The New Viewsat MAXHD!

Bronze Member
Username: Liger

Post Number: 41
Viewsat released another HD box. I had some questions about it. I don't know much about it, but there are experts here that do know things.

Below are links to the new viewsat hd box.
[link removed]
Specs.
[link removed]

OK.
Fully MPEG-2 & DVB-S2 Compliant. (isn't this sd as most sd receiver are mpeg 2 & Dn has nothing in mpeg 2 hd?)

Demodulator
Waveform: QPSK, 8PSK <-- I think this means it can do DN HD.

Video Decoder
System Decoding: MPEG-2 ISO/IEC 13818
Profile and Levels: MPEG-4 AVC-H.264 HP@L4
MPEG-4 <-- some more hd compatibility.

Mpeg-2 and 8psk thing is a bit confusing me. To me it seems like this thing can do 8psk right out the box which is dn hd, right. But that's me. What do experts out there have to say?

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3544
Ask Doreen
She's the forum expert on MPEG

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Well Doreen, can you please answer my question? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Plymouth

Quebec city, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 4194
Liger in regard of spec i can see, it seems to be include in box, the question is; can it work on Turbo HD?
I am not able to give a answer on it.

Maybe King can or anyone.

The spec is great, Liger do you know the price ask for it?

Bronze Member
Username: Thadragun

Kingston, Ontario

Post Number: 62
Looks nice.
Can it do PVR like Viewsat 9000HD?

Gold Member
Username: Cartier1

Post Number: 2071
IN STOCK!!

Viewsat MAXHD
Price: $319.00
why is it so cheap hummmmmmmm??????/

Gold Member

Post Number: 4197
Cartier
Or this box not work on Turbo HD or Viewsat know thing we dont know.

Gold Member
Username: Cartier1

Post Number: 2072
PLAYMPUTH i really have no experience with HD nevr used it and never made much search. what is turbo HD???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
cartier1, bro according to dishnetwork, turbo HD is 1080p and uses mpeg4 compression. Current HD boxes do 1080i mpeg4. That's about all I know. I don't know much about mpeg and stuff like that. All I know is math, physics, bio. and chem. Well, I'm not here to advertise myself here. But anyways, if anyone can answer the 8psk, mpeg4, or turboHD question, it will be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 378
This new receiver is a POS like the VS 9000...has tons of bugs , no improvements and just something new and more affordable to screw the buyers , to pay their legal fees. Viewsat has slowly lost its way to the customers and end users. Their quality on newer receiver models has worsened the past couple years.

It doesn't have an ATSC tuner. Nor does it have a port for an External tuner on the Rear. It still requires an 8psk add on module, and has all the PVR bugs of the VS 9000. I won't even mention their heat/no fan problems..

I personally would stay away from this or any new Viewsat .

Gold Member

Post Number: 4200
Comment from a Soniview seller can not be considered.

If anyone know more on this receiver please reply.
Note: this receiver is no PVR

LK go take your pills and disappear from this thread

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
Plymouth..I knew that you as an immature child who is ignorant and bashes everybody but denies it, would bash me and reply in a negative manner...You are so predictable...like a baby without a teether/binky..

BTW, maybe if you had a VS 9000 or newer VS, and spoke to VS 9000 owners, you would understand and quit being an azzhole...and LEARN something

so STFU and watch and learn for a change, instead of bashing all the time...You still ONLY a nalin wannabee here, a newbie, and never will be anything more than that..

BTW...SV has much better receivers than VS , and faster support during all the ECM's this past year, and especially lately..and CNX also is much better than VS..VS is in the toilet now, and slippin downhill like the Magnum and Coo*lsats did....

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3578
I agree with the Boss VS HD is crap
I still think all HD FTA are crap
And they won't do HD#Turbo
Anyone will buy HD FTA will get ripped off

Boss
The ATSC HD tuner by SV is a gemmick
ATSC Tuner is digital HD Over the Air Antenna tuner
I really don't know if SV has it
But if it does then it's not a true dual tuner
Either way it's a gemmick

Gold Member

Post Number: 4203
Hahaha aka LK

This receiver is not a VS9000

Your comment is alway in same way then you are not able to make a good judgement on this thread.

So stay away, we dont need your destructive propos, but a intelligent comment from a neutral guy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
Yes I am aware that the ATSC is for OTA...

It comes in Black and has the same remote as the VS9000HD. The remote is not the only similarities it has to the VS9000HD it also uses the same CPU has front and rear USB ports is PVR capable and uses the same NEW GUI. It also supports Mpeg4 and handles 8PSK. However there are differences. It doesn't have an ATSC tuner. Nor does it have a port for an External tuner on the Rear.

It is basically a VS9000HD trimmed down, however it does use different firmware and will not use the same type of add-on module as the VS9000HD.

The new VS Max is a basically a cheap VS 9000, that sucks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
VSMAXHD: New unit or de-featured VS9000HD?

This looks like VS has also figured out that the 9000 is a POS and are not going to throw more good money after bad. That is a good business decision but a very bad one for customer relations. Current 9000 owners have been waiting patiently for core fixes, only to see cosmetic changes apparently done with this new unit in mind.

I think we can now figure out just where the coders time has been spent over the last six months. Many questioned: "Why the New GUI?" "Where are the bug fixes?" I think they now have their answers.

This time the VS marketing team has failed big time: introducing a new HD unit right in the middle of a firestorm of unresolved problems with the "current" 9000 model. Their credibility is at an all-time low. This is not a good move. This may be the reason many will use to look elsewhere for their next unit.

As for buying this unit - the recommendation would be to wait at least 1 year and see just how much of it really works as advertised. How many features work 100%. Can one watch and listen without disruptions for more than two hours? Will it have adequate cooling? Will it support industry standard attached equipment? Will it support DiSEqC 1.1? Will the loss of ATSC and PVR functions justify the $200 price drop?

When you factor in the upcoming Nagra3 issues, their timing could not have been worse (unless they already have it solved for the new unit only).

All of this makes the Buy-O-Meter, with a scale from 1 to 10, register a "-2" for this "New" unit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4204
New viewsat reciever max HD

it is set up with a mpeg chip so it is mpeg 4 compatible .. also the old for mat is this Fully MPEG-2 & DVB Compliant.now the new one has the new format of dvb s2 which means this ..

Millions of VSAT terminals around the world comply with the DVB-S standard for video and data transmission. Simply put, this standard allows operators to save costs on remote equipment and to gain improved efficiencies through the ability to offer data and video on the same channel.
Now the DVB-S standard is growing up. The next generation of the standard, called DVB-S2, goes beyond the original to offer benefits such as higher throughputs, better coding efficiency, and improved satellite resource utilization. In addition, low-density parity check (LDPC) coding, whose complexity has previously limited its use, is significantly improved in the new standard, providing a high level of flexibility for satellite operators.
The Adaptive Coding and Modulation (ACM) feature of DVB-S2 is particularly useful in interactive data applications by allowing the satellite operator to dynamically adjust coding and modulation based on signal quality feedback from remote terminals. This feature optimizes transponder resources under varying conditions, such as rain fade and geographically diverse locations.

this is the best part

Main features

Source may be one or more MPEG-2 TS (MPEG-2 Transport Stream). Packet streams other than MPEG-2 TS are also valid (MPEG4-AVC/H.264).
MPEG-2 TS are supported using a compatibility mode, whereas the native stream format for DVB-S2 is called Generic Stream (GS).
Adaptative mode: this block is heavily dependent on the application that generates the data. This means
synchronizing data using ACM and cancellation of null packets from the Transport Stream;
CRC-8 encoding; used by a DVB-S2 for error correction;
merging full stream and subdivisions in blocks for error correction encoding (DF, Data Fields).
Backward compatibility to DVB-S, intended for end users, and DVB-DSNG (DVB-Digital Satellite News Gathering), used for backhauls and electronic news gathering
Adaptive coding and modulation to optimize the use of satellite transponders
Four modulation modes:
QPSK and 8PSK are proposed for broadcast applications and they can be used in non-linear transponders driven near to saturation
16APSK and 32APSK are used mainly for professional, semi-linear applications, they can be also used for broadcasting but they require a higher level of available C/N and an adoption of advanced pre-distortion methods in the uplink station in order to minimize the effect of transponder linearity.
Improved rolloff: a = 0.20 and a = 0.25 in addition to the roll-off of DVB-S a = 0.35
For forward error correction (FEC), DVB-S2 uses a system based on the concatenation of the BCH code with a low-density parity check. A single FEC datagram may be 64800 bits(normal) or 16200 bits (short). If VCM or ACM is used, any datagram may have a variable length, and the broadcast can be a combination of normal and short datagrams. There are 10 encoding values: 1/4, 1/3, 2/5, 1/2, 3/5, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 8/9 and 9/10 which depend on the modulation and the requirements that the system has.
Encoding values 8/9 and 9/10 behave poorly under marginal link conditions (where the signal level is below the noise level). However, with targeted spot Ku or Ka band downlinks these coding schemes may be recommended to prevent out-of-region viewing for copyright or cultural reasons.
Interleaving uses 8PSK, 16APSK, or 32APSK modulation.
Performance can be configured to be within 0.7 dB of the Shannon

Gold Member

Post Number: 4205
This receiver look like the best receiver on market far on the other.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4206
Viewsat MAXHD is capable of receiving High Definition signals with resolution up to 1080i. The picture quality provided by the Viewsat MAXHD video tuner is outstanding and better than most other digital satellite receivers currently available in the market

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
Plymouth..explain how all that lengthy copy/paste with BS tech data is going to help the customer?...and fix all the current bugs that current Viewsat HD owners have been complaining about for the past year or longer?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4207
Info from a Viewsat MAXHD user

THE RECEIVER COMES WITH A 8PSK INSTALLED , BUT IT DO NOT DECODE THE TURBO HD , SO FOR THAT REASON I BOUGHT THE Adapter Board (VSMAXHD-AD) IT LOOKS LIKE A USB MEMORY ADAPTER AND OF COURSE NEEDS TO BE PLUGGED IN THE USB PLUG.

