Comcast Hi Def/DVR Box Questions

Username: Happyhillbilly

Post Number: 1
I just got my Comcast DVR (The silver motorola one) installed yesterday and I love it. I have a few quick questions about it though.

1. I was just curious about the Hi Def Channels, so I flipped to CBS HD and it worked! I have a regular definition TV. The picture looks clearer on the Hi Def channels too. My question is, how the heck is this possible. The box is connected to the TV by those cables (I forget the name they are like red white and blue, its not RCA.)

2. Some shows have the Dolby 5.1 logo near the description. My question is, the box only has 2 audio out ports (the ones I described in the first question) so how can I possibly get it in %5.1 Dolby?

fx
Unregistered guest
1. All programming transmitted on an HD channel is not necessarily HD. Your installer probably set the DVR to output 480i via the component cables so that is what you are seeing. Now are the cables red/white/yellow or red/green/blue? It makes a difference.

2. DD 5.1 only needs a single cable not six. Plus you did not describe any audio outputs in the 1st part of your question. Unless the installer used two RCA audio outputs and a single (normally yellow) RCA cable for video.

Please be more precise in your reply so I can help answer your questions accurately.

Plus unless you have a surround system the DD 5.1 question is not relevant.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 2
1. I figured out that the box is set to 480i. But why does it look so much better?

2. The only outputs are RCA's (and a bunch of other hi def stuff)

The cables are red white blue green and yellow, all bundled into a big strip.

I do have a surround sound system, and when its set to 6 ch (Can't set it to 5.1 when its on AUX, which the box is plugged into) I get a surround sound experience. What is the diffrence between 5, 5.1, and 2?

Username: Layla_430

how do i connect my comcast dvr to my combination dvd/vcr so that i can record my saved programs onto a vhs?

can someone help my please?

Post Number: 3
You shouldn't hijack other people's posts, just make your own, and it will get answred.

Anonymous

I have a Timewarner HD video recorder and would liek to download or send recorded programs to my computer regardless if they are HD or not. There is a USB connector on the box but does not respond when linked to my PC. Does anyone know how I can send shows to my PC from the video box?

Cable boy
Unregistered guest
ORIGINAL POST.... It looks like a better picture becasue it is a high def picture just cropped off and adjusted so the standard 4 x 3 tv will be able to show a picture. the cables red and white next to each other are the audio and the red blue green cables are the componnent cables. The green or blue one is in the yellow video out on the DVR and video in on the TV. it is just replacing the yellow cord. you need to use the RCA jacks through the dvd/vcr and make sure the settings are to video in the VCR. or get a RF Modulator and put it between the dvr and the VCR/DVD.

Unregistered guest
I have a Comcast DVR HiDef Motorala box that I am trying to find the unique 3 digit code to program the Television Remote. I have a Mitsubishi WS65809. The owner's manual does not supply the information and when I called their support, they had no idea. Comcast phone support could not assist either. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate the help.

fx
Unregistered guest
Morris,

Try either Jerrold or General Instrument codes. Also you won't be able to use all the features of your DVR using your TV remote.

xvxvxvx

Username: Ernest41

iam trying to connect my vcr to my dvr comcast box, is there a correct way to do this.

Anonymous

I am a total idiot when it comes to anything electronic. Is it true that when the switch is made to HD none of my tv sets will work at all? I have 6 sets in all, will I have to by a "box" for each one? We can't get cable where we live & we don't have a dish. If I get a dish will I still need to get a box? I even have a tv in my conversion van--theres no room to put any other device in there. HELP!

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 171
Sigh.

Okay please spread the word here because this is a common misperception. There is NO mandate to convert to HD at ALL. What is going to happen is that there will be a digital conversion for OVER THE AIR broadcasts and the current date for this is not until April of 2009. At this point (if they don't push it back again) anyone using an ANTENNA to get programming will need a digital converter or tuner for their old analog sets to work. The analog band will be auctioned off for cell phones or mind control devices to prevent terror.

So if you are using an antenna to get your programming, you will have to start worrying in about 3 years.

HD is a subset of digital broadcast and the change over to this will be driven by the market IE supply and demand rather than by government mandate.

Username: Buddagal

Chicago, Il USA

I also have a motoral dvr from comcast and i would like to transfer movies on it to my pc can anyone tell me what to but or download so i can move the stuff on the dvr to dvd?

Username: Washingtonese

I am a newbie with HDTV. I have bought a Comcast hdtv dvr from Ebay. I have comcast digital tv service at home. What do I need to do to make the box works?

