Samsung DLP TV shuts off

Username: Kawananicol

Post Number: 1
I have a Samsung 56" DLP. Recently the tv just shut off, we assumed it was the bulb, we replaced the bulb and problem persists. I searched the posts and checked that the blue switch was in the down position, and that there wasn't a speck of dust anywhere inside the tv. Now the tv will turn on for 25-30 mins. when it does shut off the fan continues to run, its been 2 days and the fan is still running. The lights on the front are flashing. When the tv is on, there is not a problem with the picture or sound. it works perfectly for a few mins then it turns off and the fans stay on. PLEASE help, i barley watch the tv, maybe 1-5 hrs a month. when the problem initally happened we were playing xbox kinect. it was holiday season so the step-kids were there and the tv was on for almost 12hrs a day... smh! Those 2 weeks aside, we only watch that tv if there is company. Please give me some suggestions to try, i don't want to replace the whole tv only to find out its a simple part to fix or whatever.... THANKS

Username: Jmbeam

Oswego, NY United States

Post Number: 2
What is your model number?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2686
What is the 'code' and possibly the color of the flashing lights?
How do you reset it? unplug and replug?
The flashing light code can help figure out what is the problem.
But, it sounds like it THINKS it is over heating. That the fan doesnt' shut off is a hint. Also, you may have a defective fan switch. 30 minutes may be a little long for a heat problem, but maybe not...

I'd suggest a shop visit. But FIRST figure out what the flashing lights mean. Check your manual or find one online.
Don't open it up without unplugging for an hour or longer first. Dangerous voltages live inside the set and they can reach out and bite you....severely. Capacitors can hold a charge for perhaps days which will render you room temp in an instant. Be Careful.

At 5 hours / month, that set should go years, even with all the known DLP problems before it checks out.

Username: Kawananicol

Post Number: 2
Jmbeam i will upload the model number when i get home. @leo, i haven't plugged the tv in since i got home the morning after i made this post over a month ago... so hopefully its cooled down. I reset the lamp timer after i replaced it. is the fan switch something i can replace on my own? I called around about it, and someone said that its more than likley my color wheel.
Does the tv picture show if the wheel is bad? again when the tv is working, it works perfectly. I will ensure the wheel is spinning properly when i get home. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2693
If the picture is perfect, the color wheel is OK.
However, when it warms......All the symptoms I hear about the wheel indicate a real bearing noise...howling or whatever.
If it IS something as simple as a temp sensor/switch, keep in mind that the color wheel will go sometime soon, anyway.

There also maybe a remote method of doing a hard reset. Pressing multiple keys than enter...or however. It won't be obvious, you'll have to research that one, too.

I would also be thinking 'worst case scenario'. Keeping in mind how failure prone these sets are and your low usage, I'd set a 'not to exceed figure' for repair in my mind. If the repair exceeds your number, sell it to someone who wants the problems. Than move on to a Panasonic Plasma. They seem to be the LEAST failure prone set made today. That could change tomorrow. Look at the picture carefully and play with the controls in the store.

I'd start with the flashing light 'code' when the set fails and go from there. It'll be like this:
Blink Blink Blink....space....blink blink blink......and on
The code is ref'd in the book which I know you still have....or available online.

IF you have the old buld w/housing, try that one back in the set. If it does the same thing, it ain't the bulb.
Darn kids and there video games! Hey! that's ME.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us