Need help with rs232 to usb cable

Bronze Member
Username: Saqeeb90

Post Number: 30
hi i bought this usb to Rs232 cable. i am trying to download it on my megaset4000 reciever. i am using coolset pro loader. it detects my port but my reciever cannot update the file. it cannot update any file. my usb 9 comes with software cd i already downloaded. is there anything i can do to update that reciever

Username: Jbourikos

Post Number: 7
usually a problem with the adapter...they have lots of problems (better to use a serial port without an adapter)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
hi i bought this usb to Rs232 cable. i am trying to download it on my megaset4000 reciever. i am using coolset pro loader. it detects my port but my reciever cannot update the file. it cannot update any file. my usb 9 comes with software cd i already downloaded. is there anything i can do to update that reciever

J B

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:46 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
usually a problem with the adapter...they have lots of problems (better to use a serial port without an adapter)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32

J B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sada
Bronze Member

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:41 am:

J B

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33

J B

sada
Bronze Member

J B

sada
Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:43 am:

J B

sada
Bronze Member

J B

Bronze Member
Username: Lokbongtom

Post Number: 24
remember half of usb to serial rs232 sold on ebay did not work with FTA receiver ,even if your pc recognize its com port .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
some one please help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
any one can show me picture of RS 232 cable that works with my laptop
pls help

Silver Member
Username: Hawaiian_time

Kanaka freak...

Post Number: 937
Depends also on the make of the receiver. USB adapter works on my Pansat but not on my Viewsat.

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 8219
MOST FTA receivers are made for computers with SERIAL ports, NOT USB ports...this has been addressed for years here and common knowledge for anybody considering FTA use..

there are 2 types of cable...null modem ..and straight..they look identical and U cannot tell the difference..they both have DB9 pin female ends...all U can do is get an USB adapter (with CD Driver installed) to convert the "null modem" cable U should have, from a serial to USB port connection, which does NOT work in many cases..and u need to find the correct puter comport settings...I'm guessing U are getting a "flash failed" message, which is a communication problem (cable and/or comport) between receiver and computer..there is NO guarantee fix for this except buying a new receiver intended and USB ready or using an old puter with serial port...or keep buying various adapters with drivers until U possibly luck out and find one that will work...its that simple..

Silver Member
Username: Hawaiian_time

Kanaka freak...

Post Number: 939
True that. Better to get an Ultra and use a usb flash drive.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
LK sorry i didn't understand what you were saying. how to i recognize b/w straigt and null modem cable.
also i have DBN male end and i am using a female end adapter to use it on my megaset reciever.and i am using coolset pro loader. it detects the port setting but when i click on connect it doesn't shows me any error messasge it shows me connecting but there is nothing happening. so my question is which cable should i buy that works with my laptop . please help

Gold Member

Post Number: 8221
MY answer could NOT be any simpler...sorry..

Bronze Member
Username: Lokbongtom

Post Number: 25
This one did not work at all with the FTA :http://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-to-RS232-Serial-DB9-9-Pin-Cable-Adapter-Garmin-GPS_W0QQit emZ270099983282QQcategoryZ41995QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one work but with XP you need to force to install manually two driver difference :first install the .exe file from cd ,reboot you pc ,plug the usb to serial cable XP will ask you the driver ,you have to select the driver from the cd and force its to install, it will work 100% with your FTA. but repsect the cable nul-modem or straight depend on your model FTA http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-for-USB-to-Parallel-Serial-Printer-Adapter-Cable_W0QQitem Z290092230692QQcategoryZ11196QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 748
That is the issue
They convert USB to serial port
They don't convert USB to null

To use USB you must have Windows XP no driver required
(don't even think about it if you don't have XP)

If you are willing to test at your own risk. I never tried it.
But what will make more sense to me.

If you are willing to give it a risk:
- Convert your printer port to 9 Pin Male
- Then use null cable
It should work
If it doesn't work try using 9 pin serial cable with converter.
If it does't work (forget it)
{additional hard wires maybe required}

Just get a LAP TOP that has null cable
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 8238
it doesn't work with printer port..and U do NOT need XP either..

Silver Member

Post Number: 751
I was talking about USB in XP operating system

You can make 25 pin serial port to 9 pin serial port. It does require cable rewiring. I havn't open rs232 for nearly 22 years.
Simple pin configuration but may not be simple to FTA users.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8243
I was just simply saying U do NOT need to have XP OS installed on your computer, if using the USB port and adapter with driver on your flash cable..

Silver Member

Post Number: 752
Fine LK, thanx
No problema

9 pin 9 pin female/female null
This stu*pid null cable is nothing but 4 wires
Not all pins even required
Here is how and why:
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 753
Notice only 4 wires required in this case
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 754
Or 5 wires One of these has to work
I just don't remember which one
Be my guest if anyone interesred
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 2152
Tru statements for IBM PC clones with various Windows Operating systems:
1. USB to Serial converter converts the signals properly.
2. If the converter you buy comes with its driver, you should preferrably use that driver over the driver provided by the OS.
3. Try to keep the overal length under 10 feet.
4. If you do not know the cable type (whether straight or null), you can always use it with an additional M/F null adaptor in series.
5. You can always check if a cable is null or straight RS232, by checking connection between pin 2 at one end and pin 3 at the other end. If your multimeter shows connection (continuity or no resistance), then it is a a null cable
6. Under Windows XP, you may get a comport other than 1-4 assigned to your USB-serial convertor, or may get a conflict with other serial ports. You should remove the conflict and also make sure that through your device manager assign com port value of 1,2,3, or 4. Also set a baud rate in the 4 digit value range.
7. In the work normally undertaken by visitors to the FTA forums (uploading of BIN), the usual problem after solving the connection problems is the use of wrong BIN or wrong uploader or unzipped files.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
any one who knows about cable and who has megaset and coolset reciever and people who have laptop. please let me know which cable to buy to load bins and what program they are using to load bins. (i have windows xp)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
still waiting

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 2164
sada: I understand you have a USB to serial converter and a DB9 9 pin F/F cable. You are trying to use this combination on the megasat.
Things to do.
1. Check via device manager. start/settings/control panel/admin tools/computer managment/device manager
Find the device and make sure you have a com 1-4 port on it.
2. Make sure you are using unzipped files, which are OK for your receiver which is a clone.
If the set up does not work,
3. Get a M/F 9 pin null adapter (or short cable) from Radio shack, stick it at the end of the cable and try again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us