Sony 60" SXRD KDS-R50XBR1, replaced the bulb but no red color? advice please?

Username: Swindon44

Post Number: 1
The picture degraded to having no red, I Replaced the bulb and the got the same result, I scrolled through all video settings and no luck, is there a deeper issue that I am not aware of? The Color is awful it is now almost all grays with a little yellow and blue. Any help and advice appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3112
Bulb produces ALL colors and won't selectively stop making any of 'em�.red in your case.

Most frequent problem with the SXRD sets is the Light Engine which used cheap plastic filters which do the same thing as your plastic headlight covers on your car�which is to say they yellow / crack /craze and otherwise go to h*ll.

That is my take away from your use of 'degraded'�.the problem didn't just suddenly appear.

You MIGHT have a problem with one of the color circuits.
Did the color go all at once or gradually? All at once means some electronic problem in the color seperation circuitry. Gradual is the way the color filters go out.
Light engines are available from rebuilders, but as far as I know will EVENTUALLY have the same problem as the original�not having used any better parts in the rebuild.
Call 'em and ASK about the new filter parts.

If it's the light engine, strip it out and sell to a rebuilder. They might give you 75$ for it�..than put the money toward a PanaSonic Plasma, if you can still find one NEW.

Post a picture of your screen….and than go find some pictures of others with degraded light engines.

Username: Swindon44

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the response. I will try the color filters approach. I seemed to go gradually as though it were a lamp issue, the picture is good other than the lack of red? How is it the old TVs last for years and the newer more expensive ones are crap?
Picture attached for anyone's comments. As you can see the lack of color definition on items in the background is apparent.Upload

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3115
Lamp will lose BRIGHTNESS over time and then simply Cease to Function. 7000 hours PLUS should be normal.
Colors typically won't shift as the lamp ages.

You MIGHT want to go to youtube and check out the disassembly videos for your particular model. Sony sets are very well put together and my ONE experience with 'em found it to be easy to work on. Just all those darn PLUGS�.with which you MUST be careful.

Sony LOST 2 or 3 class action lawsuits concerning this set due to inferior filters used in the light engine.
If someone has heat-proof glass, that's the way to go.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us