Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through November 15, 2005brucekai100
Archive through May 20, 2005cableguy100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 500
I guess the system you all live in doesn't scramble on demand channels, since I've read about this problem before. I would assume since you're able to view them now, upgrading your package to get additional channels shouldn't make them not work. I could be wrong, but it would make sense since you're able to view them now.

Unregistered guest
This is a great forum. I've just started looking at HDTV. A quick question for a newbie.

I've purchased a new plasma TV with an integrated HDTV tuner. I live in the greater East Bay area in the Bay Area SF region.

I have basic comcast cable now but can not receive the local broadcast HD stations like NBC, ABC, KQED, etc.

I called up comcast and they told me that I need to subscribe to HDTV service for an additional $5 per month. Since I don't want to use a set-top box, I will also need to get their CableCard installed to get these local HD broadcast stations.

Does this sound right ? Thanks !!!

Unregistered guest
Cable guy ........ I'm a tech for adelphia and would like to learn more about c c ... Seems I'm alway spending two to three hours at a customers home to do an install and can never get it to work. All the wiring is new and I always change and recheck the splitters.. Now I been told by Sony for instance its a signal to noise problem and told by S.A. its a firmware problem. My supervisors dont have a clue is info out there????

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 505
Charlie, the info is out there, the bigger question is can you access it? The answer is usually no.
As to why you are spending so much time out there, been there done that early on. Been dealing with these things since July of 2004, it gets better once you learn all the quirks. What I can tell you in public is very simple:
  • Check your forward data carrier
  • Make sure the levels are as close to 0dB as possible. Anything lower then -15 is out of spec, but I don't like to work have levels below -10 at any cost
  • The SNR diagnostic on the Sony is a usefull tool, you shouldn't see your InBand SNR on a Sony any lower then 29, 30-38 works best
  • Keep the lines feeding the TV you are dealing with as clean and free of multiple splits as possible. In other words if you have a 3 way splitter feeding to another splitter, I usually put a 2-way splitter in, one leg feeds the CCTV the other leg feeds the other splitters.
  • Normal cable trouble shooting skills apply for picture problems.
  • Making sure the account is coded properly and all signal levels are where they should be, you should have a working CC
If you ever want to email me and ask some questions, please use the ecoustic message option.

As for the firmware issue SA is claiming, it all depends on the model of Sony, and what errors are happening. Every TV has the potential to have firmware/software/hardware whatever problems, they are essentially computers and can have bugs,glitches,breakdowns. Do you know what firmware version Adelphia is running on the SA in your system? I don't work for them so clueless as to your systems processes and equipment. I can tell you I've never met a CC TV I couldn't get working. Sometimes it was a signal related issue, sometimes it was an account coding issue. Other times it was a faulty CC, or there was a problem with the TV itself. The more you deal with them and learn what makes them tick, the better things get. There have been firmware updates to the SA CC, I believe 3 since it was introduced. All the different TV's out there have had their issues as well, software/firmware/hardware, each is different from the other, yet similarities exist.

Keep digging for the answer, it will take you far in your job. I'm sure, like what happened here, was one day you came to work and here was this brand new piece of equipment to install and nobody had trained you on it huh? I would wager your supervisor is looking for somebody to step up and be the "one guy" that knows about what is going on with these things. It could be you, if you apply yourself. If there is somebody there that has dealt with them more then you, get your heads together and learn from your experiences. I have had great resources to help me along the way, it helps but the bottom line is you never know what you're in for, until you show up and start working.
Keep in touch

i hate comcast
Unregistered guest
bws, you can receive the local HD channels for free if you just get a CABLECard from Comcast. If you subscribe to digital classic you get the ESPN, Discovery, INHD 1 and 2, and HDSE channels as well. I was able to go to the Richmond Comcast store, pick up a cable card and install it myself. This saves you the $5/month for the HD STB, and $16 for the installation fee.

NB
Unregistered guest
But if you already have a STB/DVR/HD box downstairs, will they just GIVE you the CC for the new TV upstairs with out adding charges (for an additional STB/CC)

I hate them too :-)

joachim
Unregistered guest
Philips 50PF7320A w/ Comcast Cable Card not working. Installed the tv myself without Cable Card a few days ago (antenna is connected directly to Comcast cable feed) and was able to see the usual analog channels in the basic service as well as KQED in HD. So far so good.

Had Comcast come over today to install a Cable Card (they wouldn't let me pick it up in the store and do it myself). Net result, it doesn't work. If you try set up the Cable Card it goes into 'Hunting for Network Data' status to never come back (at least not within 15 minutes).

Does anybody have any experience with this setup? I already loaded the latest patch from Philips into the tv ...

joachim
Unregistered guest
Its working! Well, I guess if you just wait long enough either it starts working by itself or somebody at Comcast figures out what needs to be done in the network. The tv still doesn't know how to find the channels or what channel is what, but I can watch them all. May be I just need to wait a bit longer.

Unregistered guest
Newbie, I purchased a tv with the high definition tuner. What are the benefits of this over the HD ready set? I have comcast, what do I need to get high definition to the tv?

Unregistered guest
I currently pay for Charter High Speed Internet and found that I get basic cable tv automatically from the cable plug. (channels 0-99) Now I just bought a Philips Plasma HDTV, is there any way to improve the picture quality of television broadcasts on this tv without ordering Charter Cable services and paying a high monthly fee? Can I somehow purchase a cable card and not incur a monthly fee?

Futron
Unregistered guest
Will I be able to access the local HD channels on Comcast Basic (analog) service with a CableCard? My TV has a QAM tuner and is currently not picking up any of the local HD stations.

probin the south
Unregistered guest
Cableguy,
Is the cable company required to give me a CableCard or can they choose to give me a STB or CC? I am being told that they are sending my one but they may not have one that works with my tv (Toshiba 46HM95) if they don't than i must pay $17 more rather than $1 for the CableCard. My question is do they have to have one for me?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 554
Prob,
It is not an option for any cable company in the U.S., unless they are such a small company that they don't meet the requirements the FCC set as minimal subscriber base. All major cable companies have to offer this service, if they do not they are in direct violation of the plug and play order. You can contact your local cable commission and lodge a complaint or contact the FCC and do likewise if you are getting the run around.

Anonymous

I just purchased a 42" Panasonic Plasma and am getting frustrated since the HD channels all have the horizontal top and bottom bar. I am running through the COMCAST cable box. Will a cablecard fix this problem?

I have a SONY 55 LCD rear projection in basement running thru a cabecard and all the HD programs come in full screen. Any ideas?

RandyD
Unregistered guest
I recently bought a Sony 50" kdf-e50a10 that has a cable card slot. I currently do not have a cable box, nor do I want one. I just have basic cable. 3-22. I do though get what I call "leakers". They are about 8 channels that I am not suppose to get but they "leak" through. If I get a cable card I will be able to get the 3-4 stations that Comcast broadcast in High Definition. I currently get my local FOX. Does any one know if I get a cable card installed will if block out my "leakers"? I am not sure it will be worth it for a couple High Def stations to loose the good leakers. Also, I have a DVD Recorder hooked up from the wall then to the TV. If the Card does block my leakers from playing on the TV can I still use the tuner in the DVD Record to get the leakers since the Cable Card has nothing to do with that machine?

Username: Ibid

Post Number: 1
I called Comcast support earlier this week to get pricing on HD cable boxes and Cable Cards. I was told that the Cable Card does not do HD and that I would need their cable box. I asked him to check this information with their HD department, which he claims he did--same answer.

According to what I've read on this forum, the above is complete crap. Makes me mad as hell to have to deal with this people.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 564
Josh, I'm sure the FCC would like to know why Comcast is making statements like that. Aren't they're commercials the ones that say "Comcastic"? hmmmm

EricN1023
Unregistered guest
Can I get my local channels that I get in standard cable, through comcast, in HD using a cable card?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 574
Eric~ you should be able to get your locally broadcast channels in HD without a cable card, assuming you have an integrated NTSC tuner in your TV. The only reason you would need a cable card would be to pull in scrambled channels.

Jim K.
Unregistered guest
Is there a way to find out what actual channels are not in use from comcast ?
I have a new TV w/ ATSC/QAM tuner. I want to get all of the free ( well standard analog package) HD content from comcast. But I use a modulator to send my Tivo & Xbox medea center out to the other tv's in my house. I have a filter that blocks everything above 600 mhz and this blocks the HD and DTV. If I remove the filter then My tivo will be fighting with the incomming channel data.
If I remove the filter and shut off the modulator, I can get all of the HD & DTV stuff but the channels are numbers like 67-5. Is there a way to convert these numbers back to the actual channel number ?

EricN1023
Unregistered guest
cableguy~ Are you sure, I have a Samsung DLP TV
(HL-R5656W) and it says that it has an intigrated NTSC tuner. I do not have digital cable only standard, no box, just a cable. I have about 5-10 channels that say HD in the programming such as CBS in HD and ESPN HD but I do not think that I am getting any HD programs. Could I be and I just don't think that it is that clear?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 576
My deepest apologies...that should be ATSC not NTSC (brain freeze)
Jim~ the only way you could get that information would be from comcast, and I don't know if they'll release that information but hey, doesn't hurt to try.

Eric~ if your TV is DCR with an ATSC/QAM tuner in it, you can pull in the locally broadcast HD channels..sorry about my NTSC post it's an old habit of using NTSC for over 20 years. As you can see from Jim K's post the channel 67.5 is what a clear to air HD or digital local channel would appear as on a DCR TV

Anonymous

Cableguy,
I have been trying to get a cablecard from my cable company since two weeks before Christmas. I have had one cancelled appointment and many unanswered questions. They are saying that a technian must come install the card? is that true or can i do it myself if they mail it or i go pick if up from the office (only 5 mins from my house). I can't get an appointment for at least one more week and im ready for digital cable! and if it matters i have a Toshiba 46HM95 tv.
thanks

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 589
Anonymous~ It is up to the individual cable providers on how they want to handle installations. Some divisions may allow self installation, while others won't. Personally I think a self installation is only viable if the customer has already have one installed and needs it replaced. There are too many factors during an installation that can cause it to not work properly, i.e. wiring, bad signal, bad connectors, coding, faulty card, improper software or firmware on the TV etc... If all your wiring in the house is RG6 and the line coming to your house is free of defects, splitters are configured properly and you have sufficient signals, technically there is no reason one can't be done by yourself. It would be in your best interest to contact Toshiba and see if they have any software/firmware updates for your TV before you attempt to install the CC. Keep us posted

Todd1313
Unregistered guest
Lots of useful info here. I'm about to purchase an LCD TV that's CC ready... Having never seen a TV using a CC in action, here's my question: Do CC eliminate the lag time in changing channels that exists with boxes? Also, how far away are we from seeing TVs that are 2-way CC compliant?

Thanks!

Unregistered guest
I have a Hitachi 55hdt52. I had the cable guy come out and put a cc in the tv. But it will not work. All that it does is say acquiring data. It has been that why for 9 hours now and there has been no change. The cable guy said it may take days for it to work. I called Hitachi and they didn't know what to do. The tv has the latest software. What should I do?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 591
Todd~ Depends on the TV, but for the most part the lag is not as bad. As for the 2-way versions, they've already announced verification of a 2-way television, I believe it was Samsung and possibly Panasonic(going off memory, may be wrong on the panni). Should be sometime this year, I'd wager on just after summertime if everything is in place.
Jason~ Did Hitachi send you an upgrade or did they just tell you it was up to date? Can you go into your menu under set up and look for Software upgrades. In the upgrades section you can find what version is currently installed it will be the Main: V####.## Let me know what version you have and I can verify if it is correct. If it is correct it's possible the card is faulty or your forward data carrier is too low for the TV to get the data it needs.

Jason Willis
Unregistered guest
Hitachi told me it was the lastest version after I told them the number. The software number is v0101.0001 Thanks for looking into this.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 596
Jason~ you might want to call them back and ask if V0103 is the current software version. According to my notes 103 is current for your model.

Anonymous

just wanted to update, i called Toshiba to ask if there was an update for the Toshiba 46HM95. the guy kept on asking me if i was having a problem. When i said no, i just wanted to make sure because i was about to get a cablecard they told me to call if i have a problem and they can fix it. My guess is that they are having problems on some and do have an update kit.

