Need help with ProScan TV

Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through October 03, 2005Joe Sange100

Joe Sange
Unregistered guest
I have an 8 yr old Proscan rear-projection TV, model # 50670LGI. I have only had one other problem with it since new (6th year) which was fixed under the extended warranty I had ourchased. All things considered, I feel that it has been a very good set that required very little adjustment over the years.

My current problem is that the remote (with new Batts)is unable to turn the set ON (or OFF once it is manually set to ON). However, if I turn my VCR (also Proscan)on and press the VCR button on the remote, I can control the TV via the VCR. Then, if I turn the VCR OFF, I still keep my picture but have no control using the remote I.E can't change channels or adjust volumn. Has anyone experienced this problem and been able to resolve it??? Hoping you can help.
PS. One of the attractions for this set is that the works are in a removable draw (bottom) and repairmen who can't fix it on site can move it without too much difficulty.

Unregistered guest
Hi there. I have a Proscan and was wandering if anyone ever experienced the television picture looking green. It goes from normal to green and each day it is getting a little more frequent in the amount of time it takes to go green. My husband can smack the side of the tv and it will go normal for a few minutes and then changes again. Does anyone know what this could mean or do I need to get a new tv. I believe the tv is about 5-8 years old. Please email me at monarch444@yahoo.com if you have any clue what we need to do to rectify the problem. Thanks

Jimbo1
Unregistered guest
I have a ProScan 32 in TV that will not turn on. I tried unpluging and letting it sit for a while and let it reset. When I plug it back in it clicks three times when I try to power it up. I bought the TV in 1998 and would like to avoid having to purchase another TV.

LARDOG
Unregistered guest
yo anonymous. et'all

my PS36190 [bought in 8/97, not used till 6/98 due to remodel] just started the same thing.
power button clicks 3-4 times and nothing
Thompson said nothing but the TV was out of warranty.. and hold for a list of certified repair centers.....MY THEY BURN IN HELL.
BOUGHT 36' FLAT TOSHIBA...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

lardog
Unregistered guest
To all of you here!

follow my lead, Since Monday 10/3/05 I've been hitting the bestbuys, CC's etc...checking TV's and striking up conversations with others looking for TV's I'm very happy to report that I know for certain I have discouraged 15 buyers away from Proscan.RCA ...I was at a sears last night and scored 3 more finally they asked me to leave...
lets stick it to em..word of mouth kills!

rednarts
Unregistered guest
I have a PROSCAN PS31108 that I purchased new in 1995. Yesterday (Oct 7, 1995) it would not come on. I unplugged it for several minutes; I've changed outlets; I've tried the remote with new batteries, and I still do not get power to come on. Is it worth repairing or would it be more cost effective to purchase a new TV?

CynthiaP
Unregistered guest
OK - so why was my post removed??? AGAIN, I have a PS60690 (60") Proscan that got no picture a couple to 3 years back. It was the POWER SUPPLY. The chassis was removed, the power supply replaced and it's been OK since.

Unregistered guest
Hi my name is Michael and I'm a technician from Australia I have a customer who brought back from America A proscan 80 inch TV model No PS80690
I DESPRATLEY NEED a service mode access code for it. Please some one HELP

Unregistered guest
ok, a tech said its probably my PS. So How close do you get to the charged area if you want to swap out the PS yourself? To dangerous to try? If not I was at a part web-page and I could not find anything that said powersupply what do the l33t people at proscan call a PS? Thanks for all your help guys.

KRJB
Unregistered guest
I have a model F38310yx5 this HD tv was manufactured April 2002. The power supply
failed 2 months ago and was having issues with not turning on 8 months ago. Now the yoke on the picture tube went bad, it actually was burning. Thompson told my service repair center that it will cost me $1,400.00 for the yoke because they will not sell that part separate, they want me to buy a new picture tube.

Unregistered guest
I have a 1999 36" Proscan tube type TV. Every so often, the screen turns to snow and a loud garbled hiss comes out of the speakers. If you hit the upeer left hand corner 1 or 2 times the picture & sound clears up. Anyone else had this problem?

Unregistered guest
I have an RCA 25" 57 45920 tv that I purchased in 2000. Got notice of the class action suit, but nothing had happened to my tv at that point. Well yesterday my tv turned itself off and when I turned it back on no volume. Slowly the sound came but but kept getting louder and louder with no volume control. Makes a buzzing sound when muted.

Anonymous

i have an 82" proscan t.v. resently it has been turning on and off...i have tried many things but unfortunately i am not aware of many things when it comes to fixing a t.v....i got it 6 years ago and i do not have warrenty because the place where i bought it from explained to me that my tv will last forever...i guess not...can someone help me!!!

Anonymous

i have an 82" proscan t.v. resently it has been turning on and off...i have tried many things but unfortunately i am not aware of many things when it comes to fixing a t.v....i got it 6 years ago and i do not have warrenty because the place where i bought it from explained to me that my tv will last forever...i guess not...can someone help me!!!

Unregistered guest
obviously by the looks of everyones problems in relation to my own problem w/ a proscan, these tvs SUCK.(do they not?) they don't make anything like they used to.

