Shutter Island, and anything else on my mind.

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

FL

Post Number: 10821
I am stoked to see this movie!!!!

But, i fear i won't have any time this weekend to go see it. I am slammed with hw over the next week and i have to meet with some people from my online class to finish up a group project. fucked...

Either way, i have been ordering a retarded amount of sh1t online in the past 2 weeks. Today alone 3 different trucks brought deliveries to my house.
1. was some Waxy Maize.
2. was another brand of protein i am trying. i like to try a lot of different brands, to have a better understanding of them all. lol
3. was a phone case for my Droid Eris, which is quite possibly the most amazing phone case i have ever seen. it should be for the $30 i paid for it. lol oh well.

Also, i want to discuss something controversial. These topics always end up in long threads and they stimulate my brain.

the topic open for discussion:

don't ask, don't tell being reviewed for change. waddya think of the new plan?

don't be so hasty to jump on this one though, i will warn you that people will get nasty on this one. religion vs. human rights......oooooooh

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22130
You start lol. What's your view?

Platinum Member

FL

Post Number: 10823
Personally, i am conflicted. I know what the bible says, but i know what my heart says. So, when your not sure, what do most people do? keep their mouth shut.

I don't think it is something they should be punished for if they announce they are g*y/lesb1an, but i also don't think it should be thrown around like the media does making it this big deal. Those soldiers have enough to worry about in the field and in PT. Whether a man is g*y doesn't affect how i would think he would react in the service, but i am wrong. I also think it is a distraction, which is why the don't ask, don't tell policy is in place.

The people in power thought that if we just ignore it, we don't have to deal with it, and that doesn't work. G*y or not, they are still human, and none of us are perfect, so why hold it against them if they can perform their job properly?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13454
Im going to sit a watch this for a bit and then I may give an opinion. Like you Josh I know what the bible says but the heart is also involved; better captioned for me would be "Gods love is involved."

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 16042
I'm retired 30 years military....I commanded and worked with many gays throughout my career...Gays in the military is nothing new or different...its been known and obvious for many many years to all in the military...the gays never bother the straights, and all hang together socially...they have never hid their sexu*al preference, they just never flaunt it... and their work ethics vary, just like the straights...so I never understood this "don't tell policy", cause we all knew anyways, who was ga*y...its not that hidden, and doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell who's who....the military isn't much different than civilian work and life, regarding sexu*al preference..U do yer jobs the same way in both, and ya socialize with who ya like..and go about yer own business.

Do ppl think that some ga*y is gonna get a woody and cornhole a straight in some foxhole?....or on a ship at sea?....or at 10,000 ft in the air?...WTF, get real....gays go about their business and don't bother the straights...they are no more distracting than a woman or some arrogant obnoxious bully type...

so personally , I really see no issue here about gays...I'm straight, had many ga*y co workers and subordinates, and never had a problem with any because of their sexu*al preferences..they were always fairly discreet...same with hetersexuals and officers and fraternization..ppl pretty much do not display any sexu*al "affections" while in the military while around other military...ya don't see many men and women holding hands or making out, nor do ya see gays openly doing their thing...those things are kept behind closed doors to not offend others, or violate any rules and regulations... I say allow gays in, but keep the currents regs about public displays, fraternizations etc in place..and quit making a big deal outta nothing that we've all already known about for many years..

Platinum Member

FL

Post Number: 10827
i agree with what your saying, but with congress, the issue at hand is when a g*y person openly admits they are g*y, it can be held against them whether in promotions or straight up prejudice. im not saying i have experienced this, bc i haven't, and im not saying that the same prejudice doesnt happen to women or minorities, but the main thing they are trying to stress here is equality in the military. i dunno tho, im not in the military, but i don't think anyone should be treated different for skin color, s*xual orientation, or sex in general.

however. . .

Those little words like religion and tradition just so happen to be in the heads of those with the most influence in the miilitary and congress and such. So there is a silent, yet powerful opposition to this reform.

You can't tell me that a guy 50 years ago, 30 years ago, wouldn't have gotten his azz beat for claiming to be g*y? I think so, and i also think it would have severely hindered his ability to be taken seriously or to have been promoted to a high ranking officer had he been openly g*y.

On a side note, i think it is completely ludicrous that i have to sensor such words as h*mo, h*mos*xual, s*xual, and g*y, but words like FUCKED are allowed to be used. wtf

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5614
I don't care what they do. It's unbelievable to me that in this day and age there are certain people (and groups) who feel that they have the right to tell gay people what they can and can't do, such as get married or join the military.