AHHHHHHHH
Unregistered guest
I am looking into getting an HP DLP with CC and an optical audio out. Will the Atsc tuner give me 5.1 sound or is that just for the HDMI?

ricky w.
Unregistered guest
Question - if I get a CC hooked up from Comcast, will I still need to hook up the coaxial to the wall outlet?

Bronze Member
Username: Cabletool

Midwest

Post Number: 21
Yes. It isnt wireless. You can view it like a tiny Cable Box that goes inside your tv..
But in reality your TV is the actual cable box and the card itself just provides the decryption and mapping of the right channels.

If your TV now says 123-1, 123-5 etc for the channels you have tuned in without the card, the card will provide the corrct map so the channels numbers will match the display channel numbers of your area.

Now the freq of that channel is going through that card and that card is saying "YES, HE CAN VIEW HBO" and it enables the decryption of that freq.

But in any event, you still need the coax going to the tv to provide the signal in the first place.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 618
Ahhh~ if the HP DLP allows the digital audio to pass if there are content protection flags on the channel, then yes. There are some makes of TV's that do not pass digital audio out of the TV if content protection flags indicate "never copy" or 0x02. That would be a good question to pose to HP before you purchase their set.

Koo
Unregistered guest
Hi, cableguy~ It's really wonderful that someone as knowledgeable as you is answering all those questions here. Now I also have a question. I have a cable card ready HDTV (sharp aquos) which has a built-in QAM tuner. According to the postings above, I should be able to watch all those local digital and OTA HD broadcastings without a cable card since Comcast puts unencrypted broadcast digital tv signals from abc, nbc, pbs, etc. on even their basic analog cable service (I got standard analog cable). Is that correct? Well, I'm not getting any of the digital/HD programs. Does it depend on where I live? I'm in Vallejo, CA. Is it up to Comcast whether they provide their analog cable subscribers with these signals? Or did I completely get it wrong? I know if I have OTA antenna set up on my roof I will receive the OTA HD programs. But it seems to me those above postings meant they got those local digital/HD programs from the Comcast's analog coax cable. If that's true, to which TV connector should I connect my standard analog cable coax cable? I see three RF connectors back of my TV: one for analog; one for digital cable; one for digital air (well, actually I tried all the three but none worked). Do I have to buy an HD OTA antenna or have Comcast install a cable card to get the local digital/OTA HD programs others are getting?
I live at an apartment, so it's difficult to setup an OTA HD antenna on the roof and I'd hate to pay additional $5/month for the cable card if there's another way.
Thanks in advance~ and thanks anyone that helps me~

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 626
Koo~ you need to connect a two-way splitter and connect both the analog and digital cable at the same time, then do an auto program, indicating to search both analog and digital channels.

Koo
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the quick response, cableguy!!!
I'll try to do that. But I wonder why it didn't work when I connected the coax cable to the digital cable RF connector back of the TV. You mean connecting the single analog coax cable to both of the analog and digital RF connector using a splitter? Can it find digital channels ONLY IF both RF connectors are connected?

Koo
Unregistered guest
Thanks a lot, cableguy! It worked!!!

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 628
yw :-)

Anonymous

I am moving to Carmel, CA. I have a Sharp HDTV that I use in the kitchen. Is there a way now to access my cable box wirelessly? I have Comcast and would rather not (and don't have room) for the cable box to be placed in the kitchen with the TV. Would a cable card do the same thing? Do they work the same as a cable box?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 634
you could always hide the box in a cabinet and run the wires to the TV through a wall plate. It's done all the time.

GeorgeA
Unregistered guest
I have Comcast basic service and am interested in buying a Tivo-like PVR box to record the HDTV QAM unencrypted local channels. (It would be a bonus to record ASTC OTA too.) Is there a set-top DVR I can buy that does not require any activation hassles with Comcast? I see some models like the Motorola DCT-6412 are sold on ebay, but I do not know if I can just plug this in and use it for the local HD channels. If getting the locals through Comcast is going to be a hassle, maybe I will try to get them using an antenna with OTA ASTC. Any boxes that support both options? Well, I think Comcast would be better, since I don't have to worry about poor reception. But I don't want to worry about activation issues. Thanks guys, this forum is great. George

Scott Ca
Unregistered guest
I live in a basement apartment and my landloard is a little difficult so I know if I ask him to upgrade to hd if I pay the difference I know he won't love the idea. I think I would rather pay for the STB via ebay or something like that just to avoid the hassle. My worry is that if I do this comcast will contact him and I will be had. So do I have anything to worry about and if I did this is there anything I would be missing other then the premium hd channels. All I am really concerned with is that I get the hd locals.
Thanks,
Scott

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 641
Scott~ there are plenty of places to buy illegal STB's. The key word here is they are illegal, and besides that..if the STB was not provided by your cable company, they have no communication with the device so there is no way to activate it and no way to get any channels. With the advent of two way technology all STB's have two-way communication so that it can stay in touch with the master controller. If the master controller doesn't have the bin files for that device it doesn't recognize it as a valid piece of equipment and thus is a better door stop then a STB. Don't waste your money. You'd be better off to talk with your landlord as you seem to me that you want to do the right thing, it never hurts to ask. Heck you might even convince him to come down sometime and watch the big games in HD, he might like that. Anyway, stay away from anybody other then the cable company when getting STB's, they all claim to work, I've never seen one that did and in 20 years I've seen a lot of them. We've even had customers that call us when they are not working, we go out and the equipment doesn't exist on the account the box is confiscated and the police are notified, it's a felony to steal cable and any device that is in the system that is intended to provide channels you are not paying for is illegal.

George~ I'll let somebody from comcastic land answer that

Unregistered guest
I'd like clarification if possible. I live in Chicago, and am moving into a building with analog service already provided. I have an HDTV with a CC slot. COmcast told me that a STB was 5.00 per month, and a CC was 5.95 per month with no option to buy. Does this make sense? Do I need a STB or CC to receive the HD channels such as the broadcast networks and ESPN?
THanks for answering

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 642
Harold~ I don't work for Comcast, but you should be able to pull in the locally broadcast network stations without the CC. As for ESPN, you may need the CC in order to pull that in, it's more then likely an encrypted channel and wouldn't be able to be tuned without decryption keys that the CC provides.
As for why comcast charges $5 of the STB and $5.95 for the CC is their reasoning, no it doesn't make sense. Our system charges $5.95 for a HD STB and $1.75 for CC's. I've heard other systems don't charge at all for the CC, it is up to each individual system and divisions on what they charge for equipment, but it doesn't make sense to charge more for a CC then a STB.

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 25
Harold Im not aware of Comcast charging anything for a CableCARD in Chicago.
I believe a second card is charged but not the first. ( or course if that policy changed I wouldnt be the first to be notified)

There are some buildings, if you are in a highrise, that cannot recieve those channels. ( due to wiring limitations) Otherwise, baring any signal issues, you should be able to recieve local HD's in the clear without any additional eqpt.

Anonymous

I'm in MD, located just north of Washington DC. I'm planning on ordering cable so I can get internet. Last night, I plugged in my tv to the coax cable in the wall (probably from the previous resident's cable connection) and I have free cable. I found over 200 + digital channels, but they're basically all blank when I try to view them. They're all in the 100.x - 115.x range. I didn't check every single channel, but I was able to find 3 music channels than have picture. Is there anything I can do to try to find out if I have free local HD channels? I don't want to check all 200+ channels. Is there any way to map the channels (for example 100.2 to it's appropriate channel, maybe 243 or something)? To repeat, I have not ordered anything yet and get this stuff for free.

If all that fails, here's my other thought. I was going to order high speed internet only. Based on what I read, will I still get basic cable for free? I have an HDTV with QAM tuner, but really can't see any of the digital channels right now.

Scott Ca
Unregistered guest
Thanks cableguy. I like you said they do claim it will work with comcast. I really appreciate your help you saved me from throwing away some money. As far as my landload watching the games I am not sure which would be worse SD on my HDTV for the superbowl or my landlord watching it with me in HD. Decisions, Decisions. I guess I was hoping it would work like my tivo where I just hooked it up and it worked.

Unregistered guest
Great site! need help.
I have comcast digital. Looking for new
motorola 6200. ebay has a few(comcast). If I buy, will it work just plugging it in? or does comcast need to reset? Thank you all...

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 26
Insantafenm-
It will need to be added to Comcasts equipment inventory as a purchased item. It is extremely problematic and the likelyhood you will get them to do it is 1000-1.
It MIGHT work by just plugging it in, most likely it will not. Each box is set with whatever area it came from. If it isnt hooked up to plant for a certain amount of time it will go dead.
Why are you looking on EBAY for one?

Anonymous-
If the tech traps out your video signal when he installs HSI there is a good chance your HD and various digi channels are above the freq range of the trap. You will still get a few.
There is no real way to map them to their correct display channel, head over to AVS forum and find your area in the HD section. They usually list what is mapped where.
nm, here it is.

Anonymous

Cable Tool (and anyone else) -

(About the MD comcast connection)
By trapping out video, do you mean that it would filter out the standard basic cable channels (2-99) or whatever it might be? And from the sound of things, I might get the digital channels (some not all), including HD? I know I love the idea of free cable, but I know I want to get the regular channels like TBS, TNT, USA, etc.

Another approach I was planning on doing was just getting standard cable (non dig), which is about $50 a month, and getting HSI, for $42. If I go this route, will I get some digital channels and some HD channels, as well as the channels I am looking for? What if I just do the basic cable w/ HSI ($15 + $42)? To go from basic to standard, are they just putting a filter to remove the channels for basic? Is this done on my end or at their end?

Thanks.

Anonymous

I live in Utah and just got hooked up for basic cable (no digital - just local and a few others). After getting hooked up, I called Comcast to rent one of their HD boxes. They said they are not available on my basic plan and that I would have to upgrade. Is that correct?? Does the FCC require them to send the local channel HD signal through to me without using one of their boxes. I just want the HD signal for local broadcasts and don't want to sign up for a higher service.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 27
Anonymous #1-
You will not get the channels you want if you just get HSI with no cable. The traps only go to a certain freq so if you have a digital tuner you can get a few unscrambled digi channels. Nothing worth watching though.
If you get standard you will still get the same amount of unencrypted digi and HD, again, those freqs are higher -generally- then what the trap is set for. Its a physical filter at the pole or ped. ( there are some areas however that require a box regardless of what your level of video service. They do not use traps. Everything is scrambled. )

Anonymous#2-
The FCC requires we send the Broadcast Channels in the clear. You can view them if you have a digital tuner. They do not require the cable company to provide you with the tuner itself or even offer HD at all. The company is free to offer the service in any way they see fit.
The signal is there and you are free to pick it up if you have regular cable and a tv capable of viewing it. If not you have to purchase a tuner or rent your cable companies. And they can put that tuner in whatever package they like.

newmex
Unregistered guest
Just purchased a philips plasma hdtv. Here is my question. I directly connected my cable to 75ohm connector on tv set and some channels come in pretty bad. The HD channels come in great. Can I improve the regular channels by installing a cable card? Can I improve the regular channels by installing a digital cable box and hook up through component connection to TV

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 35
NewMex- haha, you only need to ask once https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/192748.html

The short answer is no, you will most likely NOT improve your picture. Reasons why in the other thread you started...

Username: Dxm113

"The signal is there and you are free to pick it up if you have regular cable and a tv capable of viewing it."

I have the same type of question that Anonymous from Utah has. I have Comcast Basic in the Chicago area

I have purchased a new TV (Vizo L37 HDTV) with both NTSC and ATSC tuners. I have not been able to pick up any local HD channels through Comcast Basic cable. Is there a way to do this?

I have tried routing the cable through the ATSC tuner and have had no luck picking up a signal.

Would sending the (basic) cable through the ATSC tuner be able to pick up the local HD channels, or is it necessary to purchase something else?

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 39
As a quick update, I am hearing that certain areas MIGHT be encrypting the signal and that the FCC regulation regarding the availability of the signal is there for areas that cannot pick up the OTA signals.
In Chicago there is no encryption at all of the local HD's. ( I cant speak for Utah however)

David-

Can you get any digital channels? You should be able to get them using the ATSC tuner. ( be aware though that if there is a signal issue on the freq that carries the digital signal then you will not be able to get them )

The HD channels are in the 690-740Mhz range in your area. If there is a trap on your line it should not block these higher freqs. By the same token if you have lower freq rated splitters or other devices they will block these from coming through. What is your general set up?