Bronze Member
Username: 1movibuff

Post Number: 16
Thang- On the front left side of the DVR is there a sticker marked "Comcast" or stickers on the back or bottom? If there is you may be out of luck. Comcast does not sell their DVR's, or HD receiver's because they don't own them,(at least to my knowledge they don't) they are supplied to cable companies by Motorola. If it does have a Comcast sticker and you bought it from ebay then it is an unreturned equipment from someone's account and they just made themselves a tidy little profit at your expense. The best way to verify is to call the cable company and explain why you are calling. Don't worry, you won't get into any trouble. Even if it came from out of state it can be traced. If it is listed as "unrecovered" more than likely the DVR will not be activated for you. Even though you bought it in good faith, the person who sold it to you may have known that it was Comcast property and they were selling a piece of equipment that the buyer would never be able to use. What it boils down to is this: if the DVR has a Comcast sticker on it, you have been scammed

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Thang- I did verify the cable company does own their equipment, but they still do not sell their DVR's. If the DVR is not listed as "unrecovered" and does not have a Comcast serial # they should be able to add it to your account and activate it. Give them a call & ask. Some reps are not aware that there are legitimate web sites that sell the same stb to consumers that the cable companys use.

Username: Stpal

Hi -

I have a comcast (motorola) dct6400 cable box with dvr. I would like to connect to it a go video dvd recorder/vcr (vr3845). i have a Mitsubishi WS65809 tv. I would like to be able to record live tv to dvd, record programs stored on the dvr to dvd, and also use the dvd player as well to view dvds. Can anyone help with detailed instructions on the connections and cables required. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
steve- here is a couple of links showing diagrams on cable equipment connections. I hope they help.

http://sitesearch.comcast.net/?c=com&corp=&i=1&linkid=19&q=dvr&t1=User+Guides&te l=-1&u1=q&u2=t1&x=16&y=4

http://comcast.com/diagrams/?LinkID=354

Thanks, 1movibuff for verifying that. I will call them to ask again. I could not return the box to that seller anyway.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
I feel real bad this happened to you. I browsed through ebays' DVR & STB listings & I'm suprised how many people are actually bidding on them. The Motorola DCT5100/6200/6208/6412 is used by Comcast and is not sold by any retailer in the U.S. Some of the DCT's in the 2000 range are also used by the cable company and I do not believe is available for sale by retail. I am not familiar with what other cable companies use and I don't know if they would activate these DCT's on their system if the equipment is not in their inventory. There are websites that sell DVR's, TV's, etc. that are legitimate and are not the DCT's I mentioned. The serial # on the STB is also a great way to verify if it is cable company property or if it came out of Canada. Let me know how it turns out.

Post Number: 3
Hi 1movibuff,
I have checked the box and there's no comcast lable in front or anywhere. Can you advice me what I can do?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
The best way to verify if you can use it is to take it in to one of the front counter offices and show it someone there. The people who stock the equipment for the techs will know right away if you can use it or not. If you can, then the serial number can be added into inventory and put onto your account, that way it will become activated. Don't be afraid to go in, you are not the only person this has happened to. Let me know what happens.

Username: Stewartizmyman

Hello Im new here and really need some help We have Comcast Motorola DCT3412I highdef DVR( duel tuner)
This is the 5th box since May and Im about ready to scream. We have had several issues with the boxes the only consistant problem has been that when we schedule a program to record it will no problem but when its finished the entire box shuts itelf off. HOW can we remedy this.. Like I said we have had Comcast out here 8 times 5 times they have replaced the box.

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 163
The box recordss whether the power is on or off, it doesn't matter. I don't understand your question or your problem.

xvxvxvx

Username: Lostinlodos

Thang---
Anyone can acquire a ligament cable box. Comcast does "write-off" and charge account holders for their equipment if it is not picked up, and if the account is paid off, the old user now owns the box. As such they can sell the box. Federal Law mandates that the cable companies activate any cable box that a user may have, so long as that cable company (or satellite) does not list that box as stolen. If they do list it as stolen, they are required to submit proof, again by federal law, of the theft, ie police report from the ORIGINAL account's local with proof of prior account, or insurance submission with matching serial number on notarized letterhead.
As for the so-called non-sold boxes, a quick call to, say, Motorola's sales and distribution line can set you up with one at MSRP, for the new comcast dual-tuner HD boxes (silver/grey) they run $350. Now, depending on the rep you get, and the box you want to buy, you may be able to buy just one, or you may be required to purchase 2+ boxes. I've done this in the past, to resell the boxes at about $100 mark-up on eBay, Yahoo, and Amazon. My mark-up is still 50 to 100 dollars less than the cable company "sells" their box for when you "fail to return it". Plus, it's legal, works on any cable system, and can be moded or tampered with all you like. The only thing Comcast is allowed to withhold from you is customer service, regarding the box. If you have a problem with your cable, you will need to hire your own tech (check the yellow pages) or fix it yourself. Same goes for Internet broad-band modems.

