Plassma/LCD/LED?????

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3089
What's up guys hoping to get some help on which tv to buy. I have a budget of $2,000 here are some that I found. My living room is 15X20 so the bigger the better. I was looking at 65" but I couldn't find wall mounts. Do they make wall mounts that support a 65? Let me know what you guys think or if there are other I should be looking at.

1. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+55%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LED-LCD+HDTV /9234303.p?id=1218068137461&skuId=9234303

2. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+55%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LED-LCD+HDTV /9234303.p?id=1218068137461&skuId=9234303

3. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+/+58%22+Class+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+Pl asma+HDTV/9431279.p?id=1218104303192&skuId=9431279

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 16160
LCD over plasma...

and remember the 3 S's...Sony, Samsung, Sharp....all very good..Vizio isn't bad either..

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1463
Actually if you can find one of Pioneer's plasma TVs (not sure what model but will find out), IMO it beats the crap outta most LCDs out right now.

LED is nice but its new as well so its $$$. I have LCDs at home and they are pretty good.

Here is a wall mount for that size tv. I think we have a thread somewhere also where someone (i think Brad) gives an analysis of lcd vs plasma vs led.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=185-434

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10990
If you want the best, LCD with an LED backlight is the only way to go... those things are freakin amazing... spanks any plasma or conventional LCD.

Username: Rebecca005

Post Number: 2
Have you thought of buying chinese brand?

actually they are cheap and the quality is also very excellent.

Many chinese brand are also very popupar in the world, such as SKYWORTH, CHANGHONG....

If you need any advice about chinese brand, maybe you can ask me for assistance. I would like to help.

My email: rebecca005@hotmail.com
liyuan.miracle@hotmail.com

Gold Member

SoCal

Post Number: 3090
What do you guys think of the below samsung? Is there a huge difference between the 140hz and 240hz?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+55%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LED-LCD+HDTV /9234303.p?id=1218068137461&skuId=9234303

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3452
"Actually if you can find one of Pioneer's plasma TVs"

Elite.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16170
IMO...ya ain't gonna notice any diff between the 120 or 240...I have a couple of 42 inch HD LCD's..1 is 60hz, other is 120hz..both 1080's....they look the same to me..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16171
IMO..this Vizio will do ya just fine..and save ya $700 compared to that samsung...its only $1298 w options...thats samsung 120hz is $1998, and that 240hz is over $3000...and the warranties are the same on all of em...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-55-LCD-HDTV-with-your-choice-of-an-optional-acce ssory/13269387

ya know fer the same price ya can buy 2 - 42 inch ones...they're $598 each...lol

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

FL

Post Number: 10920
Personally, I can tell a HUGE difference in the 60hz and 120hz televisions. It's an image processing software that recreates the image every so many fractions of a millimeter to make the image appear more smooth with less fragmentation.

It looks awkward to me, and less natural, making fast moving images appear slower, and more linear in their movement speed. Some people don't notice it, like my friends dad, he says he can't see a difference at all, could you if you didnt know what to look for? lol

Also, don't wast your money on Vizio. you would be foolish to buy a tv that isnt made my Samsung or Sony, as they pretty much OWN the Tv market with their overseas manufacturing facility. I believe we had a thread regarding this like Mr. Skullz said earlier. Can't remember exactly, but i think it pertains to Brad and I and some others discussing it. If i'm not mistaken Sony and Samsung made a joint-purchase on this facility or something to that effect.

LG makes a decent set, and i would buy from them or Sharp before Vizio ever came into mind.

you pay more for more features, like with anything else, and from MY personal taste, i don't prefer the 120hz or the 240hz. BUT with that being said, the tv's that have those features generally are of a higher quality with the latest technology and highest quality components.

LCD is the king of the TV market, because of its versatility, if you have a room in your house, LCD can go in it. If you have a room that has too much ambient lighting, or a window that might create a reflection or let too much light into the room, Plasma isn't optimal.

They are cheaper, but the cheaper one (in the same regard) are more prone to burn-in. LCD's are good to go right out of the box.

LED is the latest and greatest in LCD tv's because of its efficiency and ability to vastly improve contrast ratios because of how quickly it can become bright, and subsequently, response times, because of how quickly they can strobe.