Here is what you might find
1.1 WCIU
1.2 Something Spanish/local
2.1 CBS
5.1 NBC
7.1 ABC
7.2 ABC News
7.3 ABC Weather
9.1 WGN
9.2 WGN (SAP)
11.1 WTTWD
11.2 WTTW11
17.1 (Sometimes Signal .. sometimes no Signal .. dunno what it is
17.2 Same as above
17.3 Same as above
20.1 WYCC
32.1 Fox
36.1 Something with paid adverising most of the time
38.1 PAX 38
38.2 PAX MTN
38.3 Pax W
38.4 Worship
38.5 Faith
38.6 TLN
44.1 WSNS-DT (TC)
50.1 WPWR-DT (UPN)
60.1 WXFT-DT (dubbed english movies in spanish .. most of the time)
66.1 WGBO-DT (Spanish football most of the time)

And here is a Chicago/ChicagoLand specific thread on the AVS forums regarding OTA reception.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=444398

dave m.
Unregistered guest
Cable Tool, thanks for the quick response. (having problems with my account so I'm posting as dave m.)

As per my setup in Chicago: My cable comes into my apt, runs through a 5-1000 MHz splitter (to my TV and Cable modem) . At the TV, another 5-1000 MHz splitter (one line to NTSC tuner, one to the ATSC).

I have no problems with the NTSC cable. When I switch tuners to the ATSC, I have a black screen and a message that says "please scan channels"

I have tried multiple times to scan, and never find anything.

Thanks again for you help, I appreciate it!

Carlos V
Unregistered guest
Cable guy or Cable tool (or someone else who know about this stuff),
I just finished reading this whole post and I have gathered lots of great info. half way through reading these posts, I decided to try to plug my cable from the wall directly into my panasonic hdtv plasma. I did this thinking taht I'll start getting all the hd channels now rather than waiting till next week when comcast suppose to come over my house to install the cablecard.
After installing it directly I only got a handfull of digital channels and ONLY 1 Hd channel (WGBH HD)
Wasn't I suppose to get all my digital channels (except HBO) and all HD channels??

I own a 37" High Definition Panasonic Plasma TV
Built-in NTSC/ATSC/QAM Tuners

I live in the Boston area and have Comcast digital cable.

I hope you can help out,

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 43
If you were able to get all your digital channels (except for HBO) that would mean the cableCard exists to give you ONE channel.

You can only receive those channels tht your Cable Company have not encrypted. Usually its the locals in HD and a few music channels. Not to much else.
You can go here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=453241 and find your area and see what your neighbros can get "in the clear"
Good luck with your installation!

Dave-
Im not sure what they issue can be. Im assuming an existing signal issue but if you also have HSI that is also unlikely. Have you tried eliminating the splitter at the set and just going straight into the ATSC tuner? ( just to check and see if there is enough signal on that run)

Unregistered guest
I am setting up my home theater with a dlp projector and a screen, and want to know the best and least expensive way to get HDTV service. We are not frequent TV watchers, but it would be nice to have HD capability. We already have basic comcast cable service. I can pay 8 bucks more per month and get their HDTV box - but I am not sure if this will have component video outputs to connect to my projector. Any advice? Do I need the HDTV service from comcast?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 660
Any HD STB has to have at a minimum Component outputs, also most of the HD STB's should have DVI or HDMI and possibly even Firewire Jacks as well.

WhiteChocolate
Unregistered guest
I have a HDTV Ready LCD. I am currently thinking on buying the Motorola Dual-Tuner DVR High-Definition Set-Top DCT6412. After reading the Q&A here at this site, it sounds as if I will get additional channels out of my normal Extended Cable programing. Is this true? Or will I have to get the Digital programing from my cable provider before I get the additional channels like alot of the people are posting.
Thank you,

Username: Jc42

Hi Cableguy, you are very informative. I have a new HDTV (Mits WD62927) with 250G HD for DVR. Comcast has been to my house 4-5 times trying to get CC to work and so far been unsuccessful. The techs keep trying to talk me into the HD-STB instead because they claim 9 of 10 CC's won't ever work. I want CC for best picture AND so I can take advantage of my TV's DVR. TV won't record from STB. I understand Comcast has STB with DVR capability.

My A/V specialist is telling me that Comcast is obliged to get CC to work for me no matter what. Are these CC failures legitimate? How could Comcast get away with this while stil advertising the CC? When should I just give up and go with HD-STB w/DVR?

brucekai
Unregistered guest
How much picture improvement will I see going from analog cable to digital cable on a 60" HDTV for non-hd channels? I have the Sony KDF60WF655 and see some ghosting now. Will that disappear if I get digital?

Hilly
Unregistered guest
Hi Cableguy,
I am about to buy Sony HD LCD with ATSC Tuner and Cable Card (40"Bravia XBR) and I have a "free" standard cable service with no box from Comcast (probably left from the previous tenant).

Can I keep my free cable service and get some HD programiing without a digital box or a cable card from Comcast (Marin County, Bay Area)? Is the ATSC tuner used for off-air broadcast or can it be used for the cable connection for HD? Thanks.

BigBill
Unregistered guest
Great discusion and good answers!! Here is a new quandry...
Using a simple QAM HD tuner I am unable to receive amy PSIP info from Comcast (Seattle). Three different emails (same question) to customer support brought back three different answers:
1) Yes we send TV guide info
2) We only send what we get from the broadcast stations
3) No, we don't send PSIP data.

Any ideas what the real situation is?

Tha!nks

BigBill
Unregistered guest
Sorry...meant to ask if CC or STB required for PSIP (not TVGOS).

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 667
WC~ I'm not sure how other cable systems do their signals, but you should be able to view any locally broadcast HD channels directly to your TV, connect the cable to the proper RF input (refer to owners manual)and do an auto search for channels.

john c.~ 9 out of 10 don't work? sheesh I'm glad I don't work for them lol. Verify with Mitsubishi that the version of software on your TV is correct and current first off. If they confirm that it is, then your cable provider is doing something wrong. Yes they have an obligation to get them working, no CC failures based on their numbers are not legitimate, you can always contact your local cable commission and file a complaint. When you should give up is after you have exhausted every resource available to you to get things corrected.

brucekai~ it should be noticeable moreso on the analog channels than anything else. As for the ghosting, see if you see the same problem when watching DVD's or VHS tapes...if you do contact Sony and have them check your TV.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 668
Hilly~ You can use the ATSC tuner for both OTA and CATV. As for the services, you would have to contact Comcast to see what levels of service they offer.

BigBill~ usually the PSIP is carried on PBS, although I've seen other threads where PBS broadcasting in digital isn't passing the information. You should be able to get it with CC/STB or OTA (analog)

Anonymous

Okay.. I have comcast basic service, no set top boxes. However, according to the manual of my RCA 52" with integrated tuners it says to hook that line up only to the analog RF jack, however, it doesn't pull any HD channels <not> Any suggestions? It also has a digital RF jack

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 678
is it an NTSC or ATSC?

Anonymous

ATSC Both Digital and Analog tuners (won't even pull the local HD channels off the cable wire like mentioned in other posts) Pulls analog signals without any problems.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 679
hmmm....sounds like an issue with Comcast. All locally broadcast channels should be viewable in the clear (not encrypted) unless there is a retransmission dispute going on. Have you been able to connect an antenna to see if the TV can pull in the OTA signals? If you can, then I'd definitely say Comcast needs to investigate. From time to time there are Comcast techs that show up in here, hopefully one of them can respond to this. I know how it works with time warner systems, and it does work, so I can only demonstrate "what if" scenarios. It's best to let Comcast answer this question. Keep us posted

Anonymous

Called ComCast today. They of course say you must have the high definition box in order to receive any HD programming from their service (atleast in St. Paul, MN anyway)

Username: Annesummers

I have Comcast in South Jersey and a HD television with a built in QAM tuner. Based on this shouldn't I be able to receive all of the local HD channels? I can receive a couple of the local HD channels (Fox, WB), but others (NBC, CBS) just say 'No Signal'. I called Comcast but was told that I needed a cable box to receive any HD channels. This obviously does not explain how I'm receiving the channels that I am or why I can't receive the others. Any clues?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 680
Sounds like Comcast isn't passing through locally broadcast channels in the clear....
Where's all the comcast cable techs that were in here last month? They can better answer your questions about Comcastic service

Unregistered guest
Hiya,

Have Samsung DLP, Samsung DVD Recorder, Comcast service and CableCard. Would like to record digital channels on the DVD Recorder. DVD Recorder has antenna in from wall, antenna out goes to TV. When the Recorder detected channels on setup, only ones it found were standard service, non digital channels. The only way I've found to record a digital channel is to go from line out on the TV to line in on the DVD recorder, but that means I gotta be watching it to record. Options?

Samsung technical support unhelpful, Haven't actually called Comcast to ask them this question yet.

If the TV just had antenna out (cable card pass through or something), I think I'd be fine. My guess is the only way I can solve this is to go with a cable box - which I was hoping to avoid.

TIA,

Jim

Unregistered guest
Hiya

Sorry followup - the DVD recorder manual does state it can only receive channels 1-125 (my digital standard comcast channels are 101 - 168). Also called comcast and they told me all the digital channels, basic or otherwise, are encrypted.

Feels like my best option might be to just lease a DVR from comcast, return the cable card, and use the DVD Recorder to backup stuff off of the DVR.

If so, interesting that most sites I'd visited before setting my system up mentioned lack of PPV and cable company guide as the major downsides to the TV with cablecard option, but in fact for me the killer for cablecard has proved to be that I can't record the digital channels without watching em.

Jim

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 47
Sounds like Comcast isn't passing through locally broadcast channels in the clear....
Where's all the comcast cable techs that were in here last month? They can better answer your questions about Comcastic service

Hey! I resemble that!!!
I cant answer that quesiton though. I know in my area all our HD locals are in the clear. I cant speak for other areas though. If you call Comcast, or any cableco you will get the standard "LEASE THE HD BOX"

but in fact for me the killer for cablecard has proved to be that I can't record the digital channels without watching em.

Thats not a limitation of the cablecard itself. You need two tuners to watch one program on one tuner and record the other program on the second tuner.
If you purchased a DVD recorder it does not have a tuner so it can only record what you feed it.
For what you want you need to look into an actual DVR such as Sonys HDD250. By chance you can also insert a cablecard into the sony. It will see and record everything your tv can.

But it looks like you just want to burn DVD's...

Username: Annesummers

Cherry Hill, NJ USA

Post Number: 2
I sent an email to Comcast's customer support asking if I can get OTA HD channels with Basic cable since I have a television with a QAM tuner. This was their reply:

In order to receive HD services from Comcast, you must have a HD-ready, HD-capable or HDTV. You may also have a HDTV with a CableCard slot. HDTVs without a CableCard slot will require the use of a Comcast HD converter box to receive Comcast's HD services. If you do not wish to use the HD converter box and your TV does not have a cable card slot, you will need to purchase an HD antenna and connect it directly to one of your TV's tuners to receive local HD
channels over the air.

The monthly rates for HDTV service are as follows:
With Digital Metal package (Silver, Gold or Platinum) - $1.00
With Digital Classic or Plus - $6.00
Without Digital - $10.50

Installation - $14.05

So, basically they are telling me that they are not putting OTA HD channels in the clear.

And here I thought that they had to.

Silly me.

Anne.

Username: Mitwa23

Hi,

I have comcast cable in motel (30 rooms) and HBO channels but i need separet box for my room. I do have extra motorola box but its not working. How do i make it work.

Username: Markpsf

I have a new Panasonic plasma tv. I have Comcast service.
I know the downside of using a cable card but don't care about those services.
What's the up side of using a Comcast cable card, other than the space saved?
Will there be a payoff in picture quality?
Will we be able to then control the tv channels using the
Panasonic tv remote? Other payoffs?
Thanks!