Just remember that the lower level operators may not be aware of the law as the company doesn't want the word spread, they haven't liked the law since it was passed, and you may need to be pushy a bit when you get a supervisor on the line, and at worst, threaten to report them to the FCC for failing to comply with the regulations in order to get them to activate your legal box. A box pays for its self if you plan to have your service for a while. 9.99/mo + taxes +mandated HD service, even if you don't have an HD TV, +mandated second set fees, even if you only have one TV, it adds up to close to $20 with comcast, and $30 with COX, Time Warner, and others. Your box can pay off in a year, or so.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 170
Jason,

I get tired of refuting poeple who make posts like yours. Yes you can own a box that has not been stolen from a cable company. No they are not obligated to allow any digital STB to be connected to their network, on;y analog boxes. Please do better research in the future and try to post accurate information. This applies to the USA, you can legally own your own STB in Canada.

If you still think you are correct and I am wrong then please post a link to this "law" to which you refer. It is non-existent, the closest you will find is an FCC regulation which contradicts your basic premise.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 7
I point to the case of John-Robert Clark vs Charter Cable Systems, Cape Girardeau, MO 2004.
As was found by the presiding justice; FCC regulations require an entertainment provider to provide access to a customer who request service on comparable equipment, of private ownership, and that the regulations and their amendments that apply to analog equipment (competitive distribution act/non-proprietary services regulation, circa 1996/ circa 1992, circa 1987) shall apply to digital broadcast receivers, of private ownership as well, if compatible, comparable equipment is supplied by the consumer. Now my quote is not exact, as the case was decided more than two years ago, and all the research and documents stemming from that case have long since been filed and stored, but the judge's ruling got me digital service from Charter (and no tech support) on a box that I bought (failed to return at termination, NRE fees paid with transferred ownership) from Time Warner cable after I moved out of their coverage area. The case is public record though...heard in Cape County Circuit Court in March of that year. Feel free to look it up if it's important to you, but that case has since been referenced to in settlements of cases in Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Montana, and California. I believe the most recent case was back in 2006 February or March, in LA-CA, I can't recall exactly the date, but it made the NY-T, which is how I know that my case made a difference beyond just getting me out of the stiff rental fees they were charging at the time for their digital service, as it was a sparse offering then, on a trial basis in Cape County, prior to the complete roll-out they did later that year.
The assumption is that if it came to that point, the the threat of another hearing that is bound to go as previous ones have, in the way of the consumer, will cost the Cable Company far more to defend than the consumer, and that the company would fold before the hand was played out. If they don't, the cost of going to trial on such a case could easily be passed off to any number of watch-dog groups as the previous cases have been. Organizations such as the ConU and the ACLU love to take on the mega-big-brother corporations that step all over the little guys like us, and if done right, could even be bankrolled completely, being free for the customer, do the the high likelihood of victory and the press these cases get on the occasions they do go to trial
Oh, and just for the record, it's
H-DL John-Robert Clark, Esq.

Username: Redneck_mud_runner

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 8
a cable company does not have to activate a personally owned box and in a lot of cases they cant
for example, comcast in my area uses motorola equipment at the headend and also for the end user (customer)

Now what if someone goes out and gets a scientific atlanta STB and wants comcast to activate it? comcast has no way to communicate with that box because their headend is motorola, so what can they do, well they can and will tell you to use your STB for a boat anchor and they will offer to lease or rent you a STB that is compatible with their headend.
so as far as purchasing your own STB it is a waste of your hard earned $ , they dont activate them.
they wont and in most cases cant

Bronze Member

Japan, Ameri...

Post Number: 16
They are required to send the signal to your box, and allow your box to read the signal. They are NOT required to offer you the same services as if you use their box. I also recently had Comcast and used a private Motorola DHT on one TV, from them, and a LG tuner on a second. For example, if you have a digital box, they are required to give you the basic digital services, which can be loaded with any digital tuner.
They have the right to refuse you PPV-from-remote orders and On Demand service.
If they refuse, simply threaten to call your state's Attorney's office; that's often the only step you'll need to take. If they still say no, call the state's Attorney's office, and file a complaint. That will typically produce the desired result in a few days at most. I know most people can't go to court to force the hand like I did. That wasn't the only option though. With federal regulations now set in stone 'though, it's as easy as threatening to make it a government/legal issue, and then following through by calling your state level offices. They're there to help you. Comcast is about the worst of the cable companies as far as service and following the rules. So good luck.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 238
Jason,

A local court has no jurisdiction to enforce a federal FCC regulation. You need a better storyline my friend.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us