We are all here trying to do the best we can and have a happy life -- we all face hardships and tragedy -- so it is so completely ludicrous that the gender of who you choose to place your cock or tongue into, should matter to anyone or anything... ever.

If a guy wants to marry a guy and spend his life in a blissful poo-jabbing union... great! And if that same man wants to risk possibly getting shot in the face by a 14 year old brainwashed insurgent in Afghanistan... fantastic!

Live and let live.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22143

quote:

I think so, and i also think it would have severely hindered his ability to be taken seriously or to have been promoted to a high ranking officer had he been openly g*y.

How about complete erasure of any? 50 or 30 years ago the military was a much more hands on and physical environment. Meaning if you didn't like John Wayne or the likes of manly men like him then you weren't going to lead anyone anywhere. You also had to hold the respect of your fellow soldiers and officers. You had to prove yourself in the line of fire just like you command those beneath you to gallop into. Socially it was much more primitive and fragile at the same time. Just as women and blacks struggled to gain respect in the ranks through the years it was also just as easy to step on someone's toes and get your azz shitcanned.

Today h0mosexuals are stepping out all over, and paying the price for it too. I'm not talking just about celebrities but politicians, sport figures, musicians and more. When it comes to a position of power or authority it's a dangerous request to ask or expect the people to respect and honor their private lifestyle which deviates from the masses. After all they know the ring they're stepping into and should expect what's coming their way. I chuckle every time I hear or read about a politician or celebrity stating they just want privacy. Guess what? You signed off on it before you came aboard, deal with it.

Not totally unrelated but I believe it's also why a female president isn't the smartest move. Hold on there ladies, let me explain lol. When you lead this country you hold the seat which every other country looks to as the world's super power. As sexist as it sounds it's a masculine role. By all means a woman can possess the same intellect and razor sharp decision making qualities a man can in the best interest of the country when needed at a moment's notice. However, and there's always a however, bottom line is the majority of the country and world EXPECT to see a man in the chair. In the Middle East where they are still decades if not centuries behind in the s@xual revolution would view it as a weakness making our country even more prone to attack. Not saying I would never vote for a woman prez, I simply don't think enough will, given an equal playing field. Not yet.

Don't ask, don't tell? I guess it depends on who you ask. To me those who don't serve shouldn't have a vote. It's not their life on the line. It's the one serving or the ones who will be serving along side them. After all they are your family and will depend on you possibly for their very lives. Is it a personal matter? Damn right it is. Yet you also eat, sleep, sh1t, jerk off, train and fight alongside each other for months and years at a stretch. Would you lie to your family? Some would say you only lie about things you're ashamed of.

I keep picturing the movie Full Metal Jacket. What would he say lol????

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16045
well I do have an issue with ga*y marriages...that I don't condone for various reasons....it just ain't right!...I have no problem with gays in the military or the workplace, but in marriage its another ball game...cause now "marriage" is both a legal and religious bond of 2 people ...legal ga*y marriages impact all of us thru retirements, pensions, survivor benefits, heath insurance, life insurance, family leave act, etc...and being a catholic, I don't accept marriages of the same sex, its just not "normal" to me...if the gays wasnt to cornhole each other etc, fine and dandy, just don't impact me and millions of other hetersexuals...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16046
BTW...30 years ago, there were many gays in the military...it was no biggie and accepted..I knew many ga*y dudes when I was in Nam (2 tours)....they were discreet, but again we all knew and use to bust their balls, kidding around all the time, just like we did with straight dudes...they could fight and use sense, as well as any others.... and it really wasn't an issue even 30-35 years ago...there was never any ga*y bashing or beatings...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16047
Actually I meant 40 years ago...1969- 1970-1971 etc...MORE than 30 years ago..

Platinum Member

FL

Post Number: 10832
not in your one account, but there have been, no? and just because your unit didn't have any g*y-haters in it doesn't mean 99.7 percent of the rest of the military didn't either.

i'm not trying to split hairs here, LK, believe me, i wouldn't waste yours or my time, i am simply stating that if these things weren't an issue (prejudice, hate, inequality) than this wouldn't be an issue right now.

women are allowed to vote and own property, blacks are allowed to vote and own property, g*y men and women should be able to join the military with NO fear about being g*y, its the evolution of society.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22146
But what if you were a g*y black woman trying to vote and buy property, while joining the military?

Platinum Member

FL

Post Number: 10833
then your FUCKED™

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5616
^^^^ Hey now... don't be using my , I have that

And also, KFC is the answer to everything Paul.

