Hurricane Party...

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 3 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6687
Headed to La Tech for a Hurricane Party. My college (ULM) canceled classes Mon-Wed.

Anyone else going to Hurricane Parties?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17963
No but I'll drink one for ya guys down south.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2176
Wish my college would cancel classes Monday-wensday. They only canceled the highschool classes here :-( So I still have to go to school 8:00 to 11:00

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3481
What's a "hurricane party"?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17970
My guess is they all get drunk and try to hold onto sheets of plywood for as long as they can?????

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8033
first one to let it go loses

Bronze Member
Username: Loudnproud

Post Number: 68
never been to one, and why would you have a party for something thats gonna cause so much devestation and kill people(well,the dumb ppl that decide to stay may deserve it)

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3482
"never been to one, and why would you have a party for something thats gonna cause so much devestation and kill people"

Still waiting for clarification on what a "hurricane party" is, but they might be raising funds to help out relief efforts or something, just a guess.

"the dumb ppl that decide to stay may deserve it"

It's complicated. Imagine having to abandon the home/livelihood that you've worked your entire life for, based on a weather prediction. Can't be easy.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17971
What's a shame is all the looting that happens in the wake and sometimes during these acts of God. As seen after Katrina even local security guards took advantage of it. I had a little compassion for those walking off with water and diapers but it turns my stomach to see the cretins lifting tvs and beer. Even worse were the ones who stole the water then later tried selling it to those in need. These things can bring out the best in ppl but usually we see the worst.

Silver Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 241
A hurricane party is just like most any other party..in the North we had "blizzard parties"...in Florida and the Gulf states , we have "hurricane parties"...its just an excuse to party and be together...so people can get together during bad weather times, and have some fun, rather than worrying about the weather outside...no sense worrying, so make the best of it and enjoy the times you have with others, while you are confined indoors during the storms.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6360
we have hurricane parties out at me house. we just hang out grill and drink. when its over we take the trucks out. its not celebrating really just makeing the best of out what it is.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17976
Funny. Right after Katrina I bought a 3000w Coleman generator just for the "what if" factor. Of course I never needed it and last week I had to break it out and start it up to make sure it was ok.

These generators are great for minor power outages but when you're facing days or even weeks without power they're not the answer. Without a hefty supply of gas available you'd get a day or two at most with what gas you may have on hand. Not to mention trying to keep them away from wanting hands. Ppl have been known to run them in their garages and vent the exhaust outside to protect from theft.

Then again that won't stop the knocking on the door when they hear it running asking for help.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6361
we have lost power for a week plus and it sucks but you just get used to it. makes you appreciate what you have. floridas heat and the 100% humidity after the storm makes it suck to not have ac though.

we chain our generators to a tree. where i live if someone comes onto your property at night chances are they are going to be shot.

it looks like we are going to get grazed by hannah just a bunch of more damn rain.

Silver Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 249
Yes, generators require gasoline, which any sensible person would stock up on BEFORE a hurricane or any storm. How much they use is dependent of the horsepower and amount of electricity used. On average they use about 5 gallons of gas, when using about 2500 watts for 18 hours using a 5000 watt generator...The average person is not going to be using 2500 watts full time ( refrig= 700w, tv= 400w, 1 light= 60w), so you may use 1200-1500 watts at once and that 5 gallons will last 24-30 hours. I have a Honda 5000w generator, that I fire up every 3 months for 10 minutes, and keep 25 gallons of gas with stabilizer stored at all times. Then I know I'll have 5-7 days of electricity, until power is restored or I need to get more gas (or take it out of my vehicle).

The use of gas and having a generator far outweighs the alternative, NO ELECTRICITY. I went 10 days once, with NO electricity (no TV, radio, lights, fans, etc) after a hurricane (Charley) and I learned my lesson quick. These items are a necessity after a storm and sweltering heat, and the unknown of what your situation really is. You must have some official communication (TV or radio) with the rest of the world.

I hook my generator right up to my elecrical dryer outlet in garage (shut OFF house MAIN breaker first, and KEEP it OFF) using a connection (simple heavy gauge (Romex 10-3 600v) 40 ft cable and a 220v 3 prong pigtail from Home Depot) and have no need for cords to trip on running all through the house. I use my present electrical panel breakers to transfer power to various areas of the house. My generator is located outside on side of garage, and has a home made cover (like an old big dog house with vents and heat shield) and secured. You can't even tell there's a generator there.

As far as theft, thats what chains and locks are for, along with a good dog. For safety , thats what carbon monoxide detectors are for. Common sense must be used at all times.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us