Intel charged by NY state

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 16481
The New York Attorney General's office today accused chip maker Intel of engaging in a worldwide, systematic campaign of illegal conduct, including paying kickbacks and threatening computer makers, and filed federal antitrust charges against it.
A 67 page PDF is available at Zdnet site.

Plaintiff State of New York, by its Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo, alleges upon information and belief the following against Defendant Intel Corporation (Intel):

I. INTRODUCTION
1. Intel has engaged in a systematic worldwide campaign of illegal, exclusionary conduct to maintain its monopoly power and prices in the market for x86 microprocessors, the
"brains" of Personal Computers ("PCs"). By exacting exclusive or near-exclusive agreements from large computer makers (Original Equipment Manufacturers or OEMs) in exchange for
payments totaling billions of dollars, and threatening retaliation against any company that did not heed its wishes, Intel robbed its competitors of the opportunity to challenge Intel's dominance in key segments of the market. This illegal behavior was highly detrimental to consumers, competition, and innovation.

Username: Somi

Post Number: 5
Hello Nalin Nyda
could you please help me what kind of reciver and dish for (more indians and pak chanals) can i buy from Trancat Elctoronics, and also please guied me for instalation,

Thanks

Somi

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16484
Somi: The subject matter has been discussed extensively in the following thread and many others.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/594450.html

Silver Member
Username: Dishlover

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 387
Nalin: Can Internet on USB works with Kbox Prodigy and how to hooke with IHub and use as internet on computer at the same time. Thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16486
"Internet on USB"
What you mean is that your browser is on USB. Your internet is accessed though your Modem (either via Telco line or via cable) to your router and that is where you tap the router for connecting to your khub and/or to your computer's Ethernet device.
What this means is that your computer Internet connection and your khub internet connection work in parallel together or independent of each other, and your browsing using IE or Firefox is just one facet of your internet connection to the computer.
Please feel free to ask more, if you I have not understood your question correctly.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16487
Here is a simple diagram.

application/mswordUpload
dataflow.doc (25.1 k)

Silver Member
Username: Sump

Post Number: 849
this diagram a joke right ??

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16488
sump: You better take the Cisco courses again and get familiar with diagrams.
In the meantime,

YOU STAY OUT OF MY WAY.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 388
Nalin, I am going to buy Kbox Prodigi and wondering I have internet on USB stick. That I want to know if I can use to hookup my receiver through Ihub and how.
I don't know anything about this.
Thanks for your usual help.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16494
You will have to elaborate further as to what you mean by "I have internet on USB stick."
Your USB stick is just another hard drive. Whatever operations are performed via internal hard drive, can also be performed via external i.e. USB hard drive.
You can post your hardware setup and your internet connections (Modem, router, etc., set up, giving as far as possible the names on the quipment.

Silver Member
Username: Applebees

Post Number: 416

Silver Member
Username: Sump

Post Number: 853
what he is saying is that ,IMHO, he is using a 3g USB connection .. not 3g PCMIA card.

more than likely a router that excepts that connection will give u most for your buck ...

like .... http://www.airlink101.com/products/ar660w3g.php

If above is correct asSUMPtion on my part

more info is necassary to give good answer

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 389
Sorry Nalin. I don't know how to explain. OK I'll try again. I have Telus internet connection which came with USB stick to attach to my laptop no modem or router and it is connected immediately after the icon appers on screen saying "Connect" (after being plugged into computer). I do not have any router this is all I have. Does it make clear?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16496
That alters things quite a bit.
Telus internet connection with USB stick has the following cost.
"Data Only" plans start at $25 for 500MB of data per month. You can also opt to pay $30 for 1GB/month or $60 for 3GB/month.
THERE IS NO DOUBT WHAT-SO-EVER THAT IT WILL WORK WITH KBOX
You have to realize that your personal needs might eat away 300-500 MB a month and a continuously on IKS connection will eat away 500-800mb (according to some posters) and over 1GB per month in my humble opinion. Are you willing to foot the bill when you can easily get high speed Internet with over 25GB/month availability for as low as $20/month?
Mine is a Acanac.com connection and I pay a yearly under $230 and get a 4 mb connection and unlimited monthly allowance.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 390
So Nalin, Should I change my Internet service first and then buy Kbox? If so then I'll go for it. Do you recommend Acanac internet. Is it a high speed? Sorry if Iam bothering you with repeated questions.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16521
Acanac has been around for over 5 years. Basically they provide Bell service - they act as retailers for Bell in Canada. The connections therefore, are all Bell, and for most of your service problems they issue a ticket for Bell to come and fix. I would not say that the Bell crew are the best, but who else do we have except rogers cable?
There is only one weakness in the service provided by Acanac. Over the weekend, you have to send an email to get their attention, and if your Internet is down, you have to rely on neighbour's internet to alert them.
They also provide web-hosting, so their office in Missisauga seems to have a staff of a minimum of 8 people. For $18 per month (paid yearly in advance) you can't go wrong. You have to buy your modem - if you buy theirs, they provide a speedtouch Thompson Modem, which has worked flawlessly for me for the past 2 months, since I changed form bell and discarded bell's 2-wire Modem.
You will need to buy a router as well. Alternatively you can buy a combo Modem/router from third party suppliers. Acanac does not mind if you buy your Modem elsewhere.
If you do not have a telephone line and want to go dry loop, they charge an additional $8 per month.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16522
Tamara:
1 year Broadband from Acanac @$19/month - $218 inc tax.
1 Modem - $ 49
1 router (4 out and wireless) - $ 20-30
Extra Cables if needed - $ 5-10 each
Speed is > 4mb
Monthly download allowance - unlimited.
kbox with khub - $216-240 inc. tax.

