Archive through July 16, 2008

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 7499
Who's watching it tonight? It's on Spike so you don't have to worry about paying :-) I'm stoked about the Houston Alexander fight but I'm really bummed that they may not air the Clay Guida fight wtf is that about? The guy puts on an insane show! He deserves more light.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3506
Its on April 2nd mayne. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 7500
Wow, I'm on drugs lol. Where the hell did I come up with the 22nd?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3618
You were acting kind of strange last night too. Lay off the smack Robbie Rocker

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3509
Yeah man, Houston is sick wit it.

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The poster formerly kn...

Post Number: 2995
haha i started to freak out reading that first post...thought i missed it for a second there!!!

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 637
i thought there was a UFC fight this weekend also, i thought it was in England...searched spike for it and seen nothing. just figured it was free on spike cuz of the time diff. and that they coudn't offer it live.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3040
Wednesday's event should be cool, it is free afterall.

But May 24th my friends, now THAT features a fu<king F.I.G.H.T.

SHERK V. PENN

Gold Member

Post Number: 7633
Yea but May 24th feels like it's light years away. :-( I hope Penn beats Sherk because he's a steroid abusing douche bag but I know that won't be easy. For those saying "Sherk didn't know there was steroids in that supplement..." c'mon...the guy was consuming something ridiculous like 30 servings a day of that "supplement" from Xyience. It's like smoking cigarettes with 10percent marijuan@ in them, you know what's going on but you can say you didn't know what was in the cigarettes. "Sean Sherk, you're dead."-BJ Penn

Haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7660
I'm actually a lot more excited to see the Matt Serra Vs. George St.Pierre fight on April 19th. Which is two weeks away from this coming Saturday I believe. I hope GSP tears Serra a new one because he's a cocky, arrogant, pr1ck.

As far as tomorrow night's fights go, I'm just looking forward to the Houson Alexander Vs. Irvin and the Clay Guida Vs. Random guy fights. I don't care much for the other super hyped fights.

On another note TITO ORTIZ has a fight coming up soon and to my knowledge it's his last fight according to his contract which he will probably get destroyed in considering his opponent. I think they're using him as food. What I think would be hilarious is if Tito comes out and lays on the floor and taps out before a single fist gets thrown because he hates Dana White and the UFC these days, that would be awesome.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3041
St. Pierre/Serra should be crazy too!!! How can you say that about Serra though? You really think he comes off as cocky and arogant?

If I could only watch one or the other i'd take the Penn/Sherk fight ALL DAY. B.J. Penn is my favorite fighter, and IMO may be the greatest of all time when it's all said and done. And yet, he's essentially the challenger in this fight. Maybe not technically, but you know what i mean.

BTW I love that you hate Sherk for being a steroid abuser, but you can't wait for the Alexander vs. Irvin fight. If you were gonna paint a picture of a couple athletes who look like they sure as hell have taken some performance enhancers, it'd be those too LOL

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3545
Tonight! Its gonna be a good night...

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 19907
cool ima watch it tonight. i hate violence but you guys are saying its fun so ima try it out.

brad you gonna be on aim tonight? if so ima be on. if not then i won't.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3643
Yeah there is a good chance I will be there tonight around 8 or so. How did you turn Diamond?

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 19910
cool. i don't know why i am a diamond member.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4172
hey guys isnt florian fighting soon and lauzon also or is that tonight i served florian at the restraunt i worked at he isnt that big of a guy at all lol but i would not want to fukc with him at all lol. looks crazy

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3547
Yep thats tonight. I remember you saying that you served him a while back.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3043
"hey guys isnt florian fighting soon and lauzon also or is that tonight i served florian at the restraunt i worked at he isnt that big of a guy at all lol but i would not want to fukc with him at all lol. looks crazy"

That's cool that you met him, he seems like he'd be a nice guy. Was he?

You definitely wouldn't wanna fu<k with Kenflo, he's a bad dude.

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 19924
what's the name of the dude that is married to an adult film star? also what is the name of the adult film star?

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3647
Tito Ortiz/Jenna Jameson, but they aren't married.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7688
"St. Pierre/Serra should be crazy too!!! How can you say that about Serra though? You really think he comes off as cocky and arogant?

If I could only watch one or the other i'd take the Penn/Sherk fight ALL DAY. B.J. Penn is my favorite fighter, and IMO may be the greatest of all time when it's all said and done. And yet, he's essentially the challenger in this fight. Maybe not technically, but you know what i mean.

BTW I love that you hate Sherk for being a steroid abuser, but you can't wait for the Alexander vs. Irvin fight. If you were gonna paint a picture of a couple athletes who look like they sure as hell have taken some performance enhancers, it'd be those too LOL"

They're all questionable but SHERK and Hermes Franca got busted for using steroids. The funny thing is Franca admitted to it and Sherk denied it.

""hey guys isnt florian fighting soon and lauzon also or is that tonight i served florian at the restraunt i worked at he isnt that big of a guy at all lol but i would not want to fukc with him at all lol. looks crazy"

How big do you think 155 pounders are? Lol...

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3549
So much for your fight of the night Rob. LOL....maybe KO of the night. Crap that was fast.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3551
Lauzon vs, Florian is a damn good fight so far after round 1.

Joe needs to step it up a little though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 7698
"So much for your fight of the night Rob. LOL....maybe KO of the night. Crap that was fast."