Unregistered guest
I HAVE A 36" PROSCAN TV AND IT GOES OUT EVERY HALF HOUR I DO HAVE SOUND BUT NO PICTURE.CAN SOMEONE HELP ME.

Username: Kaw44

Raleigh, North Carolina USA

Post Number: 2
I have a 27" Proscan TV Model # ps27123I bought it in 1996 and it has lasted 9 Years. When the power went out I checked the fuse and replaced it but as soon as I did it keep blowing the fuses. Does any one have this problem or know what the problem might be.

Unregistered guest
I bought my PS52652 used for $200. I've used it non-stop for a year. It had been in storage for a couple of years when I bought it.

My problem: my wife pushed the power button yesterday morning and instead of the nice crisp picture, she got a loud POP followed by total loss of power to the TV. It doesn't beep, or make any noise for that matter. Just won't come one at all. I've tested outlets, power cords, etc.

Is this a power supply issue? Maybe a blown fuse?
Can anybody tell me what the fuses look like and where they are located?

I've taken the panels off the back and am ready to start ripping into this thing.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!

Anonymous

Where is this fuse that people talk about. Do you have to open up the back of the TV? Over by the power outlet there is a screw and a pannel is it there?

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 30
Sorry to say but televisions produced by Thomson electronics are some very unreliable sets you can find, which is what RCA, ProScan, and GE sets are.

Now, there will be some examples that are running just fine, but there are many that do not. It also doesn't help that Thomson doesn't keep a lot of parts for older models in stock.

One problem is actually quite common in the CTC-169 chassis, which is a chassis that's been used in a lot of different televisions from direct view CRTs to rear-projection sets. The main microprocessor does not have good shielding to protect it from being popped. When this microprocessor gets zapped for any reason, the set is dead. To make it worse, depending on the model, the CPU also has a built-in EEPROM with programming specific to the model that was built for it, so you can't take a CPU from one CTC-169 TV and expect it to work in another CTC-169 set unless they are the exact same model. And, of course, if the model is a couple of years old or so, the microprocessor specific for the model will no longer be available since Thomson has a nasty habit of abandoning parts support for their older products.

Another problem that has been around several different CTC models from the mid 1990s up until a couple of years after 2001 is the inline tuner module. The ground shielding for the tuner module is soldered into place on the mainboard. The problem here is that this soldering is known to crack after a number of years, which causes all sorts of crazy problems, from a jumpy picture to a picture that goes snowy at random and even the cause of peculiar malfunctions like the set turning off or on by itself at random moments. If not corrected, this problem will permanently damage the EEPROM and cause the set not to function at all. The fix is to redo the soldering of the ground shield entirely. But, this is no guarantee that the problem won't happen again.

In general, I'd stay away from RCA and GE sets in the future (ProScan is no longer made) if you're shopping for a new set. Definitely keep away if the set is used!

I've heard salesmen joke about RCA, including what it stands for: "Return Coming At'cha"

I'd go with Sony, JVC, Sharp, or higher end Toshiba televisions (lower end Toshiba sets seem to be OEMed by Orion).

As for me, I prefer Sony. - Reinhart

Username: Mg33

Post Number: 1
I have an older Proscan TV. I've had trouble changing the channel on the TV so I can go back and forth from regular TV to DVD. First I couldn't change channel on TV unit, now I can't on the remote. So right now it's functioning only as a DVD screen. Any advice?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
This may sound like a silly question, but are the batteries in the remote still good?

Another thing you could try is to clear the SYSCON bus by unplugging the set for about 15 minutes. Sometimes, the SYSCON can get corrupt data in memory which may have to be cleared out from time to time. This happens when, for instance, the TV gets hit with a power surge. - Reinhart

Anonymous

I have a Proscan PS31108 and my kid started pushing buttons when i was not around and now all i have is a static screen. i have been thru the menu and cannot get the TV pic back. Any advice to get my pic back. Thanks

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Sounds like the freeze button is set, but that should clear with an off/on cycle. Try pulling the power plug for a few minutes and then plug it back in.

Unregistered guest
just can see 1 inch in the middle
if i kick the tv go open view and a little while
the imagen goes and again i just see one inch in the middle

mhs
Unregistered guest
I have a proscan ps32600. I had previously used this tv with cable but I recently moved and am currently attempting to use this TV with only an antenna. I set the channel up to receive the antenna but the picture remains fuzzy...does anyone know how I can set up this TV to work without cable on the regular network channels?

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
"I have a proscan ps32600. I had previously used this tv with cable but I recently moved and am currently attempting to use this TV with only an antenna. I set the channel up to receive the antenna but the picture remains fuzzy...does anyone know how I can set up this TV to work without cable on the regular network channels?"

It may be possible that the VHF/UHF signal strength from your television stations may not be very strong at your location. You may have to deal with it or get cable/satellite service. - Reinhart

Unregistered guest
I need a parts list giving RCA part numbers for a Proscan PS35682 (CTC170RA chassis).

