40-42" LCD TV opinions ...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14488
really thinking about buying myself 1 for xmas

so i was in a store 2nite looking at some demo tvs & out of all brands they have like sharp aquos \ sansui \ viore \ samsung etc i find this 1 IMO shows the clearest & most natural looking

http://www.sonystyle.com/we...uctId=8198552921665381955

what do u all think - havent seen any LGs or panasonic as yet but i want to go get a demo of em ....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14489
sony bravia KDL-40S4 ...

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 943
i have seen a few samsung lcd's and IMO they are excellent for the price. U can prob get a very nice one for around 800

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14490
thanks

but i was expecting more ppl to post ...

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 19258
My brother in law has a 52" Aquos Rovin and does he love it! It's not LCD I believe though. He also paid $2500 for it as well.

Yup. $800 seems to be this years golden number for flat screens in that size. Next year it will be down $400-$500.

$999 for your model? I think you can do better.

I have too many tv screens in my house to be in the market so I can't really offer any suggestions.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14491
well lowest so far ive sen it online is at walmart for $925

i havent settled concrete on this 1 as yet since it was was only last night i started to go to an actuall store to see shitt with my own eyes

i dont really need a big 46" or up .... 40-42 seems like what wud suit my needs ...

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4872
With LCD's, stick to the 3 S's... Samsung, Sony and Sharp, with an honorable mention to LG. Don't forget that LG is Philips, and they know a thing or two about making displays. But even within those brands, you need to research particular models because they can vary widely from size to size and model to model. But you are best off sticking to those four brands. Vizio uses Samsung panels (in fact many budget brands use the exact Sony/Samsung raw panels from the $2 billion factory in Korea) and are a good choice on a budget. I would guess that at least 70% of the worlds LCD panels are manufactured by either Sony/Samsung or Sharp. It is highly debated how much the rest of the components" circuitry, wiring, chassis, power supplies etc., matter picture quality-wise. But it has been proven over the years that the major brands are far more reliable and consistent.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19259
Also, just to throw it out there. Your tv will only look as good as its' signal. Blu ray and dvd movies will look great but if you don't subscribe to a HD source for your broadcasts your picture is only going to be so good. My provider charges an extra $10/month per receiver for HD.

We all go digital soon as well. Out with the rabbit ears.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4873
Paul, the newer sets with upconversion, or as Sony calls it: Digital Reality Creation, can upconvert cable to the sets native resolution, and with digital noise filters etc. can create a very nice picture... assuming that you are receieving a strong, fairly clear signal to begin with. You are correct that older sets looked like ass on standard cable signals. If you can't supply an HD TV with enough pixels to quench it's display, the unused pixels tend to present themselves as graininess. But now with built in line doublers and quadruplers, that issue is a thing of the past.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19261
Great info.

Gold Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 1542
I have had for about 6 months now, a new 42" Vizio 1080p LCD and love it, and it was under $800...I stood in the store and looked at em all and the Vizio was as good or better than most, but less expensive..plus I like the free extended 2 yr warranty from Costco..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14492
thing is i dont have a strict brand preference , u can spend hrs & days looking at all the fancy terms\specs online but at the end of the day its best to go to a showroom & see 4 urself what look s good TO U ...thats what i have started doing - in fact im about to leave in a short while to go look at some more & will post back here later ....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19270
Pretty cheap here.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=42596 13&sku=A204-4204

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14493
^hey thats a pretty gr8 find there pauly - specs look good & u cant complain about price but if only i cud get a store demo of it that might be a good choice 4 me

well i went to 2 stores today which had LG \ samsung \ sony bravia \ panasonic

& again the sony looked crystal clear though the panasonic right next to it was very good too ...they had 46" in both & they were showing spiderman 3 blue ray off a Ps3 & man did shitt was damn clear & 3D as if u were in a cinema ...the 42" LG models though they had ICE AGE 2 on reg dvd showing on it & not as clean as the sets showing spiderman 3 BUT after speaking to the store clerk he mentioned the LGs as being only 720 resolution which makes a darn big difference in clarity it seems to me

in the 2nd store well its like they had a crappy cable service & all the sets were showing snowy so u really cant get a good view - very lame of them since they cud have simply ran a DVD ....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19275
I'm tempted on that deal I really am.

But bottom line for me is I don't need it. I want it but don't need it right now.

I agree Rovin it helps tremendously to see the product before you buy it.

When I bought my HD big screen tv a few years back I had every intention of using it. Saw it in the store and was amazed!

