Component video vs. HDMI

Username: Videodon

Miami, Fla USA

Post Number: 1
I recently upgraded my home theater system. I have a Sony Bravia XBR 46" (KDL46XBR9)
Pioneer Elite A/V receiver (VSX-81TXV)
Samsung Blue Ray (BD-P3600)
DirecTV HD DVR satellite receiver

Question: When I advised the installer that I wanted the flexibility of watching TV without the A/V receiver being on, he then connected the TV via the video component input. How much video HD quality am I giving up going video component vs. HDMI for the flexibility?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4134
What did he connect with component? In theory everything should be connected with HDMI for best PQ. In practice there isn't always much difference if any depending on equipment used. You don't need a receiver to use HDMI.

Username: Dan_lemond

Auburn Hills, MI United States

Post Number: 1
Another Hook up version you can use for ultimate quility is run HDMI cables from both Directv and Blu ray to Tv inputs as long as you have to inputs Then you can select between TV & DVD on TV remote and you will have sound at the TV.. Then Connect Digital audio cables from DVD and Dirctv to Receiver. When you turn on sound system select appriote input for sound from DVD or Diretv and turn down sound on tv. you do not give up the great picture that the hdmi cord give you now.
with out using Hdmi Cables You Are not receiving a 1080 signal Thats probeley why you bought the Flat screen to get the best picture This part is what I think but do not quote me componet gives you arround 480p and HDMI is upto 1080 I or P. I hope this helps you and others. Please excuse my spelling. no spell check here. everyone have a great new year. and never give up what your devise is able to do over a cheeper connection. even consider Fiber optic for your sound. its worth it. my quote of the day if its not rattleing the walls its not hooked up right. see ya out.

Post Number: 2
IN SHORT. The answer to your question is a signal of as low as 480p rather than either 720p or 1080p depending on your TV if you have a 1080 TV you could be giving up 500 p or 50% of the Quality your TV is capable of producing. the Tech. did not use the right cables and or hook you up correctly. see my post above for better way to hook up.
hope this helps you and others.
see ya out.

Post Number: 3
Let me correct my self after doing more research a composite cable will give you up to 1080 I and a HDMI cable will Give you up to 1080 p depending on your TV and That is a huge diffrence. The I is interlase. picture writing every other line down your screen. and progressive writes every line down the screen. thats why you see such a diffrence in price between a 1080 I & 1080 p Becuase the picture quilty is so much better.
sorry for the mistake above.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us