Dayton BR-1 Kit Assembly

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17689
Well I had some time today and decided to attack the Dayton BR-1 monitor kit I recently won in a raffle. The kit comes complete with assembly required for the crossovers and speakers. I had fun with this. Mind you I am no electronic guru and have average soldering capabilities but nevertheless....

The crossover in raw form.

Upload

For those who are well versed it looks elementary. For those not, the land of Oz lol.

My first soldered connection from the rear. Notice the extended leads. After soldering they get trimmed back. Hey I don't do this for a living so cut me some slack lol.

Upload
Upload
Upload

For the next step I had to bypass two capacitors. A simple piggyback formation and connected in parallel.

Upload

After trucking along and following the provided diagrams we are making progress.

Upload

The crossover is complete minus the terminal leads. Mind you I used a hot glue gun to help in securing the components to the board.

Upload

Then there are the wires with terminals. Let me say this process takes as much time as all the soldering with the components with the crossover. With all the cutting and stripping and crimping it takes awhile.

Upload

The crossover is ready for install.

Upload

The crossover is positioned and hot glued to the bottom of the speaker.

Upload
Upload

Now for the provided damping material. Cut to fit and secured to the sides and rear.

Upload
Upload

After which we connect and install the woofer using the sealant provided and viola. We have a completed speaker.

Upload

This was only one of two of course but as with anything the second is sure to be easier for me. Like I said I had fun and even gained some more knowledge on hands on speaker building. Tested it out and works great. I can't wait for my amp to arrive for the pair and we'll see where we go from there.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8079
Thats a nice project. Self built electronics FTW :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17693
It is. Fun and educational.

Even for an old fug like me.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8497
Awesome project Paul, you're the man.

Silver Member
Username: Exige

CDT, Audiopulse Dealer

Post Number: 616
Nice work! I'll have to link this over to Phil ;)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17694

I do my best.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4170
nice job paul. I once made a fm radio from a radio shack kit when i was like 12. Who needed an expensive walkman that played cassettes and stuff anyway.

I did the reverse of that today myself.Smashed apart 3 cabinets and took the guds out. unfortanatly, all the subs had foam rot. but the mids and tweets will make for some rainy day fun.

Upload
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17722
Cool.

My first attempt wasn't anything to write home about but once the first crossover was under my belt the second went like a breeze. I actually had fun. I need a better soldering gun for sure. I had a cheap one but it crapped out on me within 15 minutes. I had to fall back on my larger iron. It's not good for fine detailed work but it got the job done.

If I actually knew enough about electronics I could see myself fixing boards and repairing amps/receivers in my spare time. It's relaxing.

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

Laziness and ignorance...

Post Number: 1263
Put mine together today and i didn't fuck it up! lol
These things kill on the heavy metal. The drum in Walls of babylon-symphony X are awesome. The horns (especially the saxophone halfway through) on Venus de Milo by Miles davis are stunning as well.
Overall i am very satisfied. Thanks Exige.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
The dark last pics are of inside the cabinet.
And thanks to Paul for doing his first so i caould see it. lol

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2085
Fantastic!

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2314
Neat!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1264
Splendid!

Fuck you guys

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17753
Seriously though that's some very nice soldering Phil. Very clean. It's a fun project isn't it? I just got my Sherwood amp last week and have the pair run off of it. Overall nice sound and response. My next step is for the purchase of speaker stands.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1265
Thanks paul and yea once i got the hang of it it was fun. The more i listen to them the more i like them.
I was actually looking a a sherwood stereo reciever for them. The amp they are on now is only a few watts. which one did you go with?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17754
I went with a 100w/channel entry level receiver for them. Also from PE. I have so many stereos in my home now that I didn't see sinking $400 on yet another receiver for a pair of monitors. The amp pushes them nicely and was only $100. I'm looking into putting them upstairs in the living room. I got this one:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=252-125

Gold Member

If it werent for box r...

Post Number: 1293
Thought i would bump this instead of making a new thread.
Finally got a suitable reciever for the br-1s
Marantz 2230
Upload
Upload
Upload
I kno i know the speakers are too close to the wall but there is no other option.:-(

i'm buying audio equipment that is at least twice as old as me.:D

As for the sound the 2230 definately gives it a very nice impact. it just took everything good about the speakers before and made them even better.

BTW that thing has the clearest radio i have ever heard.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 18077
You can't knock on gear of the past. Very solid stuff. There's a reason they're still around. They last!!

Good luck with it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us