Haha, it was the fight of the night ^_^ I don't think Houston has much of a chin after seeing this fight but then again I'm not sure if I've ever been hit as hard as he has been. He now has two losses by K.O. so it's not looking too good.

Lauzon got owned pretty bad in stand up and on the ground. At least he went out while defending himself but there was no way for him to get out of that from the looks of it. Sometimes you can escape a full mount by giving up your back and flipping or spinning but it's dangerous to do because there's always a risk of your opponent getting the hooks in and submitting you but you have got to do something in that situation. Defense doesn't win the game in that type of situation but Lauzon's great either way.

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 19953
that dude hammil is a beast.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 7700
The Hammer is a pretty decent fighter and ALMOST everyone knows that he's really undefeated. The loss on his record is COMPLETE and TOTAL BULLSH1T. Anyone that watched that fight knows he beat the sh1t out of that loser Michael Bisping but the judges gave the win to Bisping because he's from England(?) and the fight was in England(?). Hammil is unbeaten to this day if you ask anyone that watched that fight. It really pisses me off. I don't think Hammil has what it takes to beat the other light-heavyweights though.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3555
Yeah man, Lauzon couldnt do a thing from that position.

And I really like Hammil. Rob is right, he is 1-1*. He beat Bisping in England no matter how the judges scored that.

Diamond Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 19956
yeah they were talking about that during his fight yesterday.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3049
"The Hammer is a pretty decent fighter and ALMOST everyone knows that he's really undefeated. The loss on his record is COMPLETE and TOTAL BULLSH1T. Anyone that watched that fight knows he beat the sh1t out of that loser Michael Bisping but the judges gave the win to Bisping because he's from England(?) and the fight was in England(?). Hammil is unbeaten to this day if you ask anyone that watched that fight. It really pisses me off. I don't think Hammil has what it takes to beat the other light-heavyweights though."

I agree 100% with every word of that. That decision was a complete joke.

"Haha, it was the fight of the night ^_^ I don't think Houston has much of a chin after seeing this fight but then again I'm not sure if I've ever been hit as hard as he has been. He now has two losses by K.O. so it's not looking too good."

Personally i'm not much of a believer in the strong/weak chin stuff. I mean it isn't a scientific or predictable thing to me. So many times you'll see a fighter get absolutely hammered right on the jaw repeatedly, and never go out. And then those exact same fighters occasionally will get knocked out COLD by a little glancing blow. In that sense i think knockouts are kind of mysterious/unpredictable. But the Irvin/Alexander fight sucked to me. I don't really care to see a guy get KO'd on the first punch......I wanna see them throw bombs for at least a minute or two. Houston's career is ALREADY on thin ice IMO. If you're a bang it out kinda guy, and you get dominated the way he did in his 1 fight that wasn't just stand-up, you sure as hell better beat the guys who DO stand up with you.

I thought the Lauzon/Florian fight was pretty cool. I DO think that Lauzon was right about being stronger and more athletic than Florian. I thought J-Lau got the best of it in the clinch with take downs and such. I'm with Rob though, Lauzon was mounted for SO long and the fight was so close to being stopped i was wondering why he wasn't giving up his back to escape, I mean a guy who trains with B.J. Penn sure as hell should know how to defend a choke. But hey maybe him not rolling over is just a credit to how good Kenny is at controlling the position.

Platinum Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3568
Nate Diaz got a beautiful triangle on Kurt Pellegrino.

Platinum Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3050
Nate Diaz has a WORLD of potential. I can't say i've seen him beat any top tier opponents quite yet, but Pelligrino was a step up for him, and he handled it beautifully. Nate's triangles are slick as fu<k, he seems to have a way of surprising opponents with them, even against skilled jiu-jitsu fighters.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 7747
Yea but you guys have to remember the huge mistake the Pelligrino made by giving that submission to Diaz. Slamming guys like that is always dangerous because you run the risk of getting submitted and slams may be exciting to the crowd but they're not really too effective unless you can K.O. your opponent with a slam on the back of someone's head but most guys are smart enough to take the slam on their shoulders or back. I've submitted my friend who's 6' 5'' 265 pounds tons of times because he goes for a slam using his brute strength and then ends up tapping. Slams can be effective but they can be dangerous as well depending on your opponent's submission skill.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 7823
Frank Shamrock finally did a post fight interview. Here it is:

http://www.mmatko.com/frank-shamrock-post-cung-le-fight-interview-broken-arm-tal k/

I'm aware this isn't UFC but eh, it's MMA and Frank was in the UFC so it's on topic lol.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 7906
04/19/2008 7pm PT / 10pm ET
Event Type: PPV Live

Description: UFC® comes to Canada for the first time ever on Saturday, April 19th! One year ago, Matt "The Terror" Serra shocked the world by defeating Georges "Rush" St-Pierre for the UFC® Welterweight Championship. Now, after defeating Matt Hughes in December, St-Pierre enters the Octagon as the Interim Welterweight Champion to face the man who took his title - this time, in his home province of Quebec. Can Serra beat St-Pierre for a second time? The undisputed king of the 170-pound weight class will be determined at UFC® 83: SERRA VS. ST-PIERRE 2 - Saturday, April 19, live on Pay-Per-View from Montreal, Quebec.

