Dish 500 Question/s...anybody, anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Silver Member
Username: Ryersonresurrected

Post Number: 155
Dish 500 setup:
110 & 119 to a Pansat 2700

Well, i'm not giving up on this....i got more newbie questions...

I'm still trying to make this Dish 500 work somewhat decently. It has been a lot of grief - scanning 110 gives me 119 and vice versa along with other problems.

Googling hasn't completely solved all, so i'm going to ask newbie questions with the hope that someone has already gone thru this at one time.

The two coaxial cables coming out of the Dish 500:

1) can i hook them up to a sw-21 switch and then run the cable to a diseqc switch?

2) Should i be hooking up the two cables coming out of the Dish 500 to the diseqc switch directly?

3) Someone told me that i don't need the two cables both hooked up, that one was sufficient, and that the other one was just there for another receiver (this seems odd), can anybody validate this?

Does anybody know the answers to these silly questions?

4)

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
ps: I will read if anyone can point me in the right direction......a good link, for example.

Silver Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 689
First you need to give more information. Dish 500 means nothing unless you specify what LNB you have. Do you have a DishPro (Twin) LNB or DishProPlus? That will determine what it is you need to do to make this work. For example: DishProPlus LNB's are a pain to make work. So the first think I would tell you is get rid of it. You'll need a DishPro (Twin) LNB. Each cable that comes from the LNB carries both sat signals 110 & 119. Then you to configure your box accordingly. 119 set to DiSeCQ #1 and 110 to DiSeCQ #2. Last but not least is you'll need to specify in the LNB Type of the atena setup that you are using DishPro LNB's. But again, this is all guess work unless you are more specific with what you have.

Silver Member
Username: Jenifer_contreras

PIMP MemberYokosuka, Ka...

Post Number: 466
Does anybody know the answers to these silly questions?
Ryerson! I do!!!

Silver Member
Username: Jenifer_contreras

PIMP MemberYokosuka, Ka...

Post Number: 467
Buy me a ticket to...
But first class!!! 30 min...and you'll watch your Plasma!

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
"Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before?"

A Dish 500. Anyone know what this is? It's used to receive DISH Network programming. Some programing for DISH Network is only available if you have a DISH 500 dish. This is very difficult. Does anyone know what Vice President Bush called this in 1980? Anyone? Something-d-o-o FTA. - No, not "Voodoo FTA."

Upload

It's a "multi-satellite" dish used to receive DISH Network programming.

Silver Member

Post Number: 691
Ryerson - You still didn't answer the question. Dish 500 is nothing more then a piece of metal with a dish 500 logo painted on it. It means nothing. What you need to figure out is what LNB's you are using. Get with the program buddy if you want answers, you need to know the question to ask.

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 5110
Ryerson...this will explain it all with pics too..

[link removed]

U know the routine...copy/paste the link...remove the * in link...and register for free..

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
PRFRMNJ , i will go out and visually examine the type of lnb....it's very high though, and i hope i do not fall from looking up so high.

I will come back and post what i have observed. Thanks for that already, i like the possibilities u gave.

Jenifer, i am giving u a detention for Saturday...or all this week after class. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 692
Here are the two LNB's
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 693
The top LNB is a DishPro Plus - Two outputs with one input for another LNB. I will work, but it's a pain to get it to do so.

The bottom LNB is the DishPro (Twin). Very FTA Friendly and easy to use. Just follow the instructions I posted above.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
PRFRMNJ , i checked and it appears to me that it is a "twin LNB". The LNB is similar to this pic below:

Upload

However, i'm seeing similar pictures for dishpro plus, how can i tell the difference?

Do u know about the sw-21 connection to diseqc? Or is that dependant on the LNBs as well?

LK, thanks again for that - i will get on reading that right away - u always seem to come thru. I'm hoping most of the answers are there...we'll see, i guess. If not, it won't hurt for me to keep checking -- someone may have run into this before.

