VCR will not record even with direct feed from Satilite box

Username: Sprsteel

Post Number: 1
I have two RCA output on my Satilite box. Following the instruction booklet I directed output #1 directly to the HDTV and output #2 to the VCR. Yet I am unable to record. I would appriciate any help. Note: I no lnger have the VCR manual.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3556
Set the VCR on line.

Username: Sprsteel

Post Number: 2
Thank you. At first I did not realize that setting "on line" was the same as going to Aux line and in my case setting the Aux line to rear. again thank you. The recorded feed is not great but the audio is worse. At moments the audio is OK than the volumne lowers and a background audio feed comes in (garbled). I do not know if this is because I have not recorded anything for about 2-3 years or because of another seting I no longer remember. I am going to view TV through the VCR and see if this helps. Again thank you for taking the time to respond.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3557
If you want good recordings, get a DVD recorder. Audio and video quality are far superior to VHS.

Bronze Member
Username: Sobeeatch

Post Number: 36
David, I find that to be true even comparing the DVD recordings to SVHS. Since both recorders are recording in the analog domain, to what do you attribute the superior DVD recordings?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3558
DVD recorders don't record analog. The incoming signal is analog, but the recording is digital. SVHS is around 425 lines of resolution if I remember right. DVD is around 525 lines. Videotape has limited bandwidth and can't hold as much info as DVD.

Username: 007b

Post Number: 5
But if the incoming signal is the same, say through an SVHS output, it would also be limited. So why would the DVD recording look better? Please help me to understand this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3561
DVD is higher resolution and is digital, not analog. Videotape has many limitations that DVD doesn't. Analog is an uncomperessed signal, so information is limited. DVD is digital and compressed, so it can hold more info.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
OK. So even if the source signal is 425-430 lines, a DVD recording will look better because of the inherent limitations of tape. Does this same theory apply to audio, say making a CD recording of a vinyl LP vis a vis a cassette or reel to reel version? I've made hundreds and while I have noticed an exact duplicate of the LP on CD, I can't say definitively it sounds better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3564
Audio is a lot different than video. Video is a far more complicated signal than audio, with a lot more info involved. So DVD with it's high storage capacity and bitrates is ideal for video. I don't know if CDs have higher resolution than LPs or not.

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1050
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-VHS

"In practice, when timeshifting TV programs on S-VHS equipment, the improvement over VHS is quite noticeable. Yet, the trained eye can easily spot the difference between live broadcast TV and a S-VHS recording of it. This is explained by S-VHS's failure to improve other key aspects of the video signal, especially the chroma signal. In VHS, the chroma carrier is both severely bandlimited and rather noisy, a limitation that S-VHS does not address."

One potential explanation.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Thanks guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums