NBC delaying HD Olympics broadcast

Anonymous

NBC delays its HD Olympics broadcast by one day. It is totally pointless. Why does it do that? Not enough advertisers? The SD is already a half day late and it would make the HD one and half day late. Down with NBC.

Bronze Member
Username: Russl

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 18
Called NBC Saturday night because I was so pissed off that they were just repeasting (HD) Friday nights opening ceremonies. Nobody there but the receptionist who gave me the "comment on the Olympics" voicemail. I really socked it to them.

So Sunday's reward is showing all the stuff I watched on STV Saturday night (mens gymnastics, mens syncronized diveing, etc.). What a bunch of BS.

Anonymous

And NBC is trying to keep this down. It made no mention of this practice anywhere including its website. I heard about this like the day before the start of the Olympics only because I subscribe to Voom and Voom sent out a letter telling me about this. We need to expose NBC on this stupidity. All it did was to piss off a group of affluent consumers. I have had my HDTV since the Superbowl, I hope no one had gone out and bought a HDTV just because he/she saw NBC's advertisement of the Olympics in HD. What a deception.
NBC is the slowest major network (I don't consider Fox major) to bring out HD in sports. CBS has it last year on NFL and the final four. ABC's Monday Football has been in HD for a while. This year, NBC still broadcast Wimbledon in SD. What a disappointment. No wonder its viewership is declining and CBS' is going up. CBS has more HD programs.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"No wonder its viewership is declining and CBS' is going up. CBS has more HD programs."

Yeah that 4% of the US population that has both an HDTV and a Quam tuner are all watching CBS!

As far as no notice by NBC on the 24 hour delay, that was public knowledge over 30 days ago. Not exactly a national secret you know.

criss
Unregistered guest
I tried to email nbc and it's approach to HD programing. Way to difficult with surveys and other methods of blocking comments. CBS over the weekend broadcasted Golf in HD, and that is what I was watching. nbc really blew it. I'm going to email the advertisers on the re-run HD boardcasts and let them know I'm not watching something 24 hours old. I suggest you all do the same.

Anonymous

I think xvxvxvx is the only person who is completely satisfied with the NBC's delay. No one said it is a national secret. It is just a pointless action and NBC is keeping it down. With all the promotion on TV and the splash in the website, there is not even a disclaimer that tells people the HD is a repeat of SD from the day before.

Bronze Member
Username: Russl

Holbrook, NY USA

Post Number: 19
Wow!!! I was too nice above. NBC flat out sucks. Watched the men's 200 meter freestyle final on STV last night, followed some hour or so later on HDTV the heats (!!!) for the men's 200 meter freestyle. I'm going to really give it to them on the phone again today. Maybe we can get an apology from Bob Costos on the air (yeah, right).

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I never said I was completely satisfied with the HD production schedule that NBC has chosen. Just that it was public knowledge that the HD signal would be delayed by 24 hours. I am sorry that NBC did not send you a registered letter therby proffering you personal notification of their decision but perhaps they lost your address.

Keep in mind that it is a lot more convenient for those of us that wish to watch all the olympics in HD and at a time we choose rather than be glued to a SD version and be in see it or miss it mode.

Anonymous

That's funny, I didn't know a day behind is more convenient for people to watch the Olympics in HD or that is the time you have chosen. It is like saying that it is more convenient to watch Superbowl on Monday night after the game. Let's put it this way, there is nothing good to say about the delay no matter how well informed you are about NBC's programming plan.

Anonymous

I have been trying to justify my purchase of an expensive HDTV since last Christmas. We have 5 TV's in our household and the 1st thing my wife said was "why do we need another TV?". It was my hope to use the Olympics in HD to put her question to rest. Unfortunately for me, NBC has negated all my efforts in the last eight months. After about 5 minutes watching the repeats in HD, we both gave up and said "what's the point?". Not only the competitions were a day old, why would someone spend time watching a beautiful picture of award ceremonies over and over again?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"Let's put it this way, there is nothing good to say about the delay no matter how well informed you are about NBC's programming plan."

I just love arguing with half-wits, they are so poorly armed. The HD delay runs 24 hous a day in 8 hour increments. What is so hard to understand about it being more convenient for me (and many others) to choose the time of day they watch the Olympics? Do you understand yet? I work odd shifts and am not able to watch in prime time so to me the SD real time show of the Olympics is useless. Do you understand yet? From my perspective I cannot understand why anyone would want to be restricted to prime time olympics in SD when they caould watch them in HD at any hour of the day. Do you understand yet?

Anonymous

This is the poorest reasoning I've ever heard. I guess that's why you have to resort to name calling. I understand there are a lot of people who cannot watch shows in Prime time. BTW, as the name implies, prime-time is the when most people will watch TV in case you don't know that. The way you put it is useless for networks to put shows in prime-time because most people like you will miss them. Have you heard of VCR, DVR, DVD-RAM, etc.
Since I have to work the "normal" hours and can only watch TV during prime time (as the same as majority of the US population) and if NBC is smart enough, it would make the prime time 8-hour increment as the start of the new sequence. Do you understand? Do I need to draw a picture for you? I repeat. NBC can start the new HD rotation at 4PM to midnight and than repeat the segment all the way until 4PM of the following day. Got it? Give yourself a pack on the back and go back to sleep. You need it.

Anonymous

I think it was an economic reason for NBC to delay the Olympics HD broadcast. It does not want the HD to compete with the SD because there is absolutely no advertisers (other than the stupid Sony commercial) in HD. It is more for its bottomline than for its viewers. Shame on you, NBC.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"NBC can start the new HD rotation at 4PM to midnight and than repeat the segment all the way until 4PM of the following day."

Now just how is this different than what they are doing now? How can you be so upset that it is not in real time? After all you expect me to use a DVR or VCR and watch a time delayed Olympics yet you are so important you feel the need to watch HD in real time. You obviously have an inflated case of self importance.

Good day

Anonymous

NBC does allow certain areas to broadcast same day Olympics HD via satellite or cable service (not sure about OTA). These are the areas with their local NBC stations owned directly by NBC. I don't know how many NBC own stations are there but those people are damn lucky.

Anonymous

I missed the closing ceremonies in HD....When were they broadcast?

Anonymous

That was why people griped about it. It was broadcast in the morning only on Monday. But if you were a primetime viewer, you are out of luck.

Criss
Unregistered guest
The entire HD olmypics was a bust. Never watched it. Really hard to enjoy sporting events a day old. I emailed nbc and sony (seems like the only HD sponcer) and complained big time. Received no responce; no shock there. Hey you guys, if this is going to be fixed for the next series of events, email, call, write anyone you can think of. I'm really tired of being treated as a third class citizen because I enjoy HD broadcasts, and pay for them.

criss
Unregistered guest
And as I think about it, NBC has been disingenuous calling the HD Olympic as "boradcasted in HD" when it really is just replaying previously boardcasted events in HD

Anonymous

I am sure NBC is keeping a lid on all the complaints. Calling or e-mailing to NBC is useless. One must reach other sources of media to express the HD viewers' frustrations with NBC's arrogance. I wonder if NBC will broadcast other sports programs in HD with one day delay. I am glad it no longer has NFL games. Can you imagine watching a football game 24 hours later?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
" Can you imagine watching a football game 24 hours later?"

Errr, well, yes I can, in fact I do it all the time. Particularly on Sundays I watch one NFC game while recording the AFC games. Sometimes it is several days later before I watch the recorded games. Remember the entire world does not revolve around your personal universe and you will then understand.

I bet you dislike stop signs, warm beer and commercials too right?

Anonymous

I am glad that you do know about recording TV shows because a few letters above you said "After all you expect me to use a DVR or VCR and watch a time delayed Olympics.....". Your arguments are full of holes and I guess we know who is feeling more self-important.
Besides, what are you talking about? We were discussing the delay of Olympics HD. It does not affect your own unique watching habit at all. Is the primetime non-delay broadcast "sour grape" to you? Since you can't watch it in primetime, no one else should?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Reading comprehension lessons required! Nuff said!!

Anonymous

I feel sorry for you that you didn't comprehend this thread topic. May be you should start a new one called "Why would people want to watch live TV in prime time?"

Username: Soundmairman

Post Number: 1
I guess after 3 years the opinions would be different[link removed]
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help