I read SOMEWHERE, cant rememeber, that on average an LED tv costs $1000 more than a comparable CCFL LCD tv(aka regular LCD tv).

*CCFL is Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp, they all use this or some form of this. looks like regular fluorescent tubes.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16175
I've had Vizios for a few years...love em...never a problem and great pictures...and some repair tech told me that he seldom gets em in for repairs, and Vizio LCD screens are made by LG.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5644
Vizio panels are sourced by a Taiwanese company called AmTran, who buys panels from a variety of sources including LG, Sony/Samsung, and Panasonic. They are designed and built to be sold at a certain price point, which means that they use whatever materials they can purchase at any given time (and take advantage of market pricing changes) to build their sets. For this reason (and because the majors never sell their current technologies to OEM's), Vizio is, technology-wise, always 1-2 years behind the tech of the leaders.

But.... they are still decent televisions and they didn't climb to be the world leader in sales for nothing.

Pioneer recently announced that they are no longer going to make their own plasma panels, but will continue to build the sets using outsourced parts.

Gold Member

SoCal

Post Number: 3093
Hey guys I just wanted to thank you guys for the help. This passed weekend I bought a Samsung - 55" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LED-LCD HDTV. Model number UN55B7100. So far I am really happy with will have pix by the weekend.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11002
I'll fukking bet you are, thats just about the best TV you can get right now

Platinum Member

Fck your sht

Post Number: 10999
Samsung makes a sold LCD set. I own 2 of them, and the one that is over 3 years old STILL looks better than some current b.s. name brands. Just goes to show that you get what you pay for. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9575
Vizio definitely packs a mean bang for your buck, probably one of the best brands for your dollar.

Anyhow, forget about plasmas, the majority of them don't look remotely as good as LCDs and I don't care how long you spend adjusting them and playing with lighting.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12459
LED is very nice, although plasma does still have the superior PQ.
LCD-LED will be better in daylight/brightly lit rooms, whereas plasma will surpass it in light controlled settings.

FWIW, I'm actually buying the Samsung PN58C8000 in May when it comes out. I was going to buy the B860 Plasma but decided to hold off for the new models, since the B series has issues with buzzing, and smooth motion processing.

Also, Pioneer Kuro Elite has the best flat panel (plasma) on the market, but not everyone has 8 grand to spend on a TV.
Panasonic is embroiled in a class action suit due to issues with rising black levels on their sets at around 600 hours of use and beyond, but the 2010 models claim to have resolved this, and Samsung and Panasonic at their top end for plasma have second and third place (they are pretty equal) when it comes to flat panels for calibrated picture quality, color gamut, black levels, shadow detail, etc.

LCD is great and the gap is much narrowd between LCD/LED and Plasma, but Plasma unlike any LCD based technology still has the advantage of per-pixel brightness control (active pixel) whereas LCD still has to rely on the backlighting for it's luminescence.

If you do want more info on a flat panel, or ISF calibration, take a look over at AVS. That forum is full of ISF techs and very intelligent folks who've put a lot of time and research combined with decades of experience into that site.

I've been doing a lot of brushing up on all of this recently as well since I am in the process of upgrading my entire home theater for the first time since about 2001.

new AVR, new TV, new speakers, new remote, new BD player, new DVR...

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12460
>I read SOMEWHERE, cant rememeber, that on average an LED tv costs $1000 more than a comparable CCFL LCD tv(aka regular LCD tv).

not really the case now that LED is in it's second and third generations.
A 120Hz Samsung LED-LCD HDTV (not the super thin models that add a price premium) aren't that much more than a CCFL 1080P LCD HDTV. Look at bestbuy.com and compare a few. Also with the new models coming out now, the B series Samsungs can be had for a steal.

I just saw the PN58B860 58" ultrathin 8 series on sale on-line for $1600 even, free shipping, no tax. Retail on that set is about twice that on the nose.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22422
In my old azz view plasma is way out. LCD is in. We all talk about resolution and such but is it REALLY THAT noticeable between them???

It's not like we are comparing VHS to DVD quality, or broadcast to digital tv signals.

Isn't the difference as negligible as a fraction of a fraction?

Really. Is it worth spending the extra $$ to get what MOST don't see the difference in anyway?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16244
hell, they all look great to me...especially after a few beers, just like women...I'm easy...lol

I'm staying with my cheap azz 42 inch Vizio's LCD's for less than $599 ...they look great to me....and then I have more money for my beer, ballgames, babes, boats, and my Harleys... the more important things in life..