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
sorry, i was late posting - i'll check ur pics, but i only have a view from down low...

Silver Member

Post Number: 697
Ryerson, you don't need a switch with this type of LNB. Unless it has it printed on the LNB the only way I can tell you to chedk is as follows: Using the pictuers posted above:

1. Take the LNB off the mast and look at the imputs. If you two or four it's a Dish Pro (Twin or Quad) accordingly.

2. If it has what appears to be three outputs - It's a DishProPlus and the single output is actually an input and it's a pain to get working correctly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
i do believe it is a twin....the guy who helped me install this would have told me abbout the third input - because i remember i was impressed we were getting the dual LNB (Approx. 6 yrs ago, 2000).

It was pretty new in the neighborhood already - I'm sure he would have mentioned the third, additional, option if it were there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 698
Last but not least - you'll need to configure your box as I posted earlier 119 to DiSeCQ #1 and 110 to DiSeCQ #2.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
PRFRMNJ, if memory serves me correct, it came with a sw-21 switch....umm, wouldn't that suggest connecting both cables to it?

I'm not completely certain if it came IN the box, or if we had to buy it seperately though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 701
This type of LNB has a built in switch. There is no need to connect a SW-21 switch to this. Not to mention SW-21's are not to FTA Friendly. So the answer is NO, don't connect the switch. Simply connect a cable from the LNB to your box and configure as posted above.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
"Last but not least - you'll need to configure your box as I posted earlier 119 to DiSeCQ #1 and 110 to DiSeCQ #2."

OK, this is useful to know.....

I'm curious, why would it need to be so specific? Because i'm certain it's not on 1 or 2....

Also, stupid question...but how will i know which cable is 110 and which is 119?

Right now, hooking up either one just gives me the same channels when scanning. But then again, i don't think they are hooked up as u advised: 119 to #1 and 110 to #2

Silver Member

Post Number: 703
Ryerson - The LNB has a built in Switch. That means that one cable directly into your box is already going to have both signals (110 & 119). As for why so specific on the numbers. This is standard setup for that type of LNB. It carries 119 in position #1 of the built-in switch and 110 in position #2. That's why you have to be specific in the configuration. Basically, go into the antena setup/installation and where you have the option by the DiSeCQ put the appropriate numbers. You do not need to run two cables. Just one cable from the LNB to the box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
PRFRMNJ, thank u for all that...it may take me a while to do this, and some more reading....i will keep u posted. But these kind of hints 119 to 1, is what I was looking for to try anew.

I'll keep u posted, hopefully there will be some progress.....thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
btw, i HAVE recently hooked up 91, and 121 to the diseqc as well...u still say 119 to 1?

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
My settings tell me that 119 is set to 1.....and that 110 is set to 3.

I may need some small ladder to get at the switch...so i will try ur setp instructions asap....

Since i have ur attention, any idea why i can't get any signal on transponder 2?

12239 and most of the other Horizontals don't catch signal....that's why i can't get most of my channels to come in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5112
FYI...most Dish 500's have either 1 TWIN Dish Pro (DP)logo on it...or 2 dual LNB's (these do NOT have to be DP)..the twin receives 2 sat signals (110-119) and sends both signals to receiver on 1 cable connected to 1 of the outputs (it has an internal disque switch that combines the 2 sat signals)....the dual receivers ONLY 1 sat signal...both LNB's have 2 outputs for 2 receivers..Many get Dual and Twin confused...below is a pic of each

and if its an old Dishnet (DN) install, it probably has a SW21 switch for DN receivers and a legacy twin LNB...if so, U cannot use the legacy twin LNB or the switch..for Pansat FTA receivers, if U have a TWIN LNB, it must say Dish Pro"... U must use disque switches or multiswitches if more than 2 receivers (not SW switches),if using other sats and LNB's like the 91 and 121, along with the 110 and 119...