Then when I found out my sat provider charged an extra $10/month for the HD receiver/signal I was pizzed.

I tanked on it. Now I have a HD tv and never experienced/saw the picture I paid for.

Doesn't matter to me though. I watch about 1 hour/week.

9 if you include football.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9110
I love my Sanyo 32" HD.... it was only $500

My school only gives us standard cable no HD, but theres nothing like HD gaming on the 360 :-)

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 23037
what are your thoughts on this package. i might head down there and pick it up.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-42-Plasma-HDTV-PN42A450/sem/rpsm/oid/2066 08/bundleId/21380/rpem/ccd/bundleDetail.do?intcid=ListPageBundleTextLink

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19293
Good price. I wish it were 1080 though.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 23038
yeah me too paul. but bundled with the xbox 360 it looks like a real good deal. i promised myself i wasn't going to use my credit card. i was doing fine for about 2 years but with money going in to my car modding, looks like its plastic time. lol. damn.

i'm about to drop $1200 on a set of new coilovers for my car.:-) i might just wait on that tv for now.

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 945
that looks like an amazing deal...something i would get for my bedroom.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4884
Choosing a TV based on what it looks like in the store is one of the worst methods possible. There are so many factors to why, but I am not going to waste my time again. Anyways, I pretty much spelled it out for you, and since you never thank anyone for taking the time to help you or acknowledge that they even posted, I won't be posting in any of your threads again.
Onward with your backasswards approach to choosing a set... have fun with that.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9021
Anyone that needs a T.V. so large is definitely compensating!

Just messin, I'm just jealous. I'm sportin a 13 incher.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14513
Brad Warren

u gotta be kidding us with ur last reply right ?

from day 1 here on E i have shared my thoughts & opinions\help in ALOT of car audio threads & though some ppl dont take my advice or acknowledge me or say thanks u wont see me whining about it - u dont give help over d internet expecting a thank u - its ppl asking for help & others try to help thme without expecting any reward

...there r alot of E members here buying unnecessary or lousy stuff & u dont see others saying its chit - its not like im buying a sony car audio imo their tvs & other stuff beside car audio they make is pretty decent stuff ....i did my research & i like to see what a tv looks like in real - u cant get everything off the internet

...dude lighten up ! u really surprise me with that attitude ...

=============================
chad that is a good price but that 720 specs does seem to make a noticeable viewing difference judging from tvs i have looked at in stores - but dont just take my word 4 it go c 4 ur self...

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 3023
i'd be wary ordering anything from circuit city anymore....

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 10089
Brad wrote : "With LCD's, stick to the 3 S's... Samsung, Sony and Sharp,"

-----------------------------------------

and that is EXACTLY what i would have said. CNET says the same thing too.;)
i have a Samsung and i havent had any problems with it yet and the picture is great.

hey Rovin, see if you can check out of those Samsungs with the 120hz refresh rate...they are fu kin SILK son!!!!

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10090
or maybe that was consumer reports...either way...those 3 are the best. those Bravia's look amazing.

BUT if i can give you any advice........

DO NOT BUY FROM WALMART if you dont have to. they usually carry lesser models of the same brands and the models are often older models...hence the lower price tag. so just be careful when browsing at walmart. :-)

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10091
my bad. what i meant to say up there wasnt that walmart TVs are sh1t....bc it will DEFINITELY be mistaken for that. i was simply trying to say that if you are going to spend the money dont buy from walmart bc they are often cheaper-made models and older models hence the cheaper pricetag. :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14516
cool man ^

hope im not wrong but from looking online it seems as though walmart has the current up to date models at least in the sonys i checked

still not settled on any as yet so tomorrow im going to some other shops to check out some more ...

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9154
Oh please there is nothing wrong with buying from walmart..... I bought my 32" Sanyo from there and it was the best TV you anywhere at that price.

Gold Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 1577
Wallyworld carrys the same makes and models as most all other stores...its cheaper because they buy in such quanity..their products are NOT older or inferior..they are NOT some "liquidation" store selling outdated products..and if ya buy the items from them ONLINE, often you will save 30-40%, and its the exact same warranty as buying in the store...for instance, I bought a boat cover for $75 online with free ship to store, which sells at the store for $110...

