Direct TV > Non HD tv via component cables

Username: Mike100

Post Number: 2
Hello. I was wondering if anyone could reccomend the best component cables to hook up a non-HD tv to Direct TV. The television has a great picture with 'standard' component cables so my question is two-fold:

Will better quality cables give a better picture and if so, what manufacturer should I consider? I would also be connecting a DVD player and as a guide, would be willing to pay anything upto 75 bucks for each cable.

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4201
The only time you might need high priced cables is if you have long cable runs and/or you are getting interference in the picture. Save your money, it won't make any difference buying expensive cables.

Username: Mike100

Post Number: 3
Thanks David. After about six hours internet research, it seems the best connection for 'standard' tv is S Video so that is what I will go with. I also found plenty of evidence to suggest you are entirely correct and expensive cables will not help in my scenario.

The odd thing is, after connecting up my S Video cable i would swear the old picture with the RCA connection was better so I'm not exactly sure what I've acomplished but I do appreciate your response.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4202
Component and composite are two different things. Connections should be, in order of preference, component, s-video, composite. Wheather the picture will look better with one than the other depends on the manufacterer's implementation of the inputs. I've seen s-video make a big difference over composite and I've seen it make no difference whatsoever.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us