If U have a Dish Pro Plus(DPP) TWIN LNB, which is highly unlikely, unless this is a very recent roof install, then U can use the LNB, but NO switches and can ONLY run 1 other LNB/sat directly to your DPP LNB twin LNB...and MUST leave receivers on all time to power the LNB's..The DPP LNB's are not great for FTA use...and U can tell the difference of DP and DPP by just reading the LNB's logos..

Dual LNB....Upload

Twin LNB....Upload

Silver Member
Username: Albino_midget

Post Number: 288
more info on lnb`s and switches
at this site, need to register--free
[link removed]

Gold Member

Post Number: 5113
DP LNB's convert all to Vertical!

UNDERSTAND DISH PRO STACKED TECHNOLOGY..another c/p

DishPro LNBFs are a new technology that is only supported in the newest receivers from Dish Network (Models 301, 501, 508, and 721). DishPro LNBFs and switches allow for longer runs up to 200 feet from receivers to the dish. DishPro installations are easier as there are fewer cables to run from the dish to the switch(es) for more than 2 receivers as well as simpler installations if more than 4 satellite feeds are needed (especially important now that 721s and 921s need 2 satellite feeds per receiver).
Quick lesson: all DBS providers have up to 32 frequencies to use per orbital slot. The Frequencies are opposite polarities either even or odd. Legacy LNBFs and switches can only transmit one polarity at a time down the feed cable to your receiver. Legacy switches and LNBFs use a voltage signal from your receiver to change the polarity of the LNBF it is connected to, 13 volts is odd, 18 volts is even. Since voltage will drop as the length of the cable gets longer, at some point the attenuation of the cable will drop the voltage from the receiver below 18 volts so that the LNBF can't switch to the even polarity even though the signal from the receiver is 18 volts the LNBF is only able to use the 13 volt or odd polarity.
DishPro is different as it will stack or transmit both even and odd signals down the same wire, by shifting the frequencies up so both polarities can travel the same feed to the receiver or switch. Since this is the case the LNBF doesn't need the receiver voltage to switch back and forth. A switch is necessary to be able to connect one stacked 119° feed and one stacked 110° feed to each receiver. The only way a legacy receiver will work with this arrangement of LNBFs and Dish Pro switches is with a DishPro adapter that can down convert the stacked frequencies to the standard odd or even only frequencies. Each legacy receiver has to use this adapter which must be installed within 10 feet of the receiver.

FTA testing requires to change all Horizontal polarity to Vertical due to the fact that Dish Pro uses stacked technology(bandstacking scheme the IF frequency of the horizontal block is shifted upwards to vertical) They will need to be edited for example( just go to Menu-Installaytion-Tp/edit and set all to V) then subtract all horiz. transps. frecuencies from 25600. enter result as your new transp freq. (IE. on sat 119 transp 6 is 12297h. doing the subtraction, you get 13303. So change transp 6 to 13303). This is needed because dishpro lnbs use an oscilator that runs at 25600mhz. this is mixed with the horizontal transp freqs and new freqs are generated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
Thanks LK...

There are no such logos on it, but it does look more like the bottom pic u posted.

Also, ur first description sounds accurate, and is similar to what i was told years ago. But it has received both sat signals 110 & 119 in the past ....just not very efficiently.

The receiver was originally made for the Dish Net receiver....but even caused problems back then....switching channels and things like that.

The sw switch has been diconnected for a while...so i guess i won't bother trying it on my FTA equipment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5120
If it looks like the bottom pic of a TWIN LNB, BUT NO "Dish pro" logo, then U cannot even use it with the Pansat!...its a Legacy twin with a sw21 switch and probably had another LNB or dish going to the switch..

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
wow, really....it does work though....it just gives me headaches at times: like now when i'm tryin' to blind scan 110 and 119...but it was working half decently a few weeks ago.

I/m finding all kinds of crazy combinations of dish 500/LNB and pro setups online - driving me nuts sifting thru them all.

thanks LK for all ur help

thanks albino for that as well...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us