of an entire day? Many people obtain great results consuming 1 meal per day, many obtain great results consuming 6 per day. The guys that stay the leanest the longest have a pattern from what I've realized, it's an 8 hour feeding window after training. Intermittent fasting is pretty much the hail mary of dieting when it comes to leaning out and either preserving or gaining lean body mass.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14248
Interesting conversation I see useful info from both parties thanks guys

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 767
Haha

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 9632
Lol Shawn, way to contribute to the thread!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us