Samsung DLP 50 inch TV Problem

Username: Atayloract3

Post Number: 1
I have had a Samsung DLP TV for 3 years. Recently the TV picture has gone to all black, sometimes within an hour of turning on the set. Sometimes it will come back into view within a few seconds, other times the set will turn itself off completely. A few minutes later I can turn it on and it will conitnue to work until the next time it happens. Thanks for all your help.

Bronze Member
Username: Tvtroublesolution

San Diego, California USA

Post Number: 37
Hi John,

It sounds it could be the lamp, but before that, check if you have any one of these symptoms:

>Buzzing, humming or rapid clicking sounds
If you do have one of these then your ballast may be malfunctioning

>Loud screeching, whining, or winding sounds
>Poor color, under saturated or over saturated
>Black & white picture
>The picture is intermittently in color and black & white
>The picture is showing the wrong color
>The TV starts to vibrate
If you have one of these then your color wheel may be faulty

>Audio with no picture
>Picture gets dimmer
>TV turns of after a couple of minutes
If you have one of these then your lamp may be defective

The lamp works with mercury gas so it has a lifespan of 6000 hours in average. If your television is more than 2 years old and if you haven't changed the lamp... then most likely it is defective

Check this link to learn more on the bulb:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/how-dlp-works-like-magic-a/141.html

Also: Check the front panel to see if the lamp indicator turns red or if the temperature light is the only one lighting up, if so then the TV may be overheating, cleaning the air filters should fix that.

This article has tips on extending the lamps lifespan:
http://www.fixyourdlp.com/blog/2007/04/07/how-to-extend-the-life-of-your-dlp-lcos-sxrd-hd-ila-or-lcd-tv-lamp-intuitive-guide/

This website has the lamp video replacement guide for the Samsung DLP, your lamp code is on the back of the TV or you can also find it in the lamp enclosure: http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/guides.php

Here is a picture of how your DLP TV works:

Upload

I hope this information helps. Good Luck.

Username: Pjmaster

United Kingdom

Post Number: 9
Hi Aaron Taylor,

This was a very useful post by Robert Augustus. Most of the problem which are caused in viewing are due to problem in lamp and sometimes due to color wheel. But in your case its definitely the lamp. How many hours the bulb has passed? The avg lamp life is about 4000-6000 hrs. Check out this link for very cheap priced lamps;

http://www.projectorlampsworld.com

Username: Atayloract3

Post Number: 2
I replaced the light bulb after the original had 6600 hours. It worked fine for about two months. Now the TV will turn itself off after about 5 minutes of viewing.

Username: Cbslewis

Houston, Tx

if you remove the lamp housing and turn on the tv(plug it in and hold the switch up) should you see the color wheel turning? also i checked the ballast for 380 vdc almost nothing? is this a color wheel thing or a balllast thing?

Username: Chavo3000

I purchased a 50 inch DLP tv from Frys in Austin Texas approximately 3 years ago. After 1 year the color wheel went out and had to be replaced. The extended warranty covered the in-home repairwork. The tech left me an extra DLP bulb replacement included with the purchase of the extended service plan. About a year after that, I replaced the free bulb. Just last month, after less than 2 years later I had to purchase another DLP bulb because of the tv would not power up. lastly, my screen is now deteriorating. I have 3 pixel spots that show white light. As if someone fired a BB gun through it, leaving a white hole. I am really disappointed in this product. BTW I was recently notified via US MAIL that a class action lawsuit has been filed against SAMSUNG on behalf of everyone who purchased a SAMSUNG DLP tv. I plan to submit my complaint as well. Supposedly SAMSUNG will be required to replace the inferior DLP product with an LCD or PLASMA equivalent size and equal price. I will post more info about this after I submit my information to SAMSUNG.

Username: Chavo3000

I called Samsung about the aforementioned problem today. My tv is not experiencing the shadow effect, its just the pixel/screen deterioration. The SAMSUNG rep explained that this class action settlement didnt cover the pixel problem only the shadow effect. I was pretty hyped up and demanded to speak to a Supervisor. I was transferred to a gentlemen who explained to me that the DMB board was the problem and that I was responsible for the repair costs. I told him that this DLP product was inferior to any other TV model that I had purchased in the past. The TV is just over 3 years old and in my opinion is a piece of junk. I told the SAMSUNG rep that I would deliver to the TV to SAMSUNG/AUSTIN and leave it there for one of their employee's or managers to take home with them. Because I didnt want it anymore. I also threatened to call the local news station to offer them my story. I told him that I'd been on the internet blogs and that there are thousands of stories just like mine. The Rep emphatized with me.....and recommended that everyone who is having these sorts of problems to call SAMSUNG at 1-800-627-4368 to document their issue. He explained that if enough people called in SAMSUNG would address the problem. Until then if you purchased a SAMSUNG DLP TV and it is experiencing problems, you have just been ripped off and stuck with a crappy TV. Unless you pay to fix it yourself.

Username: Runningman69

I have been experiencing everything the aforementioned!! Mine is about 3 years old and bought it from Circuit City in Killeen Tx. I will call this number because I refuse to deal with a piece of crap TV. My wife has already paid over 500 dollars because of a stupid bulb that went out while I was in Iraq. you bet i wil be calling. thanks for the information.

Username: Morfee

my 50 inch samsung just crapped out dlptv 2 and a half years old bought at best buy. Red and green lights flashing. Won,t come on. Tries about 5 times then just leaves lights fllashing.Is it lamp? Where do i file class action lawsuit? mike. Edmonton canada.

Username: Prasada

Hi,
I've a SONY 60inch DLP TV - KDF 60 XS955, bought in 2004 and has given me excellent service till recently. From the past 6 months there have been lot of blue pixels growing on the screen with small blue shade patches in the corners, and now just few days ago a kind of a big patch appears in the middle of the screen, whose color is of different shade, and am still able to use the TV.