RK in LV
Unregistered guest
I have a Proscan 52" TV, there is a intermittent problem where the picture shows horizontally then after a few minutes it clears, does anyone know what causes this to happen. It is becoming more frequent ..... help

Unregistered guest
I have a ProScan Model: PS27125, Service# PS27125FE1, Serial # 737511554, Chassis # CTC197BB. On the Matherboard 2 Resistors are burned out: R14110 and R14305, they are approx.
2Watts each but I can't read Resistance, so I am searching for diagram and part list to find out what is in the circuit and why they are burned out...........please help

robertlp2
Unregistered guest
I must be one of the few that have ended up with a good set.I bought a Proscan 27" in '95 and love it.I have never had any problems,color is fine,no problems with the electronics.As a matter of fact I'm looking for another one.I do need a new remote for the one I have,mine got burned up in a fire.

Username: Jdman

I have ProScan model ps3515_ not sure if there is
a next number must of hit the door on way in.
chase ctc169bj5 tag in tv said 93. has that 1 inch in middle of screen thing. cleaned all the
dust out tryed to find bad cap no go. not sure
witch brd to look on i think its on the main brd
but i don't know how to slide it out to see the bottom please help me talked to repair man told me 125 to fix i don't won't to pay for 10 sec with soldering iron thank you

Unregistered guest
I HAVE A PROSCAN 27108 AND YOU COULD ONLY HEAR THE SOUND BUT CANT SEE ANYTHING AND WHEN YOU GO TO THE MENU IT WORKS. ANY SUGGESTIONS

Unregistered guest
I HAVE A PROSCAN 27108 AND YOU COULD ONLY HEAR THE SOUND BUT CANT SEE ANYTHING AND WHEN YOU GO TO THE MENU IT WORKS. ANY SUGGESTIONS

Unregistered guest
I have a similar problem reported previously by Joe Sange - my Proscan TV can't be operated via the remote control. Luckily the channel/volume buttons on the TV still works.

I know the controller is fine because it still controls my proscan dvd and it works with a different Proscan TV that I have in another room.

Any suggestions??

Unregistered guest
I'm looking for a copy of an Owners Manual for a PROSCAN model PS31151 made in Oct 82.
Can anyone help me?
Bill in KY

Username: Jeff112077

I have a ProScan Television Model PS32130A. I just bought some surround speakers...(2 front, 2 rear and a subwoofer). When I watch a movie, there is no "Center Channel Sound"....There is a switch on the back of the TV that says "Int" and "Ext"....When I change it to "Int", only the TV and subwoofer emit sound. When I choose "Ext", the surround sound works, but not the TV sound (Center)....There is no actual "Center" connection like for the surround (which are speaker wires....The subwoofer has RCA's and above it is anotherRCA output that says "Fixed Output"....I can't figure out how to make a center channel available...Would it be on an RCA like the subwoofer or does the TV itself actually perform that function somehow? Please help...!
You can email me at jeff112077@aol.com

Unregistered guest
proscan 27" model PS27500, purchased 1999 ...
during the recent cold spell, overloaded electric with space heaters, etc - house fuses blew, restored via circuit breaker - happened 2-3 times, the last time TV shut off as well - refuses to come back on - tried to unplug for 8-9 min, as suggested above, no effect - also, the TVs on/off button doesnt go "click" like before - so dead as a doornail - any tips? know any repair person/s in queens ny? (prefer long isl city or astoria) - thanx

Unregistered guest
I dropped my proscan remote on the floor and now it's not working. Tried changing the battery and it's still dead as a doornail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Joe Sange
Unregistered guest
to Dave Brault:
re: Joe Sange post:
I suspect the infra red sensor on the set is defective. I will be getting my set checked out very soon and will let you know if that fixes the problem or whatever it turns out to be.

Joe Sange
Unregistered guest
to: J.J. Mintz:
reur post on defective remote after dropping it:
Please check reply on subject from Anonymus on Sep. 17,'05 wherein he said that he had to resolder the LED (light emitting diode)in the remote after having dropped his.

Peepster
Unregistered guest
I have a Proscan rear projection 60" model that just decided to do two things. First, when i attempted to increase the volume, it went to full audio output. I turned it off and when I tried to restart, it is dead in all input modes.
Any ideas

Username: Chefjbb

Greenacres, Florida

I forgot to mention that first a few days ago I had no signal for some of the hd channels and I called and she sent a message to the tv from the office whatever that means and the channels came back but there was no message box this time I called her thinking it was the same thing because I still have 4 of the 12 hd channels but it didnt work someone is coming today sometime to switch out the card but I am waiting for them to tell me to call sony again any advice would be appreciated

Unregistered guest
We have a Proscan the the volume keeps going out. If I unplug the TV it comes back on. Today, it the volume would keep going out after about 20 minutes. I know that they had a suit a few years back for this reason, but since we were not having any problems, I ingored it. Any suggestions:

Unregistered guest
I have a 35" proscan i bought new in 95. no prblems until a few weeks ago. i have a 1/4 inch line in the middle of the screen running from top to bottom. tried unplugging and cleaning and nothing helps. any ideas on what it may be???

