HDTV, TIVO, Cable box, and PIP

Username: Kerrith

Post Number: 1
I just got a new PIP capable HDTV (Sony KDL-40Z4100), and my cable company exchanged my digital box for one with a HDVI out (Scientific Atlanta 4250HDC). I also have an old AT&T Series 2 TIVO.

What I want is to be able to swap back and forth between two channels, one of which is to be from my TIVO. In other words, I want to watch the local news and swap to a TIVO recorded HBO movie during commercials. Can this be done?

I have HDVI to HDVI and sets of component and composite cables.

Thank you,

With aloha,

Kerry

Username: Kerrith

Post Number: 2
Update:

After looking at all the connection recommendations in Scientifc Atlanta's, TIVO's, and Sony's manuals, none having worked, I tried http://esupport.sony.com/hookup Wizard and it recommended the following.

2 way RF splitter -- One to Box In other to HDTV In.
Box S-video Out to TIVO S-Video In.
TIVO S-Video Out to HDTV S-Video #1 In.
Box HDMI Out to HDTV HDMI In.

PIP works perfectly and I'm able to have TIVO in one window and an unscrambled channel in the other window and surf channels while in either window and bring to the front (the entire screen) either window. I programmed my Sony RM-VL600 learning remote (best kept secrete) to swap with one button.

Tip: The 40Z4100 is 0nly 37 7/8" wide. The bezel (frame) is one of the thinnest. If I weren't budget-strapped I'd return the 40" and get a 46". Besides budget, I am also concerned about the difference in electicity between a 40" and 46" LCD.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3248
Too bad that SA 4250HD doesn't have PIP
It would of been best solution
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message