Help with paypal please

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1069
So I'm turning 18 at the end of the month, and I'm going to set up my own paypal account, instead of using my sisters acc.

Can I link a normal savings account to one, or do I have to have at least a checking account? I just need the bank account # to link it correct? Also, should I get a "personal" or "premier" account? I frequently use ebay to buy and sell sell stuff, if thats worth anything.

I was told you had to be 18 to have one, but somewhere someone said they knew a 16 year old who had their own. So any advise would be awesome, thanks in advanced guys.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6591
You need a checking account.

You need the account number and routing number. Both are on the bottom of your checks.

Get a premier account, that will allow you to receive money instead of just send it.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1074
So I guess I'll have to wait till I'm 18 and set up a checking account. Thanks man, just wanted to be sure.

Silver Member
Username: Marcooo

Post Number: 460
You have to be 18 to set up a checking account, by yourself, not 18 to use Paypal. IDK if they say you have to be 18 to use Paypal, but if you have your own account they'd have no way of knowing. And I have a savings account linked to my Paypal as one of my secondary options. Not sure if you can use it as your primary and/or only account.

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 14127
Some things U should know about paypal

www.paypalsucks.com

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2121
My sister is 13 and uses her savings account with Paypal.......

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 14431
I hate the 3% fee they charge.

" With a personal account, you can send payments for free and accept all payment types. Personal accounts have limits on the number of credit or debit card funded payments received per year, and are assessed a transaction fee. To view your Personal account limit, log in to your account and click the View Limits link.

Premier and Business accounts can accept all payment types for low fees. All accounts include our Core Features. Premier and Business accounts also include Premium Features. See our fee schedule. "

When you team up their fees along side of Ebay's fees it doesn't make any sense to sell an item unless you intend on rolling the fees into the price, which deters customers. The only companies GUARANTEED to make $$$ are Ebay, Paypal and the shipping companies. It's your risk. And yes, Paypal's fee structure is intended to confuse ppl.

Silver Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 871
x2 "I hate the 3% fee they charge."

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15292
Yup, me too, but it is convenient and makes good business sense...to Paypal!

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1080
Thanks guys, I'm gonna try to set one up with just a savings account and see what happens.

LK, I never knew paypal was hated to much! lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15299
It is hated only by people who got shafted. It is also inflated by people who spread the misery of a few and make it seem like there are more than there actually are.

But then again, who else will file a complaint, right? Incidentally, Paypal just settled a class action lawsuit back in 2006 for $5.2 million.
That's the internet for ya :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14457
"It is hated only by people who got shafted. It is also inflated by people who spread the misery of a few and make it seem like there are more than there actually are. "

Ironically that how some felt about AOL. At first it took family's pcs by storm. Everyone had it. "You've got mail" became the internet's email slogan. As the internet grew and ppl's choices expanded they opened their eyes and began to see the light. AOL was not a gift from god but became an advertising monster. Today the first thing I do to a new pc is remove the software. Shouldn't AOL be a choice?

Ebay and Paypal are joined at the hip. Ironically we have alternatives to both. Yes I have Paypal and I do buy/sell off of Ebay, both have their advantages. When more and more choices for both become available you'll see the fee structures ease up a bit. It must warm their heart when a seller "only accepts Paypal".

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15300
^^^ Dont' get me wrong, I am no big Paypal fan, I just wish there were more choices.

Competition is good for the consumer.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14458
Wherever there is profit there will be competition.

Unfortunately the largest venue of profit is politics. Here the consumer almost never wins.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14138
Either Paypal owns Ebay or vice versa..forget which...

Paypal is not well liked by many...and for many years...and for many legitimate reasons...Paypal is NOT customer friendly....this is not a news flash!...I myself won't ever use it again....almost all vendors will accept payments in other ways than Paypal..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14139
eBay picks up PayPal for $1.5 billion..July 2002

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14463
There you go.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14150
BEWARE OF THIS, ITS COMMON...

c/p of email

We have noticed several attempts of fraud. Seems like somebody tried to access your account.
You are able to log into your account but all your payments are suspended untill you will
update your personal information. PayPal works day and night to help keep your identity safe.
That's why it has come to our attention that your PayPal account information needs to be updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraudon our website. If you could take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.