Old Shep
Unregistered guest
Cableguy,
I learned a lot from your previous posts - thanks. Have Comcast (Lake Elsinore Ca.) and Sony XBR 960. Originally requested HD set top box (I like the HBO On Demand) but got a DVR (Motorola 6200 series - single tuner) instead. PQ is good mostly on HD channels but SD looks washed out and I get some occaisonal snow on HD along with ~1 sec. black outs from time to time. Worst problem is sometimes the audio and video get out of sync. Will swapping out the DVR for a motorola 5100 set top box help this sync problem?

Thanks

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 692
Since I don't work for Comcast, I can't give you advice on what equipment of theirs is better then the next. Audio audio and video sync errors are usually source related, key word being usually.

donutello
Unregistered guest
joachim, what did you do to get your Philips Plasma working with your cable card?

I have the exact same TV as you. I got a cable card from the comcast store yesterday. I plugged it in and now I don't have any tunable channels. The channel up/down button only switches between the external inputs. What do you need to do to be able to watch the digital channels on your TV?

donutello
Unregistered guest
joachim, what did you do to get your Philips Plasma working with your Comcast cable card?

I have the exact same TV (Philips 50" Plasma) as you. I got a cable card from the Comcast store yesterday. I plugged it in and now I don't have any tunable channels. The channel up/down button only switches between the external inputs. What do you need to do to be able to watch the digital channels on your TV?

Anonymous

Help! Comcast and Toshiba won't.

Purchased 17" Toshiba SD-P7000 HD-ready TV with built in DVD player. Then got an HD cable box and hooked it up. After returning two boxes to Comcast as well as two remotes the problem hereafter described still remains. Today I exchanged the TV set without luck. Have spent at least ten hours on phone with Comcast and Toshiba technicians, and my frustration is beyond description.

The problem I'm going to describe is evidently with the Comcast remote control (I could be wrong as to this) and I have also tried contacting the manufacturer (Scientific Atlanta), but was unable to get through.

Here's the situation: When I touch the volume control button on the Comcast remote, almost every other button (other than the DVD recording buttons) becomes a limited volume control button. More specifically, if I increase the volume and then touch another button, that button will continue to increase - but never decrease - the volume. Likewise, when I decrease the volume and touch another button, it will continue to decrease - but never increase - the volume. The problem persists if I then touch another button.

I surmise that the problem may be in the code and have been informed of that both by Comcast and Toshiba technicians. Instructions provided with the remote control fail to list any codes for any combination TV/DVD sets and I have tried numerous ones in an attempt to resolve this problem. The problem remains if I enter the codes for a Toshiba TV-VCR. Also, I have gone through well over 1,000 numbers in employing the code searching technique set forth in the instructions.

Additionally, if I use the Toshiba remote control to adjust the volume and then pick up the Comcast remote, the problem returns. So I can't just resort to using the Toshiba for volume adjustments and the Comcast for everything else.

I am considering purchasing another universal remote control but note that virtually all brands are made by the same manufacturer - Scientific Atlanta - and am apprehensive that the instructions will be archaic as to new sets, as are the ones provided by Comcast.

Any suggestions as to the resolution of this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Username: Ramanathans

Post Number: 8
Cableguy: The TVGOS system does nt work in the LA area. LG television telle me that it is a software related issue with KCET public television. There is no way of reaching Gemstar. Do you have any idas on this issue?

Username: Ericbro

Cableguy, you are one busy dude!!

I'm buying the Sony KDS-R50XBR1, Samsung DVD-HD850 with HDMI, and have a Sony STR-DE995. My geek kid wants to build a HTPC to use as a DVR, the local electronics store suggests the Comcast DVR box with two tuners. My local Comcast uses the Motorola DCT6412.

I read a forum about the DCT6412 that wasn't very complimentary. Should I go for CC and a HTPC instead? Don't really care about PPV or On Demand.

For what it's worth, I'm in Nashville, TN

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 737
Donutello~ contact Philips and report that problem

Anon Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 12:14 am ~ The problem is inherent with combination TV's and cable company remotes. In your case, because your TV has a built in DVR, the cable remote doesn't know how to deal with the commands. One thing I'm curious to ask you is your TV remote should have an option to set up a cable remote, can you set your TV remote to operate your cable box? I don't know of anything you can do to remedy your situation short of using your TV remote, or dropping a couple hundred on a touch pad remote that can learn any infrared remote device. Try your TV remote first, if that doesn't work it, go the touch pad route.

Ramanathan~ The only thing I know about the TVGOS feature is it gets it's data from locally broadcast PBS stations. If LG is telling you there is a software related issue with KCET, did they indicate if it was on their end or KCET? The only option I can think of is to connect an aerial antenna and see if you can pull the data in OTA. If KCET is only broadcasting in digital/HD, then I don't see any solution to the problem. It's apparent that the software for the TVGOS is being directed to look for this signal on an analog channel, and one must question why a digital TV is looking for information on an analog station, when they all know that analog is going bye bye soon anyway...do the math, it doesn't add up.

Eric~ I don't know anything about Comcast equipment since I don't work for them, but I can tell you a cc and HTPC won't help you accomplish what you are trying to do. Due to copy protection laws, there is no way you're going to extract anything from a cc that is flagged for copy protection. More importantly, I don't believe anybody has manufacturered a TV with video outputs and cc interface at this point in time, so there wouldn't be anyway to record off your TV in the first place. Sony makes a PVR, which is cc compliant, but it is only a single tuner. I heard that Tivo is in the process of developing a dual cc tuner unit, but haven't heard any updates on that product in over a year. LG TV's make a TV that is cc compliant with a built in DVR, but again it's only a single tuner so the correct answer would be to go with a STB that can give you what you want. I'd really ask myself how important it is to have the ability to record shows and watch another while recording. Contrary to popular belief you are not going to touch the quality of picture you get with a cc vs a stb no matter how you look at it. Are there problems with current cc device? Absolutely, but they are being addressed and through determination and a little patience, these matters will go by the wayside.

Username: Liedas

Pickerington, OH United States

I am new to this Cable Card thing. I have Insight cable but don't even know if they offer Cable Cards. What is the major bennefits to using Cable Cards?

Username: Bcduffie

Question about picture on digital channels going from normal to sidebar on their own. I have an aquos Sharp LC 32D4

Username: Joachimk

CA USA

donutello, I did nothing suddenly it just worked.

A few months ago Comcast channel 408 (Speed Channel in my area) went away ... Comcast 'sent a signal' and nothing happened. So today I checked for software updates on the Philips web site and downloaded it onto a USB stick. I upgraded the TV but some of the original deseases were still there, i.e., the TV did not offer to automatically search for channels on the cable card input. So I pulled out the cable card, turned the TV off and then on again without the cable card plugged in. The TV menu system then displayed the option to automatically search for channels on the cable card input (!), I selected 'next', and before selecting 'start' I plugged the cable card in again. Then I selected 'start' and the TV was busy for quite a while searching for channels. My new problem is that most of the channels are now identified in the xx.yy naming scheme and the TV does not display most of the station names associated with a particular channel. May be I just need to wait long enough. And channel 408 (Speed Channel)? Not sure, I have been flipping through the channels and can't find it yet ... I am just wondering how an average consumer is supposed to use this technology.

Username: Liedas

Pickerington, OH United States

Post Number: 3
if you had the choice of a tv with a cable card slot or a tv that was 1080p what whould you chose?

Username: Joachimk

CA USA

Well, go to sleep, wake up in the morning and the channel numbers are back to what I was used to before, no more 9.x for KQED, etc.

And channel 408 (Speed Channel)? The TV knows about it, reports it correctly, but when I select it the channel is 'not available'. Uhh, yea, I am paying for it and I can watch it when I use my cable box (yes, I have a cable box and a cable card for the same TV).

Back to calling Comcast, see if 'sending a signal' actually does something this time.

Username: Brucerpeterson

I live in San Jose and have Comcast digital service. A year or so ago, Comcast said it had an agreement with Tivo to provide Tivo service with their set top boxes within a year. I have heard nothing about it so I called Comcast today and was told that since they have an STB with HD and DVR that that was the equivalent to Tivo so Tivo would not be provided. For anyone who has used Tivo, it is clear that what Comcast provides is nowhere near as user-friendly and functional as what Tivo provides. Today I just got an email from Tivo talking about their new Series 3 unit which provides dual tuner HD capability. Up till now I was not familiar with cable cards since my setup had no place for one (Comcast CC to Denon A/V tuner to HD-ready TV). The new Tivo unit has slots for two CCs in order to feed its two tuners.

So the fundamental question is similar to other ones in this thread: do I even need the CCs if I get this Tivo box? I do watch ESPN2HD and USAHD for the tennis. Other than that, my HD usage is pretty much strictly over the air channels.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 844
Bruce~ it all depends on what you want out of your TiVo. If you're content to record basic stuff then you don't need a CC. If you intend to record things like ESPN2HD or USAHD and the like you would need a CC. Comcast might want to re-think their stance on providing CC's for TiVo units, check with your local cable commission or contact the FCC to see if they are required to provide service with CC's, odds are they don't have the ability to say no.

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 57
Comcast is curretnly testing the TIVO software in its boxes. Its in beta now. There will probably be a monthly charge to "subscribe" to the service. This might be something a phone rep might not be aware of.

Comcast should be supplying cablecards for your TIVO. If you would like two though there will most likely be a charge for each.
There is no need to tell Comcast what the cablecard is for. I have heard stories of people calling and asking for a cablecard for a TIVO and they are told it isnt possible.
Again that goes back to an uneducated phone rep.

There are no stipulations in the FCC documentation as to what exact device a cablecard is for. TV, DVR, TIVO, Tuner.. doesnt matter. Your Cable Company should activate it regardless.

Getting it to work in the Tivo might be an adventure of its own.

Username: Mmulholland

Indianapolis, IN

Have Sony HD TV with Integrated ATSC Tuner. It must have the QAM (explaing??) tuner becasue I pick up many HD channels (TNT, NBC, CBS, WB, FOX, INHD, INHD2) without paying for them (I pay for basic analog service). These channels show up as subchannels (ex. 75.2) when I ran an auto scan on my TV. I also pick up other peoples ON DEMAND. (Yeah, I get to see when they rewind/fastforward movies). However, I don't get ESPNHD. Why not? Can I run a manual scan and find it on some weird subchannel or does Comcast scrable ESPNHD but not the ones mentioned above?

Username: Gate_keeper

I recently bought a 42" HITACHI Plasma HDTV and I picked up a Comcast Digital Cable box. After hooking the cable box up to the tv I get no picture just a maessage saying: one moment
please channel will be available shorty but the channel never becomes available. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Username: Blumamba

I recently purchased a SA 8300HD, allegedly brand new. I already have(Comcast)their hd services on a standard motorla box. However I like this one better, mostly cause this has the DVR features. I checked with comcast before i bought this box and they said it would work. I followed the set up instructions in the manual. however as soon as i plug in the power plug i get :er 67, then goes to h with rotating numbers in an ascending order. I called comcast to tell me what that ment and they refused to tell me. they then tried to ping it which obviously wasn't successful due to it not being "activated", I told them I bought the box new and that was as far as the conversation went. They kindly accused me of stealing the box and since the "serial number" was'nt in their system they wouldn't help me because they could not confirm where the box actually came from even after i gave them the serial number. I recited the title 47 speech to which they flat out ignored and told me they would not touch the box, but if i wanted, i could rent another of theirs. Anybody had this error on the box or similer experiance? If so how did you overcome it and get the box going? Thanks

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 58
Your issue ient even going to be getting it activated. Purchasing a ox for use on a cableco network means purchasing it NEW. From Moto or SA. The only box I know of that is purchased new regularly is the Moto 501.

Your issue is going to be asking Comcast to put an SA box onto a MOTO headend. If you have a MOTO currently then your area ONLY USES MOTOROLA. They most likely do not have any SA equipment in their headend to enable the use of that box.

There is no overcoming it.

Username: Blumamba

Ok. I assuemd that but after contacting comcast to verify, they said it would be no problem. I spacificlly mentioned the moto vs sa and gave the reasons as to why i want it. My cable (moto) area is actually directly located next to the (sa) area on the same network. I have to continually force them to check their records when something is wrong because the local office doesnt think they service this area. Less then 2 miles up the road is Cox's area. So they check and realize OPPs its their area and repsond to fix whatever it is thats wrong. So that is why i called to verify if the box would work. I even asked if i should stick w the moto and he said no. This box is brand new and doesnt have a name moniker on it. I still dont know what that er: 67 thing is and I still think it has something to do with programing the box befor it can be activated, but i can't get any cooperation now that i actually bought the box. Any other suggestions?