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9155
Yeah thats true.... I bought a garmin nuvi 350 GPS from walmart.com it was $200, in the store it was like $350

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10101
here we fukin go....you really wanna ride this train with me???

did i say GPS??? no
i said the words "often", "if you are going to spend the money" and wtf do you come off saying oh please??? i am not your fukin grandkid dude, i do my research just like everyone else. and i GUARANTEE you that walmart doesnt carry the same MODELS of tvs as best buy past the bargain buys that the companies come out with which are the lower model tvs.

dont tell me sh1t i already know man, you dont need to go around the block with me about walmart. i simplay said...if you are SPEND THE MONEY $900 or more...then go big or go home, and sadly, that will not be done at walmart. :-)

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10102
also, the sony's and samsungs and yadda yadda yadda you buy at walmart are the same brands and they are respectable brands yes. but they arent top of the line and they arent middle grade either. they are the enrty level tv's that the companies respectively make for the cheaper prices. i didnt say they were sh1t, but for the money you can get a little bit nicer for a couple hundred extra. :-):-):-) done.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10103
does anybody else want to sh1t in their hands and throw it back and forth???

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10104
i could go for a nice movie in those chairs at best buy right about now. lmao:-)

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9033
"I bought my 32" Sanyo from there and it was the best TV you anywhere at that price."

Sanyo televisions suck d1ck. Better than what I got though.

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9163
Yeah.... the picture is better than anything else in the price range and it has all the inputs the more expensive models have.

But sure they suck......

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9164
And sure walmart doesn't carry the super high end expensive models..... but if you're in the market for something walmart does have they usually have the best price.

Sure the TV I have wansn't as good as ones that were 2x the price thats to be expected, but it was a good deal.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10118
i completely agree with your last post M.S. but what i was saying is if you are planning on buying a really expensive t.v....dont buy it at walmart bc there are better to be had. :-)

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10119
and dont ever fukin oh please me again.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19322

Gold Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 9170
haha. you just made it sound like the stuff from walmart is bad, when its the same stuff other stores sell

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1899
I just bought a 42" Bravia LCD and am using it for my main monitor as well as my TV, ectt.... The best TV i have owned to date... NO COMPLAINTS WHATSOEVER!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14533
^see thats what im talking about - unlike their not so hot car audio : SONY TVs ROCK !

must ask since i saw on reviews for their 40" model : ppl say they sorta take long to start up - is that true ? ...

went to another showroom today & they had Sony Bravia 40" , 46" & 52" sets on the same wall showing spiderman 3 & man i always thought the 40" was what i wanted but it looked kinda small & maybe the 46" might be better since this a expensive buy & its not something u do often

bet ppl think im from the usa & buying it in the usa but im in another country where our exchange rate is TT$6.30 to us$1 & stuff usually costs us in our $ x10 times the US price BUT now im seriously thinking to wait til dec26th & have my bro buy it & ship it to me ...wud def save some $100s ...

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10120
oh hell yeah man....i wouldnt buy anything with an exchange rate like that. just wait and save your money:-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14577
well for my budget i got this yesterday

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=1055 1&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665381955

havent watched any dvd on it as yet but normal cable tv & a monopoly game my ol ps2 - shows very clear\nice once u adjust it to ur taste ....sound actually has treble & bass tuning too & its quite loud for my smallish living room so i havent gone more than 1\2 vol level ... im liking it thus far ...

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10167
great.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2238
My dad just picked up a 42" Sharp 1080p LCD from BigLots for $699. Helluv a deal if you ask me!

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10201
pics? linky?

C'MON DUDE!!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19554

Hell yeah that's a great price. There's a big lots not 10 minutes from me too. I want it, as long as they have it in stock.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14625
wow thats a gr8 price on that sharp - probably a after xmas blow out sale special...

btw i have since looked at some dvds on my sony & im satisfied ....

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2251
My dad was talking to the manager and he said each store only got 5 each, and he snagged the last one. Manager said it was a "new year special." I couldn't find a link online though, sorry.

My dad said he went to walmart a few days back and they had similar Sony flat screens for about the same price. Maybe check those out as well.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10246
so i went to Walmart today to get some model no.s off the tvs and.

THEY ARE ALL GARBAGE LOW END MODELS EXCEPT FOR 2.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10247
:-O

case closed.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14635
majority of popular stores from what ive seen online only stock like entry model or the 2 lowest features models since there is a big price difference as u go up to the higher models & they mainly cater for a certain price bracket ....

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10263
yes. but i still stand founded in my original statement. there are better tv's to behad than the ones at Walmart. and the ones at Walmart are the cheaper-made and subsequently cheaper cost tvs.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14639
i dont doubt u at all ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us