Dish/LNB Boosting Signal Question

Bronze Member
Username: Variuscr

Post Number: 36
Hi all,

I am located in Costa Rica and when Dish Network launched their new 119 satellite, I could no longer reach its smaller footprint. Thus, I switched to 129W instead. I get the majority of channels there, but two that I would really like, USA Network and SyFy, I can't get any signal. According to lyngsat, here is their info on 129:

12355 L
tp 10
DVB
8PSK
SR 21500
FEC 2/3

My dish is already 265cm and I just got it a few months ago, so don't plan to upgrade to larger anytime soon as it cost me quite a bit.

Is there any way to boost the signal the dish receives to be able to reach that transponder? I understand there are devices to boost the signal from the Dish to the Receiver, but don't think that will solve my problem - or would it ?

Any thoughts/help appreciated!

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 14438
Varius

I use a signal booster to get better signal and it work but this thing help only if you have a signal from this transponder and the picture freeze!

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 14439
This Tp on 129 is a spot beam, you will not get this Tp!

Try this one on 110W, you will get both channels:
Tp 7 12311 Vertical S/R 21500 FEC: 2/3

Silver Member
Username: Ei_toro_the_great

Post Number: 187
.Varius........... I understand there are devices to boost the signal from the Dish to the Receiver, but don't think that will solve my problem - or would it ?

I don't think so, an amplifier will only boost the signal lose
from the LNB to your receiver.

Why not move your Dish to Nimiq 5 at 72.7°W
much closer to your location

USA Network and SyFy are both on Freq. 12574 Pol.V
SR 21,500 FEC 2/3 Channels 105 & 122

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Ei_toro_the_great

Post Number: 188
Varius.....you said you have strong winds at you location
and this guy charge you $120.00 to come
out to re-align your dish
This Baby here will cost you $400.00 Big ones
Upload
but will find all the birds that are reachable
from your location

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 19392
129W signal (Conus) does not reach Costa Rica adequately and booster will probably not work. Your channels are on 72.7W (Nimiq 5). However they are still weak over Costa Rica. Therefore, I think that a signal booster (amplifier) would be a worth-while investment anyway. You will be able to boost some of the other sinals coming in and there is a small chance that the two required channels might come in also. If they do not, then you you can point to 72.7W, which, for a 8 ft Dish is a substancial undertaking.
Considering everything and to recapitulate:
1. Try a signal booster - about $30-70.
2. If unsussessful, study the lists of 129W and 72.7W and make sure that you do not mind losing some of the 129 channels that may not be there on 72.7W
3. If you decide to move the Dish, get a signal finder - a $30-$100 device is all that is needed. Also know that those two channels on 129 are true HD while the ones on 72.7 are mpeg-4. In fact you will be losing a lot of tru HD channels of 129, by making a move.
4. I don't know if there is a motor available for the monstrous dish you have.
You should consult Sadoun and see if it is advisable.
5. If you finally decise to move the Dish, instead of a motor, get two helpers and move the Dish, align it and use it with the signal amplifier in line in series.

Best of luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Thanks for the replies so far, here is some additional information though which complicates my situation:

Where I live, basically at the base of a mountain, I cannot point at 72.7W or 110W as there are massive tall trees blocking the line of sight. The guy who installed my dish let me know my only options were 119/129 (119 no longer).

Thus, I think that limits my options, unfortunately...

I guess I can still try a signal booster to see if I have any luck, since it's not a huge cost, as right now my receivers gets signal of about 60 (tested at the LNB it has signal 98-100). It's on a long cable to the receiver, so that may help?

Any recommendations as to the best booster to get, and should it be installed about half-way along the cable or ?

Thanks,

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 19401
Look at what is available from sadoun.com or at
the radioshack site

Bronze Member
Username: Pancho_vilia

Post Number: 19
Varius, why don,t you call Sun Sat TV and have them
add these two channels USA Network and SyFy
to your package?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Hombre: I'm not sure I understand how they can just "add" the channels my dish isn't capable of reaching ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Varius,sorry about that just trying to help.
if your Dish isn't capable of reaching the TP that
carries these two channels USA Network and SyFy
that are not in your footprint
what good would a booster do?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Hombre: that is what I was asking, if there was any other type of amplification possible, instead of inline boosting, to perhaps increase the radiation of the dish, so say my 265cm dish could "act like" a 500cm dish and then I could reach the tp

Silver Member
Username: Guru4u

El Centro, Cali Baby

Post Number: 318
Varius..Don't be so cheap...Just PoP for a 500cm Dish a STFU

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Varius
The way I see it you have two choices
If you are located in Santa Ana
call your Cable provider Amnet or Cabletica
to see if they carry these two channels USA Network and SyFy

or change you Dish to 4.5 meter prodelin $4495.00

Sorry, this is the best I have.

Username: Raulazarias

Post Number: 1
Hola Varius do you speak spanish? I have the same problem I am from San Jose, ilike to view TBS channel, my idea is move my dish to 72.7 but, I doubt if the satellite signal that covers Costa Rica? saludos.

Hola mi ingles es malo, no se si hablas español, tengo el mismo problema, el canal que a mi me encanta ver es TBS y lo perdi con el nuevo satelite 119, tengo planeado mover mi antena al 72.7 pero no se si la señal llegara, tengo una antena aproximado 2.5 metros y otras de 1.8 metros, el 110 lo tomo bien con 180cm, quiero saber si es factible con ese tamaño el 72.7, cualquier cosa me avisas saludos
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us