So, I'm looking at this S10...

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 3 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6714
My 98 Silverado has been going downhill here lately, and I just don't want to put another dime into it for repairs/upkeep. Its down to 16mpg and the cruise and driver side window just took a chit on me.

A place here in town has an 03 S10 ext cab on the lot for $7950. I cut work early and went to look at it. I'm seriously thinking about it.

In interior is in nice condition, but the paint has a few places. You can see 4-5 small places where the last owner tried to cover scratches w/ one of those paint pens. :-(
Not all that bad.

Its white w/ drop in bedliner and tires have plenty of tred. Its an LS (3rd door) and towing package. It's got the 4.3L v6, so my 180A alt from my Silverado will bolt right up.

Here is the BAD...they offered me RIDICULOUSLY high interest through GMAC....Payments would be $160/month w/ $2500 down.

So, I'm going by my bank to see what I can do...I already have a loan w/ them and they offer better interest for auto loans. Pretty sure I can get ~$170/month w/ nothing down.

Hoping to get ahold of Dave (LouisianaCRX) and see about a sprayed in liner.

If all goes well, by Monday I'll be out of the '98 1500 and into an '03 S10.

So, what yall think?

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3188
pics or it didn't happen.

seriously though, that's a good truck, I have seen many an s10 owner (spec the 4.3l) happy. I have an 01 blazer 4.3, wish I had my f150 back, but it's better than my last vehicle

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22231
do it. sounds like a good deal.

btw turbo that bish when you get it.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8347
Thats a good truck...... a few things though:

Look into getting an auto loan from capital one, from what I have seen they have very good rates and are not strict about who they give credit to.

Your alternator may bolt up, but it may NOT have the same electronics in it...... be very careful of that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6715
humm...turbo 4.3L S10.

I'm called in a favor and may be able to get the truck for a little less. :-)
I will know tomorrow. I might actually be driving it by the weekend.

The truck come w/ a 2yr/24,000mile warranty.

(and my 3515's may be in 2 weeks later, lol)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6716
I just looked at it, I may have to get another alt...oh well...just one more thing.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3192
if you turbo, let me know how you like it, I've been contemplating turbo charging mine for 2 years now....

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22235
you gonna need extra power to haul around your audio equipment canaan. you know you want to. lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6717
Well, my 98 silverado has the 4.3L v6, so this S10 w/ the same engine will feel like a dam Corvette in comparison. lol

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18078
X2 on Capital one. Go to lendingtree.com and plug in some info. Within a very short time you'll get 3-4 offers of credit to choose from. That's what I did when I bought my 1999 F-150. Capital one came back with 6.99%. Better than in house financing. Once you accept they overnight your check (up to the amount you get approved for) and you use that to buy the vehicle. Very simple.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3194
well if I'm not mistaken it did come in the v6 camaros, but I've never kept up with them so don't know for sure.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8671
Ugh, turboing that truck would be stupid lol. Put a stroker motor in it :-)

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8355
While I happen to agree with Rob, there was actually a version of the S10 that came with turbo from the factory.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Syclone

And the V6 engines in base model camaros were the 2.8L, 3.1L, 3.4L, 3.8L depending on the year. 305 and 350 V8s were optional

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3195
what would i have to do to get 280hp out of my 4.3L, or close to it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6724
Going after work to look at the truck again and talk to a manager higher up the chain.
My Parents have bought vehicles from this place. Bought a new 05 Avalanche and pretty much paid cash. Looks like I can get the price down a little.

99% sure I'm not gonna finance through them...I looked at the #'s and the payments they told me where WAY off. By like $50 a month...not sure where the hell they came up w/ the #'s they gave me.

Gonna drive it and get some pics.

I'm already looking a tonneau covers...lol.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8361
If that truck is 4WD check that it engages and works properly before you buy, and that trans fluid isn't low..... S10's have 2 vacuum actuators that engage the 4WD that are known to fail and one of them is an expensive fix as you have to pull the trans to get at it.

And join us on s10forum.com if you get it haha

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8362
" what would i have to do to get 280hp out of my 4.3L, or close to it? "

Umm, put a Syclone engine in it? haha. That motor is different than the other 4.3L's, they did more than just slap a turbo on it.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3197
well in that case, I'll just stick to my original Diesel build/plan

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6378
what are you building thieves?

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3199
when I get the money, 94-97 Ford 250-350 7.3L turbo charged diesel. I'm gonna look into some banks power kits. It will be a 5 speed on the floor, prob 60/40 seats(std cab). I wanna put it just lower than stock f150 height. I want to eventually go bio diesel. It will be a weekend/fun daily driver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6726
Well, I went and talked to them again today. They still had not cleaned the truck and gave me the run-around. I offered them a cash price and they pretty much chit on it.

Looks like I'm gonna say fvk this S10.
Kinda pisses me off.

I'm gonna start saving some more and look at S10/Colorado's. Oh well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6727
Oh...and they told me yesterday the 2yr warranty was included.
Today they said it was $1750 extra.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6380
cool, i would look for something other then banks though. I dont know much about the 94-97 7.3s. Im going to be starting a project in a couple months on 02/03 7.3 CC LB. Probably just 6in lift on 37s and about 350hp you cant go much over 400 on the later 7.3s when they switched to PMC rods. Im going to be making biodiesel too.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18088
Yup. Warranties on used vehicles are astronomical. Yet they make so much $$ on it it's not funny.

When I went to get my next truck I wanted the STX model as advertised for like $250/month lease. I was like, suuuure let's do it. Then when I got there they said "Ummmm we can't do that, but we do have blah blah blah.......

New and used car dealerships/salesmen are indeed worth their reputation.

Bait and switch, BS out the azz.....

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3200
if I were you, I'd get the colorado if you're seriously considering it, I just think they look better, not to mention the age.

Mat, what would you look at, as far as performance packages go? Assume the engine isn't turbo charged yet (that's looking pretty likely)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6728
Yea, I'm going to put a for sale sign in my trucks window and see if I can get it sold.

I would really rather a Colorado, a black or blue one.
Gotta see how much $ I can scrap up in the next little bit.
Prolly start punching out as many boxes as possible.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6381
i dont know enough about those years to really recommend much. straight pipe it, get a 6637 air filter from napa, aftermarket turbo and intercooler off a later 7.3. Get some bigger injectors. As far as tuners check out dp-tuner.com and SCT if they have tunes for those years they will be your best bet probably. check out ford-trucks.com theyve got some great forums there.

that sucks cannan, why not check out another 1500 maybe with the 5.3 instead. they are priced pretty low due to people not wanting v8s. and buying from the owner is usually a good choice over a dealer atleast to me, so check out craigslist and stuff, iv bought and flipped a few cars/trucks off of there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6730
Yea, I kinda wanna get out of my 1500 and go to a mini/mid sized truck. Wanna stay w/ Chevy or Toyota. Not big on Rangers. And the new Dakota's look like azz, IMHO.

I like the 327, but mini-trucks are calling me
And down the road, prolly some bags.
A colorado doing 156's laying frame would be the chit :-)

i5 colorado or canyon would be great.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6731
come to think about it...i wonder if my res. freq. would change in the air vs laying frame.

lol

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3203
Mat where are you getting that model f series and for how much? I'd love to have that body style.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us