Fake Windows patch e-mail leads to Trojan horse attack

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 10247
Fake Windows patch e-mail leads to Trojan horse attack

(Computerworld) -- Messages insisting that users install a just-released Microsoft Corp. security update are bogus and actually lead to a site that plants malicious code on PCs, several security companies warned today.

The spam, which touts "Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-0065 -- Critical Update" as its subject and appears to come from "update@microsoft.com," claims users should download a June 18 security patch and provides a link to a URL that looks legit.

"A new 0-day vulnerability has appeared in the wild," the message reads. "The vulnerability affects machines running MICROSOFT OUTLOOK and allows an attacker to take full control of the vulnerable computer if the exploitation process is succesfull [sic]." It goes on to boast that 100,000 PCs have been hijacked so far by unnamed malware exploiting the bug.

However, the link takes users to one of several different attack sites that download a Trojan horse to the machine. "Security bulletins from Microsoft describing vulnerabilities in their software are a common occurrence," noted Graham Cluely, a Sophos PLC analyst, in a statement today. "[But] by using people's real names, the Microsoft logo and legitimate-sounding wording, the hackers are attempting to fool more people into stepping blindly into their bear trap."

The SANS Institute's Internet Storm Center and Symantec Corp.'s DeepSight threat network have also issued alerts on the fraudulent messages.

Playing the legitimacy card is an important "scam-spammer" technique, James Blascovich, a professor of psychology at the University of California, Santa Barbara, said yesterday in a just-released paper on the mind games attackers play to persuade people that it's safe to open suspicious e-mail. The fake security alert, for example, refers to "Genuine Microsoft Software," a phrase the company itself heavily promotes; uses the recipient's first name in the body of the message; and includes a purported product registration key.

Alert users, however, will be immediately suspicious of the message -- and not just because of the typical-for-spam misspellings -- but because it labeled the update "MS07-0065." So far this year, Microsoft has only reached MS07-035 in its numbering system.

Be advised that Microsoft DOES NOT send out security bulletins to your email addresses!!

Bronze Member
Username: Bill038

Post Number: 44
Thanks LK. Welcome back

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10253
Thanks for supporting my protests to the admin about John M...and to the few others who did also..

Silver Member
Username: Hardrockstriker

Post Number: 937
What if we built a large wooden badger?...

Bronze Member
Username: Spike52

Post Number: 30
Thanks LK for the heads up. Hope your back in the area, the Celts did a little moving yesterday but I am looking forward to the Pats. Happy 4th.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10256
Funny U mention that, I just left yesterday, flew out of Bradley/ Hartford...was at Hanscom/ Bedford for past week on business and saw my family alot too, and am returning in 2 weeks for awhile this time...

yeah I saw the Celtics picked up Ray Allen, BUT...its only a start, need much more...BUT the Pats will kick azz and take names this year!...Brady has much help now with receivers and I love Welker....and the Sox are going to be playing in October this year!...Happy 4th to U and the family..

Silver Member
Username: Grub

Post Number: 104
how do I get rid of it? would avast work? or something else? that spycrusher wont go away unless I find it and delete its dir.. any help would be much appeciated

Silver Member
Username: Grub

Post Number: 105
wow..avast works but I still get shiiit from here when I sign in..lk warned and i got lavasoft..although it doesnt work anymore(it did for a while) everything seems poluted now.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10332
Ad-Aware..considered the one of the best anti spyware, better than the Norton and Macfee paid programs..and updates daily...
http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?p art=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

spybot..another anti spyware
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Spywareblaster 3.51 ..another great anti spyware
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

AVG 7.5 Anti Virus ...FREE and considered the BEST of all anti VIRUS programs
http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10645435.html

Bronze Member
Username: Rcfiddlerman

Post Number: 31
a buddy of mine just got this virus i think, how does he get rid of this, thanx in advance

Bronze Member
Username: Bill038

Post Number: 47
Have him do a free scan at Panda or Micro Trend. That will tell him if he has anything. Google the addy's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us