Laina
Unregistered guest
Hi there! We have a 2000 36" ProScan PS32500 and recently also had all audio go out. It is just fuzz. On certain channels it will say it is stuck in SAP mode??? However, there is full volume when playing a DVD.
After unplugging the unit and repowering, all audio comes back but goes out again after an hour or so....any suggestions? This is driving us crazy! :-)

Tara
Unregistered guest
Problem with a 52" proscan TV, I think the model is 5262 something or other, not sure because we inheritated it from someone.

Okay so for the past couple of days it has been doing this weird thing where we get a line through the screen just randomly, I was told this isnt a problem it could just be a lose cable connection so we ignored it, well we went to turn on the TV today and now we don't have any sound, instead we have a loud fuzzy noise that starts loud and fades out every few minutes, but thats it for sound! The picture works fine but the sound is gone!

HELP

ADP02
Unregistered guest
I also have a 52" Proscan Rear-Projection TV.

TV will not go "on" anymore. I hear a clicking sound coming from the back that sounds like a clock ticking.

Any one get this or know what this is? Expensive?

Unregistered guest
Help: ProScan ps35123 or 125 cant read it..screen is black all set-up screens work fine no picure and no sound can some one help me with possibles or how to test it??

Unregistered guest
I had the clicking problem too. 5 Minutes ago i cracked open the back of the TV and the "clicking" was the flyback output arcing to another circuit board apparently the insulation failed. Moving it away works, but i am going to patch the insulation with high voltage electrical tape(and use a LOT). This solved my problem and it worked like a charm.

Username: Jsdoob

Saline, Mi Usa

i have a proscan ps12752 model. how do i find an owner's manual for it. thank you.

joe s

joelmc
Unregistered guest
had the same problem with the clicking on a 35 in proscan manf. in march 1996... it wasnt the flyback transformer itself (it was in a insulated plastic case) but the cable out was arcing... apearantly the boards move and vibrate and in some cases the mag field of the transformer inteferes with other circuits. also, although hard to believe, if left on for extended periods(days) and the tv is dirty the dust will cause a temperary arc and/or overheating, thus swithching the tv into safety mode, this perticular tv was runnin about 40,000 plus volts. clean old tv and makes sure capacitors are dischared completely b4 cleaning and tampering with wires or boards.. good luck my eamail is lenox69@hotmail.com any ???s dont let servicemen jerk you around. p.s. i left the tv unplugged for a week b4 even taking back of to discharge and to let the ground safty circuit reset, but works like a charm. good luck.

Unregistered guest
my mom has a proscan tv and is hard of hearing, she relies heavily on the closed captioning to listen to shows with all the loud kids in the house (2 to 8 years old four of them all day!) and the closed captions have stopped working, i checked the settings and it is all turned on, any suggestions??? please e-mail me, thank you

Mary in Boston
Unregistered guest
help - I have a proscan television that is now showing everything in wide and there are things on the screen that you can not see because they are over the right or left of the picture and since wide - off of the television - any ideas how to fix this?

Unregistered guest
Please Help Me?!, The Guide Plus on my 1998 Proscan TV is malfunctioning. I have tried everything. I unplugged it, I've went through the whole set-up three times, no luck. I even had Comcast cable come out and check everything. They said the cable signal is strong but did mention that they changed broadcasting frequency. Could this have anything to do with it? Please help!

Unregistered guest
OK, so is there a clear answer to the whole "TV won't pwr on, just clicks a few times" problem, or is it just to leave the thing unplugged a few minutes, hours, or days? I have a vintage '96 ProScan PS35660 that started this same trick yesterday. Bought it new, and never had a problem until now. I have looked thru this whole message board for an answer, and all I have found were more (dozens) of the same question of how to fix the power off/on/clicking problem. If anyone knows of a fix, besides buying a new TV, please let me know. My email is jdnoonan@comast.net. Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a 36" proscan. Last night when it was turned off, it made a loud crack sound. now a high pitched wizzing sound can be heard from back is set if it is left plugged in. Anyone heard of this one? Thanks Steve

Username: Dld

I have seen a few messages regarding the ProScan 36" TV when it just refuses to turn on again. I have not seen any solutions, if there are any.

My ProScan 36" just recently refused to turn on, it clicks a few times but nothing. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution, or does it now belong on the junk heap?

I took the back cover off, and the incoming power fuse if okay.
Thanks for any help

Username: Vernberg

I just purchased a 36" Proscan monitor and cannot find the power cord. Will a standard PC/Printer power cord work? Thank You for the information.

Username: Missyl_15

Calgary, Ab

I have a proscan television it is not that old and for some reason one morning when i woke up there was no picture but the night before there was. I can still get my menu guide and sound but no picture for dvd x-box or cable. help!!!

Username: Jgp1205

Annapolis, Maryland

My 36 inch proscan television suddenly can't be controlled by remote anymore. Changing batteries and trying to use other universal remote controls has not worked either. Any info. regarding this problem would be great. Thanks. jgp1205@yahoo.com

Username: Hossenlopp

My Proscan wouldn't power up. So I tried unplugging it and waiting a minute, twice, with no luck. Then I hit it on the top, and guess what? That worked!