Click on the link below.
https://www.paypal.com/

1. The link will take you to our Verify Your Identity page.
2. On the Verify Your Identity page, please fill in the correct information to verify your identity.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.
For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phishing Scam
Move your cursor over the alleged Paypal link and you will see that it will take you someplace else. It will look just like the Paypal page, but it's not.
They're phishing for your log-in info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey dude log to ebay and then go to your pay pal account and report that .don't click the link and give any information .thats is what they are trying to get you to do probably then they will clean out your acount

NOTICE THE HTTPS IN THE LINK...IT SHOULD BE HTTP ...NO "S"...MANY PEOPLE GET THIS EMAIL WEEKLY OR MORE...ESPECIALLY PAYPAL ACCOUNT OWNERS...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14477
Fuggin' scammers. Death to them all.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1099
"NOTICE THE HTTPS IN THE LINK...IT SHOULD BE HTTP ...NO "S"...MANY PEOPLE GET THIS EMAIL WEEKLY OR MORE...ESPECIALLY PAYPAL ACCOUNT OWNERS..."

Are you sure about that? I even googled it and it always came up https, even through a link on ebay. I thought the "S" meant its a secure page?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14166
look above in your browser on this page...U see a "S" in http....NOT

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/board-post.pl

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 166
there are other alternatives to paypal, unless you want to use them on ebay, ebay has them banned because they are just like paypal but a whole lot better, my two favorite are

1. paypay

2. alertpay

both are very good I have never had a problem with either one.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14503
Hi Shawn. Why don't you post more?

We have the same name.

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 167
hi paul, im actually starting to get alot more active in the forum, I mainly post in the home audio section.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1101
I think I'm gonna use paypal, only because thats what most people use or accept.

So I tried linking my savings to my paypal I just created, It lets me choose between a checking and savings. So I marked savings and now it keeps prompting me for a routing #. Any Ideas?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14169
routing #'s are on the bottom of checks...many savings accounts, like Money Market Savings actually have checks with a routing # on the bottom before the account #...

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13997
I have paypal, alterpay, and bidpay...

Lol, i dont like none of them...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15308
Yes, the "s" in the "https", means it is a secure site that needs passwords and authorization to enter. The genuine Paypal site has the "https:"

Most military and government sites have that designation as well.

The key is not to respond and click on links provided via e-mail.

ALWAYS, go to the site yourself.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1237
Haha, I believe LK just got pwned. What a douche.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14177
Berny...I'm retired 30 years O5 with the military and never saw an "S" on any site addy...and still consult with them and use military servers and sites and emails...I've VERY familiar with military, beleive me..

Pick one and show me the "https"...there is no "S"..and don't tell me any stuff about "classified" web sites..
http://www.af.mil/sites/

But, I will agree with U on this, though..which is just common sense..

The key is not to respond and click on links provided via e-mail. ALWAYS, go to the site yourself.

and banks will use an "S", but that doesn't mean that a site is SECURE, just because it has an "S"...and paypal scams are VERY common, so I"m just warning people what to watch out for..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14178
https (Hypertext Transfer Protocol over Secure Socket Layer) uses a 40-bit key size for the RC4 stream encryption algorithm, which is used for commercial enterprise.
You never want to do any kind of money transfer, personal information processing, ect. without the page being https.
Paypal pages are all https.
Bet the link in the email is just plain http (ex. http://127.0.0.1/paypal/).

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14179
Berny ...I think we mean the same...just be careful when using any site involving money transactions...some pay server sites are used with various scams...always call yourself and confim, before u react to any emails..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15313
I'm sure we mean the same thing. And why would I say anything about "classified" websites? The sites you are referring to are all public websites, but I'm sure you knew that...consulting with DoD and all

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14185
There are many of us retired, who maintain a "relationship" with the DOD and other agencies via Natick Labs, Raytheon, and Sandia Labs..its no secret.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15320
Is there anyone who thinks it is a secret?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14186
WTF....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us