Dish reception from a solarium.

Username: Sadia_malik

Post Number: 1
I am interesting in getting a condominium, which is facing southwest but has no balcony, only a solarium. If I install my dish in the solarium will it be able to catch the signals (ofcourse once all FTA's r up), to get good reception. I wont be allowed to put the dish on the exterior wall, only behind the solarium glass. Any help is appreciated.

Username: Oldtrafford

Sooke, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 1
Hi Sadia, I have`my dish in the house. It works fine through my patio door galss. When you open the door the metal on the door kills the signal. I found that I can receive a good signal when there is only glass between the dish and the bird. The signal fails when anything other than glass gets in the way. I can also only get one bird as the access to the sky is very limited.

Bronze Member
Username: Storyteller

Post Number: 29
I beleive solarium glass is much thicker gauge and has various IF coatings etc.. Don't expect to get any signals.

Silver Member
Username: Hardrockstriker

Post Number: 231
Glass definitely kills the signal. We tried it in my friend's condo and we barely got a signal. So we managed to hide in outside under a thin wood box. Works ih the box, but barely!

Silver Member
Username: Bobkakabobkaka

Post Number: 306
Sadia, I got mine in behind solarium glass, the only problem is (after a lot of experimenting and using some of the information I learned in physics) I found out that the signal refracts just like light and it bends towards the normal then away from the normal as it re-enters the air. Thus the elevation and azimth angles are a bit different and that is where you have to experiment (depending on your glass, etc.) Thus I suggest you buy a signal meter and hook it up to the dish and do some experimenting. (For elevation, It will always be in the negative thus the dish has to to bend towards the ground if its behing glass).

Best of Luck,

Omar San
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us