Things to think about regarding ECMs....

Silver Member
Username: Hardrockstriker

Post Number: 169
It's most likely not the end.

Things to keep in mind:

1. This ECM is a rehash of the last. CMD7 algorithm has changed. It must be reverse-engineered to fix. Reverse engineering takes time, and a bit of luck. Last time around they were able to reverse-engineer a little quicker than this time around.

2. They can speed up the data stream and make card changes as much as they want. But... they are limited by economics. If DN wants to put faster processors in their receivers for stronger encryption then the receiver price goes up and result: less customers. DirectTV decided to do this (with card changes) and it costed a bundle, and it took them four attempts (F card, H card, HU card, etc...).

3. There's always a "hole" in the technology that the engineers have missed. This is how security is penetrated. DirectTV probably has such a hole. But, because DN and Bev are so insecure, why waste time hacking Direct when TV is free for that taking from less secure providers such as DN and Bev.

And most importantly: encryption on computers is exremely strong because of the fact that there is sufficient processing power on both the client and server ends. With satellite, satellites cannot provide processing so it must all be done on the receiver end (which is why we use Nagra as opposed to full RSA). Therefore, a less stronger encyption, which is hackable. Sure we may need to upgrade our receivers but it's a small price to pay for free TV.

I'm not trying to be an optimist. Just some stuff to think about.

Username: The_voice

Post Number: 1
I am thinking that this is something that FTA coders have never seen before or ever experienced and are publicly stating, that its only 50/50 for a fix in a week..and if not then, probably never.

I already have alternatives in place, just in case.

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
That's always a possibility that it can't be solved with current technology. But, DN has only issued a rev and not card update, and, ROM102 still works, and we are emulating. So it should be a matter of figuring out the puzzle, however long that may take.

Gold Member
Username: The_wank_artist

Post Number: 1185
But if they keep changing the puzzle as the coders build it then the bins they start become mute?

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
That's the game we have to play in the world of piracy. When FTA became super popular, networks losing lots of $$$ and then they have to do something about it. It's a vicious cycle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
The unfortunate thing is that all of these receivers are proprietary so each company is working on its own (maybe not some info sharing going on) to solve the puzzle. If the code was open source (and could be compiled for any receiver) then we would have an entire Internet community working on the problem. Until that happnens there will be long waits.

Post Number: 6
Coders (Pansat and Viewsat) have joined forces..slow machines are history..Pansat 2500/2700 and ALL their clones are door stoppers now..will still be awhile for a fix...BL just flew back to Germany to test a NEW hack system, cause our present hack cannot break this ECM..Coo*lsat is expecting 8-10 weeks for a fix..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1187
It's like 'I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat.'
Yeah, when you start seeing ads in newspapers for fta receivers at local electronic stores you know that the fhits going to his the san.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1188
But with a move to open source you're going to run in to terrible bins, f'ing up receivers left and right. I'd like to see the manufacturers join forces but that's never going to happen because one will always screw over another to add to their bottom line.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
Open source usually has a centralized committee that puts out only 1 version of software/bin which has been tested and declared stable. Also, bugs are reported to the committee. Just look at how well Linux has done for itself - Bind DNS, Apache, etc...

Post Number: 9
I beleive they are going to emu good cam's and eeproms into FTA bins..therefore creating private sites and files again,like in the DTV days..and making public files useless again like in DTV days.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1190
So one brand and one bin?
Would that not be vulnerable to only have the one system running?

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
Then, thank god for bit torrent sites!

Username: Ganjaman

Post Number: 9
In the initial stages maybe we'll fry some boxes but thats part of the process. Once collective knowledge increases, we'll all benefit. Don't be so shortsighted Tyler - look further down the road.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
Tyler, necessity is the mother of invention. When the day comes when FTA is screwed, I'm sure something else will come along.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1191
No, I am trying to look down the road, but this is getting a wee bit over my head. I was thinking that if they all work together, the powers that be would have a much easier job of stopping them. In some ways the multi brand business makes sense. It's competative, keeps them honest (as honest as they can be), and gives the consumer opportunity to select thier poison.
In a collect group, the consumer has no choice and pays whatever the market value is for the receiver. Then are held captive by the manufactures/coders. Unless I'm not getting what Jason is saying.