Username: Idonotes

My Proscan 36" (PS32500) had been getting fuzzy (not snow but a weird buzzing) then tonight went off and started beeping. Unplugged and waited but when plugged in starts beeping. No pic, no sound, no other power

Username: Gilesq_lynn

Virginia beach, VA United States

MY 36" proscan <model> went through a couple years period of frequently turning OFF (and then coming back on). Sometimes it would do this several times in a row.
Humidity made it worse, so running AC (or putting a small fan right behind it) seemed to stop the shutting off problem.
Then it didn't do it (cutting off) at all for 6-12 months.
Recently it started up again, and got worse and worse. Finally, it STOPPED / went dead.. right after it refused to start up..(BUT MADE LOUD CLICKING NOISES REPEATEDLY from low in the set)for a half minute.
A repairman came out and took the innards.. he has been unable to diagnose it, but found everything pretty much to be working.. except for the power going off (CLICKING!)
He feels it is one of the two transformers on it, but the one that seems to be the problem, he says is no longer made.
Any suggestions, besides putting it out along the side of the road?
giles
gilesq_lynn@yahoo.com

Username: Bailey

Does anyone know what I can do to receive volume on my proscan? The picture comes in but I can't receive any volume, what can I do? Thank you!

Username: Mikelem

I recently acquired a ProScan PS34190 but it's stuck in 4:3. Does anyone know how to get it to display 16:9 without the remote (which was not included)? I've only got a very basic RCA remote with which I can access on screen menus but nothing points to 16:9, unless it's called Theater Mode. But that doesn't quite do it.
Any thoughts?

Username: Szukibabe

I have a PS27108 that works great. I have the manual and remote that i will be selling with the TV on ebay or at a garage sale.
I will make a pdf copy of the manual if anyone ever needs a copy. Just email me.

pattilg@optonline.net

Username: Anilwanted

Post Number: 3
HI,

Can anyone tell me where can i get a user's guide/manual for a pROSCAN TV PS27108.

Atleast someone help me by telling me how to switch to DVD/VCR mode without using the remote(i do not have one)

Thanks in Advance,
Anil

Username: Kitty

Hampton, Va. Usa

my pro scan TV keep cutting off then come back on sometime it cut off and i have to cut it back on help! help! help!

Username: Szukibabe

Anil,

I hope u received my email with the PDF copy of the manual....

Hope it helps

Username: Anilwanted

Post Number: 4
Szuki Babe

I did not get it.
Kindly mail it to anilwanted@yahoo.com.

Thanks in Advance,
Anil

Username: Piper

i have a 36" rca pro scan. all of a sudden when i plug it in to the wall outlet, it just starts giving a beep sound from inside and the tv won't turn on. any ideas please?

Hampton, Va. Usa

robert quinlan
try changing plug and push in the reset buttom in the back

Username: Accious

o kay everybody...i agreee with post dated march 25, 2006 for the tv power not coming on...like everybody else who has a vintage 1995 proscan or rca product and the power no longer works...i experience the exact same thing, called proscan's 800# and they only told me the same as the troubleshooting section in the manual (i still have as the original owner), called the local authorized serviceman and he told me same as the proscan person and it's an $80 service visit...he told me to unplug it for more than an hour. i did that for "several hours" then found this site thank GOD! bang the hell out of it unplugged from the tv and wall...plug in & turn on...i had to do this twice but it worked and i'm a petite lady...needless to say i called my hubby w/the good news and i've won some good points! good luck to you guys...i haven't turned it off yet...don't wanna press my good fortune too soon...i can be contacted at waywes1@aol.com.

Hampton, Va. Usa

need manual for proscan 80 series please help
kspady@cox.net

no power...this is my follow up...for those who have trashed their set beacuse of no power will regret it when u read the following...this is a follow up from my post dated june 15th...the next morning we turned the tv on and had a burning smell. unplugged from tv and wall and didn't touch anything for 10 hours. took the back panel of the tv off...checked behind where the tv is plugged and found a blown fuse...the smell was from the blown fuse...took the fuse to radio shack, they confirmed fuses let off that smell when they blow sometimes and we let them find the right fuse for us. came home and replaced and the tv has worked fine since. i wanted to give it a couple of days to make sure that was it b4 posting my findings...and lo and behold that really was just it!!! a little pkg of $2 fuses. hope this helps you guys...feel free to email me at waywes1@aol.com and subject proscan!

Username: Someone_you_dont_know

Calgary, Alberta Canada

i have a proscan t.v vcr everytime i try scan the channels it says no channels have been placed in the channel list but when i try that on a different t.v it works so... I'm not sure
what to do its a 1998 t.v but i know that i do have cable so what should i do?