Centre Bell doors open to the public at 7pm ET
First bout will begin at 8pm ET
On television at 10pm ET / 7pm PT

Alright, guys I want to hear everybody's opinions on the upcoming event. Personally I want to see Matt Serra destroyed because he's such an a sshole and I think GSP is the better fighter all around but eh...anything can happen. Rich Franklin will also be fighting but why? So he can be #1 contender and get his nose broken for a 3rd time by Anderson Silva? Jason Macdonald is also fighting even though he's not really good compared to the other fighters but his role in the UFC is to attract the Canadian fan base so that's why he's kept around and gets a fight every time Rich Franklin does. I'm hoping that cocky pr1ck Michael Bisping get his a-ss kicked but I'm not familiar with his opponent so I won't try to call it. Either way I'm really excited about and have been waiting for this event for a looong time.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3075
lol why does everyone hate Serra so much all of a sudden?

This fight card is pretty boring to me actually. IMO they're trying really hard to boost the 185lb division, because the fans basically know it's weak outside of Silva. Franklin gets a gimme vs. Lutter, Bisping gets a gimme against Charles McCarthy (i'm pretty sure i could beat this kid lol), Nate Quarry > Kalib Starnes, and Jason McDonald should beat "el dirte".

gsp SHOULD beat Matt Serra but who knows, I guess the fight has potential if gsp chokes.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 7909
"lol why does everyone hate Serra so much all of a sudden? "

All of the sudden? If you watched all his interviews you'd understand. The guy talks so much sh1t it's unreal. He's cocky as hell and thinks he's unstoppable. Like you said though GSP SHOULD beat Matt Serra and that's what I'm hoping for.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3076
"If you watched all his interviews you'd understand."

Can you link something for me? Seriously I wanna know what all the fuss is about. And isn't that the way all fighters are?

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 7924
I might be able to find the videos but you have to watch the weigh-ins and the pre-fight conferences and post-fight interviews to see what I'm talking about. They'd be really hard to find on UFC's website since it's been so long but you can probably watch a pre-fight interview already with Matt Serra and I'll bet he's talking junk. "isn't that the way all fighter are?" No way man, look at how humble GSP is and Anderson Silva, you don't see those guys every talking sh1t.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3587
OMG!! I am LMAO at Nate Quarry. That was some ultra Pwnage.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3104
Unfortunately I didn't get to watch this event for various reasons. I did however read about the fights. Fights went pretty much like i predicted.

I read about the Quarry v. Starnes fight dude. Starnes already had a reputation as kind of a pu$sy and it sounds like he confirmed that. Judges scored the bout 30-27, 30-26, and 30-24.... lol 3 10-8 rounds from one judge!!!

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 7949
"OMG!! I am LMAO at Nate Quarry. That was some ultra Pwnage."

That was definitely funny. At least he made a sh1t match into a memorable one by what he did haha. GSP DOMINATED Serra horribly, Serra had absolutely nothing for GSP, it was great.

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 854
lmao GSP told the audience to not do anything to serra when he leaves lmao...great fight imo...serra aint got sh!t on GSP..GSP FTW!

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3595
Here's the end of the Quarry vs. Starnes fight. Keep in mind Starnes was running away (like he is in this vid) from Quarry the WHOLE fight.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3114
ROFL!!!

So Kenflo was the guest commentator? That interview is epic. I kept expecting Quarry to say something like "yeah those kicks to the vag!na really took the wind out of his sails", but Quarry is too nice a guy.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3116
Monday, Apr 21, 2008 2:20 pm EDT
UFC cuts Starnes after disgraceful performance

By Kevin Iole

It was a great night for mixed martial arts on Saturday in Montreal, as an enthusiastic sellout crowd of 21,390 packed the Bell Centre to watch hometown hero Georges St. Pierre reclaim the UFC welterweight title from Matt Serra at UFC 83.

It wasn't such a good night, though, for Kalib Starnes, who spent most of the evening running from Nate Quarry in their middleweight bout. A native of Surrey, B.C., Starnes was booed heavily by the Canadian crowd that had been boisterous in its support of all the other Canadians on the card.

After losing a unanimous decision on scores of 30-26, 30-27, and an unheard-of 30-24, Starnes received even worse news: He was cut from his contract by UFC president Dana White.

"He just doesn't belong in the UFC and after his performance the other night, he should consider a new line of work," White said Monday.

Quarry pressed the action the entire fight as Starnes simply circled and refused to engage. Late in the third round, Quarry pretended to run like he was a track star in trying to find a way to get Starnes to fight.

After the bout, members of Quarry's corner were complaining to Starnes about his lack of activity. Starnes shouted an expletive at one member of Quarry's team, called him a derogatory term for hom0sexuals and challenged him to a fight.

Starnes couldn't be reached for comment about his performance, but Quarry expressed disappointment with Starnes' lack of effort.

A one-time contestant on The Ultimate Fighter, Starnes was 8-2 going into the bout and had had quality victories over Chris Leben and Jason MacDonald.

"I think if you're fighting in the UFC, you've got to come to fight," Quarry told UFC.com in a post-fight interview. "I would much rather get knocked out than lose a decision running backwards. No disrespect to Kalib. I know the stress really gets to you. A lot of guys, they focus on not wanting to lose instead of wanting to win. I didn't mean to disrespect him in any way. I just got frustrated because you can't fight when somebody's moving backward that fast."

