HDMI and 1080p

Username: Bpm382

Post Number: 2
I have a Sony SXRD 1080p television. As far as 1080p goes, I know there are no cable tv channels that broadcast in 1080p right now. Do you think there will be 1080p broadcasts in the future? As far as HDMI, is there such thing as a 1080p compatible HDMI cable. I was looking at MONSTER HDMI cables and they all said 1080i. Does that mean that if I connect a 1080p Blue Ray Disc Player to my 1080p television using a 1080i HDMI cable, I will not be getting a true 1080p signal? Also, do you know of any good 1080p HDMI cables(if such a thing exsits).

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 165
"Do you think there will be 1080p broadcasts in the future?"

Do you mean in ten years or less? The answer is no. Do you mean in the distant future? The answer is still likely no, there will be a better solution in a decade or so (ie: 3D Holograph projections) Do you want to know why the answer is no? Ask me in a followup post.

So many questions Brian, so little time. The BluRay processes 1080p but only outputs 1080i so it doesn't matter yet. Also I am 90% sure your Sony SXRD would not accept a 1080p input signal via an HDMI even if you could generate it.

Finally a new HDMI spec is being developed HDMI V1.03, all current devices use either V1.02 or V1.01 now and there are some audio daisychaining conflicts between the two. V1.03 should make all well (with a new type of physical connection of course) in the world of digital Audio/Video transmission.

xvxvxvx

Username: Mobility

Post Number: 1
INHD claims to be broadcast in 1080p. http://www.inhd.com/indexFlash.jsp
HDMI cables can display 1080p signals

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1075
From a Home Theater Magazine review of Sony's "1080p" TV:

How does a direct 1080p source look? Well, it doesn't. Like the other 1080p displays we've reviewed, this one doesn't accept a 1080p signal. Even if there aren't many 1080p sources available now (an HTPC being the only one), it won't be that way forever. Sony says that the KDS-R60XBR1 lacks a 1080p input because the copy protection hasn't been worked out yet for the 1080p sources. This is disappointing, as early adopters miss out again. When products do ship with a 1080p output, you won't be able to input the display's native resolution. How bad is this, really? As most 1080p material runs at 24 frames per second, as long as the TV performs 3:2 pulldown well (in this case, it does), then you really shouldn't notice much difference, if any. More disappointing is that you can't expand a 1,280-by-720 signal (or any other resolution) on the RGB input, so there is no way to fill the screen on that input.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/rearprojectiontvs/1105sony/index.html

From HDMI's site:

HDMI has always supported 1080p resolution, starting from version 1.0 in 2002. However, as with many functions that HDMI enables (such as DVD-Audio and SACD), it is up to the manufacturer to choose whether to implement 1080p in the device. Some TV and device manufacturers have chosen not to implement 1080p in their products because 1080p content has not been widely available, and because changing the internal electronics of the device to support 1080p would increase cost.

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/faq.asp#q6_3

Finally, the HDMI 1.3 specification was only just finalized a couple months ago, so it is not likely to appear in any products until 2007 at the earliest.

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 166
"INHD claims to be broadcast in 1080p. http://www.inhd.com/indexFlash.jsp
HDMI cables can display 1080p signals
"

To John Austin,

Ever think of reading your own links. It SAYS in large blue flashing letters, "presentied in 1080i".

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member
Username: Cobra11

Post Number: 21
The 1080p signal (1080 x 1920 pixels progressive) is too big to travel through a typical size 6MHz broadcast channel using the current MPEG-2 video compression.

Many newer HDTVs support 1080p signals but we are limited to viewing 1080p as an "upconverstion" from a DVD player or HD-DVD player today. The true 1080p signals via the airwaves or cable are too large for a current broadcast channel. So I would not hold your breath waiting for any live broadcasting in the 1080p format. I think it is currently relegated to be a pro or more often to be seen as an archival format or an upconvert format.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us