No picture quality???

Username: Suziecue

Post Number: 7
trying to catch echostar 9 channels with viewsat. have done channel scans for desired transponders. each one gives a strong signal and quality. have captured all the desired channels but having trouble in getting picture quality when trying to view the tv. i see all the programming info for the station, strong signal but no picture. does anybody know why?

have taken the unit out and installed it elsewhere and was able to see all the channels.

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 6432
then check cable, connections...must be a hardware issue if works elsewhere or antenna/dish receiver settings (port-disque)...but something in your post is not right either..

Post Number: 8
it's a 33" dish. tried with both a linear lnb and regular lnb, tried setting the lnb type to universal and standard and still getting the same thing.

Post Number: 9
i am able to see a small portion of the channels. from the guide, some channels have no information and some have programming info. however, no picture quality with the ones with no information and most of the ones that even have programming info. very strange. if the satellite dish can pick-up channel info, why can't i pick up picture quality?

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 217
I do have a great idea why!!!
You actually got many things missed-up

- I think you scanned same Sat on 2 different dish installations
- You probablly got some channels jumping as well
- Scanned same SAT many times overlap transponders
- You scanned something else other than Ech-st-9
- Your DISEqC is also got wrong settings

This is what I suggest:
-List in detail every single hardware such LNBs, types, how many, dish pointing, DISEqC etc.
What are all SATs You are trying to get if other than Echo-Star-9?

You might need to do the following:
- reset to factory default
- re-scan SAT chan only one time
- Make sure got latest bin 12-16 or 12-17
This will solve all above symptems

Post Number: 10
to start, i plugged in my cable for echostar 9 directly into the unit with no diseqc. i've reseted the factory defaults twice.

first reset, went to antena setup and did a channel scan. here, i only got 44 channels. and a couple of channels from china were viewable.

then i reseted the unit a second time. this time, i went to channel scan and added desired transponders. only channel scanned those transponders that had a strong signal and strong quality. got 130 tv channels. the same thing, only a couple of channels from china where actually viewable. however, this time was able to see different channels compared to the previous attempt. i am able to see alot of the program info but no picture.

got dec 13 file update.

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
I'm still guessing because you didn't provide any hardware info. based on LNBs dish pointing etc I'm also guessing you are scanning wrong SAT it is probably pointed to 97.

Here are the requirements for 121°W
- Pointing and elevation (give me your state and I will calculate for you)
- RG-6/quad shield cables with good crimps (highly recommended)
- One linear LNBF for 121 echo-str-9
- 30" or larger dish
- no DISEqC (which you did to start)
- Set-up LNB (universal), DISEqC (none)
- After factory default it won't hurt to do blind scan first (I think it is F2 this may take about 20 minutes) followed by SAT chan scan it think it is F1
- You may have to get a newer version PGM bin 12-17

Example for 121 from NYC
Ech-St-9 121°W Elevation 24° Azimuth 240°
240° means you start true north and go 240° clockwise (compos will be helpful but I never use it)

Silver Member
Username: Big_fat_j

POTTSVILLE, STONEYTOWN GREEN-LAND

Post Number: 257
The asian chanells sound like like your pointed at 127w.

Move the dish east a little.8 Deg.,and up a deg. or 2.

Both those sats are KU LINEAR and require a linear lnb+30" dish.Your settings should be,freq 10750 ,lnb type depends on the lnb you have.Try standard or universal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
Thank you Herb I had to guess what I didn't know

Silver Member
Username: Big_fat_j

POTTSVILLE, STONEYTOWN GREEN-LAND

Post Number: 258
I'm guessing myself.To tell for sure cross reference the chanells your getting at lyngsat.Compare freq(s) and channel name(s) that you getting to the sat you want and the other near by sats.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
thanx guys!!!

problem fixed. the extreme's internal memory was insufficient, to manually add a transponder and channel scan each time. only the channels from the first scanned transponder were viewable. therefore, back to factory default, add individual transponders, exit back to antenna setup and do a 1 time channel scan.

i guess it was a memory or procedure issue.

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
Why mannually enter transpoders in first place?
So much easier to auto scan all channels and delete what you are not using
- I'm telling you that because you'll see channels move out and new ones come in, may or may not be same transponders.
- You can do selective transponders only if using same LNB for 2 different SATs next to each others
Good Luck anyway
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us