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 7954
Lol. When that fight was over I was like "Starnes is gone from the UFC." lol and I guess I was right, BIG TIME. Hahaha, what a douche bag.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3599
Ken Flo vs. Huerta at UFC 87, Aug. 9th. Oh yeah! This is gonna be a sick fight. Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Coleman is the same night.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3161
Key matches in a crucial period

By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports May 5, 3:33 pm EDT

Yahoo! Sports

Mixed martial arts is a business in which people throw around superlatives like they are nothing. There seems to be a steady stream of "biggest" this and "most important" that.

But the next few months will be pivotal for the sport, with shows -- offering plenty of interesting match-ups -- that will determine the industry's long-term landscape.

From a business standpoint, the May 31 Elite XC show from Newark, N.J., because it airs as a prime-time live CBS special, could be the most important show of the year. Its success or failure will have huge effects on the industry as a whole.

A successful show would instantly make Elite XC significant competition for UFC and, from a business standpoint, cause last year's $27 million in losses to be viewed simply as expected startup losses. A failure would make survival a significant issue while leaving a black mark on the sport as viable network prime-time programming.

From a pure sport standpoint, the highest profile featherweight and bantamweight fights in U.S. history both take place the next day, on a WEC show in Sacramento.

And what have to be considered the two biggest MMA promotions in the world, UFC and the Japanese-based Dream promotion, have high-profile events over the next few weeks.

In addition, Fedor Emelianenko, the best heavyweight in the sport's history, will face his first truly significant competition in quite some time this summer, against former two-time UFC champion Tim Sylvia.
ADVERTISEMENT

A look at some of the more intriguing upcoming matches and their potential ramifications:

May 11 -- Dream lightweight tournament: Dream, the MMA division of the Japanese powerhouse Fighting Entertainment Groups (FEG), has its third show on Sunday. It's the first that airs live in the U.S., on HDNet at 3 a.m. Eastern late Saturday/early Sunday from Saitama, Japan. A replay will air at 4 p.m. ET Monday.

The lightweight tournament that began March 15 has three quarterfinal matches scheduled: Caol Uno (24-10-4) vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida (16-3-1), Eddie Alvarez (13-1) vs. Joachim Hansen (17-6-1) and Tatsuya Kawajiri (21-4-2) vs. Luiz "Buscape" Firmino (12-3). The fourth, Shinya Aoki (15-2) vs. Katsuhiko Nagata (4-2), has been moved to June 15 to give Aoki recovery time from injuries sustained in his April 29 win over tournament favorite Gesias Calvancanti.

The lone American, Philadelphia's Alvarez, looks to be a significant force with his strong punching power. Stylistically, Alvarez vs. Hansen has the potential for fireworks.

May 24 -- B.J. Penn (12-4-1) vs. Sean Sherk (36-2-1): The main event for UFC 84 in Las Vegas is the UFC's biggest lightweight title match in years, if not ever. The Hawaiian-born and bred Penn, who won the title on Jan. 19 with a one-sided squash of Joe Stevenson, is considered to have all-around skills equal to virtually anyone in the sport.

Sherk had been champion, but was stripped after testing positive for the steroid Nandrolone in his July 7 win over Hermes Franca. Sherk has argued his innocence. Penn has been openly skeptical, adding a grudge element to the fight. The key to look out for is Penn always comes out looking unbeatable early, but historically becomes more human as time goes on. Sherk's best weapon is his conditioning, which is more important in a five-round title fight.

May 24 -- Keith Jardine (13-4-1) vs. Wanderlei Silva (31-8-1): On paper, this looks like a crowd-pleasing fight with two guys who are going to aggressively try to match stand-up skills in a key light heavyweight division fight. Silva, 31, is a legitimate legend of the sport, as his five-plus-year reign as Pride 205-lb. champion is the longest major title run in history. But he's coming off three straight losses, to Mirko Cro Cop, Dan Henderson and Chuck Liddell. Jardine, with wins over both Liddell and Forrest Griffin, will answer the question of whether Silva's best days are behind him. The winner has a good shot of facing the injured Liddell in his next match.

May 24 -- Tito Ortiz (15-5-1) vs. Lyoto Machida (12-0): While the biggest match of Machida's career, it's almost secondary to the probable final act in the Ortiz vs. UFC president Dana White feud. Ortiz has made it clear he's leaving UFC after this match, and Machida's role is to send him out a loser. Can Ortiz foil his boss on his last night, and if he does, what will he say in his final UFC interview? Can Machida win over the U.S. public with a win over one of the most famous fighters in the game and put himself in line for a title shot?

May 31 -- Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (2-0) vs. James Thompson (16-8): It's historical because there can only be one first live prime-time major network card in history, and this is the show's main event. CBS and Elite XC are hoping Slice's street brawler charisma will mean ratings and mainstream stardom. Slice can punch, but his ground game is untested. Thompson doesn't take a punch well, and doesn't figure to test Slice's ground game either. The fight was made to be short and explosive.

May 31 -- Gina Carano (5-0) vs. Kaitlin Young (4-1): The highest-profile match in women's MMA history. Last year, Carano and Julie Kedzie legitimized women's MMA to the Showtime audience by stealing the show on the first MMA event on a premium cable network. This fight is here with the hope lightning strikes twice, with 15 or 20 times as many viewers, and thus has more potential impact. Carano, aka Crush on "American Gladiators," has a unique likeability, in that she appeals strongly to both male and female fans. But it won't work unless they put on a great fight.