Gold Member

SoCal

Post Number: 3095
" I'm staying with my cheap azz 42 inch Vizio's LCD's for less than $599 ...they look great to me....and then I have more money for my beer, ballgames, babes, boats, and my Harleys "

Now i have a sweet tv but no cash for beer.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12466
OK, to avoid ruffling any feathers, allow me to clarify.

LCD looks terrific. So do all of the current generation flat panels, if you buy a decent one (meaning avoid the no name, low end crap that gives any type of TV a bad name of course)
Is the difference noticeable? yes, it can be, more so when using an ISF calibrated television in a light controlled room. Plasma will look better, with better detail in showy scenes and so forth just due to how the two technologies work. That said, LCD has the advantage in daylight use since the backlighting can overcome that more easily, allowing for better daylight contrast ratios. It's a trade off like anything else. In my case, I have a light controlled setting for my plasma, and it's ISF tuned, so I have an ideal setting for that type of display.

Use whatever looks best to you. Just don't slam plasma based on opinions formed using old generation technology becasue things like burn-in have been *mostly* eliminated, and lifespan is nearly that of LCD now. If you do a google search on-line, professional reviews, and AV forums like AVS where you will find factory and field professionals, will all concur that for PQ, plasma still has the edge, but again like I said, that gap is narrow these days, and plasmas only really win out if you are talking about their "best in the field" offerings.
an average, middle of the road plasma vs the same for an LED or LCD, it's anybody's game.

Heck, if all you want is the best out there, it's still a CRT projector.. but then you need complete light control and who wants to sit in complete darkness every time you turn on the TV?

Gold Member

SoCal

Post Number: 3096
I need some help choosing a receiver. My house was pre wired for a 5.1 system but I do have room to run a 7.1 if needed. My budget for the Receiver is around 100-350. I think this one would work well with my setup. Let me know what you guys think?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=250-513

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12473
Pioneer is good. Look at Onkyo and Yamaha as well.
Try using www.google.com (shopping link at the top) and www.bing.com (with cashback) for price comparisons. you can cut a LOT off the price by using those services and finding a good deal.

Also try sites like CL and Audiogon to see if you can find anything used that's maybe a year old model?

Personally I chose Onkyo when I bought my last AVR (2001) and again for my most recent AVR, but I had a bigger budget. Denon is good, but they are, in my opinion, overpriced and won't have as many features or offerings given a specified budget. Onkyo also tends to have a better amplifier/audio processor portion of the AVR than Denon by all accounts on forums, and in personal auditioning.

Platinum Member

Fck your sht

Post Number: 11010
my LCD tv is almost paid off

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12503
woohoo!

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22448
I have no LCD screen TV other than my PC screen so Woohoo to you both lol.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12515
I have an etch-a-sketch so nyeh!

Platinum Member

Fck your sht

Post Number: 11017

i'm just waiting for Smell-o-vision

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12532
I want a braille TV so I can watch Playboy channel HD

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3080
mmmm... high definition braille... gahhhhh

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes

Post Number: 11025
lmao

until your cat accidentally switches the channel to BBW p*rn...

Gold Member

SoCal

Post Number: 3097
Can you give help me choose one? here are my options.
1. http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/1653311903.html
2.http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=250-513

Gold Member

SoCal

Post Number: 3106
Here are some pix of how this project turn out.
This is the before.
Upload
I plan on upgrading my receiver in the next month.
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

SoCal

Post Number: 3107
I also installed a infinity ERS HV250 Dual 5" 2-Way In-Wall Speaker. Those thing sound great for the price I paid.
Upload
Upload
One last pic of the living room.
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9586
Get some blackout shades bro, I'd rage at the glare that comes from those windows =/

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1524
Wow. Came out really nice and clean.

But why in the corner? Are you using the wall that is on the right side for something else?

Gold Member

SoCal

Post Number: 3108
below is a quick layout of our living room. The room is 15ft by 24ft the plan is to push the sofa back 6ft to make room for two shiatsu massage recliner chair. I saw them at livingspaces and felt in love with them. By putting the tv close to the corner allows the best view at all angles. Upload

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1525
awww ok. Very nice!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us