Cable signal and receivers

Username: Robguz

Homewood, IL USA

Post Number: 1
i have a basic cable subscription, and would like to go hd. Comcast advertises hdtv service with an additional charge for hdtv service. Is this additional charge for the hd cable box or for the hd signal. Can I buy cable box from a retailer and receive basic cable cannels in hd without paying an additional fee to the cable company?

D on the west
Unregistered guest
you can get an antena to receive hd programing. try going to consumer guide web site for info on the size and type that you would need for your area. you can not get hd programing for a cable box that did not come from the cable comopany (comcast cable)

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 97
D is referring to Over the Air (OTA) broadcasts which are sent by the stations (usually on UHF channels). Proximity to the broadcast antenna will effect your receipt of channel. You could also try a search in Google on "Over the Air" HD and add your state abbreviation.

Anonymous

I just bought a Sony Grand WEGA with HD tuner and Digital Cable ready TV and I also have basic cable. Using the auto channel it found about 235 digital channels, howeve it could only show about 40 of them that were unscrambled, all the free on air HDTV channels were among them. You can do the same and get all the on air HDTV channels via cable this way without paying any extra. Comcast wants you to use there set top box so that you pay them more.

Unregistered guest
are there any boxes available that unscramble comcast transmissions

Peas
Unregistered guest
Yes Stinky, Comcast will lease you one. Even if you buy one on E-Bay it will make for a great doorstop since Comcast will not "authorize" it to work on "their" network. Get a 2nd job and lease the box.

Peas

Anonymous

Is there anyone who can help me? My cablebox gotted zapped once, and somebody told me hold this and that. I did. Nothing worked. I need to know how to reset the box. Can anyone help me so I can change the channels? Everytime time I do what the person told me to do, for example, power and select, I saw the channels fly by on the screen and the last one was showing "HUNTING" on the cable box and then it jumped back to zero. Please help if you know the solution!!

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 221
Call your cable company and have them come fix it

racon30
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased a digital cable box on line, when i hooked it up it did not work. Their was a massage on the screen telling me to contact my cable company (Time Warner) because it was an unauthorized box. I'am paying for digital cable but why should i pay for another box. Is their any way around this with out haveing to contact Time Warner, does it need to be programed by them or can someone help me

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 287
racon, no there is no way around this...the cable company will not authorize a STB to work in their system if it was not provided by them. What we have here yet again are people scamming you out of your money. You buy the converter on the premise you're going to save some money by not having to pay your cable provider for the monthly rental of the STB, or maybe you're trying to get channels you don't pay for (which is illegal)...either way you are the one that winds up getting ripped off. Although it's not illegal to purchase cable converters, the only legal ones are ones that allow you to view analog channels. All digital or HD channels are usually encrypted, thus ensuring the integrity of the signal. The FCC makes allowances that you can purchase analog converters, but there is very strong wording about encrypted channels: it's illegal, and is called theft of service. Good luck getting a refund

Username: Braveone11

Post Number: 1
I got time warner cable and just switch to digital
i am getting a message on my box saying please call your cable operator your digital cable has been disconneted(this a legal box that i am renting from them)their sending a techian out on saturday and i hate to lose a day's pay if i know they could do somthing on there end..did and anybody ever encounter this problem

thank you for your time

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York, NY

Post Number: 1060
Yes
It means they never activated Access card
They can do that electronically
No need to send technician

Post Number: 2
and the box i have is the scientific explorer 3250 regular digtal cable not high defintion
i will give them a call now and let you know what they tell me

thank you for your help

Post Number: 3
I called time warner up and they told me that they do not have the access card...and that i
will need a techincian
They said they don't deal with the access cards
all they tell to do is reboot the system which doesn't work..

Thank you for Your Help I Apperciate It :-)

Username: Stperkins

Post Number: 2
Yes Stinky, Comcast will lease you one. Even if you buy one on E-Bay it will make for a great doorstop since Comcast will not "authorize" it to work on "their" network. Get a 2nd job and lease the box.

Peas

I really think someone should restrict this guy from posting.. you are a rude "douche-bag"...maybe you should get a education rather than suggest that anyone get a a "second job"...please stop posting your negative comments...we are not all "experts" like you think you are!}
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us