June 1 -- Urijah Faber (20-1) vs. Jens Pulver (22-8-1): The WEC featherweight title match in Sacramento's Arco Arena is both the biggest fight in WEC history and the biggest featherweight fight ever in the U.S. The division, largely put on the map by Faber in the last year plus, sees the champ, one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world, facing UFC's first-ever lightweight champion. Pulver, who has spent most of his career fighting bigger men, has an 8-0 record at 145 pounds. It's Faber's all-around game against Pulver's sprawl-and-brawl.

June 1 -- Miguel Torres (33-1) vs. Yoshiro Maeda (23-4-2): This is the highest-profile bantamweight fight ever in the U.S. Torres put on a ground clinic winning the title from Chase Beebe on Feb. 13 in Albuquerque, taking him from unknown to a pound-for-pound top ten ranking. As far as international reputation goes, Maeda is by far the toughest test Torres has faced.

July 5 -- Quinton Jackson (28-6) vs Forrest Griffin (15-4): The combination of the light heavyweight title in UFC being the marquee championship of the sport, and weekly buildup as opposing coaches on The Ultimate Fighter, makes this the biggest mainstream match of the next few months. Jackson will go in as the strong betting favorite to retain, but Griffin will likely be the crowd favorite in Las Vegas.

July 19 -- Fedor Emelianenko (27-1, 1 no contest) vs. Tim Sylvia (26-4): It's the debut show of the new Affliction promotion, backed by the popular T-shirt brand. It's one of the biggest money fights in history with Emelianenko rumored to be getting in the $2 million range, and Sylvia believed to be getting $800,000 to show and a $200,000 win bonus. How they expect to recoup those costs is a huge mystery, since as great as Emelianenko is, he's never proven to have any drawing power in North America. Affliction is trying to challenge UFC with a strategy of bidding high to get a roster of top heavyweights. It's been almost three years since Emelianenko has faced a true top heavyweight. Sylvia, a two-time UFC champ who was battering current UFC champ Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira their entire fight until a quick submission on the ground, will at least test where the Russians stands. Is Fedor still "The Man" in this sport? And more importantly, will Affliction survive early losses and stay in the game? Or will they be this year's Bodog Fight, the rich owner who spends money and talks a long-term game, and quickly loses so much he's out of business?

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8034
"Miguel Torres (33-1) vs. Yoshiro Maeda"

I saw Miguel fight over at the Hammond Civic center in Indiana and the guy has talent. That was in a small show nearly 2 years ago. I've watched him fight on TV at least 3 times now. He claims he's out of Chicago for some reason but his family's gym is in Indiana unless they have branched out.

I can't wait for the Fedor fight, I can't wait to see Tim Sylvia get beaten. He just lacks the real drive to fight by playing the conservative game every fight. His fights are usually very boring... Anyhow(!), this month's fight of Penn Vs. Sherk will be awesome and I really hope that the supplement abusing freak Sean Sherk loses. He was taking like 50 pills a day from Xyience and claimed he had no idea what was going on.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3167
No idea my a$s. I remember seeing his inside the UFC thing before his title fight against Franca. He was METICULOUS about his supplements, diet, training, everything.

This fight scares me a little because I don't think it's a lock for B.J. when it should be. Sherk to me is the lightweight Tim Sylvia. Plays it safe, very one-dimensional. He just wants to lay on top and hit you with hammers and elbows (that aren't doing real damage) and grind out a decision.

I pray B.J. finishes him in the 1st or 2nd round, cause after that Mr. Conditioning's chances go way up.

Rob: Stop hiding in the subwoofer section all the time you little b!tch or i'm gonna come downtown and darce choke u.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3168
Day replaces Leben in UFC 85

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_experts/post/Day-replaces-Leben-in-UFC-85?u rn=mma,81741

Sucks that the guy couldn't get his sh!t in order. This fight woulda been a HUGE opportunity for him. I think the UFC wants Bisping to be a title contender in the near future (god knows they need em' in the 185lb division), so to knock off Bisping coulda been a career fight.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8046
"Rob: Stop hiding in the subwoofer section all the time you little b!tch or i'm gonna come downtown and darce choke u."

Lol, you'd snap your own arms trying! Just kidding but I haven't really been posting much, I've been too busy working out and feeding myself =/ Cooking sucks but it's worth it I think.

I agree about the Sherk VS. Penn fight and I want Penn to win but Sherk is a monster and I wouldn't quite say he's like a mini Tim because Tim doesn't rush in like a madman lol. Did you see when Sherk ran right into a knee from Franca? It didn't even phase him and that's a bit scary haha.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3171
"Did you see when Sherk ran right into a knee from Franca?"

That fight was a long time ago, but if my memory serves me, didn't that happen near the beginning of like 3 or 4 rounds in that fight? That was hilarious though, they weren't even glancing blows, they were vicious knees RIGHT ON THE JAW. And yet Sherk didn't go out.

When this fight was first set though I was saying that B.J. would destroy Sherk. But you and a few other people have changed my mind a little. However I look back to how much trouble Hughes, at 170lbs, had taking down and controling B.J., and Sherk obviously is smaller than Hughes.

I say B.J. in the second round by triangle.

"I've been too busy working out and feeding myself =/ Cooking sucks but it's worth it I think."

are you bulking again? or is the cooking just a new hobby? I agree that cooking sucks. It's the meat that kills ya, it seems like the dirty pans and foreman grill plates are neverending.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 16580
Being a single dad with little time on his hands I cook when I can. I love crock pots in the winter and the grill during the summer. I love making pasta and corn on the cob whenever possible.