Username: Oncotime

I have a 1994 proscan tv model ps52682 that suddenly stopped working. There was an audible ticking sound like a clock in the back. I unplugged it several times to no avail. Tried to tap on the component that was nearest to the ticking, no help. Is it worth getting this fixed? The ticking came from the deflection circuit board area, possibly the HV transformer. There is a red power wire going into this component, part number T4400 or T400. Any helpful suggestions or an 800 number please email me at wtrapp2@wi.rr.com Thankyou

for bill trapp...read my posts dated june 15th & 20th...freda merriman

Username: Dshimizu

Proscan ps52682 - Same problem as Bill Trapp

Anyone have an answer to this problem? Yesterday I was watching our ps52682, the screen went "poof" then no picture. For several months the remote didn't seem to work turning the TV on but worked OK to turn the TV off. The ticking sound was identical to Bill's sound coming from the back. My husband checked for blown fuses but didn't see any. The troubleshooting section of the manual doesn't help...hmmm, now what?

Username: Cholla

In order to use an after market remote to watch dvds, I need to tune my tv to its "Video Input 1 channel". Does anyone know how I do this? I do not have an instruction manual. Proscan model number P827108.

Username: Cholla

I am resubmitting my previous message. I gave the wrong model number. The correct model number is PS27108. Oops. I hope some one can help me. Thanx.

In order to use an after market remote to watch dvds, I need to tune my tv to its "Video Input 1 channel". Does anyone know how I do this? I do not have an instruction manual. Proscan model number PS27108.

Username: Adp

Montreal

Deb Shimizu,

The problem is the High Voltage Splitter. I have the same TV and same problem. I contacted Bill, and he has the same diagnosis. If you want to fix it yourself, there is a link somewhere around this forum that will show you what is a HV splitter and how to get to it on your TV and the steps.

I had someone give me a "free" estimate. He kind of pulled a fast one and went ahead and fixed it BEFORE giving me the estimate.

Username: Adp

Montreal

Ok, I found the post and the link. Its not exactly the same TV as mine but I am sure this would help anyone thinking of doing it themselves. PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND CAUTIOUS!!!

I have a ProScan PS52690 52" projection TV (CTC188 series) that won't power up. From what I have read here and other places, the most common cause of this is the HV splitter. Actually, when the unit was 3 years old, the HV splitter went out and had to be replaced but it was under warranty at the time. I have found that the part I need is 205064 and runs around $40-$70. It is not worth it to me to have a repairman charge me $300+ to fix it. I want to do it myself but would like a little more information.

A post in another thread said that you could test to see if the HV splitter is really the problem by disconnecting the HV anode (big red wire) from the flyback (not the splitter since that will arc), plug the TV in, power it up, and if the power stays on and you hear sound, replace the HV splitter to fix the problem.

I will post everything I do and the final result to my web site when I finish this project. Thanks for any help.

Username: Dshimizu

Thanks Angelo + Bill!! My husband couldn't wait for the results of my research and bought a new 57" CRT Sony for $1000. CDN The nuts of it is that he really isn't a handyman although the instructions for the fix look fairly easy. Oh well, hopefully this info. will persuade someone to take the huge cabinet away. We live in Vancouver if anyone is interested.

Username: Whereisthecapslock

Did you ever figure out what the problem was - mine did the same?

Username: Whereisthecapslock

Mike Im Bummin - did you ever find out (or anyone) for that matter what the problem was? Our ProScan lost picture quality before our eyes. It went brighter and has a dozen or so not quite horizontal white lines running through the picture. Anyone?

Username: Hossenlopp

I have a proscan, and it will just shut off all of the sudden. Sometimes it will not turn back on. I actually hit the top of the TV, and that worked, it went back on. I've had to do that a couple times. Well, it worked for me!

Username: Actpac

I have a 60 inch rear projector tv now for 8 years. The hydro went out today. When it came back on it went into Guide Plus Demo mode. It requests that I remove the demo pins. Where are they. Why aftert 8 years. Any suggestions as Guide plus logo stays on the tv.

Username: Whope

Oroville, CA USA

I have a 36" Proscan that is almost 9 years old. It was working fine and then I cound it snapping (I could tell it was electrical), didn't smell anything after 5 to 10 minites of this I did smell it and all power to the tv went off. Now I can turn it on and the sound comes on for a second and then the power cuts off (don't know If the picture would come on or not)

Username: Kkarol8

I HAVE A PROSCAN PS32125. LAST NIGHT IT STARTED MAKING THE CLICKING NOISE. TODAY IT FIRST DID SOME CLICKING AND THEN STARTED BEEPING AND SHUT OFF. I UNPLUGGED IT. PLUGGED IT BACK IN AND IT STILL BEEPS. I HAVE IT UNPLUGGED NOW. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ANSWERS OF SUGGESTIONS ABOUT WHAT I MIGHT TRY TO DO MYSELF. PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Username: Fred_k

I have a 36" Proscan with what I believe is a bad flyback. I have a part number of 237506 but I can't seem to find a genuine RCA repair part. Could anyone point me in the direction of a reputable dealer?

Username: Rvw

My proscan tv is powering off & on whenever input is plugged in, both cable tv & dvd player. Both inputs doing same thing. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Username: Misbxn

Just given a ProScan 27inch TV - model #PS27108 - but I have no remote!!! How/what do I do to get it to recognize my DVD player/PS2 ? I see there is no "input" channel, and I have tried the rest. Must I have a remote? Any help? Much appreciated.