Username: Funkjack

Post Number: 1
We should say bad things about dish network to people we know that actually pay for it, so they cant afford to do upgrades like this so it becomes easier to crack. does anyone think that will work? i doubt it, but worth a try.

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
Tyler, the customer does not pay for open source software. (The central committee usually gets funded by various donations, e.g. hardware manufacturers). The software/bin can be compiled for ANY receiver. Then, it's just a hardware market - Pansat vs C00lsat vs Viewsat, etc - as they can all run the same bin they will compete by making better, inexpensive hardware.

Bronze Member
Username: Indigo_man

Post Number: 25
The voice this is for you
-------------------------------------------------
Pansat 2500/2700 and ALL their clones are door stoppers now..will still be awhile for a fix...BL just flew back to Germany to test a NEW hack system
this is what you said in this thread... and this is what u said in an anotherone....

and older pansats will be OK ...BL is NOT in Germany or talking to Viewsat either!

so what do u mean to say???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1197
Ok, cool. Thanks for explaining that Jason.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
AS you know all FTA are doorstoppers now regarding DN and soon to be Bev...also the posts were made during different times when different info was being released..I beleive Pansat FINALLY made Blacklist come out and give an update...he had not done so ONCE throughout this entire ECM...it was always TDG and an unknown allegedly at Pansat!

I beleive what Blacklist himself posted, but he should have been posting earlier to stop the mass hysteria and rumors...consumers deserve HONEST updates from Blacklist himself..

tyler ...EMU is copying the cam and eeprom which EVERY legit card has..and there are millions!...every FTA wouldn't have the same bin...it would be like DTV days, when people share their cam ID's and sub bins or post them at private sites...it took DTV an average 60-90 days after U cancelled your sub,before the camID was Blacklisted (745)...and some camID's NEVER got blacklisted after being cancelled..But ONCE a good sub camID bin was made public, it was Blacklisted within 1 day by the people that monitor all the Dss sites!....and public sites were the kiss of death for files and useless, except for Forums info and troubleshooting....thats why I beleive private sites will be the thing of the future again, like the DTV days..

yes people trade sub bins, cancel sub bins,steal sub bins from buds, scam sub bins, and make own sub bins with a patch if U had main pieces...so there would be many available (not just 1 bin) to emu..

Bronze Member
Username: Haxit

Post Number: 28
thanks guys

Bronze Member
Username: Creek

Smithtown, New York

Post Number: 25
Quote:
"Tyler, necessity is the mother of invention. When the day comes when FTA is screwed, I'm sure something else will come along."

I agree!
New York cable service provider (Cablenision and Time Warper) shifted their systems to allow for digital broadcasts, which operate on a different frequency from analog. That change was predicted, and took place slowly for over a year.
It made all our New York area universal boxes and cablebox descramblers useless. A loss of millions of dollars to that market.

Since there's no fix for digital boxes yet, NY consumers are researching and buying the next alternative: FTA. That's why there is a huge amount of FTA newbies everywhere.
The millions $ are now shifting to Viewat, Coolat and Panat.
Nish Detwork and others know what's going on.
Something big will happen soon.

Bronze Member
Username: Tadon

Dover, NJ Usa

Post Number: 86
" ... as they can all run the same bin they will compete by making better, inexpensive
hardware. .."

Lets see subject with other side ! (same with Tyler "... in a collection group ..."

If (Pan, Co*l., View., ...) all companies
can use the same bin, so market of "software/Bin" will become a monopoly . Then cost will be increased for users . Cost is not increased from hardware side but is increased from "software/Bin" side . So Users must pay more and more for their receivers !

If open source, many people outside can help ..
"all work together" . But I dont think this idea will work because of DN or DTV do not want . This is a game .

[Lets think, if DN go to bankrupt, fta will be no more . why ? if DN want still on business then will put more money in then new law will be come out so, FTA will be end. OR (now)look like If I let you steal mine little, but you must spend your time to work on (I can make money during this time) then is OK , both are balance . This is a game . ]

So company who makes receivers, if have good support(codec-team) will have more users , This is competitive and challenging which should have in a game . my 1 ceent though .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us