I don't bake however.

Breakfast used to be my favorite meal of the day until I found out that you can sleep right through it on the weekends lol.

Shoot. I forgot this thread was about fighting.

Sorry.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3173
Don't be sorry Paul. This is the OT section and we were already talking about cooking anyway.

Funny you mentioned being a single dad, I was gonna say the cooking thing has given me TONS of additional respect for parents everywhere. Especially single parents!!!

Paul Larrea = Kick A$s Dad

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8047
"are you bulking again? or is the cooking just a new hobby? I agree that cooking sucks. It's the meat that kills ya, it seems like the dirty pans and foreman grill plates are neverending."

Nope. Cutting to the extreme. I'm under 150 pounds right now at 5' 11''.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3650
UFC 84: "Ill Will" is this weekend. Picks:

Lyota Machita def. Tito Ortiz - Decision
BJ Penn def. Sean Sherk - Submission

Upset pick:
Keith Jardine def. Wanderlei Silva - TKO

Also on June 1st. Jens Pulver will take on Urijah Faber for the WEC featherweight title. I really hope that Jens whoops Urijah.

Mark Coleman also dropped out of his fight against Brock Lesnar citing he has a knee injury. Except there is a video of him saying that he would drop down to 205 to avoid fighting Lesnar, and that he feels sorry for Lesnars next opponent.
http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/05/22/mark-coleman-is-terrified-of-brock-lesnar/

Some good comes out of him dropping out thoug. GSP vs. Fitch will be the headliner.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3671
Tonights the night...see ya'll after the fight. See how close my predictions are.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3210
I don't have a real strong prediction on the first two fights you mentioned, although i'm definitely rooting for B.J. and Machita.

Jardine IMO though will destroy Silva. Silva looked bored to me in his fight against Liddell. And Jardine is really a fighter on the rise aside from the KO he took from Alexander which can happen to anyone obviously. Jardine has NASTY leg kicks, people don't think of those as a dangerous weapon but it's not easy to throw kicks and punches of your own when you can barely stand. Look for the leg kicks to be the difference.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3672
Good event all in all.

Machita def. Ortiz - Decision
Silva def. Jardine - TKO 1st round, real quick (dont know the time)
Penn def. Sherk - TKO end of 3rd

Better than most events I've seen recently.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3673
Next up. WEC, June 1st on Versus.
Pulver vs. Faber.

I hope to God that Pulver kicks Fabers @ss. I cant stand him.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3213
So much for my Jardine prediction...

Glad B.J. won though. I was kinda surprised when I heard Rogan and Goldberg talking about how Sherk supposedly took a lie detector test to prove his innocence. I hadn't heard about that, I'd be interested to know who did the test, what kinda questions were asked, is it verifiable that the test wasn't rigged etc.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3677
Yeah so much about Jardine lol. I read he had to go to the hospital. Poor guy only got 10g's for that fight. After paying his trainers and hospital bills he aint got much left.

Sherk swears up and down that he was clean. He says that the test was messed up somewhere along the chain of command. He plans on suing the people who do the testing.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3262
Jesse, Rob, tell me your thoughts on UFC Bedlam!!!

I've been super busy, missed the event and haven't heard much about the fights other than who won/lost.

How did Hughs look against Alves?

Gold Member

LowDownForum.com

Post Number: 3880
Bisping came out and tko'd his opponent in the first round. It was very one sided.

Alves didnt make weight. He was 4lbs over...very unprofessional. He said he had a sprained ankle the week before weigh in. I was just thinking to myself, sauna...sweatsuit....bike.

Hughes agreed to fight him none the less. Alves looked HUGE compared to Matt Hughes. I'm talking at least 10lbs bigger. Alves caught Hughes with a knee and Tko'd him in the 2nd round. Hughes didnt look good at all.

My favorite fight of the night was on the undercard. Wiman vs. Tavares. KO of the night in my opinion too.

Nate Marquardt was winning his fight against Thales Leites but had 2 points deducted and lost the fight. He gave Leites a great pile driver though. LOL

And Brandon Vera vs Fabricio Werdum was ok. The same ref that stopped the Kimbo vs Thompson fight stopped this one early imo too. Werdum had full mount and was throwing punches but for the most part Vera was blocking them. He wasnt hurt and there was only 15 seconds left in the round. I was thinking to myself, "this ref let kimbo get hit about 30 times by elbows unblocked for about 1 minute, even though they werent hurting him. And stops this fight with 15 seconds left when Vera WAS defending himself, not hurt."

Thats my rundown and my opinions.

Heres the Nate Marquardt pile driver. LOL

http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/06/09/piledriver-power/#comments

And heres the dumbass ref Dan Miragliotta (the one who called the Kimbo and Vera fights). He's raising the hand of the loser when they are announcing the winner. LOL

http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/06/10/when-it-rains-it-pours/#comments

Gold Member

LowDownForum.com

Post Number: 3881
Btw I dont really care for Hughes. But I thought Alves was very wrong for not making weight. Oh and then at the end of that fight, Alves has the gull to beg Dana White for a shot at the title. He said, "please, I been a good boy". Good boy? Dude tested positive for something not too long ago and now didnt make weight, but thinks he has been a good boy.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3274
imo Bisping will be fighting for the title after 1 or 2 more fights if he keeps winning. he's an incredibly popular fighter in europe and has gained a bunch of fame in the U.S. obviously because of TUF. Dana would love to put him in the main event at 185.