All prices are in C$

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 391
Thank Nalin. this is all I wanted to know. You are always very helpful. Keep it up. Kbox is not available with anyone in GTA and they ask for advance to get this box. I have talked to one guy in Scarborough he has promised to give call when he gets the delivery. Then I`ll go for all this.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16527
Spacelectronics.com & WatchFTA.com is in Electronics & FTA business since last around 6 years. '
Store address is
1310 Dundas St E Unit# 226
Mississauga, Ontario. (Toronto)
US & Canada. 1-647-885-8031
Toll Free for Canada Only (not for USA) 1-888-FTA 3 FTA (1-888-382-3382)
_.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._
Angel Electronics

1515 Matheson Blvd. E., Unit B13
MISSISSAUGA, ON L4W 2P
(905) 602-1382
_.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._ _.._
Transat Electronics

24 Ronson Dr., Unit 4AF
TORONTO, ON M9W 1B4
(416) 235-2600 or 1-866-730-4535

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 392
This Angel Electronics is the one asking for advance.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16532
I think you will find that they all want cash or debit card payment, and you will be taking a risk, if the unit does not work, because after sales service might not be good and warranty statements may not be honoured. what you should do, is to go with a friend (not a relative) so he/she is a witness. Also make sure the dealer not only shows you the box working (light coming on) but at least the Menu coming up when connected to TV and/or the screen showing USB drive connected.
Make sure you get a V2 khub. The hubs have a power supply input, but the delears don't supply it, because it is is not necessary as it is powerd by the receiver. That is true, only to the extent that the unit is working properly. If you have to activate it using your computer, you WILL need power supply. So ask the dealer to sell you the appropriate one.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 393
Wow so useful information. I did n't know this.Thanks again for all this info. I 'll certainly do accordingly.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16541
Tamara: You are welcome. Please report back with your experience in purchase, and installation.
If you need to buy a router, there are some good ones at future shop and they often come with some freebies. Nobody buys a straight router these days - always a wireless router with four ethernet outputs. You never know when your whizkid cousin or nephew is going to visit with his laptop wanting to use your wireless connection. Set the wireless part to WPA 128 bit encryption or WPA2 encryption and then disable it if nobody is using it.
Best of luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Justforhohas

Post Number: 65
If you are the Mole here that keeps deleting the truth
about your sick azz we will see who you are facking with.
No threat just a promise.

Silver Member
Username: Koko_wawa

Post Number: 483
Alleged Cable Modem Hacker Indicted in US
Thursday, 05 November 2009 11:59 | Author: News Admin |
A U.S. man is facing federal criminal charges for allegedly selling modified cable modems and software that enabled free Internet access at super-fast broadband speeds.

Ryan Harris, owner of TCNISO, ran a mail-order Web site and retail store in San Diego that sold software and modded cable modems. The products enabled "users to obtain faster, upgraded internet service without paying the premiums charged by the ISP," according to the indictment, which is

dated Aug. 19 but was unsealed just last week.

Harris, who went by the name DerEngel, is charged with conspiracy, aiding and abetting computer fraud and aiding and abetting wire fraud, according to the indictment, filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts.

Federal prosecutors allege Harris and TCNISO took in more than US$1 million in revenue between 2003 and this year.

Harris and three unindicted co-conspirators created software that modified a cable modem so that it could adopt the MAC (Media Access Control) address used by the ISP (Internet service provider) to identify a paying Internet subscriber's modem.

Those MAC addresses, however, were stolen from paying users using software Harris and his company created, the indictment alleges.

Harris allegedly also modified a configuration file in modems that would then enable broadband speeds up to 10 times faster without paying the ISP more. The modem hacking products went by the names "Sigma," "Blackcat" and "DreamOS," the indictment said.

