Panasonic DMR-E85 Locks Up on "Please Wait"

Username: Bbyrd

Post Number: 1
I have searched far and wide researching this error but have not read what afew others discovered with this problem their solution.

1. Power up DMR-E85 stops with message "Please Wait"
2. no fan is running.

Seems to me this may be a board problem. I mention this because I removed the Samsung disk drive and replaced with a old hard drive and experienced the same problem. I powered up the DMR-E85 without a hard drive connected and experienced the same error message.

There are afew people that have seen this error on other forums but never updated what they eventually found to be the problem. One metioned the hard drive needed replacing and another message included to also replace the power supply.
I have not located the power supply but seems I would not see the message "PLease Wait" if a bad power supply.

Can someone share any experience with this error ?
thanks,
bbyrd

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1191
I got the same unit Bob
It drives me crazy when it does that
Call Panasonic cuz this model has this problem
They completely discontinued this model for unknown reasons

What i did is unplug from power cord and reboot
It did pickup after few attempts

I use 120 G HDD
How big is your hard drive?

Username: Bbyrd

Post Number: 2
The hard drive size is 120gb. The unit is dead in the water. No matter what I try it just says "Please Wait". I would go out and buy another drive if I knew that would work. But I tried using a old drive sitting around and that did not work. I suppose the old drive could be bad too. Circuit city will take it and send to Atlanta Ga to see if it can be fixed . They do not have a clue. I already have a newer model Panasonic so it's not like I'm without but this unit is just over 2 years old. Would like to salvage it without spending too much.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1194
I don't think is the hard drive

Many times it did this to me I pressed DVD cuz it should work as a DVD player after it gave me hard time starting it finally did

It happened to me few times later but now it seems to be fine.

Username: Octasan

I just finished fixing my DMR-E85H with "PLEASE WAIT" error. My unit turned on and just display that message. Its the second time this model broke and the first time was repaired by authorized dealer from Panasonic.
This time decided to experiment and if its gone juts get a new one. To my surprise, after disassembly the hard drive noticed two Capacitors (16v 680mf) from the Power supply located under Hard Drive were busted (top brusted open). I found on a old Satellite receiver those two components and proceed to salvage and replace them.
The problem was solved!!!!.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Username: Jazzguy1233

DetroitUSA

I concur with the previous post. In fact thank you, I think your post led me to the working solution. I fixed my DVD Recorder, it turned out to be a power supply issue. There are two capacitors that fail in the power supply (the power supply is located under the hard drive holding bracket). I easily observed the failed capacitors because they appeared slightly bloated, with a slight leakage of substance on the top. By replacing them with spares de-soldered from a functioning but useless electronic device, I was able to completely restore my unit. So, with a basic knowledge of DC Circuits and fair soldering skills, I have resurrected my recorder.

The "Please Wait" message is caused by the hard drive not spinning up. Most people would naturally assume this is a bad hard drive, but even bad hard drives spin up (they just make lots of bad noises if they are failing). The issue was that the power supply was not delivering the proper power to the hard drive. Don't replace your hard drive, you will lose your recordings. Test the power first.

If you are not comfortable or electronic circuit savoy, then you can get your unit fixed for a flat rate of $130 by Panasonic. There is a special number to call:

1-888-439-2676
Panasonic Service Center
1590 Touhly Ave
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

Another post had this number, 1-847-468-5543, but when I called them, they gave me the above information.

Good luck. Considering the unavailability of any other units like this on the market, and the high price of buying one used, I think that $130 flat rate is fair (not great) deal.

I also replied this same answer to another similar post:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=204006

Username: Lotusracer

I did this power supply board repair on my 3 year old DMR E85 a year ago, and it's been rock solid since. Disassembly and repair is relatively simple, especially if you check this site for some tips:
http://vassfamily.net/projects/DMRE85H/dmre85h.html

Username: Plaza64

I have the DMR E85 for 4 years, of course the contract ran out and so did my remote. Ordered a new remote from Panasonic and that cost me $50.00 plus. Then a week later I get on my DVD PLEASE WAIT. I did everything possible but PLEASE WAIT just stayed and I could not shut the DVD off. Bought it at PC RICHARD and they fixed it. It was the capacitor or capacitors. ALL FIXED and I will be getting it back by FRIDAY March 19, 2010. Cost was $25.00 up front at PC Richard and it was picked up from their store to go out to FARMINGDALE. The capacitors cost $53.28. I guess it could have been worse. I was ready to get a DVR BOX FROM CABLE. THE MACHINE WAS Expensive to buy, however, great machine but I will not put anymore money into it.

Expensive to buy? Turns out I bought mine in very early 2005 (not 2006 like I previously posted) for right around $275 from Amazon with no tax and free shipping.

I replaced those capacitors myself for around $15 in 2008 and the machine has been rock solid again since. I love this thing. Still using the original remote too.

Username: Plaza64

My DMR E85 at PC RICHARD cost around $500.00. My children first bought me a regular DVD RECORDER but it could not record a lot of shows. So they returned it and I was not going to let them pay the price for a DVD HARD DRIVE RECORDER. My husband and I paid half the price. You certainly got a good deal. I just hope when I get it back from PC RICHARD that I get many more years out of it. If not, then I will have no choice but to give cable more money for their DVR box.

