HD Signal Question

Username: Johnd7

Post Number: 8
Cox cable told me I could not have both a cable card and an HD-DVR on one outlet. They refused to come install the cable card if I had a box also they said they would take it or refuse the install. Can I not split the signal from the wall just like I always have so one goes to the HD-DVR and one to the Cable Card? I explained I was not stealing anything as I would be paying same rental fee for all the equipment regardless of where its located.
I actually have two active cable outlets from the wall anyway so I really do not have to split but here is the setup I after...
Outlet 1--->Regular Tivo---->TV
Outlet 2--->Splitter----->Cable Card
----->HD-DVR

Any reason this wouldnt work? I have always done a simillar setup with my current non hd setup.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 716
The only reason would be Cox cables policy, I've routinely connected a STB on the same TV as a CC, there is no logical reason you couldn't do the same. I would be curious as to why they claim it can't be done?

Bronze Member
Username: Johnd7

Post Number: 11
Thats what I thought. I guess they say the signal will not be strong enough for HD if split, not real sure why.

Speaking of signals, I am confused on signal splitting. Isn't each room in a house essentially a split signal from where it comes into the house? I guess I am confused because i hear of people having problems splitting signals at an outlet, but I just wondered the difference in that and splitting it to all the rooms in the house.

Silver Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 123
D Snyder...I'm no expert but I think the problem lies in the receivers. Each signal that has been split needs to be decoded by the receiver, I think.

Or perhaps it's because they want each signal to be decoded by a receiver to increase their margin. :dunno:

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 797
There is no problem other then what was mentioned before. There is nothing equipment related with the type of connection he is trying to make that would not work. If Comcast says it won't work, have the install the box on another TV, wait for them to leave then move it to the one you want it on. Get a 2-way splitter and connect 1 end to the stb, the other to your TV RF input. Perhaps it's because they don't want to do it. If I hadn't done it myself I would have at least tried to see if it would work. Worst case scenario is it won't work, which leaves you no worse off then you already are. If it does work, they get the benefit of charging you for the additional equipment ~DUH!! more money, isn't that what everybody says the big bad cable monopolies are after anyway? LOL~
In all seriousness though, if your signals are that bad off that it can't handle a 2-way splitter you've got bigger problems then what they will or won't do. That's rediculous from start to finish. What if you were to add another TV in your house, they would have to come out and increase the split at the main point to accomodate the new line right? What's the difference if they split downstairs of upstairs at that point? Hell, for that matter have them run a second wire to that TV from the main split, then what's their argument? Sorry to vent, but it's ludicrous to tell somebody it can't be done, when it can, pure and simply laziness or lack of concern. Either way it can be done by you if they won't.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us