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 59
Not really. Again, its a stolen box. SA does not sell their boxes through retail. There is no way to purchase a box legally. If you have a box it is from someone elses account or fell off the back of a truck.
To actually activate the box it HAS to be entered into the cablecos inventory and then onto your account so it can receive your service level. It is an addresable box. If they cannot enter it into invenorty because:
A- it is a MOTO headend
B- it is stolen
then it cannot be activated or "addresed"

Bronze Member
Username: 1movibuff

Post Number: 42
christopher- If you still need to know what the message "one moment please this channel will be available shortly" means, it appears because the signal is too weak to be picked up by the STB. My guess in this instance it is caused by a faulty connected from the wall to the back of the DCT. Check your connections, unhook the coax on the back of the DCT and make sure the fitting on the end is not loose and also check the connector (the pin in the middle at the end of the coax) make sure it is not bent and that nothing is touching it, then reconnect it. Nothing should be connected between the wall and the DCT such as a VCR. If you have tiling on any channels it is also an indication of a signal problem. If this does not fix the problem, schedule a service call, there may be an issue at the outlet.

Username: Sjcalif1

I have a Samsung HL-R5656W HDTV, which is about 1 year old. But since yesterday, I could not turn the TV on. You heard a fun and lights was up for about 3 seconds, then the TV is off completely. The lamp is fine (I borrowed a lamp from my friend who has the same TV and pluged the lamp in - it still had the same problem). Any adivce (ideas)? Thanks.

Username: Pennshaq

I have a Pioneer HDTV with an HD receiver. When I used to live in Idaho, Adelphia was my cable company and I was able to get basic cable and the local HD channels at no added charge. Only problem was I had to sometimes search for the HD channel since the channel listed by Adelphia was in a different configuration as was used by my receiver (Adelphia receiver channel ABC-HD 704, Pioneer receiver ABC-HD 004.001). Now I live in New Mexico and my cable company is Comcast. They told me I have to pay the $5 HD fee for those channels as well as pay for and add a STB for $5. I HATE THE STB! What is the sense in having an HD receiver if you have to use a STB. I asked for a Cablecard but they said they do not have or cannot use them. Is that true? Should I be able to get a CC? What help can you offer that will help me get rid of the STB?

Username: Ramrhine

Virginia

Got that right, Gary. I've got a new Samsung with built-in HD. I knew I might have to upgrade with Adelphia just to improve reception generally and get HD channels as well. But learned I'd have to have a Cablecard at least to get that service. Techs couldn't get it to work, so now I have another black box crowding the shelf.
The remaining problem is that picture I get with the HD local channels is squeezed in 16:9, with flattened, distorted content. Other HD channels fill the screen, but the local channels have black bars top and bottom. Zoom 1 expands the picture, but also reduces its quality. Anyone experienced this?

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 62
Most local content is still 480i except for most prime time shows.

Username: Kriskane

(cut and paste of a message I posted at TiVo forums--but applicable here)

I don't have a series3 (yet), but recently purchased an HDTV. I've got my standby Series2 (sat in a box unused for a year--they were having a sale and we bit) hooked up to it through the s-video cable. Picture's not bad, considering it's upsampling a lossy codec to 1080p. Or i. I forget (I find really knowledgable sales people and then ask them "Which TV do you own?" and generally buy that one). Got an HD set-top from Comcast, hooked that up, and if you're putting off looking at HD pictures, keep putting it off--once you see it, you'll want to buy it immediately. We've got the coax from the wall going through a splitter, with one end going to the set top going through the series two, and the other end going straight into the TV's coax hookup. That way we can watch straight from the split coax while the TiVo does its thing. We want to get the cable card for the TV so we can watch the high end channels and premium content, as well.

ANYWAY.

Called my local (Alexandria, VA) Comcast number (which probably rings in the Midwest), talked to someone who seemed knowledgable, he told me I could just go in to my local office and ask for a cable card and they'd hand one over, no additional fee, no additional monthly, premium content, etc. Great, right? I'm sure you see this coming.

"We don't ... have ... those? We don't give those out. Anywhere."
"What?"
"The cable ... things."

After arguing with the (rude, unpleasant, clueless) counter person at the local office, AND asking for a supervisor (no one was in, as it was after six PM), I got back in the car and called Comcast again. Got someone who actually was knowledgable this time.

The cable card will be free--no fee, no additional monthly, not even a charge for the truck roll--but a tech has to come out and do it. She even told me not to let them schedule me on Saturday because no one's available at the other end for the back-and-forth call. I even asked if Comcast had insurance that would cover my really expensive TV, in case the field tech screwed up and ended up busting the thing. "Sure do." She even told me that only in-house techs install these anymore, since they're the only ones trained to do so. She volunteered her name and told me to call back to schedule it with her (I didn't have my calendar with me, wasn't sure when I'd be home). Ok, then.

So I'll call later today and schedule a truck roll for Thursday, and report back.

Sounds like Comcast in Alexandria may have gotten a call from the FCC about their legal liability for these cable cards--no fee for even the truck roll? Outstanding.

I'm wondering if this would work for those wth S3s who miss the ability to order pay-per-view through the set top--you could put one card in the S3 and one in the TV, if your TV will handle it, and have the best of both worlds.

It'll be nice if those rumors about Comcast testing TiVo software in their HD-DVR set tops are true.

(note, I stuck that bit about "rumor" in because the TiVo forums are policed by TiVo and I'm not sure if that's one of das verboten topics--I don't doubt you, cable tool).

I just called Comcast and this time they said that Cablecards were available to my surprise! However, they did tell me I will only receive the basic and digital cable channels and not the HD channels because the CCs they have will not work with HD channels yet. They say they will be expecting new CCs next quarter to handle the HD channels.

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 880
Strange, every customer in our system that has a cable card is working with hd channels. Somebody might want to check with the FCC to see if they are violating the mandate by not offering HD channels....rut roh shaggy...trouble

Username: Aileron

San Francisco

I have Comcast in San Francisco, and I have been happily getting HD without a cable card or a STB. However, recently all my HD channels have disappeared and when I do a channel scan on my TV I don't get any channels that look like X.y. Is Comcast doing something new, so that I have to either get a STB or the cable card?

Username: Happens31

ok i just got my hdtv with tunner built in. i am in miami and also have basic cable with comcast thru my complex. what do i really need to get the local channels?
i read the post and some say box or card what do i need for my 32" westinghouse 32w3

Little problem that may or may not be STB related: Since moving to Las Cruces, NM I had to install a STB from Comcast to get HD. Since having to STB installed, I frequently lose audio on a channel and the audio does not come back until I change the channel and go back. When I change the channel, the other station has audio, and the original channel I lost audio on at first regains its audio when I tune back into it. Any suggestions as to the cause/solution? My cable goes to STB, then my HD receiver which sends the siganl to the TV. Would it be the STB, the cable signal, the broadcast, my receiver? Before moving here I hooked directly into my receiver with the cable and never had this problem.

I've seen the same problem as Gary with my HD STB. Sometimes it is audio, but sometimes it is the video that is "dark." To get around this problem, I select a movie from my DVR in the STB. This kicks it back into normal operation. So IMHO, I think this is just a startup bug with the STB.

Username: Cgroves

West Miami, FL USA

Hi all, I've got a quick question that maybe someone can answer.

I'm in Miami, FL (Comcastic country). I have their BASIC service ($9.95/month) (coxial cable only, no STB). I get news channels like CNN/MSNBC and ESPN/2. I also get Golf TV and Oxygen but they are "snowy". I have a Sony WEGA KD-30XS955 (HD Tuner built-in). I receive the local broacast channels in HD, along with Comedy Central HD, NBA-TV, TNT-HD, Encore MoviePlex (I did get Bravo but the singal won't pick up, and I get the picture of Hallmark, E1, and a few others). I also have a single tuner Series 2 Tivo and I'm looking to go to a dual tuner Tivo.
I'm thinking about upgrading to some more channels (to get Sci-Fi, BBCA, etc.). What are the advantages of getting Comcast's ENHANCED CABLE vs. their DIGITAL CLASSIC (w/ On Demand)??? Do I HAVE to get a STB or can I use a CC (I have a CC slot) ? Will this affect recording two shows on a dual tuner Tivo (I heard that the DT Tivo will record one digital/one analog)??

(link to TV Specs http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/DocsConnect/docget.asp?manualid=22298&DL=',600,560,10,10,'Manuals or http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=KD30XS955 )

Thanks ahead of time,

Username: Sf_hdtv_newbie

Hi,
Ok so here's my question -
I live in San Francisco. I subscribe to Comcast basic cable(analog). I just purchased the Sharp Aquos LC-42D62U LCD flat panel. It has NTSC/ATSC/QAMI built in tuners. It has no RF inputs. I want to watch the Super Bowl in HD this Sunday. Will I be able to receive this with just basic cable plugged into the LCD "Antenna/Cable in"? I don't want digital cable..too expensive, not enough content or time to watch it...but shouldn't I be able to receive HD content? Please help!!!

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 931
David~ the Antenna/Cable Input is an RF input. You can connect either a coaxial cable line or a HD antenna via 75 ohm coaxial wire to that input. Go into your menu and choose Air (antenna) or Cable as your source of signal, then go to channel search and press the start option. If you have selected cable it will give you an option to choose analog or analog/digital and begin. If your provider is passing local HD channels in the clear your TV should pick up those channels in the search process. Happy surfing

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 932
David~ sorry I should have mentioned you want to choose analog/digital for the search option if you have connected your cable feed to the Ant/Cable input. You will have all of your analog channels as they would normally appear, with any digital or HD channels in the clear represented with . or -. If you're in the bay area, I believe your channels would be 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, 11.1, 20.1, 33.1, and 64.1. These stations may differ from what you can actually get, but that should be pretty darn close.

Username: Vincent52

I am considering buying a Samsung LN-S5296D. It is DCR with CableCard. I have basic Comcast without a STB and want to receive HD. The spec does not explicitly say it has a QAM tuner. Is the QAM tuner implied because it is DCR? Or do I need to buy a set that has QAM in the spec?

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 934
Dan~ DCR=Digital Cable Ready....no problem pulling in HD channels with or without the card

Username: Adguy

I hope someone can help.

Is there a cable card out, or coming out soon that will allow me to use Comcast's On Demand service?

I wasn't told when I had a card installed in my Phillips plasma TV last July that I wouldn't have this capability. The tech said that I would need a box, though he'd heard that they (Comcast) were supposed to have a new card out the end of 2006 that would allow this. The rep I just spoke to had no information.

Thanks.

Username: Jaycpee

Simple question. Trenton, nj comcast

have hd stb - what is upside to cc, other than lower monthly fee?

is there a downside? do i lose channel menus? do i lose on-demand [as seems to be stated elsewhere]?

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 946
Tim~ Samsung has the technology for 2 way cable card, although I'm not sure when they are going be releasing it to the consumer market. Hopefully it will make it out before summer, but that's pure speculation on my part.

John~ you would lose access to pay per view, on demand, and the cable company interactive program guide. The benefits are open for debate, personally I feel the PQ is better with the card then a stb. Not having a stb allows you to use features in your tv that you would normally lose when connected with a stb. It is cheaper with the card. The bigger question is what brand of tv is your area experiencing the least amount of problems with? If you get the wrong brand, you may have more problems then you can shake a stick at. Do some research, ask questions and make a decision of the feedback. Waiting for a 2 way version would be a huge factor at this point in the game because it's second generation technology and hopefully it will be a little more reliable then the 1 way proved to be.

Username: Jaycpee

>>The bigger question is what brand of tv is your area experiencing the least amount of problems with? If you get the wrong brand, you may have more problems then you can shake a stick at. Do some research, ask questions and make a decision of the feedback. Waiting for a 2 way version would be a huge factor at this point in the game because it's second generation technology and hopefully it will be a little more reliable then the 1 way proved to be.<<

OK - good advice. Here is the lowdown on my set: Sceptre ala Costco. Killer specs for LCD, 1080p and very advanced multimedia box - thus the interest in CC. Problem is that it is not a popular choice - despite the unbeatable value - cost is rock bottom $1800 for 42 inch size. Add to that the remote addressing is generally sony compatible but the volume control responds to a different code. That means while I have and want to continue using the STB, I still need the set's own remote to control volume, the comcast remote can only handle one code - not their fault.