Username: Hallozandy

Thank you for the post it was very useful. I have Panasonic DMR E85 stuck in the (please wait) for more than 6 months until i saw this post and exactly was two Capacitors (16v 680uf) under the hard drive. They were leaking and blotted. I orderd the 2 capacitor on the link below for $0.60 each (you need two). it is very simple take less than 15 munite but pay attention for how do you disassemble the DVD to be able to put it back (I recommend a digital camera if it is your first time. good luck.
Order the parts here:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=020-1712

Username: Fanof3

It is not the hard drive, and it is not expensive to fix. You can take it to Sears repair and it costs about $75.00 parts and labor. It is 2 capacitors that go bad. They will replace those and when you get it back it works like new and anything on your hard drive will still be there.

Username: Fanof3

It is not the hard drive, and it is not expensive to fix. Sears will fix it for about $75.00 and it will work like new and anything on your hard drive will still be there.

Don't send it to Panasonic...Sears is cheaper and you don't have to pay shipping. I have two of these units....one for the living room and one for the bedroom. The one I have had for years I have had to have this issue fixed once...and I just bought a used one that had the same problem...so I took it to Sears again because they are reasonable on the cost. It takes a few weeks though...because they ship these to their Chattanooga shop. But it is well worth it! Panasonic does not make these anymore...why I don't know....because it is the best device ever for recording shows , being able to take out commercials, and downloading the TV guide.

@Ed I did the same thing with my original model...bought it from Amazon for around $275 with free shipping. What a bargain! The only way to get these models now is to find one on Ebay used.

Username: Ccausey

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 08:58 pm:
My E85 H was not used for about three years. All I remember was it did not do what I expected. I have recently connected it to a HD Sharp TV in my garage and strange things started to happen. First I got the Please Wait followed by a Self Check and the unit display showed HDD. Nothing more and nothing else worked no TV display, the remote did not work. Fast forward to Day 3. My Panasonic remote would now turn on my Sharp TV and change channels with Channel up or down only but I could not turn it off. Day 4 disconnecting the power from the wall outlet and reinserting now caused a startup and HDD, Channel 2, and Guide were on the unit display. I manually turned the unit off and time displayed. Something is definitely working in the background because the Time was the correct time. The TV works through the E85. I have used both the coaxial cable and an audio/video cable - Audio/Video cable is used from Out 1 to the TV. Question: What can I do to get a TV Display from the E85. I am an old retired soldier - WWII, Korea, Vietnam - so you have an idea of my advanced age. Please give it the old KISS method which is "Keep It Simple".

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4559

quote:

What can I do to get a TV Display from the E85.?

Very simple
On the remote there is an input selector (button). It goes L-1, L-2, L-3, Tuner
4 different input selctors. Keep pressing input until you see display on your screen

The Panasonic E85 is pain in the but when you remove the power manually. If you do. let it do it's thing leave it for several minutes it will powerup on it's own. Just try to avoid removing A/C cord at all times. There has been a recall on this device to replace 2 capacitors. But will work without if you don't mess with the A/C

Another thing
If you connect the cable coax to unit tuner. Turn off the device from the remote and within 24 hours it will pickup the guide and time on it's own
You may have to setup the unit with your Zipcode and turn it off for 24 hours

I have 3 of these units, I use them for work. they don't make them anymore. I love it. Best device to make High Speed DVDs and edit commercials out.

Thank you King Tapeman. I tried your suggestion and got the same disappointing results. Today the unit showed it's usual HDD, Channel 2, and Guide. I pressed TV Guide on the remote and got an error message R166.11. I will open the case this weekend and check the capacitors. Anything else I should do while in there? Thanks for your help.

Post Number: 3
To any who have changed, or are considering changing the leaky capacitors, you might make note that the web page about it at: http://vassfamily.net/projects/DMRE85H/dmre85h.html has changed to say that using the "Radio Shack" caps will turn your unit into a fire hazard. Mine has operated for nearly 3 years like that... however, I just found the "correct" capacitors at Digikey.com for $ .81 each!

Go here: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=US&WT.z_homepa ge_link=hp_go_button&KeyWords=493-1585-nd&x=24&y=15

Just in case that link doesn't work, their part number is: 493-1585-ND

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4326
Capacitors should ALWAYS be replaced with the same value caps. You can go over on the voltage and in most cases they will last longer if you do. If the caps are brown they are high temp and if possible shouild be replaced with high temps.

Post Number: 3
I looked inside the unit today and could not see the symptoms of bloated or leaking capacitors. I buttoned it up Restarted and get the R166 11 error code. Can anyone decipher the code for me?
I have searched the internet and get referred back to my posts. Am I the only E85 owner with an R166 problem. I just want to know what I am up against. Thank you Ed and David for your input.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4328
Capacitors can be bad without any physical signs of wear. In fact, the vast majority of caps I've replaced showed no signs of being bad. I've never heard of that code on a Panasonic.

If you can find a capacitor tester somewhere it will tell you if the caps are bad. You should always short the cap leads before connecting to a tester to keep from damaging it.

Username: Dholtzmann

Order 4 of each of these. Spend $10 or less including shipping and bam! They are on the power supply. 4 of the 680uf and 2 of the 1500uf.
My Panasonic is back to life. It first said """""wait"""""" for several days. Would still work sometimes. Then, it went dead. Nothing.
Pulled out power supply from under the hard drive. Desoldered, resoldered. Thanks to this website, our family is sooo happy.

Here are the links from Digi-Key. Cheap and fast. I used postal mail (cheap option). Received in 3 days.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P14396-ND

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=P14396-ND

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 577
I just replaced a 2200uf capacitor located near the transformer inside my Cyberhome DVD player.

I ordered the capacitors on eBay. $4.50 for two.

The symptom was that the DVD would turn off immediately whenever I pushed the button to open the tray to put in DVD to play.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us