Samsung HLN5065W - Vertical lines on Screen

Username: Rjash10

Post Number: 1
I have a 2 yr olf Samsung HLN5065W rear projection DLP TV, whihc was working fine up until about 3 days ago. While watching, the screen flickered and about 10 sets of 1/8" vertical black lines, in groups of 8, appeared acros the screen. They flickered on and off, went away, then came back permenantly. After trying all of the Samsung Tech advice, nothing worked, (unplug, move other electronics away, disconnect everything except for 1 incoming signal, etc.). The lines stayed regardless of input, Cable, DVD, VHS, etc. Then, after a day they mysteriously disappeared. Then after a third day, they came back. When they appear, it also seems the picture is a bit "concave at both sides when not viewing in HD. Can anyone explain this or direct me to the cause?

Post Number: 2
For anyone who may have been suffering the same problem, after a massive run around with Samsing, I finally got a tech on the phone who said this is probably a failed DMD chip, would cost about $800 to replace, and there is no factory recall. WARNINGt o all of you folks out there, my friend had different problems, same model TV, same diagnosis. Don't buy SAMSUNG, and certainly buy the extended warranty. Furthermore, if I replace the $800 chip, it will only be warrantied for 90 days.

Post Number: 3
it's back....

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 633
Sure it's not a jail scene?
I know..not funny.

Have you removed the back of the set and cleaned the fans every 6 months. It is a projector that depends on two computer fans to keep the lamp and the DMD control module within proper temperature limits. If those fans get dirty and slow down or stop, bad things happen. All it takes is a screwdriver and the brushy atttachment to your vac hose. Hope it's not too late for yours.

I have a 5 year extended warranty on my Sammy DLP.
You didn't even get a 3 year? Why?
All micro-display projection technology is too new to avoid insurance.
Oh well...you saved a few bucks on the gamble! Craps! Damn the luck!

Sammy makes a great HD DLP at a reasonable price. Your advice not to buy Samsung is bogus.

Username: Planeracer

Post Number: 4
Bob Ashton,

Yup, you have a bad dmd module and it cost around $750-$800. Too bad.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for your help. It went away again - seems to turn up every 2 weeks or so. I ordered the service manual and plan to take the advice to clean all the fans, check for loose connections, bad solder joints, etc. Hopefully it will fall into one of these catagories.

I appreciate the input, but don't agree re: the extended warranty and Samsung being a good buy.

I am of the opinion, new tech or not, something which costs $4000 should last without needing addtional expenses, have easily replaceable, low cost consumable parts, and good techinical support. I was very dissapointed in the Samsung service assistance. I needed to make repeat calls, demand to speak to higher levels of technical skills, and was ultimately left with the flat answer of "replace the DMD". No one has yet told me how or why the TV works most all of the time, with a few hour increments of these lines showing up - I mean a clear, technical response explanation for how and why it's happening. "Fyi" came the closest, which was possibly overheating due to fan sluggishness or failure. I own a $45,000 car, which is infinitely more complex, has more moving and electronic parts than a projection TV, and get better aadvice and diagnostics from my garage mechanic, (who might add is highly skilled).

I am still seeking a reasonable explanation of what is happening and why...

Username: Planeracer

Post Number: 7
Happend, because a bad soldering connections in that module. Lines will come on and off. Probably 1 day will stay on. For last 2-3 years im seen that only on hlm and hln series. Probably
happens on other models. but, i never seen that.
Is not that hard to replace that module. You have to remove 2 screws from left side and 1 screw from bottom righ side of module and 4 of them
from around dlp unit unpulag all cables ( i think
3 cables ) that it. Same way install new one in.
but you will need to adjust a module position to get picture to fill whole screen.
If you need a exploded view schematics i can send to you with e-mail. all detailed pictures

Username: Perdido

My Samsung DLP freezes the image or shuts off any suggestions?

Username: Snowbrdr1973

I am having a similar problem with my HLN5065W DLP. At few days ago the TV would turn on normally, stay on for about 30 minutes and then shut off automatically. After about 30 seconds the green lines would appear on the screen. Then if I turned the TV off, waited a few minutes, turned the TV back on, it would do the same thing after about 20-30 minutes. This happened about a year ago, but it stopped all by itself and hasn't happened since, until now. Now, if I turn on the TV, it comes on for about 1-2 minutes and turns off automatically and all 3 LED lights blink. At first we thought the TV was overheating since it would cut off after 30 minutes, but now it only comes on for 1-2 minutes, not even enough time to get hot. Then we thought it was the lamp, because all 3 LED lights were blinking, but when I spoke with Samsung, they didn't think that was it, and just told me to have it serviced. Well, this TV is not under warranty anymore so I'm looking for the most inexpensive way to fix the problem. Any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 641
Start by cleaning and checking the fans. When the back is off there is a safety switch that has to be taped in order to power the set and check the fan operation. If you need parts:
www.samsungparts.com

Beyond that, there was a guy selling DMD boards on ebay.

Username: Maungk

I've been enjoying HLN437W DLP for two years and two weeks now. My usage is very minimum, under 8 hr/wk. I can not turn on the TV anymore. No light and power to the TV. Unfortunately, I don't have extended warranty. I googled the problem and found out I'm not the only one. My advice, buy extended warranty, these new TV's are not like tube TV's we used to own and last for decades.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us