I am told [by manufacturor] that there are universal remotes that MAY solve this, but I don't wanna spend the 80 bux to be the guinea pig doing the research to see if my specific combo of needs will be resolved.

But that's an aside - Basic questions here is what is the expected time frame for gen 2 CC's to become available?

Username: Easyguy

I have a basic question about Comcast HD fees. I just bought a plasma TV and now want to see HD shows. I'm in Chicago and have a DCT6412/2005 STB which is HDTV ready. I'm getting the Digital Plus package from Comcast. No premium channels.
Do I have to pay an additional fee to see the HD TV shows from the local broadcast stations (NBC ABC FOX etc). I called Comcast customer service who says yes. I also called Comcast technical service who says no - only for the scrambled pay services.

Username: Redneck_mud_runner

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 4
with the Digital Plus you should get the HD simulcasts of your local stations as long as you have a HD STB and are connected properly, you said you have a 6412 that is a HD DVR so you shouldnt have a problem there, but for your tv to show HD you have to connect it to the STB differently.
the 6412 has several output options, coax, composite (Yellow Red White) s-video component and HDMI or DVI
if it is a series 1 or 2 it will have DVI if it is a series 3 it has HDMI

So you want to avoid the coax, composite and s-video outs as they cannot produce HD they will just show a SD stepped-down signal on HD channels

You should go with the HDMI or DVI for best PQ but component cables will get you a good HD picture too
look at the back of your tv, and see if it has DVI or HDMI inputs, then get the appropriate cable, if it is opposite of the STB you can get an adapter cord.
then you will have to go into the 6412's setup menu and select your tv type.
to do this make sure there is nothing recording on the dvr and turn the 6412 off then press menu and highlight 'tv type' press ok, select 16.9 for a widescreen tv or 4.3 for a regular screen, then press power to evit, enjoy

Username: Monahan_z

Wow what a forum! just came across this forum by accident. Great work guys.

OK I am new here. I have read over recent posts and haev not seen an answer so here goes.

I recently got a Samsung 46" LCD TV (Model # LS-4696D). I tried to to get the Comcast (CA,Bay Area) remote to talk to it by putting in the two suggested codes 0245 and 0045. Neither work. Does anybody know a code that works with this remote.

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 22
If you couldn't find a code for your device, or none of the listed codes work, you can try a Code Search. This will step through every code, sending a key until you find one that works, or it cycles back to the beginning.

1. Manually turn on the device you are setting the code for (used to verify you have the proper code).
2. Press and release the device key you want to program.
3. Press and hold the "Setup" key until device key blinks twice.
4. Type in the code 991. The device key should blink twice.
5. Aim the remote at the device and press Power (or Play or some other key that will give an obvious result.)
6. If there is no response, press the device key.
7. Keep repeating the Power (or other) key and device key until you get a response.
8. When you a response, press the "Setup" key to lock the code.

Courtesy, Wiki Books

Thanks for that suggestion Good ol' Boy. However I started that approach and noticed that I may have to press the Setup/power keys 9999 times to make a hit. This seems impractical! Shurely somebody out there has found/knows the majic code by now.

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 23
John, you do have a good point, however even though there are 10,000 possible codes there are gaps in them, and some are for other devices so there are usually only a couple hundred codes for a tv.

In my experience i usually get the right code within a minute or two, you should be able to eliminate all possible tv codes within 5 to 7 minutes. Dont get going too fast though it is easy to accidentally 'pass' the correct code and that can be very aggravating, lol.

You might try the Sanyo or Mitsubishi codes too
Best of luck

Will try and report back if success

Username: Tedkoly

Is anyone familiar with Miglia products. They are USB compatible tuners. Coax in one end, usb out the other end. I am looking at upgrading to their TVMini HD which supports ClearQAM and ATSC. DO I need to get a STB from Comcast? Either way, do I need to upgrade to their digital package to get HD content? And do I need to pay the extra $5 for HD on top of anything else? If someone knows what (if any) increase in digital content I'll receive by going to digital and then adding the HD package, that information would be very helpful.

Thanks, great forum.

Username: User

Mburg

Michael, interesting product, i have seen but one of these in all of my installations.

the problem that exists is this.
usually when a CATV Sub. gets a box, they align their account number to that box.
this then lets them get the desired packages they have paid for.

with the USB device, there is no STB or CC to align the package with.

I have noticed that a few of the newer TV's out there actually pick up a few Digital channels in our area(an hour from DC, Comcast), mainly the music channels and a few movie channels that only fill about half or 1/4 of the screen.

with the new regulations coming down about going to digital in '09, i dont really know what this means to the rest of us "analog only" users, or how the USB adaptors will work.

hope this helps.

Reporting back on the Comcast controller. The search mode did seem t pick up something to turn the Samsung LCD off. But not on again or more importantly volume control.

Resolved to using two remotes!

Username: Poger67

Philadelphia, PA

Wow, I wish I had found this board yesterday! I just ordered a Panasonic TH42PX600U yesterday after talking to 3 different Comcast reps about HD service in Philadelphia.

According to Comcast, to get HD with an HDMI output, I HAD to also get their DVR at $11.95 per month. They claimed that their HD STBs only did DVI, and other forums I read gave mixed reviews on converting DVI to HDMI. However, Comcast said they have "plenty" of CableCARDs available and I could pick one of those up.

So I ordered the more expensive Panasonic plasma that has the CableCARD support and now I read here that I lose the on screen guide, PPV and On Demand! Damn those people at Comcast for not mentioning this in the first place! If it weren't for the fact that they own the local sports teams, and if I want to watch them, I HAVE to have Comcast, I'd be done with them in a heartbeat...

Username: Coolcatkoko

I have a question for you guys.
I recently bought an LCD TV and have the Scientific Atlanta 3100hd Cable box. Now i receive about 9 channels in HD, ESPN ESPN2 CSN INHD Discovery HD UHD. If i was to get a cable card for that box, would i then revive ABC FOX CBS and all the local stations in hi-Def?

And with ATSC how do i properly set that up to use it to its fullest?

Username: Mikeh11

Arlington, VA United States

Hey, all; new user here. Purchased a Toshiba 42LX196 LCD just last week, and have been having trouble with Comcast installation of CableCard. The card installed well first time; but reception ceased a couple of hours after the technician left. Called Comcast service; and they were able to get it up & running again via network hit -- but, again, CableCard lost signal within a few hours. ('CP Status screen in CableCard menu reports 'CP Auth Recieved', but also "PowerKey Status: Not Ready - Waiting for Time"). I called and reuqested another technician visit; he came, claimed the signal going through my RF distibution module (a Leviton - with 2-way 2-Gz capability) was the problem; and he was able to get the system working by connecting directly to a splitter from the main cable feed. All was fine for about 24 hours... BUT, I've lost signal again - and I found that I can restore it by unplugging the TV, and then re-plugging it in; this seems to reset the CableCard, and it does recieved authoriztion from the network and starts up fine. This has now happend twice in 2 days, and I've got no confidence it will fix itself; so, my question is: do I have a cable signal problem, or (more likely in my opinion) is there a problem with this specific CableCard or the way I'm provisioned at the control center?

My next step would be to call and ask Comcast to replace the card -- to see if that fixes the problem. Appreciate any ideas on other choices, and thanks.. Mike H. (this Toshiba, with Cablecard and TV Guide On Screen, will be a great wall-mounted system not needing an STB.. - really nice HD reception, but only if it's a lot more reliable than now..)

To Michael Halladay:

Logically speaking, it would appear that the cable card you have is vulnerable to some type of external electrical interference (a "hit" on the line, as they say) that causes it to "latch up."

The fact that it gets hung until you forcibly reset it could mean a poor (not robust!) design. I would definitely get another cable card, which could prove to not be as susceptible.

The alternative is that your TV is experiencing "out of spec" voltage fluctuations periodically, upsetting the cable card. But I would try another card and see how long (if at all) it takes to get hung.

If the problem persists, it might be useful if you notice exactly when the cable card gets hung. Is it when the TV is first powered up? Does the signal go away without warning while you are watching TV? Does it get hung perhaps when a nearby electrical appliance is turned on?

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 975
.....and when you get another cable card and that doesn't resolve your problem, do you plan on calling Toshiba at some point to see if they are aware of the problem you are describing and what do they have to say about it? You'll be amazed at the answer you get.

cableguy -- well..., you've certainly piqued my curiosity! I have surfed the Toshiba site and also searched for any firmware updates for this model, but have found nothing. You also appear to be sceptical that a different cable card will make any difference..; or am I reading more into your statement than you meant?

As for next step if / when needed; do you suggest calling their Customer Service Group at 800-631-3811..., or might you have info on access to other tech assistance there which may be better?

Thanks, MH

cableguy / others -- I wanted to upload screenshots of the Toshiba 42LX192 "Cablecard" menu, in case someone may see some data which may point towards a solution - but size limitations prevent anything readable. I can report that data in the "Firmware Version Report" line of one of the diagnostic screens is scrambled (that is, it's just a jumble of mostly graphic or non-displayble characters), and that "Diagnostics denied" appears in a number of other lines (these include 'Software Version Report', 'MAC Address Report', 'FAT Status Report', 'FDC Status Report', 'Current Channel Report', '1394 Port Report', and DVI Status Report'). Seeing this type of info is the reason I suspect a problem in the card. (and, J. Cappello, I am thinking about what type of situations seems to cause this, but so far it's quite variable - it can happen when I'm flipping channels, or upon turning the set on..)

Again, I thank you all for any input. Mike H.

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 976
Michael "well..., you've certainly piqued my curiosity! I have surfed the Toshiba site and also searched for any firmware updates for this model, but have found nothing. You also appear to be sceptical that a different cable card will make any difference..; or am I reading more into your statement than you meant?"
You're not going to find anything on their website indicating the problem you are having. If you call into their support line and ask them if they are having any problems along the lines of which you have posted here, you'll find the problem is bigger then just your cable card. If you don't get a direct answer ask them to put you through to a supervisor, I forget his name, but your eyes will be opened.

As for the diagnostic screen reports you're not going to find anything in there of use for the problems you are having. However in your earlier thread you did mention: ('CP Status screen in CableCard menu reports 'CP Auth Recieved', but also "PowerKey Status: Not Ready - Waiting for Time") If you go into the cable card diagnostic you can check the current date/time and see if it matches current date/time. You may have checked that screen to soon after a reboot. The card was working prior and then quit. In order for the card to have been working it had to have the correct date and time at that point. You also mentioned that you were able to get it working again by rebooting the TV. This is a classic example no interaction with the cable company and you restored services. The tech support at Toshiba would love to hear from you.

Cableguy - A quick update: I continue to have the problem of loss of signal, now occurring just about every day -- These are exact same symptoms as "George Veillette" described in Feb 15 post in 'HDTV Reception>CableCARD problems!' thread ( "Cable Guy, I have a Toshiba HDTV, Comcast Cable,Scientific Atlanta Cable card. Every so often in the morning when I turn on the TV it is locked on channel 3 and the screen says "Acquiring channel info" if I try to change the channel. If I unplug the TV and turn it back on it will return to normal operation. Comcast says the cable cards they have are not compaible with Toshiba TV's, Scientific Atlanta says the problem is with the firmware which should be updated by Comcast. What is your take on this problem?" )

Toshiba Advanced Systems folks have tried to be quite helpful; and their take is that I definitely should get Comcast to upgrade the Scientific Atlanta CableCARD OS to the newer 'P2' version (currently-installed card has OS dated May 2005). They've even sent e-mail requests to Comcast asking for them to upgrade my OS, but got a very bureaucratic answer back from Comcast about 'needing more information'. The Comcast technicians I've dealt with so far have also tried to solve my problem (3 more field visits, with different cards installed but problem recurs); but they don't have knowledge of or access to this 'P2' OS update. They've said that they'll check into it, but nothing seems to be moving forward. I'm going to try to move up the chain with Comcast; but I'm wondering what your advice on this 'P2' OS update would be; and any thoughts about how to get action from Comcast?