Kinda glad Alves won, Matt Hughes has always been way overrated to me with the UFC constantly referring to him as "the greatest welterweight of all time". Alves should stfu and start working out like an MMA fighter instead of a bodybuilder.

I really wish someone would get Brandon Vera to lay off the donuts and fight at 205. He is such a tiny heavyweight it's ridiculous. There are guys fighting at 185 that are bigger than Vera (seriously). And I say all this cuz i'm a fan of his and I think he could be a title contender in a more natural division.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4158
Saw Rampage Jackson on Jimmy Kimmel the other night. Seemed like a really cool, funny guy. You wouldn't even know he was a bad azz really, just looked like a linebacker or running back. Not really an expert on UFC... what's the deal with him against Forrest Griffin? Who do you think will win etc?

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3275
Ramp and Forrest are the two coaches on the current season of the ultimate fighter, and they both strike me as really funny, grounded guys.

As for the fight Brad, it's going to be insane. Forrest is about as complete a fighter as there is in the UFC today. His stand-up has always been dangerous, and has become more and more technically sound over the past couple years. He can wrestle and strike well on the ground, and IMO has great submissions.

Ramp is just a beast. He's only 6'1" but still pretty large at 205 pounds. When they face off Rampage will look like the much stronger, thicker fighter. Also well rounded, Ramp is particularly fond of picking guys up for big slams, and then wailing on them as soon as they hit the mat. His jiu jitsu isn't stellar, and he has joked a lot about how jiu jitsu is not his style or preference. But at the same time, he's certainly not a novice, and being so physically powerful can go a long way in helping to improve/maintain position, and muscle out of submissions if necessary.

I really like both these guys, hard for me to root either way. I'll probably cheer for Forrest just cause Ramp has already won the title, and it would set up a HUGE rematch undoubtedly.

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

TC, MI USA

Post Number: 803
"Ramp and Forrest are the two coaches on the current season of the ultimate fighter, and they both strike me as really funny, grounded guys. "

^^^agreed - both seem like great people and are both funny as shiit

i think it will be a close fight. i feel that forrest has a better skill set but rampage is at the top of his game.

it is going to be hard to cheer for one over the other so i will just sit back and watch the great fight that it will be.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8274
I met Matt Hughes yesterday but I'll drop more news on that later. Chuck Lidell is also off of the market ladies, yep, he got engaged just recently.

Gold Member

LowDownForum.com

Post Number: 3943
TUF Finale tonight!

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8284
About Matt Huges, well... I saw him at a church he's a big time Christian and was talking about God and the bible. He was there for a charity as well. Seems like a really cool and down to Earth guy though. He was in a brace after what Thiago did to him =/ His last fight is going to be Vs. Serra and hopefully he kicks Serra's a s s.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3282
Serra FTW. I hope he pwns Hughes.

On an unrelated note, is anyone else pumped to see Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin? Anderson is without a doubt a far more skilled fighter, but I think he'll be happy to stand with Irvin, and if you think Irvin can't knock him out you're nuts.

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

TC, MI USA

Post Number: 811
the TUF series where serra and hughes were the coaches was the worst IMO

i dont care for either but i would like to see hughes kick serra's assoff

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3311
Man I am SOOOOOO EXCITED for this weekends event. Forrest vs. Rampage is gonna be nuts. Can't make a prediction on this one yet, still on the fence.

I think Almeida will pwn Cote in the middleweight division.

I like Koscheck to overwhelm Lytle.

And I'll take McCully to pull a big undercard upset over Gonzaga.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8308
I'm going to say Rampage takes it. I mean c'mon he worked Chuck Liddell like nothing but it could have been a fluke. :-( I also hope Koscheck wins his fight and he's been looking very solid and well rounded in in all of his fights so that's a good sign. As far as the Gonzaga bout goes I'm not sure who to take but Gonzaga is capable of serious stand-up.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3314
McCully is just a really gritty, scrappy, tough kinda fighter so i like the idea of him pulling the upset. On paper Gonzaga should probably destroy him, but that's why they get in there and fight :-)

Regarding Ramp vs. Forrest, my logic is telling Ramp is gonna win, I guess my heart is pulling for Forrest.

p.s. Jesse where the f*ck are you? get in here and make your predictions b*tch.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4021
Forrest has the ability to beat Rampage but I just dont think it will happen. Rampage over Forrest. Going to be a sweeeet fight though.

I think if Cote can stuff Almeida's take downs he will win standing up. I've only seen one of Almeida's fights and only seen Cote about twice. Almeida looked damn good in the fight that I seen. I'm going to pic Cote though on a hunch.

I think the Koscheck, Lytle fight will be closer than you're thinking Pit. But I gotta take Kos as well.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4022
BTW, you guys like how UFC threw that card together for the 19th live on spike? Its the same night as the Affliction event with Tim Sylvia vs. Fedor.

Looks to be a pretty stacked card for the "Affliction: Banned" event.

Sylvia vs. Fedor
Arlovski vs. Ben Rothwell
Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo
Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Negao
Renato Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead
Aleksander Emelianenko vs. Paul Buentello
"Minotaro" Nogueira vs. Vernon White
Vitor Belfort vs. Terry Martin

And a few others. Most of the undercard fights will be on Fox Sports and the main fights will be on PPV.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3315
damn jesse that was quick.