Username: Smartpants

I have a proscan PS20111 I don't know how to hook up the dvd player. I have tried everything does anyone know how to get this thing connected and get a picture? Or does anyone have a manual?

Username: Sssiewak

http://www.rca.com/documents/15184830_Rev_1_201062_25.pdf
manual for proscan ps27125. I also found alot of old references at http://www.rca-electronics.com/public/ this one was very cool it was a lot of old manuals!!! check it out

Username: Ptharp

I just received a Proscan Tv 36 inch. I turned my tv off and went to turn it back on and there was sound but no picture. Any suggestions what is causing this. When it did have a picture the picture was great. Thanks.

Username: Atlantahight

Newnan, GA USA

I have a ProScan, Model PS27122, TV that has slowly died. I am an engineer and believe that I can replace a part if I can find out what is bad. I have already disconnected the power for one hour, then two minutes and reconnected. Still dead. Here are the symptoms the TV had before it completely died:
1. About 20% of the picture had wavey lines.
2. The color was bad around the perimeter of the picture once or twice, but this went away.
3. Once the audio came on but the video did not. Both came on after turning TV off and on again.
4. Turning the power on using two different remotes with new batteries became difficult. Sometimes delay in clicking on.
5. Finally everything died and pressing power button on set had no effect.
Anyone have an idea on part that is bad?

Username: Msib

I have a Proscan PS56700 and last night it just turned off and would not turn back on. Tried and tried and it eventually came on. I found this thread of so many with same problem. It is at least 8 years old. It is on right now, but I have my doubts that it is really OK. I suppose I have to start doing my homework on HDTVs as the local guy said no one locally will work on them and parts are rare. I have been waiting for it to die so I can upgrade :-) I have about 3 remotes if anyone wants them.

Username: Jar

I have a PROSCAN PS36123(JX1) with chassis CTC169EJ5. For the last 2yrs tv would not turn on and after unpluging and pluggin it several times tv will finaly turn onand stay on. I just leave it turned on and leave it turned on on unused input (ch91) when not in use. The only time i have to unplugg/plugg to turn it back on is if power is out.its taking longer and longer to get it back up and running. Picture and sound is very good. What could be the problem?? please help!! Is this costly to repair?? I have purchased the tv new 11yrs ago and this is the only problem I have ever had and to find out whats wrong will cost $80 plus $$$.$$ to repair

Username: Depp_x

I just bought a 19" lcd hdtv proscan tv. Is it just me or is the picture absolutely horribe for watching tv and dvds? I wasn't expectly hdtv quality because I think you have to subscribe to those channels or whatever but c'mon this is worse than my old tv. My xbox 360 plugged in the hdtv outlets looks normal. I guess I'm just confused with the whole "hdtv" thing. It just looks like I'm watching a 25 year old tv. I tried my best with the image settings but everytime I look at the screen I just shake my head and am wondering whether or not to take it back. Seems to me my moms lcd big screen at her house is the same thing. Is there anything I can do to make this picture clearer? Please help. Thanks.

Username: Evo8

hi all, l have a PS27108 with perfect condition...
the only problem is that l only have a simple remote control, which is without the tv/video input...
so how do l play my PS2 on this TV?

thx a lot

Username: Blkjak

Venice, FL United States

hi -
ihave an old rca proscan model ps20111
when changing chanels - chanel *07 has an [*] before chanel number - how do i remove it and what does it mean - thanks, jak . . . .

Username: Muskie

I have a 52" Rear Projection Proscan PS52650 from 1994 with Dolby Surround. There is a loud screeching noice every once in a while from the speakers. The screen is now black, no picture just the sound works. Also some of the functions on the remote do not work. Can anyone out there help?

Username: Landoftherich

I've got a Proscan model PS36610XY1 that I bought way back in 2000. It's been a great set, and I noticed its got a jack for component input. I've got digital cable and can upgrade the cable box for free to an HD box that uses component cables. Think I would get any benefit from that with this TV? I'm sure the sets not HD itself but maybe its capable of progressive scan and 480p. Has anyone else tried this to see if theres an improvement in picture quality?

Username: Evie

Proscan PS36700 38" Tube. Pictures Great. But the Volumne doesn't work (only hisses). Neither the internal speakers, external speakers nor routed speakers from audio outputs to (Sterero/DVD) works. Is this a fuse issue? How/where do I service? And are the parts readily available? How much to Repair? PLEASE HELP!

Username: Evie

1999 Proscan PS36700 38" Tube. Pictures Great. But the Volumne doesn't work (only hisses). Neither the internal speakers, external speakers nor routed speakers from audio outputs to (Sterero/DVD) works. Is this a fuse issue? How/where do I service? And are the parts readily available? How much to Repair? PLEASE HELP!
pius5th@hotmail.com

Username: Stacielea

Dartmouth, Nova scotia Canada

I have a Proscan tv module 15LA12Q. I lost my manual when I moved last year. I was wondering if I can watch tv without having cable hooked up to it and can I still hook up my dvd player to watch movies. I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank you!