It seems this new receiver work on TurboHD

Lk idiot read a little on web before doing comment
You are a idiot and you alway stay old idiot

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3580
Plymouth
Yo actually believe the VSMX-AD USB adapter will decode the HD#Turbo 1080p that D#N haven't started to apply yet???

If yo think the VS HD FTA receiver is great
Then go buy it
It does have the 8PSK but no PVR
I say still over priced and will go down in price even more

At this time
I think SV holds better electronics products
I say they are best of the worst

Gold Member

Post Number: 4209
King
Only the time can give a answer on it, now i follow a user and will give more detail on it.

Silver Member
Username: Sitsat

Post Number: 174
if this receiver is capable of 1080p, i'm sure Viewsat will be advertising it everywhere and the price must be at least $499.

I agree with LK, viewsat is trying to make few more bucks before DN switch to N3. We should wait for a while before invest in this receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Jjgee

Palatine, IL USA

Post Number: 172
C&P from Cyphris:

I will have more info on the add-on module soon as it is still being designed. I can tell you this it is internal and will not need any loop out cables. Heat will not be an issue either. They are designing this to be a simple plug and play of the add-on module with better stability and have no inner wires either. It will also be protected from imitations and clones. From what I have seen and been told this is a very ingenious design.

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 11951
Good work, Plymouth.
For ignorant people like
justforhaha's, it simply means that you don't know much and don't even know what c/Ps to bring in into a discussion.

1. The Max receiver has a built in 8SPK feature - so you can get DN HD channels.
2. has a better DBV-S2 feature, about which he for your information said as follows:-
"The Adaptive Coding and Modulation (ACM) feature of DVB-S2 is particularly useful in interactive data applications by allowing the satellite operator to dynamically adjust coding and modulation based on signal quality feedback from remote terminals. This feature optimizes transponder resources under varying conditions, such as rain fade and geographically diverse locations."
3. It has MPEG4 capability which seems to be claim made by the newer models coming out. That claim is made for Pansat 9200HD as well. The discerning user on many forums are questioning this claim by some manufacturers and we have to wait and see what people have to say about a similar claim by Viewsat in their Max.

All-in-all it is an improvement over Viewsat's previous offering, but how much better is a question that will be answered after a few months of trying.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4216
This receiver is on the top if we consider all the spec, but Viewsat need to give what they claim.

This receiver is a PVR for correct my precedent post

To be continued

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
I appreciate everyone's effort in trying to answer my question. King, Plymouth, Nalin, Haha, cartier and others, thanks one more time.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3585
Sit Sat
This statement is false:
"if this receiver is capable of 1080p"
No FTA receiver at present time can do 1080p
1080p is not even out there yet

JJgee
The c/p from cyphris is either bogus or the guy really doesn't know sh!t about hardware

I'm going to say this loud and clear
Folks that think yo can back engineer 1080p in less than a year they are either stupid or still believe in tooth fairy

Remember I said this
Sony and Philips are behind this 1080p
Just remember this
Question it next year

Gold Member

Post Number: 4219
King
This receiver have Plug and Play possibilty, 1080p is nothing but a encoding, if the electronic capacity is made for higher definition, it is possible with this receiver.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3586
I'm gonna give yo a small idea how hardware can be a problem regarding 1080p
PTA users always wonder why can't we get dave?
The answer is in the hardware
Dave used for so many years QPSK which is non-MPEG
MPEG-2 is a QPSK modulation but it's not a QPSK encoded signal
I know it sounds confusing
But let's say that both hardware are not compatible

And it's not a software issue at all
It's in the primary decoding process
i.e. yo need a QPSK decoder not a demodulator
Decoder is digital hardware
Modulator is analog
2 different animals

Similarly
1080p will be the encoded signal
8-PSK is the modulation
Therefore yo'll need a 1080p decoder
It's not an add on option
Another word
Nothing on the FTA receiver over all can be helpful

It's like yo buy a stick shift car that yo decided to make it into an automatic transimission
It's better to buy a car that's an automatic trans
That's hardware compatibility

So adding a module that makes FTA 1080p ready is not an option
Don't believe any trash like that
They don't know what they're talking about it

I'm not saying yo can't back engineer it
Gotta come up with a hrdware
That's about 2 years, maybe more
Coders are inpatient
Hardware is the only way to shut them
I'm only talking from electronics prospective

Gold Member

Post Number: 4222
King my car have a automatic transmission with manual shift.

I believe in adaptive receiver and i am sure much work was done already.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3587
In that case
I think yor car can do 1080p as well

Gold Member

Post Number: 4224
I have PS3 inboard
LOL