Thanks, Mike H.

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 979
Mike~

Do you have the TV guide on screen feature with your TV?

Post Number: 5
Cableguy - Yes, I do, and it works quite well - even with mapping channels to the cableCARD - when the basic Comcast connection is maintained so that program info is recieved when TV is powered off.

I'm guessing you may be thinking about the process of having the TV detect channels without the card, manually setting the time, and then inserting the cableCARD, perhaps? I tried that, and it didn't fix the problem; and in fact I also asked the Toshiba Advanced Systems guy about this - and he said that the time setting from the On-screenTVGuide was separate from the cableCARD date/time process. There is an interesting anomoly that I've noticed, however: when citing the cableCARD errors to the Toshiba folks (by going into the 'secret' on-screen menus), the errors I get when the cableCARD loses reception are off by at least 30 days.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and perspectives.

Mike H.

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 980
That's not what I was saying...check your email

Username: Enyce9

Michael Halladay
I am having the exact same problem with my new Toshiba 42LZ196. I was wondering if the situation has been resolved?
I have had cablevision come out twice and install a new SA card each time. My symptoms are exactly the same as yours, incorrect time in diagnostics screen, odd characters on firmware version line. I am also not receiving emm's on the info screen. Have you contacted Toshiba?

Michael Halladay

I think the tv needs a firmware update.
I just finished updating my firmware to a March 2007 firmware, called cablevision had them hit my cablecard and I started getting an EMM count, all of my channels started coming in. We will see what happens overnight.
Hope this helps.

At around 10:00 PM turned on the tv only to see the acquiring channel info screen, so I removed the card and reinserted, Watched tv via STB. In the morning the tv seemed to be working all channels comming in I am recieving ECM but no EMM at all, so I am a bit worried. I have two other cable cards installed in two sony dhg-hdd500's and both have an EMM # of 51.

Cableguy what do you think of the situation?

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 981
anytime you eject the card you are going to have an EMM count of 0. There is nothing wrong with that.

Ok thanks cableguy

Well Micheal it looks as if i am in the same boat as you. I contacted toshiba because after the firmware upgrade of the tv, it is working much better but not perfect. In the short time after the upgrade, about 20% of the time do I have to eject the card and reinsert. They recommend the SA P2 cablecard firmware and are putting in a request to cablevision. Only one problem tho, according to toshiba the P2 firmware may not be available in my area.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 982
P2 firmware will not fix the problem..stay tuned

Post Number: 6
My Toshiba 42LX196 w/ Sci-Atl CableCARD on Comcast's Arlington, VA, system is still losing reception routinely -- but it did seem to get better after a full system-level reset (via the Toshiba's 'installation/system info' menu). I elected to not initialize the TVGOS after the reset (as a test - to see if this made a difference), and the CableCARD recieved CP Auth just fine and all channels (including HBO & all HD channels) are recieved fine. This worked just fine for about 4 days - which was a new record for continuous reception - but then I lost reception as before. I ejected/reinserted the CableCARD to regain reception; and then went ahead and initialized TVGOS...-> this resulted in good reception for about 3 1/2 days; again, this was much better than before; but I did lose reception again.

All of this was about a week ago; since then I have been losing reception about every day or so - back to 'normal', unfortunately. I am in touch with a Comcast supervisor who says that he's taking my issue up with the Headend Engineer in Alexandria/Arlington (my provider in Virginia); and I'm also in touch with Toshiba Advanced Systems tech folks. They've been exchanging messages about my situation; but Comcast has not yet told me of how they might get a fix to me. The Toshiba folks have provided instructions for a firmware update which they assert is optimized for the newer Sci-Atl 'p2' OS. I have not yet executed this update as I'm leaving town in a few hours and I don't want the family to possibly have a 'dead' TV ;-) --and now, I see that Cableguy expresses doubt about the 'p2' as a solution. I've told both Comcast and Toshiba that I really don't care if it's the 'p2' update or not -- I just want a reliably-working CableCARD connection with TVGOS also working well (which it does now - when reception is okay).

"Stay tuned" you say, Cableguy... any idea how long we need to be patient? ..or what we should be looking for?

Thanks for listening; I will report back my experience with the Toshiba FW update - but this will not be until early next week.

Mike H.

Post Number: 5
Well mike since the toshiba firmware update Sun afternoon I have had only one dropout, and that was sun night, and my tvgos is rock solid, a full 8 days of program info. If you have not updated the tv firmware I would asap.
According to toshiba, they are working with Sci-Atl to try and resolve this problem, with a cablecard firmware that they are testing, that is newer than P2 and S2. All we can do is wait.

CableGuy, I have learned a lot from your various posts, thankyou.
But my questions are:
1: Why do you think the P2 firmware will not help? 2: Is the 2.3.149p2 the latest firmware or is 2.3.149s2?
3:Have you done any Sci-Atl cablecard installs with the toshiba Regza line of tvs that Michael and I currently own? And what has been the outcome?
Thankyou again for all of your help.

Username: Bill_h

CT

Mike and Kevin

I have owned a Toshiba 42HL196 since 11/06 and have had problems with the loss of the channel map with an SA cablecard. As was noted, the TV stays on channel 3 and that's all you can get on Antenna 1 until you re-boot the TV. I started out with Adelphia cable here in CT and transitioned to Comcast after Adelphia was bought out. The cablecard firmware installed back in November was the May 2005 version 2.3.149 S2. I was also told by Toshiba advanced systems group that the P2 firmware for the SA card would fix the problem and they contacted the headend engineer to try to get that to happen. It took quite a while.

That firmware was downloaded to my card finally in February and the new firmware is dated May 2006. On the cablecard screen it is referred to as 2.3.149.3. It seemed like it did the trick for about a week. Unfortunately the problem didn't go away totally, although I would say that it probably happens less frequently. My longest up time for the TV without an issue has been 16 days, but sometimes it will happen 2 days in a row. Toshiba admitted that the new firmware doesn't fix this problem in all TV/Cable company situations. As frustrating as it is sometimes, I have to sympathize with them having to troubleshoot such an intermittent problem. They claim that their engineering dept has modified a TV's firmware to gather more failure data and they have tried unsuccessfully to fix the problem on the TV side.

After months of observation, I have seen that the cablecard reboots multiple times and the re-boots of the card do not always cause a TV problem. When the TV goes to channel 3 and the channel map is lost, the TV logs an error 53 which is called "slow response to request." This error listing is on the TV's diagnostic pages available through the Setup/Installation/System Status menu.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?? I was told yesterday that SA has been working with Toshiba and SA is testing a new firmware version that they think may fix the problem. So quoting a famous cableguy......stay tuned.

Bill H.

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 984
Bill~ you're on the right track and I can't go into detail but patience is a virtue :-)

Post Number: 7
Bill - Your symptoms and error message (#53) are the same as I'm experiencing with my 42LX196 (purchased as a showroom model in March 2007, with manufacture date of 8/2006). Toshiba Advanced Services Group folks have been quite responsive in providing information and offering suggestions; my Comcast provider has not yet seen fit to upgrade the SA OS to the P2 version - but maybe that's okay as it appears it would only get me some more stability and not a full fix, based on your experience.

As you and Cableguy have said; patience appears to be the way to go at this time -- I just do hope that the folks working on this at SA & Toshiba and whoever else do realize they've got customers like us anxiously awaiting a solution.

M.H.

Post Number: 6
Michael have you received the p2 firmware? If so has it helped?

Post Number: 8
Kevin - No; Comcast tech. support folks have not provided this upgraded firmware to me as of yet. I'm not sure what has been happening; but for some reason my CableCARD connection has been much more stable over the last week - reception has not gone down for 7 or 8 days now. I still am waiting for a solid solution from the Toshiba / Sci-Atl collaboration, and in the meantime performance for me has been better. Mike H.

CT

Mike,
I think there must be a balance in nature. My cablecard connection has been worse lately. And, of course, I have the P2 firmware. It has even screwed up quite a few times while we were watching it. That was usually a rare thing.
Bill H.

Post Number: 9
Bill -- Have you been in touch with Toshiba Advanced Services Groups folks? - They may be able to provdied some updated firmware for this line of TVs which may help.. they don't claim that it's the 'final solution', but they did give me access to it; and it may be what's been helping my situation. (BTW, I have only experienced reception drops a few times while watching the TV; most recently, with the newer TV firmware, the CableCARD appeared to re-boot itself, without me having to eject / reinstall the CARD or unplug the TV. For me, this is progress!) Mike H.

CT

Mike,
I haven't talked to them in about a month. I was told a couple of months ago that a firmware update for the TV existed, but they said that it would not fix the loss of channel map problem that I have.

The multiple failures while watching the set is a new one for me. Up to now, it was rare to get a failure while we were watching it.

As far as cablecard re-boots are concerned....I have observed many times that the cablecard had rebooted without the tv rebooting. Sometimes that reboot doesn't cause the tv to fail and sometimes it does. Usually the logged error #53 is a guarantee that I will only have channel 3.

BTW, I reboot the set by pushing and holding the power button on the front of the set for about 10 seconds(that procedure is in the owners manual). When you hold the button in long enough you will here a couple of what appears to be relay clicks and the red LED next to the blue power LED will start flashing. After quite a few minutes the channel map will return and the cable card and the tv will indicate that they were both re-booted. I don't think it's a great idea to keep unplugging the card as many times as we have to. The power button reset seems the safest and most convenient way to reboot.

I will probably call the advances systems group this week for a status.
Bill H.

Post Number: 10
Bill - Appreciate getting update from you; and would be interested in what the Toshiba folks say about status of this issue (as I mentioned in an earlier note, they did provide an 'interim' FW update, which they thought might help, but they certainly didn't promise it would solve the issue. I haven't been in touch with them for a couple of weeks, myself.)

Also, I had not realized that a reset was possible by holding the power button down -- and I'll probably switch to this approach. I agree w/ you that too much ejecting / re-inserting the card can't be good over a long-term, but the reason I had been doing this is that the Toshiba folks asked me to report the CableCARD error codes to them, and a power reset erases those codes -- the #53 code is also what I get, and I don't think they need additional data on this..

Mike H.

Username: Snoopypood

Grand Rapids, MI US

Hi. I ran across this site because I have problems with my Comcast cablecard. On June 8, 2007 Comcast installed a cablecard in my Pioneer Elite PRO1140HD TV. It worked great for a couple of days. Suddenly, I lost all channels between 31 and 230. These are mostly digital channels with a few HD channels on the high end. I called Comcast and the "sent a signal" to the TV and everything returned. It has now done this 3 times within the past 10 days. I've hooked the TV directly to the input from Comcast as well as through a Channelmaster powered distribution system and the results are the same. Any ideas from anyone?

Username: Vincent52

Snoopypood,

This is 100% a Comcast issue. I have a Mitsubushi 46231 with the same problem, channels 31 and up stop working. If you have the patience, just keep calling them. They are aware of the problems and we just have to keep hitting them in the pocket book until they issue new cards. I call about once a week and every time a clueless technician comes out to my house and replaces the card. Basically, pulling the card out and sticking it back in usually fixes the problem for a few days. After a year of this, maybe they will get the message.

Username: Npool

great forum! Please help. I just got off the phone with Comcast (South Florida) to upgrade to their digital starter service + HD package. they told me that I can either get the HD box for $6.95/mo + $19.99 installation fee, or pay a $30 one-time fee for their cable card. Both my TVs have CC slots (Samsung HL-R5678W and Panasonic TH-42PX60U). They pushed for the HD box (I assume for the revenue) and said that if I used the CC, I would not be able to get the Comcast menu screen (no big deal since I use TiVo's), but more importantly, I wouldn't be able to access the On-Demand programs (obviously a big deal). I have two questions: 1) Is this really true? 2) Are there any compatibility issues you can foresee regarding my TVs and Comcast, using their cable cards? (connectivity is through a distribution hub with Tivo hooked up in front of Samsung. Thanks in advance, NP

CT

NP,
Current TVs only support a version of Cablecard that allows one way communication. For that reason the "no on-demand" is correct. As far as compatibily issues with Comcast and the Cablecards, that's a complicated one. I have a 2006 Toshiba HDTV and Cablecard that I use with Comcast in New England. There are occasional crashes with the card/TV combination that requires a re-boot of the TV. As I understand it, this is an issue of compatibilty with the Scientific Atlanta Cablecard, my TV, and the Comcast digital transmission in my area. My model TV, I am told, works with SA Cablecards in some Comcast areas, but not all. Maybe someone else in the forum has experience with your TVs with Comcast/Cablecard.
Bill H.

