Cox DVR to VCR

Username: Mary1986

Post Number: 1
Hello, I have a Cox DVR 8240. I am trying to transfer my recordings from my DVR to my VCR. I've talked to the people at cox and they don't know anything,lol. On my DVR it says to " connect VCR inputs to cable box outputs out2/vcr and set the vcr input to record from the cable box". I did that and all that was recorded was black/white snow. Can someone please help me?
I'm also not sure what they meant by the "set vcr out put to record from cable box" I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Username: Missionimpossible

Post Number: 1
i too have a cox dvr dch3416 HDMI recorder. i want to transfer hours of footage to a dvd or to my laptop/pc. i purchased penacle dazzle transferring device but have not figured out how to use it yet. cox obviously wont help with this but a guy at best buy says it is do-able. i understand that you have to be ready to record EVERYTHING that is saved on the DVR so clean it up first and let it run over night. MY Question is can anyone tell me what to hook up and where?

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 156
Mary,

How do you have your TV connected to the 8240?
Your answer will determine how to do what you want to do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
Junetta,

You should have started your own message because your DVR model is different and because what you want to do is different.

It confuses people when they answer.

That said, read the manual for your DVR.
http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Business/Products/TV%20Video%20Distribution/ Set-tops/QAM%20Set-tops/All%20Digital%20QAM%20Set-tops/DCH3416/_Documents/Static %20Files/DCH3416_User_Guide_537529-001-c.pdf

Post Number: 2
Hi LK

My cable from the wall is connected to my DVR and then there is another cable connected to the DVR to the TV. Oh and I have a 8240HDC

Post Number: 3
My cable from my wall is connected to the DVR and then there is another cable from the DVR to the TV. Oh and I have a 8240HDC

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
Mary,

The cable from the DVR to the TV, is it a coax cable or a HDMI cable?

Username: Missionimpossible

Post Number: 2
Thanks LK. You are so right. However in reviewing other threads, i found my answer and i am sitting right now recording from my DVR directly to a DVD and it is extremely simple.

For those of you who are not that computer savvy, here is what you do. I cant remember where i got it from, but it helped me the most.

"The solution is actually very easy. A video capture device is needed, many of them are USB so they will work on any PC that is reasonably new. Most of these devices come with some basic software, that will be use to capture, and if desired, to remove part of the video like comercials.
Simply plug the device into your PC (USB usually) and then plug the device into your video out connectors on your DVR. I have the SA device. Set the software to caputre from the inputs, then set the DVR to record to VCR.
I have not found a fast way, so I must play through the entire recording at normal speed. When completed, set your PC software to end the capture. The video software then will allow you to view the file, and if you choose, delete sections like commercials.
Simple, easy and really only requires your DVR to have record to VCR and for you to purchase a simple video capture device. "

I already had the Pinnacle Dazzle DVD RECORDER soft and hardware.- about $40

In fact, i dont play the entire clip, i record the part i want or fast forward while it is copying and go to the next part or the next show. it continues to record on the cd and you can go back and cut out all of the stuff you dont want. IT REALLY WORKS AND THE QUALITY IS GREAT.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
"it continues to record on the cd and you can go back and cut out all of the stuff you dont want."

huh? go back and cut out what?

I hope you meant DVD and not CD.

You should try playing this DVD you have just recorded in pieces on a settop DVD player (ie not in your PC's DVD drive).

Post Number: 4
LK,
The cable from my DVR to the TV is the HDMI cable

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
Mary,

the manual for your DVD is at
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/ExplorerClubGuides/getting_started/4010317.pdf

Go to to page 5.
And see the section Optional Connections to a VCR (choose one). Make those video+audio connections.

This will allow you to archive the video from the DVR to the VCR tape.

Once you have the video on the VHS tape, if you want to watch it on your TV, that's another story.

Post Number: 5
Hi LK,

IT WORKS!, thanks for your help. I was about to tear my hair out trying to get this thing to work.

I have a seperate tv/vcr I can watch tapes on.

thanks again
Mary

Post Number: 6
Hi Lk,

IT WORKS!, thanks for your help. I was about to tear my hair out trying to get this thing to work.
I have a seperate tv/vcr I can watch tapes on.

thanks again
Mary

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
Hi, Mary,

glad you have it working
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?