HDTV and VCR recording

Username: Wso

Poquoson, VA USA

Post Number: 1
I have a SamSung HDTV and a Motorola Cable Box, I have hooked my Magnavox VCR/DVD player up per the manufactures instructions but I cannot timer record ( I can play pre records and DVDs), every time I go to the timer record menu and try to set the channel to record all I have available is 04, L1, l2. What am I doing wrong?

Bronze Member
Username: 007b

Post Number: 28
How do you have your VCR connected for recording purposes?

Poquoson, VA USA

Post Number: 2
Here is the whole Enchilada. COAX from cable provider to cable box in, Red-Green-Blue plus Red White RCA leads from HDTV Video 1 to cable box. Red-White leads from HDTV video 1 go into a "Y" with one leg of the leads to audio out on cable box and the other set to audio in on VCR. One video out lead from cable box to video in on VCR and one video lead from HDTV AV 1 to video out on VCR. Also one set of Red-White RCA leads from HDTV AV-1 to audio out on VCR. In this configuration I had ability to view (using AV-1 source) DVD and VCR (pre-recorded) but not to record (timer or otherwise). I then tried hooking a coax from the cable box out to VCR in, and VCR out to HDTV cable in.With this configuration I could view (not record) in both cable 3 or AV 1 source. I then went back to removing the the coax between cable bx and VCR and VCR and HDTV and I could again view only DVD's or pre-recorded VCR's. My problem is in Timer record I cannot select a channel to timer record other than 04, L 1,L2, i did not have this problem prior to going HDTV and cable box.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3570
You need to set the timer on the VCR to whatever line input you used to connect the box, L1, L2, etc. You really should invest in a DVD recorder. The audio/video quality is far superior to VHS, discs are cheaper, they take less storage space and they last longer.

Poquoson, VA USA

Post Number: 3
My son-in-law a USA MP officer was off work today and came over and said "it can't be that tough", he disconnected everything and then hooked the VCR up in front of the cable box (Coax input to VCR and then coax from VCR to the cable box, auto channelize and that is it). Now I have VCR/DVD on AV-1 source and HDTV on Component-1, and in AV-1 mode,the VCR reads the TV and the cable box is out of the loop, I can timer record or record or watch VCR/DVD products. I cannot believe it was that easy and even the COX technical experts could not figure out the correct set up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us