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 991
1) Yes it's true, you cannot access they on demand services with a CC, nor their guide. You are correct though in that your Tivo will provide a guide for you.
2)The only problems you're going to have is the cards are will not be capable of providing switched digital channels, which may mean you not only won't get new ones, but you may lose some of the existing channels as well.
You didn't mention what version of Tivo you're using though...that would help.

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 992
lmao Bill...you finished writing your response before I did.

Username: Jbcrwentz

Lilburn, GA USA

Have TV with a CableCard and am adding a TIVO series3 with 2 CableCard slots on the same outlet. Comcast is not charging for the 1st CC, but can't get a straight answer as to how much CC #2 & #3 will cost. Looks like #2 will be $1.91/month. Anybody know what the 3rd CC on an outlet will cost?
Called Comcast to order additional CC's and was told that I would have to go to local Comcast store and purchase them myself. Closest store was 15 miles away and when I got there was told, "we don't have them (never have), you have to get CC's from the Comcast installer".

Bill - thank you for you fast comments and advice. I will try to look further into the tv/comcast/cc compatibility issue in my area. Maybe someone else can post here too.

cableguy - thank you also for your quick response. sorry, I failed to mention that I have a Tivo series-2 (about 5-6 years old now) and yesterday realized that I probably won't be able to record any of the channels on Comcast's Digital Standard service since the tivo box is analog. Given that, should I just ebay my Tivo box (with lifetime service) and replace it for $5/more/mo with Comcast's HD DVR (a Motorola 6412)?

On another note, I've heard some rumors that TiVo has worked out a deal to manufacture a DVR for Comcast, who will then rent it for around $1/mo. Release is supposed to be Q4 this year, though Comcast wouldn't confirm or deny.
Thanks, NP

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 993
NP~ What ever decision you make with your Tivo series 2 is up to you. You could go with a DVR from Comcast, or you could go with the newer HD Tivo that only requires 1 M card in place of the 2 S cards. This does bring up a nice point about purchasing equipment that gets outdated versus renting from the cable providers. Cash and carry is just that, and consequences like your scenario are exactly why I don't like the purchase side of equipment. You could turn around and buy the new HD Tivo (which is only 1 way) and odds are within a year the 2way version will be available and the 1 way is obsolete. So I guess my recomendation would be to rent until you see a time to purchase and see where it gets you in the long run.

As to your other question, I don't work for them and I haven't heard anything regarding that deal.

Username: Soltvedt

Bill H Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 04:16 pm:
-----------------------------------------------
Current TVs only support a version of Cablecard that allows one way communication. For that reason the "no on-demand" is correct.
-----------------------------------------------

I stumbled onto this forum while looking for information regarding TV's that will support 2-way CableCards. Does anyone know WHERE to look to be kept up-to-date on when these displays will become available, or what the industry will be "calling" this feature? (Will they just call it a "2-way CableCard compatible" display?)

Is there a good resource I could be directed to regarding this topic?

cableguy - thank you for your help and advice. The buy vs. rent subject is becoming more of an issue as competition increases and technology improves. I decided to rent Comcast's HD DVR and sell my older TiVo until I see what the next generation DVRs brings. They installed it today and I can tell you one thing: TiVo's functionality (especially recording Season passes, and menus) are a world better than Motorola's. Hopefully, TiVo rolls out a box for Comcast soon. Cheers and thanks again. NP

Username: Adguy

Cableguy- About a year and a half ago I purchased 2 Phillips 42" plasma TV's (model # 42pf7320A/37). Several months ago one of the TV's would click to a black screen roughly 12-15 minutes after being turned on, though the green power light would remain on. During this time, the power could not be turned off, either by the remote or the power button on the TV and we would hear an audible clicking sound...the same sound we hear when normally turning the TV on or off. Eventually the screen message we typically get upon startup ("The CableCARD us initialized. The TV is switched to the CableCARD based favorite channel list") would appear and we could resume watching TV for several minutes before it would shut down again.

I've had Comcast out several times, thinking it was either a line or CableCARD problem. We're getting a good signal, and have tried 5 or 6 different cableCARDS with no luck. The last ComCAST techs suggestd the problem might be in the TV, possible the tuner. The TV is out of its one year warranty and I'm not anxious to take it down and send it to be checked out out if the problem likely lies in the CableCARD. (The other, identical TV is working fine)

Any thoughts? Have you heard of any similar problems with this Phillips model?

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 996
Tim~ I can't say I have a clue due to the fact I'm not a tv repairman. The minimum you could do is contact Philips and have them verify you don't need any firmware updates. Something you could try is removing the cable card from the tv and see if that improves the "on" performance. If it does, it would indicate there is something wrong with the tv when the card is inserted and that would have to be left up to Philips to determine what is causing the problem. When you eject the card from the slot, just eject it far enough to lose contact with the pins, but don't take it all the way out. This will ensure you don't bend pins putting it back in, and you shouldn't have any problems if you put it back in the same tv. Keyword being shouldn't :-)

I have not heard of this from anybody I know with a Philips brand cable card tv.

I am looking for information regarding TV's that will support 2-way CableCards. Are there any on the market at this time? Is there a good resource I could be directed to regarding these types of displays?

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 997
soltvedt~ there are no tv's that are available on the market, but you can read about the progress at www*opencable*com/ocap/ (replace the * with .)

cableguy- Thanks for the reply. I'm amazed at how far away these 2-way displays are. I was thinking that we would see a bunch coming to market in the next few months (in line with the Christmas shopping and Superbowl shopping boom).

From the articles that I found, it sounds like Samsung will be one of the first, followed closely by Panasonic and LG (if I'm not mistaken...not really sure though).

I don't think anyone has any idea WHEN these will be available yet though.

Username: Acp

All,
I recently bought a Pioneer PDP-4271HD tv. I had a Comcast tech come out to "install" the CableCard. A very nice, but inept, tech arrived at my house, proceeded to insert the card and then turn the tv on and off. This process repeated for approximately half an hour, at which point he said that the card was not "activated," and all I needed to do was call Comcast and get the card "activated."

I have now called Comcast multiple times to "activate" the card, and have been told each and every time that the card would be "activated" within a few hours, which of course has not changed anything. When the coax cable alone is attached to Ant A, I have no trouble receiving a signal. However, if I insert the SA CableCard, I lose all signal, and am unable to access the Tuner Setup option on the Home Menu. I am by no means a cable expert. Can anyone tell me if this is a Comcast/CableCard issue or a TV issue?

Thanks,
A.C.

Username: Shaggs666

Lewistown, PA USA

I've been on hold for the past 25 mins with Comcast. I have an HDTV and am subscribed to the HD service. I get all the HD channels like Discovery HD, ESPN HD... however the local channels such as FOX, CBS..etc. I don't get in HD as advertised. I know all of the programming is not in HD but NFL games are supposed to be. COMCAST advertises them as HD on their website and on the guide on my tv they are listed as HD. However they look like crap right now. I talked to someone at COMCAST and they gave me the runaround about they can only broadcast what the station provides them. I called BS and told them they were advertising it as HD as well and he put me on hold so someone else could answer me. So here I sit watching a crappy picture that should be HD.

Username: Lollonais

cable guy,
what are the chances that if I buy a Scientific Atlanta PowerKEY cable card from ebay, that I will be able to pick up all HD channels from Comcast in FL. I get leakers, about 10 of them, but I want them all.

Username: Buffal0s0uljah

Hi,

First time poster here. I'm relatively new to HDTV so please bear with me. I'm strongly considering purchasing a Sharp Aquos LC-32G4U which is an older model LCD, HD-ready TV with no built in tuner and no Cable Card slot (says it requires a seperate DTV decoder).

Anyway, I subscribe to Comcast and have the digital starter. I was wondering how I would go about getting the HDTV channels. What would be the options and limitations? Since the TV has no built in HDTV tuner I assume I'd need the DTV decoder. I'm strapped for cash so I really can't see myself leasing a Comcast HD receiver or paying for their HD package. So to put it simply, given my limitations, whats the best options to view the readily available HD stations/broadcasts and how would I go about doing this? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Username: Jokur1853

My friend had a cable installer who happened to be in the neighborhood run a cable into his apartment. The my friend connected the cable to an old pioneer box. Now he gets basic and standard cable from Time Warner. I pay 50.00 per month for the exact same thing. Why is this when everyone says you cant do it?

Username: Lynneldh

I am getting Comcast service in Utah and want to purchase an HDTV that will work with a cable card.
Best Buy and Circuit City were not helpful. Does anyone know which brands support a cable card?
Thanks!

Username: Jbcrwentz

Lilburn, GA USA

Lynne - Virtually every major brand of HDTV supports the cablecard except VIZIO. I googled the question and found the following brands with at least one cablecardd model: Sharp, Samsung, Sony, Sanyo, LG, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Philips, Panasonic, Pioneer, Toshiba, and Westinghouse. TIVO has bet its future on the cablecard now that their two latest models require 1 or 2 cablecards. I have had a Samsung 61" DLP HDTV w/ cablecard for 18 months and love it. Just added a TIVO HD w/ 2 more cablecards and all is working well.

Username: Lynneldh

Clyde,
Thanks so much for the info but I am interested in buying the hdtvs for the bedroom so would like 26-32 inch tvs. Can u help me find some with cablecards?
Thanks again.

Username: Fuhuru84

Lancaster, PA United State...

Hey Guys, I just thought I'd Share with you something that I came across yesterday that really caught my eye and I think it would catch yours too. Click Here and check it out for yourself.

Username: Justmescotty

Peterborough, New hampshire Usa

lol tv to pc sucks unless u just want some channels crapy channels, u don't even get any cable channels like tbs nbc abc cbs tvland gsn or anything else.don't waist your money on that ****
anyways i have comcast basic cable cost me 16.50 a month,i used to pay like 159.95 per months witch inclues phone digital cable and internet,too much 4 me 2 pay lol anyways i just bought me a new tivo thats the way to go if u have basic cable and u want the dvr and program guide tivo is only 12.95 per month or 129.95 a year or 299.95 for 3 yrs unlike comcast was charning me 24.95 witch comes to same price if i had 3yrs from tivo saves of 2 yrs from tivo.what would u rather spend 299.95 per yr from comcast or 299.95 for 3 yrs do that match
and yes i use cable card no more stupid cable box needed lol and picture is the best just like if i had directv but better, oh yeah i get more channels with tivo then what comcast is letting me it. lol

Username: Georg15232

Comcast has a monopoly on cable t.v service. They are an illegal organization.

Username: Sushantmantri

Sterling, VA USA

Hi,

I have recently bought an LCD TV. I have basic comcast channels working on my CRT TV right now. I dont know if they are digital or HD channels. I am wondering if I plug the coaxial cable coming out of the wall socket into my HDTV, will the TV pick up HD channels by itself or do I need to buy a set top box? Please help.

Username: Unjustin

Seattle, WA US

Comcast recently began scrambling all the upper numbers channels 30 - 99 that i used to receive and record with my Sony DVR Qam. i am and have always been paying for Comcast digital silver and as long as don't want to record anything. i can use their little set top box (DTA) to unscramble and receive those rascally channels to watch in real time.. But sometimes i just want to record and watch later (time shift) The DTA is not a route to programming or time shifting anything, it just unscrambles and its channel has to be a one-channel. The local Comcast office just blows me off saying the don't support Sony and don't have a cable card for my DVR. The FCC told them they HAD to allow customers to own their own equipment back in 1996 and after several appeals (Comcast lost) they ARE finally supporting the Tivo. They ARE supporting Sony cable cards for Philly, Pennsylvania and over two years ago, Comcast signed a peace agreement with Sony in Switzerland over this issue. My local office says i have to use their crappy Motorola box or do without. Who can i get in Washington State Government to lean on them ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us