Google Chrome

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 3019
Anybody use it? I just started trying it out so I don't have much of an opinion so far. Still curious if it's as stable/secure as Firefox.

on a side note, ads have been getting ridiculous not only on this site but many other recently. starting to piss me off...

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 4247
It's a good browser. Pretty fast too.

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10557
i was also wondering about Google chrome. I haven't DL'd it yet so i don't have even a resemblance of an opinion. lol

but, i love Firefox and i have gotten many people to switch to it from IE. Google has always been known to make solid apps in my opinion so i am curious as to what kinds of features it has.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5515
I have used Chrome once in awhile for the last year or so. It's very quick and streamlined, not many features at all. The "search and surf in one box" feature, and the tab configuration are both annoying.

Opera is still by far the best browser.

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10558
you say opera is the best? i will have to give it a try. btw, what makes you say that it is the best, like if you had to compare it to firefox. Thanks BW

Gold Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 4249
Oh jeeeezz

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3368
Opera ftw.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 3245
If it doesn't have "noscript" as an addon, it isn't a browser.

firefox ftw

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4096
Opera sucks, firefox is wayyyy better.

I don't have anything to back that up with, and I've never actually tried Opera. I just wanted to get Wrad Barren fired up.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5518
Nick you can do basically the same thing by just adding a master ad list .ini file. They are all over the net. Or you could just add the line: "http://*..com/*.js to block all scripts. You can also handle ads on the fly and assign blocking. Just because Opera isn't open sourced and doesn't have third party add-ons it isn't a browser? Puhlease.

Opera beats FF in many ways.

1. Quicker response and better designed GUI.

2. Faster rendering and page loads.

3. Industry first features like 'save session', 'reopen tabs', 'paste and go', 'copy to note', 'go to URL', widgets, Unite, Dragonfly, and Link etc. In the past 7-8 years, both IE and FF have stolen features and shortcuts that Opera invented.

4. Easier to customize and better designed toolbar. Don't like something up there? Remove it with a click. Want something extra up there like links you use alot? Drag them over from the address bar. You can also make it thin and sleek by removing bars that you don't use. This gives you far more actual screen area.

5. Since Opera is not open-sourced (and why it doesn't have third party add-ons) it is far more secure to exploits than FF and IE.

6. Opera invented and perfected the tab system. The response and stability is second to none.

7. Unmatched Linux support and compatibilty. Machines running Opera on Linux are known as the most stable on earth.

8. Opera uses less memory, and processes what it uses more efficiently. The latest FF 3.5 is being called "bloated, slower, buggier and more unstable".

All of the above statements are facts. Feel free to Google any of it. Don't forget that when I was writing my computer column for Yahoo over 5 years... I discovered and recommended Firefox to everyone. I was one of the first to tell everyone to use it -- and they did. But then around 2002 I found Opera. FF has been trying (and failing) to catch up ever since.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21726
To me IE is a dead stick. FF was the next step up. Tried it, got used to it and it too eventually got shitcanned (for the most part) by me. It just became a ram hog. Some apps were sucking a gig all by themselves while other browsers drew half as much. Opera is again the next step but to me needs to be more user friendly. Using Google chrome now and so far, other than being almost featureless, hasn't failed me yet.

Yet.

I just want a browser that supports all file formats, has an easy to use pop up/ad blocker, won't suck my pc's resources dry, doesn't have to be updated daily and last but not least won't sell out once it becomes popular.

Yeah I know. Xmas was a few days ago.........

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3442
Ive always used firefox and loved it. Guess Ill have to try opera now to compare

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10559
hahaha. i aska simple question that turns into an flame war. (yet a very informative flame war) :-)

my most important thing is that it erases EVERYTHING except my passwords when i am done with the browser. i dont want cookies and other sh1t i don't even know about clogging up my computer. plus, if you look at pron.....you get a little paranoid. lmao

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10560
well i dl'ed it and everything was working fine until i tried to log into Blackboard to access my online classes, and it said that it was an unsupported browser. :-(

i need to be able to access my school, and i don't have any hangups with firefox or IE. so what gives?

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10561
-------------------
Your browser is unsupported for use with Blackboard Learning System - CE License. See the Browser Tuneup Page (http://www.webct.com/exchange/viewpage?name=exchange_browser_tuneup) for an up-to-date list of validated browsers.
-------------------

this is the window that pops up when i click on the link to take me to the page to log in.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21729
If you DL pron you need 3 ghosts. One click wipes out all evidence.

Not that I have any knowledge of such things.

Gold Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 4251

quote:

well i dl'ed it and everything was working fine until i tried to log into Blackboard to access my online classes, and it said that it was an unsupported browser

Doesn't work with my blackboard for school either... also doesn't load TV show descriptions on the tvguide website.

quote:

Faster rendering and page loads.

I use both browsers daily and both of them load pages fast and I can't really notice that much of a difference in speed. With Opera though alot of times i see plain text first and then everything goes to normal like it should... might be an internet thing but it never happens with FF.

quote:

Easier to customize and better designed toolbar. Don't like something up there? Remove it with a click. Want something extra up there like links you use alot? Drag them over from the address bar. You can also make it thin and sleek by removing bars that you don't use. This gives you far more actual screen area.

Yeah, FF does this too.

Also I don't like how it doesn't scale images down to fit in the window if they are too big, you have to scroll across to see everything...very annoying...

Click on this pic below with opera and you will see:

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/2830/1920x1200yr3.jpg

Now click on it again using FF and you can see it scales it down so you can see the whole thing and all you have to do is click on it to view full size.... this even works on IE

But if an update would fix things like that then I would probably find myself using it alot more.

Now, I like both browsers and I use both of them daily and just choose whatever one I feel like using at the time. I love Operas mouse commands by just holding the right click button down swiping it to the left and letting go making it go to the previous page, and going up and down to reload, voice commands, text reading, auto fill, etc...very cool features. You should try and use both browsers instead of just saying one is trash and the other is gold... I dunno JMHO

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 3247

quote:

Nick you can do basically the same thing by just adding a master ad list .ini file. They are all over the net. Or you could just add the line: "http://*..com/*.js to block all scripts. You can also handle ads on the fly and assign blocking. Just because Opera isn't open sourced and doesn't have third party add-ons it isn't a browser? Puhlease.

Orr...I can let noscript automatically block the scripts I haven't allowed whenever I am freely surfing the web.

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10562
i dl'ed google chrome and i love it. very streamlined and still does everything FF did as far as what i needed it to do. i still haven't given up FF, b/c it was my first () and i am so familiar with it, but i really like the even cleaner look of chrome and that it has incognito browsing just like FF has private browsing.

3ghosts? is that a program? i will have google this immediately...

i used to have Windows Washer (AMAZING) but they haven't developed a version for Windows 7 (got a new comp for x-mas) and i am jones-ing to clean all of that sh1t off of my computer that it needlessly stores. like all the windows temp files and directory and stuff.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21735
My bad Muddy. It's been awhile since I used it. It's actually called 12 ghosts. Here:

http://www.12ghosts.com/

Once you set up your preferences all it takes is one click. Even has a backup feature.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 4273
I used Opera a long time ago. Brad helped me set it up very nicely and it was very quick. Then all of a sudden it didn't work so well, and I haven't used it since. I think I'm gonna DL it again and give it another shot cause FF has become slow to me. It freezes regularly on me amongst other problems.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21741
Having troubles with Facebook using Opera. Installed updates and all. Not sure what the problem is but with 4-5 browsers on hand it's easy to dump one for the other.

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10565
i installed CCCleaner and it is working great! i will have to try 12ghosts though. :-)

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10569
Chrome ftw...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us