Upload

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22147

Platinum Member

FL

Post Number: 10834
lol. have you ever noticed talk show hosts usually never do anything wrong???

its bc they see all the fools who screw up and they don't want to be made one like all the people they make into fools on their show everyday.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16048
Actually 40 years ago in the military...the issues were racial....blacks and whites...not about ga*ys!...but we all had a common interest...music and weed....and most of us learned to get along well...

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5619
Music and weed are still my interests.

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1424
LOL

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22148

quote:

lol. have you ever noticed talk show hosts usually never do anything wrong???

Actually it's all about the writers and editing. When a talk show host gets schooled during the taping of a show it never gets aired, it gets cut. It's their show, what do you expect?

And I suppose you haven't watched Letterman the past couple of years? Or seen a Morton Downey Jr. show lol?

Morton was a riot!

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1429
Soooo.....lets talk about Shutter Island. Anyone else seen it yet?

I seen it last night. There are a ton of mixed reviews about this movie. I personally really like it. Its the type of movie that fcks with your head and makes you think a lot (or so it did for me). Many twists in the storyline. Superb acting as expected.

For those who like mystery/suspense sorta movies, its a pretty good flick. But if you don't like it - don't blame me lol

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22186
Nice. On my list.

Platinum Member

FL

Post Number: 10852
i dont understand why the reviews are so mixed. (i havent read any)

even my friend said that it was good, but its not what he expected. wtf?

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1432
its ALL about the ending (which is probably the case in any movie).

I went with a group of 5 friends to see the movie. Only 2 of us liked it while the others said it was a fail. Their 'version' of the ending wasn't quite like I seen it. I dunno........i wanna watch it again tho..jus to get some things straight.

just my .02

Gonna wait for the DVD (or a decent copy of a cam).

Platinum Member

FL

Post Number: 10856
you've got me baffled.

it must be one of those movies where the slightest detail can spoil the entire plot.

because nobody's talking about it. lol

just whether they liked it or not.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1433
watch it :-)

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4270
I'm going to see it tonight. I look forward to joining the discussion :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11825
You and Mud can jerk each other off while you talk about it.

I think I took that a touch far lmao.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5626
LOL Yanks...

I am sadly behind the times movie-wise because of my schedule and also because I rarely go to the theater due to the fact that I pretty much hate everyone I don't know -- and have many issues with watching a movie with douchebags etc. I usually just go to industry screenings where I at least know some of the crowd.

So I basically watch them when they come on the 64 movie channels I have. Anyways, I saw Pineapple Express the other night and thought it was hilarious. Rogen and Franco were perfect. And the Rogen, Goldberg, Apatow screenplay was really well done.

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13464
I just talked to my friend Jason he said he liked the movie. Ill have to see it.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4274

quote:

have many issues with watching a movie with douchebags

AMEN. It's unbelievable to me. Almost every time I go to the movies there is an idiot or two. People in general are just inconsiderate. I want to scream at people, "do you not realize that the warning before the film to turn your phone off and shut the f@#$ up is because of YOU".

Tonight at Shutter Island, a group of teenagers came in and sat a couple seats down from me just as the movie was starting. The kid nearest to me wasn't even watching the movie because he was so consumed with text messaging. In a darkened theater, the light of someones cell phone opening and closing is actually very disruptive. I told him nicely to put it away or leave. Mind you, I didn't ask him, I told him. He complied.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4277
By the way... I didn't like Shutter Island. I can't really get into why without spoiling things though. Maybe we need a separate thread for spoilers lol. I was very disappointed. Been looking forward to this flick for a long time.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5632
The next post will be a white box so just change the spoiler text to white and then make a *notice* to mouse over if you want to read it.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4279
When I do that and hit preview it still shows the text in black Mr. Warren. What say you!?

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1436
let me try

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1437
*Spoiler Alert* alsdifaefnasd;lfiaenfoaiselnasielfnaf

End of alert

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1438
highlight after spoiler alert -

works for me

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4280
I'm highlighting and nothing comes up.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1439
highlight after *Spoiler Alert * 3rd post above this one.

The one that looks like

*Spoiler Alert*

End of alert

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22197
Works for me when you swipe the text.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4281
you mean where it says "alsdifaefnasd;lfiaenfoaiselnasielfnaf"?

It shows it as normal text without me highlighting anything.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11826
^^This

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1444
wth? all of that is hidden for me.....lol

strange

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13507
well I went to see shutter island and id say its ok.... it reminds me of the movie beautiful mind

Platinum Member

FL

Post Number: 10858
i need to go see this movie.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us