A more sophisticated product, "SigmaX," was capable of blocking ISPs from "probing" a modem on its network to see if it had been modified.

In the indictment, prosecutors wrote they found that Harris was allegedly seeking MAC addresses and configuration files used in a major metropolitan area in a posting on TCNISO's forum in March 2007.

From 2006 to 2008, prosecutors also wrote they observed others trying to trade or sell stolen MAC addresses with others on TCNISO's forum.

About a year ago, TCNISO sold through its Web site two Motorola SB5100 BlackcatUSB cable modems, three Motorola SB4200 Sigma cable modems and one copy of Harris' book to an undercover FBI agent in Boston. The indictment alleges that Harris assisted the agent during the purchasing process in a subsequent phone call. The modem enabled free Internet access.

Harris was open about his modding, even writing a book called "Hacking the Cable Modem" that has a cover photo of a modem meshed with an unlocked padlock. He is scheduled for an arraignment in Boston on Dec. 17.

Silver Member
Username: Koko_wawa

Post Number: 484
This is another indictement:
Alleged Cable Modem Hacker Indicted in US
Thursday, 05 November 2009 11:59 | Author: News Admin |
A U.S. man is facing federal criminal charges for allegedly selling modified cable modems and software that enabled free Internet access at super-fast broadband speeds.

Ryan Harris, owner of TCNISO, ran a mail-order Web site and retail store in San Diego that sold software and modded cable modems. The products enabled "users to obtain faster, upgraded internet service without paying the premiums charged by the ISP," according to the indictment, which is

dated Aug. 19 but was unsealed just last week.

Harris, who went by the name DerEngel, is charged with conspiracy, aiding and abetting computer fraud and aiding and abetting wire fraud, according to the indictment, filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts.

Federal prosecutors allege Harris and TCNISO took in more than US$1 million in revenue between 2003 and this year.

Harris and three unindicted co-conspirators created software that modified a cable modem so that it could adopt the MAC (Media Access Control) address used by the ISP (Internet service provider) to identify a paying Internet subscriber's modem.

Those MAC addresses, however, were stolen from paying users using software Harris and his company created, the indictment alleges.

Harris allegedly also modified a configuration file in modems that would then enable broadband speeds up to 10 times faster without paying the ISP more. The modem hacking products went by the names "Sigma," "Blackcat" and "DreamOS," the indictment said.

A more sophisticated product, "SigmaX," was capable of blocking ISPs from "probing" a modem on its network to see if it had been modified.

In the indictment, prosecutors wrote they found that Harris was allegedly seeking MAC addresses and configuration files used in a major metropolitan area in a posting on TCNISO's forum in March 2007.

From 2006 to 2008, prosecutors also wrote they observed others trying to trade or sell stolen MAC addresses with others on TCNISO's forum.

About a year ago, TCNISO sold through its Web site two Motorola SB5100 BlackcatUSB cable modems, three Motorola SB4200 Sigma cable modems and one copy of Harris' book to an undercover FBI agent in Boston. The indictment alleges that Harris assisted the agent during the purchasing process in a subsequent phone call. The modem enabled free Internet access.

Harris was open about his modding, even writing a book called "Hacking the Cable Modem" that has a cover photo of a modem meshed with an unlocked padlock. He is scheduled for an arraignment in Boston on Dec. 17.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 394
Nalin. I need your advise in the changed scenario. I called my Internet provider to cancel my service and been told that if I cancel it now I will have to pay 200 bucks as penalty of canceling the contract before expiry. There are 3 more month to finish the contract. I don't think its worth canceling at this stage and paying 200 bucks for nothing. So if I want to set up my Kbox with my present wirless internet (ON USB STICK). can I do that? and how. will you be kind enough to explain it step by step.
Thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16553
There is no problem in setting up with your USB stick, but you will need to buy a wireless bridge. The only downside at present would be exceeding your monthly quota. In fact by trying it out for a couple of month, you will know if you are exceeding your quota.
For wireless bridge, address your inquiry to Plymouth or sada or james johnathen.
All I can guarantee now to you is that IT WILL WORK

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 11611
Tamara, Nalin

A good way to limit your quota is power off the receiver when not use.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16554
Plymouth: Can you instruct her on the use of USB broadband with her new kbox, perhaps by using a Wireless bridge?

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 395
Thanks you both guys. Plymouth please let me know what exactly I need to do and buy with Kbox to run this smooth.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 11612
Nalin, Tamara
Tamara, give me the usb wireless brand and model then internet provider.

Just to be sure, your internet come from your USB or the USB stick is a bridge?