Before I replace the lamp, I just wanted to know if this really is a lamp problem or some thing else. Please suggest.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1834
NOT a lamp problem with the Sony.
First, they are also NOT DLP. I think your set is projection LCD. The plastics used to cover the LCD modules is similar to that used on auto headlight covers. And you've seen what happens to them after a decade in the sun...yellow'd and such.

Call Sony and give them a try. Sony has settled at least 1 class-action lawsuits that I know of and maybe more. You may get the 'offer' which will probably be the choice of one of several sets at a pretty steep discount and all for agreeing to just forget the last set. Sony will want some numbers and proof of defect, too. A picture of your screen will do and the numbers are on the back panel....serial number should work.

My SXRD still works fine....knock on wood.

Username: Johnny_long

I also have a samsung 62" dlp model # HLN617WX/XAA. The problem I'm having is after an hour of run time I get bright flashes on the screen. Almost like a cheap horror flicks special effect for lightning. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Username: Crayger

We bought the 50"Samsung DLP in 2004. And have owned maybe 5 or 6 others as well since but the DLP still has a superior screen. Everyone always say that the pic is one of the best. As we just moved 4 months ago, the tv has had issues. At 1st (when we moved) it would work but once in a while it would try to go on (we could hear the audio) then when the pic was to come on it would go silent, go to a blue screen and say "no signal". I would unplug the HDMI converter and the DVI cable and blow them out, plug back in and all was good........for a while. Now that doesn't even work. I just called a technician and he said that it was a module "motherboard", common on this tv and would cost almost $400. As I could buy a new unit for $1500-$2000, and after reading the forum we are kinda worried that it may be more then that. We thought that it was the DVI port. ANYONE ELSE HAD THE BLUE SCREEN "NO SIGNAL" ISSUE?

Gold Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1079
I'm back!

I used to post here all the time. Thought I'd drop by and say hello. I've been a Samsung DLP owner since 2004 when the first 1080P came out. I see DLP is fading into history, but I just replaced my second Phillips lamp and the pic is just like new...I mean stunning. Don't know what to make of these low life lamp hour claims....I'm getting just over 20,000 continuous hours per lamp. (BP96-01472A) The trick is not to turn the the damn thing off and on! Anyway....don't forget to suck the dust outa your fans one a year and all should be fine til she melts down... and we get ourselves a shiney new LED tv.

Username: Kaa

I have a 6 year old HLR6167XAA. I was having problems with the set shutting down after a while, restarting, displaying abnormal picture patterns. Then I had a bad double power surge and that caused the set to display no picture. It turns out I had two problems that I fixed myself.

The power surge damaged the ballast board. On ebay I bought one for $60. I got the picture back but with all of the other problems. (I now have the unit plugged into a battery back-up surge protector to keep this from happening again).

However the picture problems were caused by the digital board going bad. Apparently "reflowing" the solder on this board can solve this. WIth Instructions that I found on another chat board, I removed the board. I sent it to JD Electronics in Michigan. For a total of $70 installed the fixed board and the set is as good as new. Call JD Electronics they know all about this and can be very helpful.

Username: Crayger

We had the work done for the $400 2 weeks ago and it seems as good as new. It was the module motherboard. Money well spent as we were going to toss it.

Username: Junepinto

Did you go for an extended warranty for your TV. That's more advisable to have an extended warranty in this situation.

cps extended warranty

Username: Jrbain

My Samsung DLP HL-T6176 was on and our very young niece cleand up while we were out. We came back and the picture is not as bright. We do not know is someone changed the settings or there was a change in the TV on its own.

What should I do?

Bronze Member
Username: Craigdlp50

California

Post Number: 11
Two months after the warranty ran out on my 2007 HLT5076 it was shutting down. I effectively complained to Samsung and through some tribulation (due to the fact there was no authorized service tech in my area) they sent me a new ballast and lamp which I put in myself. Been working fine since then until a few days ago when I got the white dot syndrome. Called Samsung and they will do a one-time free repair for the white dot issue on my model. I have read others comment that their model wasn't on the "problem list" so no free repair. If you have the white dot problem, call Samsung Support and see if you're covered.

Bronze Member
Username: Craigdlp50

California

Post Number: 12
A problem I have not resolved is a faint horizontal line scrolling up the screen. I was told it was due to an HDMI device causing interference. Sure enough, I unplugged my JVC blue-ray and no more line. Anyone know how to fix this?

Bronze Member
Username: Aymantn

Post Number: 26
This is a symptoms of an inverter board problem or a some bad capacitors on the power supply.
take a look at this LCD monitor repair tutorial, that my help you :

Username: Amordor

Illinois United States

I have a Toshiba 62HM116 DLP TV. Went on extended vacation and unplugged the TV. When I returned and plugged in the TV, the yellow LED flashed 3 times repeatedly. I can't power it on (blue LED). According to troubleshooting guide, yellow blinking LED says "In LPS mode (standby with Quick Restart ON).
Unplugged/plugged in again several times to no avail. No success in powering it up. Replaced lamp. No change. Disconnected ALL attached devices and tried to power up. No luck. Is this a ballast, colorwheel, etc. issue?
Any help is much appreciated to this newcomer! Thank you!

Username: Elvenqueen1

Hi all, i am having a problem with my samsung dlp tv model# HL-s6186
first it was flickering white with some color and would shut off with the 3 lights blinking
i figured it was the lamp so i changed that , i also changed the dlp chip because it was bad and had dots.
Now after everything is fixed the tv wont come on, it has 2 blinking lights- standby and timer,no fans are coming on
and the lamp is not coming on either. can someone please help. is it the ballast or the power?
thanks~}}
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us