My problem with Cote is he couldn't stuff Travis Luters WEAKA*S takedowns, and Almeida's are far superior.

Don't get me wrong about Koscheck vs. Lytle. I expect a good fight, when I said overwhelm i just meant i think that is Koschecks edge is his overwhelming athleticism. Didn't mean it would necessarily be a landslide victory.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4023
LOL!

Yeah that is gonna be a HUGE problem for Cote if he cant stop the take downs.

I gotcha on the Kos vs Lytle fight now. You're reason for Kos winning is exactly why I am picking him too.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8310
I can't wait to see Fedor destroy Sylvia. That'll be great to see, I hate Tim Sylvia and his defensive fighting techniques, he's such a puss bag.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8317
GO RAMPAGE!!! OWOUUUUUUUH!(Howling)

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4037
This has potential to be a great fight!

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4038
Let me rephrase that. I think this will be a great fight!

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3320
I like Rampage to win but I agree it's gonna be a great fight! Forrest is just too tough and versatile a fighter to get run over.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4041
UNDERCARD RESULTS

Justin Buchholz def. Corey Hill via submission (rear-naked choke), 3:57 of round 2

Melvin Guillard def. Dennis Silver via TKO, 0:36 of round 1

Cole Miller def. Jorge Gurgel via submission (triangle choke), 4:48 of round 3

Gabriel Gonzaga def. Justin McCully via submission (kimura), 1:57 of round 1

Main Card

Tyson Griffin def Marcus Aurelio and wins the unanimous decision, with all three judges scoring it 30-27

Josh Koscheck def Chris Lytel and wins the unanimous decision, and is booed loudly by the crowd. Koscheck dominated Lytle.

Next is Joe Stevenson vs. Gleison Tibau. Should be an exciting fight.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4042
Tibau had Stevenson in a couple of mean submission attempts but Stevenson was able to overcome them. Stevenson wins via guillotine choke at 2:57 of the 2nd round.

Next up, Cote vs Almeida.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4043
The scores are 29-28 Cote, 29-28 Almeida, and 29-28 Cote. Cote takes the split decision.

Main event time!

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4044
Forrest is the new LH champion.

48-46, 48-46, 49-46

I had it tied at the end of the 4th round. But Forrest looked pretty good. I wanted Rampage to win, but I Feel the decision was correct. I didnt think it was as far apart as the judges scored though.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4241
Fixed!

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8318
Forest definitely earned his victory but the scoring was pretty sh1tty the entire night. Koscheks fight was the best out of all for sure.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3322
Congrats to Forrest. I thought the fight was pretty good, and the decision was correct.

Cote vs. Almeida was a joke. Perfect example of what a sad state of affairs the 185lb division is in. I mean does anyone HONESTLY think either of those guys would be able to give Silva a run for his money? I sure as hell don't.

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4045
"I mean does anyone HONESTLY think either of those guys would be able to give Silva a run for his money?"

LMAO HELL TO THE NO!!

Silva got the ok to hold the titles in both the LHW and MW classes simultaneously. He will be moving back and forth and is expected to fight at least 3 more times before the end of the year.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8322
Yea, nobody can touch Silva. Did you guys see Kos's hair? That sh1t was funny as hell! It looked like he had red hair dye in it from all of Lytle's blood hahaha.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3324
Interesting article about the current scoring system in the UFC.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-ufcscoring070708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

What do you guys think? Is it a significant problem or do you think they get it right all/most of the time? How would you change it?

One situation discussed in the article is very problematic IMO. That situation being when fighter A edges out a slight 10-9 advantage in rounds 1 and 2, but then in round 3, fighter B destroys fighter A, not able to finish him, but clearly doing far more damage than was done to him in rounds 1 and 2. IMO fighter B deserves to win that fight without question. Damage should be the first and most significant consideration, THEN you consider things like positional control and aggression.

Furthermore, the extent to which guys are given credit for things like submission attempts and take-downs is really subjective, and seems to vary quite a bit from judge to judge. I mean in one sense, a choke that a guy slips out of just before going to sleep was just as close to ending the fight as a punch that buckles a guy's knees, but he's able to recover from before being finished. However, if you consider the damage factor, failed submission attempts USUALLY, except in rare cases, don't have the cumulative affect that a near-KO punch has. As we've seen many times, the near-KO punch can take its victim from fresh and energetic, to delirious and lethargic in a split second, disrupting the equilibrium and such.

Interesting subject on a sport I truly love. I can't complain too much about the scoring. Off the top of my head, although i'm sure there has been others, I can only think of one decision that really upset me. That was Matt Hamill vs. Michael Bisping, where Hamill clearly won the fight IMO, but Bisping was awarded the victory.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8351
"That was Matt Hamill vs. Michael Bisping, where Hamill clearly won the fight IMO, but Bisping was awarded the victory."

That's because they want a world-wide fan base. Of course they GAVE Bisping the victory to avoid a riot lol. Everyone knows he got his @ss stomped though!

Gold Member

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4066
"Affliction: Banned" is this weekend as well as UFC's free event on Spike. I'm gonna be on the computer watching the Affliction event with the TV 3 feet away watching the UFC fights.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8352
Hmm...my buddy and I are going to order the Affliction event and we'll probably have a sh1t load of people over and setup 2 T.V.s :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us