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 396
OK as soon I go home. I 'll post here. Thanks Plymouth.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16558
I said this :"There is no problem in setting up with your USB stick, but you will need to buy a wireless bridge. "
But it may be a more of a problem than I thought it would be.
I will leave it up to Plymouth and James to advise you.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 397
Ok thanks Nalin. If it works the OK otherwise I'll get another internet service which is really cheap for 18 or 19 dolllars a month.
Plymouth service provider of my internet service is Fido and USB has a mark of Novatel Wireless (MC950D). Mobilink Lite TM. Let me know if you need more info.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 11613
Tamara

Ok it's a real wireless using cellular phone antenna!

I will post a solution to your problem in few minutes, I must going out now!

Do you have a Ethernet port on your Laptop?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16559
Using Ethernet networking solution, might work and it would be reasonably cheap.

If not, the other solution is about $200!

The Cradlepoint MBR1000 works with most cards and devices and some phones. This list will help you to know if the MBR1000 is right for your situation. Below is a list of compatible Mobile Phone and Data Providers and the compatible devices they offer:
Telius (Canada)
USB
Sierra Wireless 595U
Expresscard
Sierra Wireless 597E
Rogers (Canada)
USB
Novatel MC950D
ZTE MF636 (Rocket Stick)
Expresscard
Novatel X950D

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 11614
Tamara

Do you have a Ethernet port on your Laptop?

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 398
Plymouth I think there is ethernet port but not sure will check at home right now I am at work. Will advise once I see it.
Nalin Mine is Novatel MC 950D so that should work if there is not ethernet port on my laptop.
I appreciate help you guys extending in this issue.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 11636
Tamara

I asked it because you can make a virtual bridge in your Laptop then use this one like a server to your Ethernet port and hook your Khub in.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 399
Ok I'll confirm you in the evening if I have or not. If I have it then how can I make the bridge? Can you explain please. Thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16562
In your USB internet drive, the signals come via "SIM card" technology. So you can't parallel out to other ports. You have to make a software bridge between your USB internet and the Ethernet port. If that does not work, you will probably have to buy a Cradlepoint MBR1000, which costs about $200. It does a lot, but you would ask, is it worth it?

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 11643
Nalin

Tamara can only use his laptop like a server to connect another PC in this case the Khub.

He can use XP and create a home network.

Usualy it work fine but he must keep his PC powered, it will make the job for 2 months until he get a new internet provider.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16564
Plymouth: Understood everything, but I think Tamara is a female name. Tamara can confirm.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 11649
OH!

I'm sorry if it is!

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 400
Ok I am female. No problem. The only thing I am now worried how make a bridge or home net work through XP I don't have XP in my laptop instead is Vista. Still I think I should subscribe other internet too.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 11650
Sorry Tamara!

Your name is not familiar for me a French Canadian!

OK!

With Vista it's same thing that for XP, you go in your Network and create a brigde to your network port from your USB Network.

I made it but it was 5 or 6 years ago, I dumped Vista and come back on XP.

You not answered me if you have a Network port?

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 401
Its ok Plymouth.Yes there is Ethernet port on laptop. Now can you please explain step by step how to create a bridge.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 11665
Sorry Tamara for the delay!

I just switch to my PC with XP which is same as for Vista!

My system is in french maybe I will not give you the exact name but I hope that you understand as well.
Go in config panel>Network connexion

You must see your Network port as well that your Key from USB key, click on your USB key with your right button on mouse then will see Bridge connexion, click on it and make a bridge between your USB Internet Key and your Network port.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 11667
Edited:

""You must see your Network port as well that your Key from USB key, click on your USB key with your right button on mouse then will see Bridge connexion, click on it and make a bridge between your USB Internet Key and your Network port""

You must see your Network port as well that your Internet USB key, click on your internet USB key with your right button on mouse then will see Bridge connexion, click on it and make a bridge between your USB Internet Key and your Network port.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 402
Thanks for all your help I'll do it and let you know.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 11671
You are Welcome Madame!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16579
Plymouth: Am I correct with the following statement?

You are Welcome Madame, s'il vous plaAt !

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 11672
Nalin

s'il vous plait! > please
Bienvenue> Welcome
Madame> Madam

You can use this utility: http://cf.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt

Not perfect but it will help you!

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 403
I could not find the Configuration for setting up bridge and think it's not the same on my computer as Plynouth has explained. I'll go for new internet service and then waill ask for help to setup kbox. Thanks for your help.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 404
Nalin Its me again with an other question please. Can I use acnac internet even if my phone service is with Rogers? Thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16656
You should get Circuit ID number from Roger's. Put that in the comments section of on-line application.
If you do not have a circuit ID number, then you will be charged extra $8/mo for "dry-loop" service.
You can call them and find out more.
Sales Numbers
Toll Free: 1-866-281-3538
Toronto
1-416-849-8520

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canad

Post Number: 405
Thanks Nalin
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums