Can anyone help?

Username: Zachsmom1995

Post Number: 1
Didn't know where else to post this. Does anyone know if it possible for someone to access and buy PPV from our cable from another house? We have had PPV ordered and the cable company says it is being bought from the remote control. No one in our house has ordered them. Just want to know if the cable company is full of crap. They won't reimburse my money.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 13871
Do you have a phone line attached to the back of your cable box? Is that line tapped into outside somewhere?

They said from the remote????

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 345
sounds like bullshit to me - i dont know anything about it but i would be mad as well

Post Number: 2
We have a cable phone line too. I don't know where it is plugged into.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 13873
If they fail to investigate tell them to come take the equipment out and cancel. That usually shakes them up enough to move.

When I had Dish Network the ape who installed it didn't tighten the mounting bracket to my dish properly. The first wind storm we had blew my dish straight down. No picture. Nothing. I called them up and they said they would be delighted to send someone out to tighten it within the next couple of days, for a $100 fee.

WHAT??!! $100 to tighten a bolt??

Very calmly I instructed them to not come out and tighten the bolt but to cancel my account, I was ordering Directv. Immediately she changed her tune and had someone out ther the next day for free.

A month later I got Directv anyway. Fug em. When there's competition there shouldn't be sacrifices.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3451
Do you have kids? or a randy Husband? Maybe live in an apartment that picks up the neigbors? Have the cable company put a block on it, or use the parental controls and do it yourself.

Post Number: 3
I did have parental controls set up after the first time. My pin was changed. I didn't have them on before then. No one knew the pin except for me. My husband didn't want to know it. I have tried searching the web for information to know if it is possible so I can give them that information. I have had no luck.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3452
"Zachsmom1995"

My guesse is Zach, your 13 year old son is doing it.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5955
^^^x2 what channels are being purchased?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6347
But how would he get the pin?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5956
maybe she picked something easy, like a birthday or something like that. maybe phone number, house number. that would be my first guess.

Post Number: 4
Not to be offensive, but I didn't ask for anyones opinions on who was doing it. I know it is just me saying it, and you don't know me from Adam, but no one in my house did it. I did not have any easy pin. It was no ones birthday or something like that. It was a totally random number. Do you know how many combinations of 4 digits there are? Do you think a 12 year old is going to sit there and work at it for that long? I can't even get him to sit and do homework for 10 minutes. I asked if anyone new if it was possible to access PPV from an outside source. If you don't know, just say you don't.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15132
No offense taken and hope that you will take none yourself.

Yes, I believe you underestimate your kids' intelligence, tenacity and patience in taking on a challenge to get what they want and that type of naivete is keeping you from seeing the big picture.

I think you just don't want to see what is right there in front of you and choose to believe that somehow somewhere a neighbor had access to your remote and order PPV channels by using your remote with your private PIN Number and then somehow transmit the PPV to their own TV sets.

Or could it be that it is someone in your own home who observed you put in your PIN number? It does not have to be observed all at once you know? The culprit only needs 4 opportunities.

Which scenario do you think is more plausible?

Oh and there only 10,000 possible permutations on a 4 digit PIN code, that is not a lot.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15133
With that said, your cable company is not full of crap, and they will not re-imburse you for a service that was ordered in your home using your remote with your PIN number.

Unless you can investigate where your cable lines are and if they are connected to another home or someone else tapped into your cables, then there is a chance, albeit very small. And if that happened and you found out who was stealing cable from you, turn them in and you will get a monetary reward.

Post Number: 5
No offense taken. These have all been ordered when my son has been at school or during the middle of the night when I am in the same room that the DVR is in. So I would know if it was being ordered. Also, after I did the pin, nothing has been ordered here. My cable company told me of a case where an ex husband was ordering PPV at his ex wifes home just by walking up to her window and using his remote. If someone is spliced into my cable would it work in their house if that is how it is done? A technician came to my home on Friday to check everything and in the back where the main box is there is a cable line running from it to neighbors house behind me. He wouldn't take the cover off of the box to check where it was leading to. I am trying to get it investigated. Even if I do take the cover off I don't have a clue what I am looking at. Also, it isn't in my yard and I'm not having the police called on me. I didn't want to get into the details of everything that is going on with it. I just wanted to see if it was possible from an outside source.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15139
If someone is spliced into your cable, it would work in their house. All they need is their own cable box and you can buy those just about anywhere....but if it is protected by a PIN, then it would be a little difficult but not impossible (remember those permutations).

That box you are referring to could also be just a junction, where other subscribers are connected so it is not a tell tale sign that someone is stealing cable from you. However, it is not common practice for a junction to be in someone's property. The fact that the technician did not look deeper is suspect. He could be in on a scam, but again hard to tell.

Your cable company should have a hotline that you can call.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us