Username: Ellenfaith

Glendale, CA USA

Hi,
Sorry, I just realized this thread was closed so I reposted my question https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/581511.html

Thank you,
Ellen

Username: Shar8375

Philadelphia, PA

Wondering if anyone can help me. I have a proscan that has broke. I put it in the shop on April 11th and it still has not been repaired. The shop says Proscan will not send them the part. The number I have for Proscan leads me to a voicemail. I contacted RCA also but only through email because when I call the service number they say no one there can help me and direct me back to the Proscan voicemail #. I need contact info.

Username: Macalongtimeago

I have an old, big proscan tv model PS35660, serial # 516656201. Lost manual but it looks like it says 1995 on the back. I was watching it and the picture went off. It doesn't even power up now. I thought it might have a reset but don't see one. Is there anything I can do? Please help me! I am connected to direct tv via sattilite.

Username: Leichler1

Proscan RCA 36"
Manufactured by Thomson Consumer Electronics Model PS36123
36 Diagonal

The problem is that the picture shrinks down to a horezental line across the center of the screen.If I tap the TV hard the picture will come back on for a while
I have heard that this generation or model was known for bad solderiing.

Where might the component be located?And what component do you think it may be?

Username: Beirutvet

I Have a Proscan PS52682, I diagnosed the HV Splitter as bad and replaced it but I was wrong. Any more Ideas? The set just clicks and the light blinks three or more times.

Username: Torontotvguy

I have found in past that if I press the ON button for a loooooong time it continues to click as if it is going to turn on but nothing happens except for the clicking. Last time it did this I kept pushing the ON button and eventually it came on. Taking advice from this board I am going to open the back (with due care) and vacuum it out and blow it out with compressed air; then try again. Failing which, we have already purchased a new 52" plasma TV that works like a charm and is HDTV rather that IDTV. Any other suggestions? Time for this baby to go. Any reasonable offer; come and take it away. Model PS35682 and when it does come on it works GREAT! In fact, it's the best TV we have ever owned. Am tempted to drop the $200 and get it repaired but what the heck am I going to do with it? Located in Toronto area. If interested send offer to jjachin2@yahoo.com.

Username: Centaurox

hi I have a proscan 15la12q and unfortunately I dont have the remote control, I have harmony but when I try to change channels with 2 digits the TV doesnt accept that, can you help me out to know how the original remote does? use a a botton 10/100 or _/__/__ plase send me a email to centaurox7@gmail.com

Username: Mforgiven67

Hi everyone, I have a PS56700 Proscan TV. Unfortunately, the remote of the Television broke. Can anyone tell me where to get one??

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 353
Usually what one would do is buy a universal remote.

see if http://www.123remotes.com/proscan.asp has the remote

Username: Mrs_oct_06

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS USA

I have a brand new Proscan 40"hd that was just purchased at the beginning of the month. I was watching the tv and cooking, all of a sudden i started smelling a odd burning odor. I thought maybe some plastic was burning .After i got ready to sit down to finish watching CSI, the tv had no picture and i hasnt had one all day. I can hear the program but i cant see it. I know its under warranty but that just seems rather odd.

Username: Milacar

I purchased a Proscan Tv in 2010. I took the TV to Brazil and when I pluged in the TV is now working Black and White. Can somebody help me turnn it back to color?
Thanks a lot.

Username: Bruceg

Windsor, NS Nova Scotia Canada

I have a Proscan PLA20Q TV that we bought sometime after July 2007. I think the PS has failed. The symptoms are the power light flashes on and off. It is like the TV tries to power up but trips on overload then tries again. Where do I buy a power supply, is it worth trying to repair or get repaired?

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16685
Your Tv can be repaired by any RCA service point!

Username: Simple_man

I have a 1996 model Proscan rear projection TV. After it's on an hour or so, it starts making a loud ticking sound and turns itself off. It comes back on by itself but then ticks again and goes back off. This repeats 4 or 5 times then it shut down completely.

I took the cover off the back and watched while it was acting up. Two things observed: 1.The blue CRT goes on and off in time with the ticking 2. About every third time it shuts down there is a snapping sound and a flash coming from what looks to be a circuit breaker on the board.

When the problem first began I thought something may have been overheating so I put a small fan behind the TV, blowing into the back of the chassis. It went from shutting off in an hour or less to staying on for 5-6 hours before acting up but now it's back to less than an hour before shutting down even with the fan.

I really like this TV and would like to keep it going if possible. Any Ideas?

Username: Itsmegreenie1

We just bought a PROSCAN tv, model number is PLDED3273A-E, we live in an area that we are unable to get any digital channels, and we are stuck on the part of the setup of AUTO SCAN FOR CHANNELS, please, please can someone help us??? I really want to watch movies on the new blue ray... Ty!!!

Username: Cengizsur

I have a Proscan PS31108 and my kid started pushing buttons when i was not around and now all i have is a static screen. i have been thru the menu and cannot get the TV pic back.

Username: Zunairahshahzad

Seeking for a copy of the Owners Manual for a PROSCAN PS31151 that was manufactured in 82. Please help me..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us