TV/SKY/DVD Recorder

Username: Mrh

Post Number: 1
Hello
My pensioner dad has got himself a new TV (LG 32" LM3010) and a DVD Recorder / Hard Drive (RHT 497H). He also has an existing SKY box (basic, not HD or '+'), where lies the problem. He (or should I say 'I'!) have connected the TV and DVD recorder as per the diagram in the manual via a HDMI cable as recommended by the man in the shop. It works fine, automatically setting itself up - the lot! But nowhere in the manual does it give any clues on how to introduce the SKY box into the equation. HELP!

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 200
What video+audio outputs are available on the SKY box?

Are you wanting to be able to record TV programs on the DVD recorder or is it strictly for playing DVDs?

Post Number: 2
I can check for sure later (the kit is at my parents address) - but - as far as I am aware there are a couple of scaarts on the sky box and/or whatever is standard. I think they will want to record to the hard drive AND record to DVD from both SKY and normal TV. Thanks for asking leee488, nice one, hope you can help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
I looked on the SKY website, and it says that the regular SKY box has 2 SCART outputs.

So, SCART1 can go to the TV and SCART2 can go to the DVD recorder with the HDMI going from the DVD recorder to the TV.

Post Number: 3
I will give it a go in the morning when I go over.

I love sites like this - where one person makes the effort to help out another for no other reason than the desire to be helpful.

Post Number: 4
Oh man! I had a look at the set up - it is sooooooo complicated! HDMI, SCARTs, Co Ax, ins, outs, shake it all abouts! And I thought I was techno-savvy! I think I must have been spoiled all these years being a Mac user where everything just tends to work. Is there any diagrams out there that I could follow?

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
They're just giving you a choice in how you can connect up the equipment. If the TV has a SCART in, just connect it to the SCART out of the Sky box. SImilarily for the Sky box to DVD recorder connection.

SCART has both video and audio.

Username: Dvd09

Post Number: 1
Hi
we are experiencing the same problem.
we can record from the freeview as built into the tv but not from sky onto DVD it records but nothing comes out.
I have read your previous posts and you recommended HDMI connection but I thought this type of connection was only for HD set top boxes not old sky boxes.

Would it be the case that an AV2 Decoder is required in order to solve the problem.
Be great if you could reply
cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
My previous answers are always in relation to the equipment at hand.

I have no idea what video+audio connections are on your DVD recorder and your TV, so an answer is impossible.

Username: Dvd09

Post Number: 2
fair enough
the LG dvd recorder has 1 scart and a AV2 Decoder jack and all the same as the other person
the Panasonic TV has an AV1 and 2 scart slots and 1 aerial slot
The sky box has 2 scart slots, rf aerial slot etc

does that help?
would be great if you could help
cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
You are using both Freeview which has the receiver built into the TV set itself and a separate Sky box to get your TV signals?

Do you have two satellite dishes with two separate RF cables ?

It is important thing to describe not only that a port is a SCART but whether it is an input or an output.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us